View Poll Results: Which three of these stories have a certain rogueish charm?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Listeri69 - A New Beginning.

5 21.74%
  • 02 - Splendour - Valour's Station

2 8.70%
  • 03 - DocStone - Three years a Rogue

4 17.39%
  • 04 - KalRyper - Let sleeping rogues lie

3 13.04%
  • 05 - azdour - A Rogue Story

2 8.70%
  • 06 - Erik Marcaigh - Sticky Situation

1 4.35%
  • 07 - Darren Grey - The Adventuring Party

2 8.70%
  • 08 - CdrTwisted - Bienvenue a Gram

0 0%
  • 09 - Frank - The Little Missile That Could

5 21.74%
  • 10 - Simoof - The Rogue Vote

3 13.04%
  • 11 - insanephoton - Rogues Gallery

2 8.70%
  • 12 - MrMogadon - Toby the Trapper

3 13.04%
  • 13 - T.j - Rupert the Rogue's righteous response

8 34.78%
  • 14 - Galactic Midden - Concord with the Shadows

1 4.35%
  • 15 - Bleke - Reluctant Rogue

1 4.35%
  • 16 - Telakin - All in good taste

7 30.43%
  • 17 - Alex Merion-Turner - Welcome Home

3 13.04%
  • 18 - Goose4291 - Hostile Negotiations

1 4.35%
  • 19 - Ian Phillips - Know your enemy

2 8.70%
  • 20 - Darkoba - A Problem with Drink?

6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Writing Contest: Rogues

Drabble Writing Contest: Rogues

Welcome to the 92nd Drabble Line-Up. We have 20 of the most nefarious stories ever to grace the stars. This week's topic of "ROGUES" was brought to you by the very suspicious Darren Grey.

Above me is a bunch of options in a poll. It's a multiple choice poll but please limit yourself to only the three votes. The results of the poll will be announced on Monday morning. Not only will the winner receive a stylish imaginary toilet paper crown, they will win the honour of deciding next week's topic. Knowing this bunch there's a good chance someone has already decided he deserves the prize himself, and the imaginary toilet paper crown will be nowhere to be seen.

DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! Anyone caught voting for themselves will be locked in a high tower with no means of escape.

Audio Version Here
    Video Version

01 - Listeri69 - A New Beginning.

The Orca purred as the engines shifted from supercruise into normal drive.
    Jeff exited from the cockpit and slumped on one of the fine leather couches,
    He could leave it all behind now, the poverty, deprivation and addiction; everything.
    Jeff had begged, borrowed and stole his way to a ticket on a fast ship to nowhere.
    Somewhere far enough away to become unknown.
    Standing up he kicked one of the bodies that lay in his way
    He would expose them nonchalantly to the vacuum of space soon enough.

Jeff had gone rogue, and there was a whole galaxy of opportunity.

02 - Splendour - Valour's Station

William gazed icely out of the window of his penthouse apartment, not seeing the lazy wheel of the stars outside the station.

Behind him the majordomo fell to his knees, begging for mercy over the typographical error.

Tonight's Grand Ball would feature every eligible imperial daughter within 100 lightyears of A Nation (whatever possessed his uncle Valour to name the station that? it was preposterous!), and his staff couldn't even find his cosmetics? He would be laughing stock without blusher.

The fool had the gall to wheel in that crate of criminals!

Such a parcel of rogues in A Nation.

03 - DocStone - Three years a Rogue

D’Alran settled himself into his chair and waited, eyes scanning the blackness of space. Nothing. Silence enveloped the bridge, broken only by the faint sounds of the ice spreading across his canopy; its ghostly fingers flickering across the glass.

It’s been three years since he turned rogue, three years without the shackles of bureaucracy holding him back. Three years delivering true justice to illegal slavers, freeing those unable to free themselves.

There. A star flickered out of existence for a second, then another. His body tensed as he brought the ship up to full power.

Time to make a difference.

04 - KalRyper - Let sleeping rogues lie

It was already dark: the nearest star lost among the dim, scattered specs.
    The large object in front did nothing to brighten the mood either.

"Is it an abandoned station? You can just make out the chamfered sides."
    "It's certainly big enough. Use the lights."

The quartz-like surface refracted and absorbed the illuminations.
    The octagonal shape retained its mystery. Any evidence of access, concealed.

"No idea. Scan it."

It woke.

Mottled grey light crawled along the edges.
    It pitched back, offering a shorter profile. Beneath it, a pearlescent cloud coalesced.
    Aware, miniature versions of itself swarmed towards the lone anaconda.

05 - azdour - A Rogue Story

The lone figure crept into the isolated landing bay. It's target a sidewinder.

Over the last few weeks this sidewinders story had started to evolve into a myth, spreading throughout the galaxy.

As the figure tried to open the sidewinders hatch, three hidden rogues leapt into action, taking them down.

They searched the body looking for anything they could sell for a quick credit.

Disposing of the body, the rogues returned, pleased to know that more victims would fall for the fake story they had posted on Galnet.

And that's how the story of Hank Stone and the gold started.

06 - Erik Marcaigh - Sticky Situation

The bounty hunter's Fer-de-lance charged in, further crippling the Orca just 10,000km from Winnard's Hole. Rose made a call to a friend she hoped was in the area and a minute later, Bloodless the Rogue came out of nowhere, his Python driving the bounty hunter back out of the fight.

"Rose, I be missin' ya, but am glad ya showed. I be a bit down on me luck and need credits, ya understand?"

As the Orca glided into its dock, Rose was putting on makeup. Seamus glanced over, "Fashion tip for your date. Use more rouge. Bloodless likes it."

07 - Darren Grey - The Adventuring Party

See that Vulture above? That’s our party's Warrior. Likes to smash in, cause chaos, no mind for defence or aim. Not my style, guv.

Left's our Cleric, in his Cobra MkIII. Preachy, likes traditional tactics, always misty-eyed about the olden days. Sends me to sleep...

Below's the Anaconda, our resident Wizard. Got more utilities than you can shake a knobbly stick at. Proper tricked out, but lacking in subtlety.

Me? No, you won’t see me. I'm in my Eagle - silent, stealthy, and attacking you just where it hurts most. Dontcher know, guv? Rogues like doing it from behind.

08 - CdrTwisted - Bienvenue a Gram

Superintendent Roget sighed. Another bloody comedian. He hailed the Cobra. "Welcome to Gram, commander -- Ze gateway to Piscium Sector JY-Q A5-2."

"System Security, right?"

"Oui."

"So you're the Grammar Police?".

"Grammer Police. To be precise."

More stifled laughter. Roget's finger vellicated the fire button.

"Don't you feel ridic... re-diculous?"

"Non."

"It's not that big of a deal, right? Is this totally cliche, Captain Grammer?"

Roget examined his console. There was a way to hack the navcomm, if he could just remember... Ah. Yes.

The cobra turned red. Bingo.

"Goodbye commander." Roget smiled. "You've just gone rouge."

And pew followed pew.

09 - Frank - The Little Missile That Could

It was a dumb missile. Dumber because its brain was frazzled by an explosion behind it, as its owner's ship chrysanthemummed into a million bright pieces.

Black-Hearted Greebe deftly jinked clear of the missile.

The missile wasn't told to abort by its dead owner. It had forgotten to self-destruct after thirty minutes. It just continued straight ahead.

- - - - -

Parenthood had reformed Greebe. He'd used the money from his dubious past to build a mining business for his children. He wasn't even aware of the ancient missile heading for him. One minute he was out fixing his cargo scoop, the next, gone.

10 - Simoof - The Rogue Vote

A few burgers shy of morbid obesity, Tommy slowly glooped into his pilot chair.

He had messed up. Big time. It would not go unnoticed.
    It was almost Monday. Results had been finalised.

He took solace from the galaxy map. Somewhere out there he could hide. He could start anew.

Why did they make the boxes so small? Stupid fat fingers.

Waypoint set. Before jumping he viewed the bulletin-board one last time, hoping he'd been mistaken.
    No - there it was for all to see.
    CdrTwisted had remained at 2.

But just above, horrifically:
    TJ - A question of taste... 3 votes.

11 - insanephoton - Rogues Gallery

It's him, I'm sure of it. Long seconds pass before the scan confirms my hunch.
    Silently I wait for him to move somewhere less public.
    Finally he heads for his ship. The corridor is empty, now I can strike.
    My tranquiliser gun finds it's mark. He stumbles around confused for a moment as the drug takes effect, then he collapses.
    Now it's time to hand him over to the authorities and collect the bounty
    I glance at the galaxy's 'most wanted' screen
    The word 'captured' appears momentarily by his name before another criminal takes his place in the rogues gallery.

12 - MrMogadon - Toby the Trapper

The Imperial fleet approached Mosaic Station at flank speed.

“Fight them to the last man! No Surrender!” screamed station commander Pirate Pete, flecks of spittle forming on his lips; a maniacal gleam in his eye.

“Leave him”, whispered Toby moving to the docking bay. “We only get one life, so no use throwing it away against an unstoppable force. Better to run from the shadow of death and live as a cowardly rogue. I’ve set booby-traps throughout and the reactor to overload.

Let Sick Peter go down with his station”

Boarding his ship, FireTail, Toby left the station, running cold.

13 - T.j - Rupert the Rogue's righteous response

The repulsive headline read.

Rupert the regal, rambunctious rogue was rattled and rightly so.

"Revenge!" Rupert roared.

He repeatedly rammed Reginald the repugnant reporter's ship's rear, revelling and regaling as the remnants of the ruined ship reeled before him.

"Right" he reposted "Railgun isn't really required, however I'll revel in the righteousness of my retort.

He realigned the railgun's reticule, rat-a-tat-tat reverberated round him. The railgun relinquished it's repository of shells as they ricocheted off the remains of his target.

Reginald had reported his last report.

Retribution requires rapid response....Roguishness is rapturous Rupert rejoiced.

14 - Galactic Midden - Concord with the Shadows

Risking concord with the Shadows means times must be dark indeed, but the danger to you is nothing compared to the peril you put your victim in.

"Stygian One, payment complete".

The masked death squad swarms into action. Perilous like midnight storms they surge, swells of destruction crashing towards the berthed ship.

'Hatchett' strikes first, expertly violating the Anaconda's hold and allowing 'Cleaver' to float through. 'Pincers' is next, racing to hunt their sleeping quarry; a crew unaware that a flood's about to swallow them.

As 'Pincers' rips cabins asunder, 'Cleaver' and 'Hatchett' brutally pitch the hapless crew into shadow.

15 - Bleke - Reluctant Rogue

Jeffrey didn't like to dwell on the reasons for him being an outlaw. Suffice to say, the real culprit was someone else. The illegal actions he had to resort to to get the necessities of life, however, had long since stopped being a burden on his conscience.

The death of the crew in that trading vessel was unfortunate, but he needed their transponder to dock.

"Release my family!"

Jeffrey was examining a vial.

"Sorry doc, no can do. Rest assured that they will be released, at a safe place, once I'm sure you did a good job on my family."

16 - Telakin - All in good taste

"Mummy, are rogues bad?"

"Why do you ask, dear?"

Madeleine looked at her daughter as she put dinner on the table.

"Mrs. Snyder told Simon off for dressing up with guns and eye-patch for Kindergarten. She said that even pretending to be a rogue was in bad taste".

"Well, I'm sure she has her reasons. I consider it a profession like many others. In the end it's just about mouths that need feeding."

She sat down with a smile, glancing at the food container on the kitchen counter, it's federation logo and "crew meal" stamped on the side slightly scorched.

17 - Alex Merion-Turner - Welcome Home

Prime fracking ring-pieces, the lot of them.

The starfield spins slowly, slightly blurred by the greasy remlok visor. Yes I should bloody clean the damn thing from time to time, but after two months exploring on the fringe it's not the first in the maintenance priority list.

Two fracking months wasted, two god dammed fracking months!

The torn and burned remains of my beloved Asp rotate into view.

Fracking dolts!

Call themselves pirates? They didn't even scan me, I was carrying no cargo at all.

No demands, nothing.

Fracking god dammed psychopaths!

I feel nothing but futility, despair, and hate.

18 - Goose4291 - Hostile Negotiations

Mercator Lucius Silvonus stood nervously by the cargo hatch of his Hauler, looking furtively at his watch every half minute or so whilst trying poorly to remain inconspicuous
    He’d been drafted by the Ministerium to provide transport for four ‘independent citizens’ whom wished to visit the planet Serklich, a fairly mundane independent mining colony on his trade route. The colonies overseer, Governor Smith was refusing to yield to the Imperial Ambassador over resource rights.
    The four non-descript individuals returned not one moment late. Two were dragging a child sized cargo container. One of them gestured to him. “We leave now”.

19 - Ian Phillips - Know your enemy

He shifted in his seat, a sigh unconsiously escaping as he moved. From his new position he studied the subject further. As with every other time, a new viewpoint revealed new perspectives for him to consider. This was proving to be a task of epic proportions.

He made some notes in his holographic e-pad and shifted his chair to sit in front of the next object in line for his scrutiny. Research was of the utmost importance to a bounty hunter. This mutilple target contract needed careful preparation.

He continued his study of the rogues gallery of Lave radio mug-shots.

20 - Darkoba - A Problem with Drink?

Travelling to Sol from Merlin, the pirate called in at Barnard's. In the Thargoid-and-Fer-de-Lance he requested a pint of 'Riedquatian-True-Brew'. Downing the drink in one, he grimaced, spat out "RUBBISH!" and left without paying.

Sven was livid.

Returning from Sol, the rogue called in at the 'Thargoid' again and sat at the bar.

Sven approached.

"You! Out! But first, pay for that True-Brew!"

"What are you talking about?"

"The ale you didn't pay for last week!"

"What d'you mean. I've never, ever, been here before."

"Really?" Sven said, non-plussed. "Then you must have a double."

"Alright, make it a Janx."

My, I'm really impressed with the quality this week! I guess that shows the value of a topic close to my heart... My initial shortlist had 7 drabbles on it. It took some hard choices to whittle that down to three.
    Tales from the Frontier - an anthology of official Elite: Dangerous stories

Originally Posted by Darren Grey View Post (Source)
    My, I'm really impressed with the quality this week! I guess that shows the value of a topic close to my heart... My initial shortlist had 7 drabbles on it. It took some hard choices to whittle that down to three.
    To me a drabble is not a drabble until its been dribbled from kows babblehole.

Originally Posted by Simoof View Post (Source)
    To me a drabble is not a drabble until its been dribbled from kows babblehole.
    His babblehole?.. That is his mouth isn't it?

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! Anyone caught voting for themselves will be locked in a hightower with no means of escape.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMITH12obit-articleLarge.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	20824

"You want to put what in me?"

Wow. <-Like that, T.j?

T.j's tied for the lead with Frank & Telakin! How long will it last?

3.... 2.... 1....

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    Wow. <-Like that, T.j?

T.j's tied for the lead with Frank & Telakin! How long will it last?

3.... 2.... 1....
    Maybe a bit longer than you thought, Erik. They currently have equal shares of 50% of all votes cast.

The three Musketeers?

Let's not go there again, my great, great, great... great gran's neighbour will be turning in her grave!

To go beyond (in Kaze no Uta)... to drabble a bit ... and then return

...isn't sure what's going on.
    3....3.....3 votes?

OMG!!

Does a little happy dance, then realises I'll have to change my new avatar to Arthur 3 votes Jackson.

Still well chuffed.

Name:  original.gif
Views: 133
Size:  71.2 KB

And I've added my votes, good luck everyone.

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    3....3.....3 votes?

OMG!!

Does a little happy dance, then realises I'll have to change my new avatar to Arthur 3 votes Jackson.

Still well chuffed.

Name:  original.gif
Views: 133
Size:  71.2 KB

And I've added my votes, good luck everyone.
    So no lessons learned I see... oh well. I tried.

Originally Posted by Simoof View Post (Source)
    So no lessons learned I see... oh well. I tried.
    It's was always going to be that way.

9 voters so far. Come on folks get those votes in for your favourite 3 drabbles.

Looking forward to the reading tonight on psykokow's twitch feed and lave radio.

http://laveradio.com

http://twitch.tv/psykokow.

It's was always going to be that way.

9 voters so far. Come on folks get those votes in for your favourite 3 drabbles.

Looking forward to the reading tonight on psykokow's twitch feed and lave radio.

http://laveradio.com
    Do you think you'll get anything other than a golf clap. You could write a Drabble that would cause Shakespeare to weep, and psykokow would still just give you a golf clap.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Do you think you'll get anything other than a golf clap. You could write a Drabble that would cause Shakespeare to weep, and psykokow would still just give you a golf clap.
    I know, he's never forgiven me for that incident at the launch party.....

Especially after last weeks name discussion,

3....3.....3 votes?

OMG!!
    Obviously a mistake. I´ll edit it back down to 2 for you.
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

A good idea. And tell people to watch their fat fingers an' all.

OP updated with the Video and Audio feeds

thanks to all who tuned in....

Video is still processing so will be LIVE and WORKING soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast