Page 10 of 10 First 68910

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Hyperspace button

Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post (Source)
    Devs want as few keybinds as possible hence the menu system, hyperspace button would be no good anyway, how would you selct your destination?
    in the original Elite I'd pop into a system - lock to another system in case it got hairy (anarchy systems for example) and proceed to station. If I got to a point where shields were gone and the hull got to 50% I'd hit "H" wiggle around for a 10 count and I was gone. I made a ton of credits that way getting into fights I knew would give a big bounty but I couldn't win. If your doing your best Iceman and Maverick impression your not going to get a lot of time for a drop down IMHO. as long as we can re-map keys I'm not seeing a problem. I'll assign it to a button on the flight stick and be outta there if I need to.

Originally Posted by Jim Maddog View Post (Source)
    in the original Elite I'd pop into a system - lock to another system in case it got hairy (anarchy systems for example) and proceed to station. If I got to a point where shields were gone and the hull got to 50% I'd hit "H" wiggle around for a 10 count and I was gone. I made a ton of credits that way getting into fights I knew would give a big bounty but I couldn't win. If your doing your best Iceman and Maverick impression your not going to get a lot of time for a drop down IMHO. as long as we can re-map keys I'm not seeing a problem. I'll assign it to a button on the flight stick and be outta there if I need to.
    Currently you can't manoeuvre once you've engaged hyperdrive and have started the countdown, you fly straight and level. Could change in alpha 4 (soon!), possibly, but it has the feel of deliberate design rather than unfinished.

I'd still like the keybinds though, anything to avoid looking at the clunky menus.

Originally Posted by Barns View Post (Source)
    Currently you can't manoeuvre once you've engaged hyperdrive and have started the countdown, you fly straight and level. Could change in alpha 4 (soon!), possibly, but it has the feel of deliberate design rather than unfinished.

*snip*
    That's as it should be to my mind. Calculating jump parameters should be difficult and require a clean vector during the calculation.

Imagine playing pool on a table the size of a golf course with all the balls in motion. Now translate that from two dimensions to eleven. That's the sort of maths that ought to be be required for a hyperspace jump.

SIGH! The menu's are useful, they are deep, deeper than you'll get with any HUD system. The menu system for craft in space DOES make sense, it takes a lot of computation just to keep the damn thing straight in real life. This is a game, nay, simulation of endurance. Combat isn't the main focus, and it never should be. If combat is made simple, nothing logistically will ever be accomplished in a timely manner. Combat is about tactics, readily available information, planning ahead, and quite a bit of patience; combat truly involves, in real world terms, waiting, lots and lots of waiting.

Here is why the menu makes sense - copilot seat.

In real life military vehicles there is ALWAYS a vehicle commander who is not the driver who operates the GPS, radios, and all manner of equipment while also giving guidance when necessary to his or her subordinate(s) (gunner, dismount[s], and other personnel as well). Now given that in a tactical fighter there may (not always) be one operator, these are also short ranged strike craft, a Cobra Mk II isn't exactly a short ranged strike craft. Given the space of the HUD which is ACTUALLY a holographic imaging system in between the layers of cockpit glass. There IS also a display system with more detailed information in front of the pilot below this and many switches and buttons to the side. Again, these are designed to be short range dog-fighting aircraft. Support aircraft such as the A-10 also fit this description. Not all of the information is presented on the HUD to prevent not only cluttering the LOS, but for a myriad of technical and practical reasons. When flying you generally need to know your heading, altitude, vertical angle, ammo count for each weapon system, speed, and potential targets. That is literally ALL you need to know once airborne, everything else can be a beeper and on the screen(s) below. Why? Glass breaks. Even the slightest imperfection can lead to a complete failure of a holographic display. i.e. go get a EOTECH Holographic rifle sight - crack the glass - no more accuracy - no more defined reticle. I've been around for a minute and that argument about fighters does not compute - Sure you can switch information modes, but you still have to hit switches to the side and in front by LOOKING AT IT to verify what you're pushing. I'm not trying to attack any of you, simply making a point.

Originally Posted by technome View Post (Source)
    That's as it should be to my mind. Calculating jump parameters should be difficult and require a clean vector during the calculation.

Imagine playing pool on a table the size of a golf course with all the balls in motion. Now translate that from two dimensions to eleven. That's the sort of maths that ought to be be required for a hyperspace jump.
    Two things about hyperspace.

1. I think that FD will only allow you to jump if you are already in frame shift (cruise mode)
    2. I think that you will have to be aligned to the star you are going to jump before doing it.

Regarding key bindings, I think I appreciate what FD is trying to do here. I agree that having basic functions of your ship binded to a key makes sense, I really like though the immersion and first person interaction ED is trying to bring to the table for your ship by having the pilot change his FOV to use the side menus. Its actually a refreshing design decision from the standard of being an omnipotent god-octopus of a pilot inside your ship.

Balancing the tedium vs immersion factors is an issue, and thats where feedback threads like this can be very important.