• 04 - Splendour - The Elite

14 46.67%
  • 05 - simoof - A renewed hope

2 6.67%
  • 06 - Eid Leweise - Where No Man Has Gone Before

2 6.67%
  • 07 - Goose4291 - Night Raid

1 3.33%
  • 08 - Listeri69 - Six shifting ships sit in the shifty, nifty, slitty sea shifting shiftily as they shift to me....

2 6.67%
  • 09 - MikeSnos - The Mods? The Chosen Few? !

3 10.00%
  • 10 - Steed - A Smuggler's Life

7 23.33%
  • 11 - oldfozz - THE CHOSEN FEW – How Lave Radio came to be…

5 16.67%
  • 12 - Frank - Greetings. You Have Just Been Drafted.

2 6.67%
  • 13 - T.J. - Training the chosen few.

3 10.00%
  • 14 - Iain M Norman - You Have Chosen, Poorly

6 20.00%
  • 15 - Alex Merion-Turner - The Chosen Few

2 6.67%
  • 16 - Doc Stone - A Past Revealed

3 10.00%
  • 17 - Clef Hanger - The Chosen Few (Haiku)

8 26.67%
  • 18 - MrMogadon - Tho. Covenant

2 6.67%
  • 19 - Thirstybadger - Some Sunny Day

4 13.33%
  • 20 - Galactic Midden - Here be dragons..

3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Drabble Writing Contest: The Chosen Few

The Drabble Writing Contest: The Chosen Few

Welcome to the 94th Drabble Vote. Here's a crack team of 20 Drabbles hand-picked for the job of entertaining you. Well, actually not really hand-picked. Everyone is welcome to enter, even you!

This week's topic of "The Chosen Few" was brought to you by the outright winner of last week's Drabble contest, DocStone.

Above me is a bunch of options in a poll. Those options are directly related to the bunch of short stories below me. It's a multiple choice poll but please limit yourself to only the three votes. The results of the poll will be announced on Monday morning. Not only will the winner receive an imaginary toilet paper crown, they will win the honour of deciding next week's topic.

For any casual passers-by reading this thread, please take the trouble to vote. The Drabbles aren't long. It will take you no time to read, and your vote could make someone's day.

For contestants, DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! Anyone caught voting for themselves will have a few choice words shouted at them.

01 - Ian Phillips - The Soldiers Lot

It is a soldiers lot to go unnoticed, unloved and ignored until the need is too high deny.

Then, when all seems hopeless, sounds the call and to that bugle cry we rally.
    Tomorrow we go to war.

"We who are about to die salute you".
    This is our last message as we depart.
    We who chose this life of service, now prepare for sacrifice.

Together we depart, secure in the bonds we have built and the trust we have in each other.
    We decide how to live.
    We decide how to die.
    We choose.
    We are the chosen few.

02 - {SAS}Stalker - First Down

HIP 116559 slipped into view through the cabin window and Beth knew the time was near. Her eyes Blinked across an unfamiliar cabin and she stopped at the body under the cover still sleeping next to her. She had no interest in a name; neither would likely see another dawn anyway. Last night had ended messy and she knew this day was heading the same way. HIP 116559, Hippy as the small crew ironically called it, had recently been assigned “Earth-like” but the latest stats reports and the weapons being loaded into the shuttle suggested it would be anything but.

03 - azdour - A Better Life?

The cult of Zalos had established itself early in the formation of the colony on Helius 9.

The planet was rich with resources but cursed with a dangerous climate and seismic activity.

With many loosing friends, membership of the cult offered them hope.

Each year a chosen few would be selected to transcend their mining lives.

Those that where chosen were not seen again, going to a better place.

As this years chosen boarded the Imperial ship, the captain rubbed his hands at the thought of yet more free slaves, as the plans to spread Zalos to other worlds began.

04 - Splendour - The Elite

I recently visited a place of contemplation for pilots in Jameson Memorial.
    These words are etched above its doorway, and burnt into my soul.

Drawn from every walk of life
    to roam between the stars,
    We come from Lave, from Riedquat,
    from Achenar, from Mars.
    We are the envy of the many
    spacers that we meet,
    The Pilots Federation's cream.
    They call us the Elite

The greatest of explorers
    charting worlds beyond your ken,
    Merchant princes trading ‘twixt
    empires of men,
    The deadliest of combateers
    our aim is always true,
    The greatest spacers ever seen.
    We are the Chosen Few

05 - simoof - A renewed hope

From his Eagle, Dr Ted watched the stations construction. It was massive, almost the size of a small moon.

It would take a special kind of army to stop this.

He'd lost hope when his zero-patient disappeared. Fortunately a gullible family member had "rescued" him.
    Damaskinos magical tech skills had become invaluable. The tracker now no longer bound by distance.

He read over the list of names - the chosen ones.
    It was all falling in to place.

No time for procrastination, it was nearly time for his weekly meat delivery to Tommys mum. She did like her meat...
    .... .... And kok.

06 - Eid Leweise - Where No Man Has Gone Before

Jack banged on the door in panic.

He’d just popped in to say “Eh up” to Finn, maybe grab a bite to eat while his friend was locked up for making those visitors to Barnards Station feel welcome… Now this jobsworth of a guard wasn’t going to let him out and Finn was stripping off.
    “GUARDS HE’S NAKED AGAIN!!!! GUARDS!!!!!...” Jack screamed with all his might but the imbecile ignored his cries. Resigned, Jack accepted his fate. For all his naturalist enthusiasm his friend never did have much luck, and this was the 34th Century.
    “Is pizza good for you?”

07 - Goose4291 - Night Raid

The assault to take the planetside starport had faltered. Now, pinned down in a ditch by heavy suppressive fire, Principale Moriganus keyed his radio.
    "Fretensis, this is Hammer. Requesting Fire mission: Gridref 04052352, Five rounds HE, fire for effect. Over."
    "Copy Hammer, Fretensis out."
    Less than a minute later the night was lit up by the orbital bombardment, decimating the defensive position. The engagement was concluded with the Legionnaires bounding by pairs into the position and executing the dazed survivors.
    He took stock of the casualties. Only 32 of the Centuria had survived, spared by galactic fate. The chosen few.

08 - Listeri69 - Six shifting ships sit in the shifty, nifty, slitty sea shifting shiftily as they shift to me....

The ships had moved into his system overnight Lighting up the night sky above his palace
    It had become A grey day for King Carl. Souls had panicked in trepidation of what was going to happen
    The kings advisers all locked in a mass debate.
    'Send in the Asp's full attack' The King ordered
    'The empire are too strong, they are picking us off easily'
    'How many ships do we have left?' King Carl inquired
    'Not many, four are whole, maybe another three at 50%
    'How many anacondas?'
    'One king...make that none...'
    'Time for the chosen few to escape'

09 - MikeSnos - The Mods? The Chosen Few? !

The mods, it seems, are the chosen few,
    They keep us all from our pew pew pew.
    The mods are a scurrilous bunch you see,
    Making life miserable for you and me.

The mods are chosen, by God knows who
    They are, you see, the chosen few.
    But people should remember this,
    Before starting to boo and hiss.
    The mods are an exclusive club
    Inviting each other, that's the rub

Why, you ask, am I not a mod?
    The mods hate all free thinking peeps.
    The likes of you and me
    I'm so glad I'm not in the chosen few!

10 - Steed - A Smuggler's Life

He watched as ship after ship succumbed to interdiction, the assailant popping back into supercruise alone moments later. The commanders were being murdered.
    Word had gone out the day before, ‘big profits with small risk’. The odd bit of easy smuggling usually made things exciting but this was carnage. Wings of commanders had been waiting, indiscriminately pulling out anyone not part of their group.
    He started evading as best he could, his path guided more by panic than judgement, spiralling towards the station until finally ‘Safe Disengage Ready’!
    It was blind luck he hadn’t been one of the chosen.

Phew!

11 - oldfozz - THE CHOSEN FEW – How Lave Radio came to be…

Vicram Kalland sat at the head of the table, staringincredulously at the nervous group.
    “You’re telling me, 50% of the Lave system want Clarkdongone and the others want to reward him?”
    The uncomfortable silence was all the answer he needed.
    “We’ll not be dictated too in this fashion. Clarkdon is gone. I hear he threw a mug at someone!? Nothing’s more heinous! Sod T.V, we’ll go retro and introduce a radioshow in his place. As we cannot affordanyone notable due to the mug-thrower’s contract, stick four pins in the spacestation’s roster, let them host it…”

12 - Frank - Greetings. You Have Just Been Drafted.

The Lugh recruitment officer entered the room and asked the receptionist "Is that it? Four people turned up? Did you send out all the conscription letters?"

"I'm guessing risking your life for the Crimson State isn't too popular."

"Send in that bloke with the chiselled jaw first"

"That bloke just arrived. The old timer was first. He's keen. He used to race Kraits."

The officer looked at the codger "I'll see him after the other less moribund candidates."

She muttered to herself "So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few show up."

13 - T.J. - Training the chosen few.

"RIGHT YOU ORRIBLE SHOWER OF DISTENDED WEASELS RECTUMS" The voice thundered, giving it's victims the full hairdrier treatment.

Knees knocked, hands trembled, a small puddle spread out at one shaking foot.

"I want no shenaninaninanigans, no mucking about and no humour whatsoever! GOT IT???"

"YES SIR" The assembled group of terrified recruits bellowed in reply.

"IF YOU DON'T DO A GOOD JOB I'LL FLAY THE LOTTA YER, YOU DISGUSTING MAGGOTS!!!"

"Now get out there and MERGE, CLOSE and BAN THE LOT OF EM."

RSM(CM) Lewis turned and marched smartly off into the distance.

Mod training was getting tougher and tougher.

14 - Iain M Norman - You Have Chosen, Poorly

Man I gotta mine these three chosen rocks, dig the big cheese outta these floating rocky trees of bountiful mineral needs. Pirates like fleas flew through my cheese trees, sidewinders, in threes, little fleas. It'll be a cold day in hell when you split my belly open and freeze my cheese. Call yourselves free? From laws? From responsibilities! Through these three cheese trees three free fleas flew. While these fleas flew, freezy breeze blew. Freezy breeze made these three trees freeze. Freezy trees made these trees' cheese freeze. That's what made these three free fleas sneeze. Pop goes the pirate.

15 - Alex Merion-Turner - The Chosen Few

It seems to be, don't you see, that the chosen few are all of you. It's just a clique, the polls are fixed, votes are nixed, every god damn week. There's no chance for normal bods, not when every story's by a bunch of mods. They can't be trusted to not alter the action, I'll probably get a bloody infraction. Well screw you all, I know the truth, you're out to get me, especially Simoof. I'll do every little thing I can, even if it's nets me a ban, I'll expose this sham, till it's just me, and Shouty Man.

16 - Doc Stone - A Past Revealed

Theodore Balanus. Dr Ted for short. Tammy watched him on the monitor as he passed over the mince and Cox’s apples to her mother.

14 years ago the Emperor’s own Guards had brought Tommy into their lives. 14 years since Tammy had begun the accelerated training program that had made her into the Emperor’s Personal Assassin. 14 years since she had sworn to protect Tommy.

Dr Ted had made her break that oath. Dr Ted was going to pay.

Only a chosen few get to see the Emperor’s Fist in action: “Alpha Team - breach!”

The Hunt for Simoof was on.

17 - Clef Hanger - The Chosen Few (Haiku)

They are honored ones
    But now they are the dead ones
    Chosen not so few

First into the fray
    At the longest end of day
    Chosen are fewer

Viewed as in a dream
    An often recurring theme
    Chosen are the few

All I ask is why?
    If so many have to die
    Chosen not the few

Honor and duty
    When bullets scar the beauty
    Chosen by the few

Now the choice is life
    Service and the sacrifice
    Chosen from the few

Save the brave and live
    And given the chance to give
    Life has chosen few

Chosen, fewer and fewer.

18 - MrMogadon - Tho. Covenant

Haruch: a spit of rock tearing towards oblivion.

The only viable planet after the mother of all solar storms catastrophically damaged a number ships.

We landed as best we could. Alliance, Federation, Empire.

Initially, we survivors didn't play nice together. Fighting on long after the ammunition ran out.

Only the most highly skilled and adaptable fighters survived.

5 months on, reality dawned. Clear. Crisp.

Surviving here, with its meagre resources was at best optional. To once more soar into the black, a distant dream.

To continue we would all have to become Haruchai.

To the challenges ahead, We would Suffice.

19 - Thirstybadger - Some Sunny Day

"... excelling in their fields...." He'd heard this since before he could remember. Tom looked forward to leaving this provincial rock, joining the meaningful. Here, no one came close to him.. except Ella...she was always stretching, always competing. Without Ella, he wouldn't have pushed so hard, he owed her much, he owed her for the acceptance found in his apartment before the ceremony, an archaic wood pulp letter... only black ops. Ella had a more conventional subspace acceptance to "conflict negotiations". Seeing her again, meant failure, that he could fail too and there would be more than pride at stake.

20 - Galactic Midden - Here be dragons..

Fire blazed again, a molten apocalypse turning the very air crimson as proximity alarms went haywire. This colony's generation ship was the last hope for but a fraction, all children, to escape the fury. Engines exceeding maximum, the 'Redemption' lurched uncontrollably.

"We're hit!" Screams erupted.

Bruised and terrified Naomi whispered "they're real". The 'dragon's will return' her grandfather had often recounted from old settlers' tales of wild beasts and destruction; but she'd never expected this!

More blasts assaulted them, 'Redemption's' hull blackening with a viscous char. Finally, with a bone chilling shriek 'Redemption' relented, fatefully succumbing to the volcano's grasp.

LATE DRABBLES
    01 - Psykokow - Log in the cogs

The small rock spun slowly as it made its route around the planet.
    It glistened in the darkness as rays from the sun hit its frosty surface.
    Two months it had floated peacefully along.
    Simoof in his sidewinder, cleared the station and set his throttle to full. As he reached jumping speed a small bang shook his ship and his left engine erupted in flames. Something hit it hard.
    He returned to dock for repairs, hoping it wasn’t too expensive.
    The technician approached with a small rock in his hand.
    ‘it’s not an asteroid’ he said ‘Just a frozen poo’

02 - Erik Marcaigh - What's in a Name? That Which we Call a Rose…

"Dammit. Dropped our weapons crate," stated Seamus.

Rose laughed and pulled Bloodless off the floor. "Maybe we can help each other, Bloodless. This Orca's hot and so is your Python. We've got to get paid and our contact is interested in alien artifacts, especially Thargoid goods."

Bloodless nodded, "Aye, my Python sticks out like a sore thumb. This thing needs a paint job and a new black box."

"Here," said Seamus, "flak jackets to protect us out there. Where to, Bloodless?"

"Eleutherios, Damaskinos, and Melantha. They do electronics work. Known as 'The Chosen Few' for their abilities to deceive authority."

What did I do wrong? What does "fixed tags" mean?

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    What did I do wrong? What does "fixed tags" mean?
    I think Ian's gone a bit OCD again.

Mwa hahahahaha!

Is Frank getting Paranoid?

ooops - that was last week - or was it the week before?
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Frank. "fixed tags" means that you used markup tags in the post such as [i] and [/b].
    They should be paired....and you missed one, so I fixed it.

You're welcome

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Frank. "fixed tags" means that you used markup tags in the post such as [i] and [/b].

You're welcome
    Stop voting for this fiend! ^^^

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    I think Ian's gone a bit OCD again.
    Ummm, we play Elite, we're all a bit OCD aren't we?

And:
    I got a vote! Thank you to whoever felt sorry for me, my first drabble and I got a vote
    Feel free to ignore my drivel now.

Originally Posted by Steed View Post (Source)
    Ummm, we play Elite, we're all a bit OCD aren't we?
    If this is true then I want to know why there isn't an OCD Orbital Station in Elite where the station always faces the planet, the station always rotates in the same direction at the same rate, the landing pads are assigned only upon correctly requesting one, the station is always pristinely clean, the NPCs always fly sensibly, and the docking procedures are so strict that disobedience is punishable by death?

Oh... oops, nevermind

Here's a waiting drabble for you while we wait cos you're all great

We miserable few, who wait in this queue,
    nervous extreme, my record is clean,

Why must I wait? My sphinc agitate,
    I'm fearing a scan and don't want a ban,

my hold's going creak, with wail and a shreak,
    cargo outlawed, banned list too broad,

patrol ships approaching, a 3-vipers wing,
    "scan detected" alert, hide strange ol' Bert?

He's my stowaway you see, criminal rank 3!
    crept aboard, while I snored, and hopes he's ignored.

Scan complete! "Don't shoot" Oh no I said "squeak!"
    It's time now ol' Bert we're clearly a threat!

Just because, queue! "Pew pew, pew pew"...

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

LATE DRABBLES

02 - Erik Marcaigh - What's in a Name? That Which we Call a Rose…
    I take offense at this. My drabble was not late. Instead, I voluntarily withdrew it so other brand new drabblers could have their chance in the spotlight.

Instead, the section should be called:

MARTYRED DRABBLES

Originally Posted by MikeSnos View Post (Source)
    Stop voting for this fiend! ^^^
    I have votes ?

Wait... 15 voters and its only Wednesday, Wednesday a day that we normally are waiting for the final few drabbles...

I have votes ? <runs to take a look>
    Not only that, Tj's already up to half his usual quota and we still have 4 days to go!

You're welcome
    Thanks. I guess I'm not up on all these new-fangled words. When I wuz a nipper, "tags" was just something kids sprayed on walls.

Thanks. I guess I'm not up on all these new-fangled words. When I wuz a nipper, "tags" was just something kids sprayed on walls.
    When I was a sprog it was what we did in the playground....

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by MikeSnos View Post (Source)
    Not only that, Tj's already up to half his usual quota and we still have 4 days to go!

Damn I'm on a roll this week.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast