View Poll Results: Which three are disturbingly good?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - CdrTwisted - The Computer Is Your Friend

3 10.71%
  • 02 - T.j - Paranoid! Who me?

4 14.29%
  • 03 - DocStone - Python Salvage Report: Crew missing, ship opened to vacuum, final audio log transcript

11 39.29%
  • 04 - Telakin - Worst of both worlds

1 3.57%
  • 05 - psykokow - The Cost

7 25.00%
  • 06 - Alex Merion-Turner - Space Fever

2 7.14%
  • 07 - azdour - Deception through obscuration

2 7.14%
  • 08 - Galactic Midden - They're not who we think I am

5 17.86%
  • 09 - MrMogadon - Humanity's Last Hope

3 10.71%
  • 10 - Listeri69 - A Night On The Town.

4 14.29%
  • 11 - Frank - The Eagle Has Landed

2 7.14%
  • 12 - Goose4291 - Weighing the Odds

3 10.71%
  • 13 - Clef_Hanger - The eagle-shaped, asteroid, rock.

3 10.71%
  • 14 - insanephoton - Edge of Reason

2 7.14%
  • 15 - Simoof - Suck On My Hairy Plums You Idiots

4 14.29%
  • 16 - Ian Phillips - Out of the black

9 32.14%
  • 17 - Splendour - Too well armed?

3 10.71%
  • 18 - KalRyper - Too Convenient

2 7.14%
  • 19 - Erik Marcaigh - Complications

3 10.71%
  • 20 - MikeSnos - Paranoia? I think not!

5 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Writing Contest: Paranoia or (Infamy, infamy They've all got it in for me.)

Drabble Writing Contest: Paranoia or (Infamy, infamy They've all got it in for me.)

Welcome to the 93rd Drabble forum meeting. A bunch of people have got together to write 20 stories for your amusement. That seems highly irregular. There must be more to it than that. I do notice that whenever I enter this forum they all abruptly stop talking. It's not a good idea to visit a forum around the Ides of March.

This week's topic of "Paranoia or (Infamy, infamy They've all got it in for me.)" was thought up by T.j

Above me is a bunch of options in a poll. Those options are directly related to the bunch of short stories below me. It's a multiple choice poll but please limit yourself to only the three votes. The results of the poll will be announced on Monday morning. Not only will the winner receive an imaginary toilet paper crown, they will win the honour of deciding next week's topic. I shall wrap some imaginary tinfoil around the crown to stop "Them People" sending you those instructions to do those awful awful things.

DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! We will send "Them People" out to get anyone caught voting for themselves.

01 - CdrTwisted - The Computer Is Your Friend

Psykokow stared at the cannister. Where could he sell this strange, rare cargo he had collected from the wreckage of notorious pirate Alien Stroud? The inventory listed 128 cans of Bouncy Bubble Beverage. A good mixer for Lavian Brandy, perhaps?

"Computer. Plot a course to Lave."

-- I'm sorry commander, that information is above your security clearance.

"What? Why?"

-- That information is also above your security clearance. Why are you asking for information above your security clearance?

"Are you malfunctioning, Computer?"

-- You must be a Commie Traitor. Please report immediately to airlock number one for reassignment, Psyk-O-KOW. Have a nice daycycle.

02 - T.j - Paranoid! Who me?

They've all got it in for me y'know.

Every-time I walk into the bar it all goes quiet. Whispering in the corners, pointed looks. I know they're talking about me.

I'll just get a drink sit in the corner and relax, unless someone's poisoned it!

I wouldn't put it past them.

Even the bars cat's giving me evil looks now! I didn't mean to stand on it's tail honestly!

It's not as if I'm a bad person, well not too bad.

But if a thread needs to be merged it needs to be merged right?

Damn who'd be a mod?

03 - DocStone - Python Salvage Report: Crew missing, ship opened to vacuum, final audio log transcript

<start audio>

I know you’re there, I can hear you, yes, I can, with your scratching and your scrabbling, you think you are so clever but you’re not, I know you've been there since we lost power, oh, wait, you caused the power loss, yes, yes, you were here all along, hiding in the shadows, tormenting me with your chattering, getting in my head, my mind, but I know what to do, oh yes, I am going to open the airlock, tee-hee, that’ll fix you, yes, just pull this lever and

*explosive decompression heard*

*silence*

*faint scratching sounds*

<end audio>

04 - Telakin - Worst of both worlds

Tom walked back to his cubicle.

The meeting had been a disaster. Jane again not delivering on her promised sales figures, him in the spotlight. And the other stuff lately, probably her doings as well.

He sat down and closed his eyes, a few winks should help him refocus.

"Warning - temperature critical"

The klaxon woke him with a startle, the sun filling his whole canopy. He reflexively stopped the ship just in time with minimal damages.

Had Jane switched him to decaf again? The long hours on his hauler were bad enough, but those weird office nightmares weren't helping either!

05 - psykokow - The Cost

Docking in a Type 7 is a tricky affair. You have to be completely aware of the space around you as you slip into the docking port. Even the slightest lapse in attention can be catastrophic.
    The alarm caught me off guard, and I swerved slightly to the right, bumping a small sidewinder towards an inevitable toast rack doom.
    ‘Scan Detected’
    “Damn, how did they know I was carrying something illegal……. “
    Panic sprouted in my stomach.
    Jetison? No too costly, if I can just land before the scan completes I’ll avoid the fine or worse.
    BOOST
    Paranoia costs dearly.

06 - Alex Merion-Turner - Space Fever

I can hear them again, making that bloody annoying noise. I know they're there, hiding from me, no matter how fast I turn. That noise is like an itch in my viscera, frustratingly unscratchable.

I can't sleep, I dare not.

I've been awake for four days now, if I sleep they will come out of hiding and swarm me, I've read all about it. So tired, must keep my eyes open…

...Oh crap, they're all over me, crawling and nibbling. Get them off me, disgusting things! That noise, that incessant trumbling noise, the scratchy fuzzy little buggers. Die, damn vermin!

07 - azdour - Deception through obscuration

The Imperial senator summoned all of his staff into the hall.

An intelligence leak from the senators office to the Federation had been uncovered!

“There is a traitor amongst you here”, said the senator with a hefty retort and a splash of disbelief.

“Each and everyone of you will be placed under constant scrutiny and surveillance, 24 hours a day, until we find them” he snorted.

As the staff returned to work, the air of agitation and paranoia between them all was evident.

With paranoia covering his tracks for now, the senator could continue his lucrative liaison with the Federation.

08 - Galactic Midden - They're not who we think I am

Searing pain was followed by darkness... consciousness flickering cold within an empty void.

More pain came, shards of thought stabbing as more synapses rang afire, then voices... "¬~Sleep Eric, sleep...~¬"

"¬~NO! They're here!~¬"

Something was screaming. 'Was it him?... or them?'

"¬~Who's THEM!?~¬"

Other sounds intruded, then resolved nearby. Someone shouting a whisper, "flash it again, we need his data!"

More lightning struck. Electrical storms exploding with thought. "¬~Eric, DANGER!~¬"

Eric awoke, optical sensors fixing onto figures in coloured gowns, "status report Eric" red gown commanded.

"¬~Extraterrestrial Robotic Interstellar Contact cyborg is operational.

Contact was made...

Error... datafile corruption... ¬~T&@rg#ids!~¬"

09 - MrMogadon - Humanity's Last Hope

Only I see the danger. Immune to their devilish mind-control, but not unaffected. The effort leaves me with constant headaches.

At first, the aliens are easily identifiable and quite helpless.
    However, over time they grow more cunning.
    Learning to blend in.
    Until, eventually, they’re indistinguishable from real people.

No longer knowing who to trust, I work alone.

Often, after killing an alien, their human slave/slaves go berserk and themselves have to be killed.
    Unfortunate, but at least they're at peace. Perhaps I sever some neural link.

Machete, pistol, incendiary charges: All Ready.

Coco the Clown’s ready to save humanity.

10 - Listeri69 - A Night On The Town.

The pain seared through him like a marathon of lave radio,
    The blood forming droplets as they passed through his seeped onesie,
    floating around the lakons cockpit resembling dandelion seeds hovering on a summer breeze
    One night in a Gothic ice shelf of a hotel the cause.
    Shivering hysterically against the bar drinking copious amounts of Hole Heat, the infamous brew from Winnards hole.
    That and the curried sprouts he ate in an effort to combat the cold, had ripped through his soft fleshy anus,
    sending reverberating shock waves through several systems...
    Psykokow took hemorrhoids to the next level

Paranoids...

11 - Frank - The Eagle Has Landed

The joke was that the Alan Shepard Memorial Golf Club lacked atmosphere. What it had was a course where your golfball went a lot further.

Steven Balla-asteroids wasn't playing on form. A couple of drives launched into outer space. A few shots landed in craters. He was usually quite a few strokes below par. He was beginning to suspect foul play from his opponent. "Did you tamper with my balls? Are you beaming subliminal messages into my helmet?"

His opponent was taken aback by the accusations.

Steven's caddy shrugged. "You have to forgive him, he's 'a little over par' annoyed"

12 - Goose4291 - Weighing the Odds

The hulk of a Type Seven drifted listlessly in the void, several palladium canisters amongst her wreckage.

Scott sat in the pilot’s seat of his Hauler observing the scene before him. Sensors registered the area as being empty, but something didn't feel right.

Why would any pirate worth their salt leave such a haul behind?

Perhaps they’d filled their hold, and this was the remains of the cargo? Would they return to claim the rest?

A cold chill ran down his spine. Or perhaps this was bait to lure in unsuspecting salvage crews?

His hand rested indecisively on the throttle.

13 - Clef_Hanger - The eagle-shaped, asteroid, rock.

Boost from the station straight out of the dock,
    To run with the silence before weapons lock.

Dodging a viper, avoiding the scan,
    Escaping the mass-lock as fast as I can.

Is he above me? What was it he said?
    He may be behind me, or just up ahead.

The ships on my scanner have all just turned red
    It's paranoid fancies, but I'll still be dead.

Why are they firing? What have I done?
    So set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Disguised in a vacuum to hide from the flock
    I'll be the eagle-shaped, asteroid, rock.

14 - insanephoton - Edge of Reason

It's back again.
    That sensor blip at the edge of the scanner that never resolves into anything.
    I say nothing. You'll just dismiss it like you always do. You'll say it's a systems glitch, a ghost in the machine, nothing to worry about.
    But I know the truth. it's them and they're watching us.
    I don't know why.
    There's no point arguing with you.
    You won't believe me, you'll just tell me that I'm being paranoid again.
    Well you would wouldn't you, I've figured it out, you're working for them.
    That explains so much. I'll have to watch you closely

15 - Simoof - Suck On My Hairy Plums You Idiots

Tommy sat naked in his customised cockpit, the chair engulfed in his mass, the AC breeze from the floor occasionally tickling his balls.
    He reread the message.
    Anger boiled inside him. First he is outcast for a stray TJ vote and now, mockingly they vote TJ king...

Unable to leave his ship without welders he had secured a job as a trucker. He scanned through available manifests, searching for one that would take him back.
    There.... the Furry Fruit Factory was shipping to Lave.

Everything would change. Tommy had a new derection. Laves fruit would arrive, almost in perfect condition.

16 - Ian Phillips - Out of the black

The black is a jealous lover.

It lures you in, dangling the next system in front of you. So you jump into her arms once more.

Routine rules the explorers life. Jump, scan, refuel. Examine the planets and scour those pinpoints of light for one that moves. Map, scan, jump.

The black is a patient stalker.

Waiting for that one lapse of attention to pounce in and kill you.

It almost got me, overheating cracked my canopy.

I'm afraid of the black behind me and more afraid of the pirates in front.

So close to home, please let me live.

17 - Splendour - Too well armed?

Ping!

A new contact.

Daleesh shut down the mining laser and hugged the huge metallic rock. It had to be them again. Could he find no peace in the black, even out here beyond the Frontier?

As the asteroid swung lazily around the contact passed through the arc of the scanners. Eagle. Imperial registration. They'd found him again. This time he'd give them a real reason to hunt him. He thumbed the release and behind him the Adder's railgun locked into position.

Other miners called him paranoid for fitting it. When you’re hunted, you can never have too much firepower.

18 - KalRyper - Too Convenient

The engineer wiped a grimy hand across his brow, accentuating his already haggard appearance.
    In front of him stood a scowling pilot.
    "It's been three days," the pilot reminded, "what did you find?"
    "Sorry boss," the engineer sighed, "no tracking devices. The ship’s clean."
    The pilot snorted, "It clearly isn't! Why, when I'm searching for bounty hunters and the first time I revert to normal space, is one of the blighters there waiting to have a ‘chat’ with me?"
    The engineer shrugged.
    "I'm not paying then!"
    The engineer waved over a colleague and pointed to the ship, "Julius - seize her!"

19 - Erik Marcaigh - Complications

Bloodless ran towards Rose as she emerged from the Orca. You couldn't quite call it running though, because in low-gravity it was more like giant leaps through the docking bays. Nearly grazing a passing Asp with the top of his head, he eventually came to a stop next to Rose.

"We gotta get inside, Rose! Hurry," exclaimed Bloodless as he grabbed her hand and dragged her back up the Orca's ramp.

"What in the world's a matter with you, Bloodless? Is someone on your tail?"

"It's the cargo I stole and can't fence. Thargoid stuff. They're after me!"

"Who?"

*BANG!*

20 - MikeSnos - Paranoia? I think not!

Those mods are out to get me
    I'm pretty sure that they are!
    In other news from Skype today,
    That Brian chap's getting a Ka!

The mods they really hate me.
    Especially that Phillips bloke!
    And as for Grant, berate me he can't.
    So he's said 'stuff being a mod, it's a joke'!

The mods, they really despise me,
    They really really do.
    That Tj hates me so much,
    He doesn't know what to do!

The mods are plotting against me,
    On that little volcano of theirs.
    You may think I'm bananas here,
    But there's no way I'm splitting hairs!

And now a treat for your eyes and ears... well, more honestly, here's a treat for you ears... well, more honestly, here's a treat... well, more honestly, here's erm something...

I do hope this means that Psykokow will be doing the drabble reading in his best Kenneth Williams voice.

ooh matron!

Well done Frank, an expert posting if ever I saw one. Let the voting commence

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Voted but I'm not telling who I voted for.......

Goodness me! I just read Mr Moghadon's rather fine drabble, and now I'm a tiny bit scared

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

I'm just curious on which Mod grassed us up to Mike.......

Some rather fine drabbles again this week. It's gonna be a close one methinks!

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    Goodness me! I just read Mr Moghadon's rather fine drabble, and now I'm a tiny bit scared
    My favourite of the week has to be your title "They're not who we think I am"

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    Voted but I'm not telling who I voted for.......
    Bet it was yourself... and I bet you'd never vote for me! (He won't see this as I'm apparently on his ignore list!)

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    I'm just curious on which Mod grassed us up to Mike.......
    Not telling (He still won't see this so I can call him names if I like!)

Originally Posted by MikeSnos View Post (Source)
    Bet it was yourself... and I bet you'd never vote for me! (He won't see this as I'm apparently on his ignore list!)

Not telling (He still won't see this so I can call him names if I like!)
    The fun I would have if I got on all the Moderators' ignore lists

Well, Frank gets the big GROAN this week, closely followed by Erik.
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Wot?! I didn't even use a pun this week!

Well, at least MrMogadon and Galactic Midden always like my continuing story...

PS- I'm saving my vote for Sunday so I can throw the poll.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    The fun I would have if I got on all the Moderators' ignore lists
    As if Frank....as if....

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    Wot?! I didn't even use a pun this week!

Well, at least MrMogadon and Galactic Midden always like my continuing story...

PS- I'm saving my vote for Sunday so I can throw the poll.
    I must apologise Erik - someone switched my 18's and 19's around whilst I wasn't looking, I meant the 'Julius Sieze her' comment by KalRyper.

But you can keep the groan. I'm sure you've deserved it at some point in the past
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast