• 07 Philip Coutts -- Mind Your Own Business

2 14.29%
  • 08 Darren Grey -- Devoid

4 28.57%
  • 09 Frank -- Heavens Above

3 21.43%
  • 10 Bikky -- At the dance

0 0%
  • 11 Insanephoton -- Lost in space (station)

3 21.43%
  • 12 Rog -- Glitter

9 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: Navigation

Drabble Poll: Navigation

Voting should be a lot easier this week with only 12 entries to choose from. It may be a small selection but they're all perfectly formed. Please show your appreciation for these Drabbles by casting your votes.

Vote for up to three of your favourite Drabbles, and don't be voting for your own Drabble. I've got NSA-approved micro-cameras hidden around the homes of the contestants to check if they're cheatin'.

So the pistol has fired. The finishing line is Sunday night. Good luck to my fellow contestants. I hope nobody gets lost on the way.

01 Azdour - When all seems lost

One more shot on target would destroy us, bringing the enemy victory.

Calmly I switch to manual flight and head towards the 'Henway', a transport that was in its last death throes.

My co-pilot gasps as I skilfully avoid the weapon fire and squeeze our ship through the transports exposed hull.

The enemy follows, seeking a quick victory.

Navigating the cargo hold I spot the canisters I prayed were there.

A quick nudge from us releases them, allowing our engines to ignite them.

From the jaws of defeat I snatch the victory.

But then again nothing beats my skilful navigation...

02 Eyota Winterwalker - Dead Reckoning

Collected; Riedquat. Tier 1. A High VIP, delivery for Independence.

Low speed, mid orbit, a shuttle or something. Making less suspicious.
    Hyper; system south, mislaying scent. We head North

Keying jump two, when guess what?
    A lone assassin spawns in.

The drive remains wound, so I let it enter cycle,
    Engaging a "special" subroutine, as I feel the witchspace build.

Relaying centre of x,yz, computer blips and Assassin takes bait, entering the trap, he will follow any signature.

In Witchspace we have hours, so Reidquat helps me to decide ..
    In the centre of which Sun, should that Stalker reappear?

03 W4rSkuLL - Scavenging, and onesies in space

"Space, and its final frontiers".

Dick, looked out of his Worm class scout ship at the carnage floating in front of him.

It surely was the "last final frontier" for all of the corpses drifting towards him.

He had to keep his tongue straight now, navigating through the dense debris field.

The Worms speed was slow to get to one of the pods ahead. This could be the payday of the year.

Limbs floated by, the scene was grim. "Ohhhh, onesies".

He could even see some deep space diapers racing him towards the scoop.

"Well, they wont need those anymore."

04 Ian Phillips - Marching to the navy gates

The drill sergeants bellow echoed over the parade ground.

“New recruits, fall in.
    Right you 'orrible lot we will be marching to the new navy compound, SOON.
    You WILL keep time and stay in step. You will look smart. You will impress the visiting dignitaries, or I WILL find something unpleasant for you to do for the coming WEEKS.
    Once we arrive at the gates we will all be stopping together– I’m looking at you Frank, Psykokow-
    and on the command we will all stand to attention and salute. Is that clear?”

Off they marched until;
    “Approaching Navy gate; ‘Tshun”

05 Yaffle - Oh buoy

Sam was working alone again. In front of him was a navigation buoy. A very important beacon, telling entering ships where every mapped body in the system was. Without it they would be flying blind, unable to locate or reach their desired planet or asteroid.
    Each of these required a periodic service, to ensure proper data was sent to every new arrival. He worked swiftly and carefully, checking what he had done, and that it functioned as required.
    He looked to his left and where stars were occluded he knew ships waited in cold silence for their first misdirected prey.

06 Gibbonici - Lost in Space

Until that moment there had been nothing remotely close to that point in space. No stars, no planets, comets, asteroids, dust clouds or protogaseous phenomena. Nothing, until now.

The ship drifted loose of its flickering jump cloud, tumbling in old starlight. Lost was too short a word to describe its predicament.

Inside, one man fussed with complicated instruments.

"Misjump!" he cried. "We're screwed!"

The other man stared out across the starfield ahead.

"They used to navigate by the stars," he said.

"Great," the fussy man said. "How does that help us?"

The still man pointed. "Let's go to that one."

07 Philip Coutts - Mind Your Own Business

Explorers used to navigate by the stars using hand drawn maps and intuition, but that was when mankind knew nothing more than the oceans on Earth. Now the intrepid use a battery of scanners, probes and drones to map systems, there’s very little mystery in the galaxy anymore.

The probe disappeared without a trace, worse the drone had exploded without warning. Commander Smith peered from the cockpit, staring into the unknown with a mixture of trepidation and exhilaration. This mapping business had suddenly become very intriguing.

The Bulletin Board message was simple “Missing Captain Smith in an Explorer class Cobra…….”

08 Darren Grey - Devoid

"Bloody jump already!" I cursed. Marya's dark glare made me regret it immediately.

"Just keep the shields up," she said, concentrating hard on her screen. With the navigation computer offline it took all her expertise to plot a jump.

A blast knocked my hands from the controls. The shields failed, gatling shots thundered across the hull. I screamed.

Light enveloped us, the sensation of movement. And then pop, we appeared in a dark system. Devoid of life, devoid of threats.

"We did it!"

I turned to see Marya's head smashed into the nav screen, blood floating upwards.

Devoid of hope.

09 Frank - Heavens Above

I saw the settlement like a carbuncle on the world as I plummeted down. I knew where I had to head.

My spacecraft was only fit for cannibalisation. I familiarised myself with the firmament as I built my makeshift rocket-powered raft. No Greek legends here. I had to make my own lore.

The line of stars that caught the jonty-bass. The god who smashed into an asteroid in a shower of stars. The man-wookie whose arms reached to the roof of the sky where the Thargoid mothership forever circled with the Fer-de-Lance around the north pole, in an eternal dogfight.

10 Bikky - At the dance

Navi Soleste was raised in a strict fashion. Everything had its place and everyone had a place to be in. Life was simple, all black and white. You were good or you were bad. Most people were bad, they did……. things that weren’t quite right.

Navi had been invited to a dance. A girl he liked. He suspected she was a bad one, because she’d asked him, and had not waited for him to ask.

It turned out the dance was full of evil people men dancing with men! Distraught he reverted to his family training of Navi Gay Shun.

11 Insanephoton - Lost in space (station)

'Sorry to disturb you Captain, it's Wilkins. He's just called in, saying that he's lost.'

'Wilkins, this is the captain, are you seriously telling me that you're lost? I thought you got top marks on your navigation exam at the academy?'

'Sorry sir, there was nothing like this at the academy. Everything looks the same, I don't know where I am.'

'That's just typical of the academy , they teach kids how to navigate the stars but don't teach them how to find their way around a space station. They forget how confusing space stations can be for first timers.'

12 Rog - Glitter

The Orca class yacht gracefully swept through the glittering ice rings of the giant planet, alternately arcing above and below their plane, not unlike the long extinct creature after which it was named.

The affluent passengers gazed awestruck, uttering occasional gasps. They were getting their money's worth on this trip, thought Tav as he continued to override the navigation system collision warnings.

Manoeuvering close in to a massive icy berg, the distant sun's light refracted and sparkled iridescently throughout the ship. Applause from the cargo. He'd heard it a hundred times before.

The silently approaching pirate had no such distractions.

$

Omg, first one to vote. Happy voting commanders Not so many drabbles this time. Alpha 3.0 coming soon

Fer De Lance a choice by nature

Not as many drabbles this time, but three votes were still not enough

I'm afraid my inspiration lost all sense of direction on this one. Don't know where it went, but it didn't get back in time

To go beyond (in Kaze no Uta)... to drabble a bit ... and then return

I manage this in the pub as well: getting a round in when hardly anyone wants another one I timed my turn to host well.

I just hope with all this interest in the next Alpha, people still remember to vote.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I manage this in the pub as well: getting a round in when hardly anyone wants another one I timed my turn to host well.

I just hope with all this interest in the next Alpha, people still remember to vote.
    In the pub you say?

A man after my own heart, and it's beer o'clock in only a couple more hours!

Thanks for hosting Frank, and hopefully a spot of Alpha 3.0 stimulus will jump start a few mojos for next week.

Only 11 voters? What's up with you people, just because you may have lost your drabble mojo doesn't mean you can't vote for some of these quality drabbles.

Maybe you're busy playing Alpha 3? Well take a break from watching the microwaved orange Sidewinder/Cobra for a second and cast some votes. If you're one of the lucky ones that have got multiplayer working fairly well, just think of the less fortunate, some of these drabblers don't even have Alpha access Spare them a few seconds of your time and vote.

I voted. For some reason I struggle with keeping up with what's happening in drabble-land, but I do mean to enter again at some point.
    ~<The Federation of Elite Pilots:Flying since 1984!>~

Originally Posted by insanephoton View Post (Source)
    only 11 voters? What's up with you people, just because you may have lost your drabble mojo doesn't mean you can't vote for some of these quality drabbles.

Maybe you're busy playing alpha 3? Well take a break from watching the microwaved orange sidewinder/cobra for a second and cast some votes. If you're one of the lucky ones that have got multiplayer working fairly well, just think of the less fortunate, some of these drabblers don't even have alpha access Spare them a few seconds of your time and vote.
    yeah!!!

Did vote a while ago.

Shame I couldn't come up with a drabble - if I was a writer, I could call it a "writer's block"...

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
    My Elite: Dangerous videos , Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bindings , Explorer visual reference

Another tough choice this week, good drabbling all.

Good luck to everyone.
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/WC_Yaffle/yafflesig2_zps1f3a9858.png

It's not too late to get your votes in

Come on! only 14 votes? You can do better than that.

The voting booth is still open. All you pilots out in space practising your docking, you can do that whilst thinking about which Drabbles to vote for.

i voted very early, wonder where all the other voters went to..stuck in a spinning orange sidewinder i guess....hold ups eh!

Commander Illu Minti..Imperial Agent of the Empire/Illuminati Group
    Battlesong Victory Not Vengeance

I already did my duty by voting (two of my votes are in 1st and 2nd )
    I guess the poor turnout is due to something called , er, 'alpha'? Is that an illness? Hope I catch it, if it is

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    I already did my duty by voting (two of my votes are in 1st and 2nd )
    I guess the poor turnout is due to something called , er, 'alpha'? Is that an illness? Hope I catch it, if it is
    Yes it's a serious illness, you start seeing rotating orange spaceships

Congrats to Rog, a well deserved win there.

The turnout was disappointingly low, but Frank, most of the Alpha players are only dreaming of practising docking, they spend most of their time watching rotating orange ships

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast