Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All Shield Cell Banks Tested in Actual Shield Values

All Shield Cell Banks Tested in Actual Shield Values

Have you ever wondered whether you should use B rating Shield Cell Banks because they have more charges, or use A rating ones because they can charge more every time?

Now here is the test result.

Using 2 Anacondas with 6A shields, we tested all Class 1 to 7 Shield Cell Banks (SCB) and their actual charge values in MJ. Class 8 SCBs were not tested yet because they are only usable in a Lakon Type-9.

Q: How did you get the actual value?
    A: We believe the Shield values (MJ) on EDShipyard.com are pretty representative so we used them as our references. Before testing we put 0 SYS PIPs and emptied the SYS capacitors. We checked each other's Shield % from the left panel Contacts list. We recorded the start shield % and end shield % before and after each Shield Cell Bank use. Then we converted the changed % into actual MJ based on the maximum 6A Shield value (510.74MJ). All testings were done in Elite: Dangerous version 1.2.07.

Q: How do I use these values?
    A: With the actual MJ for each SCB, you will now be able to apply them to any ships. You can get your Shield values from EDShipyard and then figure out how much % shield each SCB can charge.

Q: How accurate are these values?
    A: These values are by no means 100% accurate. The baseline total MJ for shield was deduced by players and unconfirmed by FD. The Shield % reading was rounded in game and could be off plus minus 1%. The values are subjected to change in future game updates. But we did find the value change between ABCDE ratings were pretty consistent and this result was useful to get the general idea of how SCB differs between classes and ratings. We hope FD could soon make these outfit values officially available in game.

Q: Where is the raw data?
    A: If you are interested, you can view it from here: [Google Spreadsheet]

Q: Are there more testings?
    A: Yes! We also tested all weapons DPS against Shield and Hull, in actual Shield/Hull values! Results will be posted soon.

Hope you enjoy and Fly Safe, Commander!

CMDR StarLightBreaker
    (Testing with CMDR Pale Night)

----

Update:

Q: Have you verified the values against other ships and shields combinations?
    A: Yes. See below result.
    Here you go. We verified against Python with 6A shield, ASP with 5A shield, and Eagle with 3A shield.
    Results were in a close range to expected values calculated from the top post values. Asp and Eagle results are not as close as Pythons. Not sure why.
    Results also showed if you use multiple SCBs at the same time, their charge values added together.
    So to answer your question, yes SCB is replenishing a certain amount of power (in MJ) regardless the ship or shield used.

Q: Are the shield ring graphics linear (i.e. each ring is 33% of total shield)?
    A: Yes they are consistent with 33% per ring.

Q: How does the shield recharge work?
    A: In testing we found the shield recharge rate (before completely collapse) was consistent at 1 MJ/s for all ships, shields and power distributors, as long as you have some power in SYS capacitor.

This means each SCB will save you N seconds (N=Charged Amount in MJ), compare to a natural recovery from your SYS capacitor.

You can refer to the discussions on post #28, #37, and my brief test result on #44 #58.
    ...So from what I learned here, I tested the shield recharging with my friend.

We tested both Python with 6A Shield and ASP with 5A Shield, 0 PIP and empty SYS, started from 50% shield, applied 4 PIP SYS and started timer. We timed every 10% and finally 100%.

The result showed an average 1.02 MJ/s(MW) natural recharge rate from the capacitor to the shield.

This suggested that possibly the shield recharge rate is always around 1 MJ/s(MW) regardless of shields and capacitors. Also in a previous test we found SYS PIP has no effect on Shield recover time and recharge rate, as long as there is remaining power in the SYS capacitor.

So each SCB indeed saved their charged value amount of seconds compare to natural recharge from the SYS capacitor. (e.g. using 5A SCB will save about 189 seconds compare to natural recharge of shields)

It's a little counter-intuitive that larger class Power Distributors couldn't supply more power to recharge the shield faster than smaller ones. Looks like the bandwidth from capacitor to shield is the same size on all ships, yet the SCB can charge far more quicker.

---

Update 2:

The other good thing about knowing the exact charge values, is that now you know exactly how you need to stack multiple shield cells to get a certain % of your shield recharged, even with different shield boosters setups.

In an extreme example, an Anaconda with a 7A Shield and 8x 0A Shield Boosters will provide you an estimated 1,547 MJ shield value (check EDShipyard). If you down to 2 rings of shield in combat, you will need 33% of total shield value to get back to 100%, which is 510.51 MJ. Referring to the Shield Cell Bank values from the chart, you now know a stacked combination of 6A + 5A + 2A Shield Cell Banks will give you about 204 + 189 + 107 = 500 MJ shield values recharged to your shield, which will bring your shield back to around 99% strength.

With the knowledge of ~1 MJ/s constant natural recharge rate of any shield, now you also know to recharge 500 MJ only from your SYS capacitor will take about 500 seconds, which is 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The 5 second use of the 6A + 5A + 2A Shield Cell Bank combination will save you 8 minutes and 20 seconds in combat!

And you can apply these calculations to any ship, shield and shield booster combinations.

---

Update 3:

We tested the SYS PIP Shield Damage Resistance in v1.2.07. -> Link

Well, repped.

Thank you ^^

A few findings from the test:
    - "A" Rating SCBs can charge more shield per charge, but the total charge amount are less because you carry less charges than "B" rating ones. Of course, B ratings are heavier too.
    - A lower class "A" rating charges more than a upper class "B" rating per charge. (e.g. 6A > 7B)
    - You should also consider the weight and power usage. "B"s are heaviest and "D"s are lightest. "A"s require most power.

Repped for science.

Closely matches my own, much less formal, tests...which involved smashing my ship down to one ring (also with an emptied SYS cap) on the docking pad and burning SCB charges.

Nicely done, thanks!

This has me wondering if I should replace the two 1A SCB's I've got on my Vulture with a single 2A. Less charges, but more per charge, and the total of all charges are equal.

Great Job. I've wondered about this for some time!

Originally Posted by Morbad View Post (Source)
    Closely matches my own, much less formal, tests...which involved smashing my ship down to one ring (also with an emptied SYS cap) on the docking pad and burning SCB charges.
    Yes I actually thought about that in the beginning, but then CMDR Pale Night pointed out that with a friend checking contacts list it could provide us the actual % value - which is much more accurate than comparing color of shield rings lol.

Originally Posted by Bane Six Echo View Post (Source)
    Nicely done, thanks!

This has me wondering if I should replace the two 1A SCB's I've got on my Vulture with a single 2A. Less charges, but more per charge, and the total of all charges are equal.
    Two A1 boosters weigh slightly more and consume much more power than a single A2.

Originally Posted by StarLightBreaker View Post (Source)
    Yes I actually thought about that in the beginning, but then CMDR Pale Night pointed out that with a friend checking contacts list it could provide us the actual % value - which is much more accurate than comparing color of shield rings lol.
    Yeah, it's much more accurate if you have a friend to check the figures. I was just guesstimating based on ring shade. Came up with the same values as you did for everything I tested (class 5 and lower, skipping most of the Es), with about a +-10% margin of error.

Spot on! Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by Bane Six Echo View Post (Source)
    Nicely done, thanks!

It sometimes depends and I many times preferred more charges than each charge amount. I would just use them more frequently in fight. Waiting till the last ring to use is kind of risky of losing all shields.

Originally Posted by StarLightBreaker View Post (Source)
    It sometimes depends and I many times preferred more charges than each charge amount. I would just use them more frequently in fight. Waiting till the last ring to use is kind of risky of losing all shields.
    I run two 4B SCBs in tandem, both powered while hardpoints are deployed, for PvP. It's all I can power on my preferred config and restores just under two full rings per twin charge on a ship with ~540 Magic Johnsons of shield capacity.

In a heavy fire fight, I tend to pop them when I hit two rings (give or take depending on who I'm fighting), as doing so much later will risk shield collapse by the time they go off. More charges would be wasted as I often need to drop a heatsink to keep from melting my FDL if I'm firing while the SCBs are discharging, while fewer, stronger, charges would run the risk of wasting MJs.

I run two 4B SCBs in tandem, both powered while hardpoints are deployed, for PvP. It's all I can power on my preferred config and restores just under two full rings per twin charge on a ship with ~540 Magic Johnsons of shield capacity.

In a heavy fire fight, I tend to pop them when I hit two rings (give or take depending on who I'm fighting), as doing so much later will risk shield collapse by the time they go off. More charges would be wasted as I often need to drop a heatsink to keep from melting my FDL if I'm firing while the SCBs are discharging, while fewer, stronger, charges would run the risk of wasting MJs.
    When using Shield Boosters, enabling multiple SCBs the same time makes a lot more sense. You can charge much quicker. Originally I thought that was a mistake that you couldn't use SCB one at a time when more than one were powered! Good thinking FD

Nicely done, thank you.

with ~540 Magic Johnsons of shield capacity.
    That's crazy for a Vulture and I hope it gets nerfed. Vulture has practically the same base shield strength as a Python. Ridiculous.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast