Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Any news on the official ED API ?

Originally Posted by DarkMatterGenerator View Post (Source)
    And how do you know there is anyone working on any paid expansion stuff at all?
    First dev update, 08/01/2015 :

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes
    We’re proud of the fantastic game that we released before Christmas but intend to keep growing and developing it. To make this happen we’re expanding the team working on the game so that we can maintain a regular schedule of updates as well as working on paid expansions.

I'm not a friend of totally revealing every detail of the ED universe and i think FD is neither. Any tool is not automatically available to every player, putting players without the tool at a disadvantage.
    Imho if all information about the universe would be public, a tool developer would be responsible to not revealing everything to the player. And this responsibility can hardly be handed out because not everyone cares about the game but only about how he can make the most money fastest.

So, to which conditions can an api reveal game data without empowering cheat mode?

Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    It is something we still want to support, but we do have finite development resources. Once we have some freed up I'm hoping we can push forwards with this.

Michael
    Hello Michael. I understand that you are currently reviewing the tool I released yesterday that accesses the Companion data.

In the name of community developers, may I please ask for a little leeway at this time? I would ask that you let it run for a bit, and shut it down if you think this causes problems later on.

We don't expect any kind of support from your team with this, but neither do we want to cause issues. We just want to make great tools!

Originally Posted by Andargor View Post (Source)
    Hello Michael. I understand that you are currently reviewing the tool I released yesterday that accesses the Companion data.

In the name of community developers, may I please ask for a little leeway at this time? I would ask that you let it run for a bit, and shut it down if you think this causes problems later on.

We don't expect any kind of support from your team with this, but neither do we want to cause issues. We just want to make great tools!
    I totally agree with Andargor. A bit of leeway would be very much appreciated. Perhaps my "third party tools" thread causes that commanders seem to find me. I´ve been contacted about EDCE by commanders and they very much like what Andargor has created and the great potential the data has for tool authors. One already has used the EDCE to create a really MINDBLOWING application which visualizes the progress a commander makes wrt ranks, ships data and all kind of other statistics - during a period of time. A public release depends on FD´s decission about EDCE. I think that is only the tip of the iceberg wrt possiblities. Commanders have forked the EDCE code which is open sourced (Github repository) and made contributions (pull requests) for it. This all gives me the impression there is a real need for the EDCE and of course later on the full fledged ED API which has been discussed. So please be so kind to reopen the EDCE thread again and tolerate EDCE for the time being. Or to use the words of someone else: I beg you.

Update: I have removed the url for the repository of EDCE as its against the FD forum rules. Apply Google fu.
    For more information about and an overview of OCR error Free (OEF) aka mobile api based tools see this FD thread.

I've been trying to get in touch with Michael Brookes via Edward Lewis for the past few weeks to get tentative permission to use the Companion API (i.e. EDCE), without success. I'm guessing they have their hands full with Powerplay and other issues, the API is not on their radar at all.

Hopefully, when they have a bit of time, they will consider my constructive proposal for temporary permission to use the API, that can be revoked if it causes issues or work for the team.

Well, if they haven't said "NO" yet.....

Personally, I happen to like what you have done. There is a good amount of detail in those files. Now, if some nice programmer would be kind enough to create something to export data into, say... A commanders log, a .csv trade data export, some way to export the station/system information so it could be uploaded to EDDN (Thrudds, Slopey's, etc) and verified...

There is a whole slew of information I was tickled pink to be able to view....

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #37
    It's still on our radar, but it is low on the current priority list. If anything changes we'll let you know.

Michael

It's still on our radar, but it is low on the current priority list. If anything changes we'll let you know.

Michael
    Thanks Michael, that is understandable. Did you get a chance to review my proposal for temporary permission to use the existing Companion API, as long as it does not cause issues or create work for your team? I had forwarded it through Edward.

It would allow community devs to progress with interesting tools until an official API is released, and enhance the overall gaming experience.

9. This is the last staff post in this thread. #39
    Thanks Michael, that is understandable. Did you get a chance to review my proposal for temporary permission to use the existing Companion API, as long as it does not cause issues or create work for your team? I had forwarded it through Edward.

It would allow community devs to progress with interesting tools until an official API is released, and enhance the overall gaming experience.
    It's being discussed.

Michael

Michael
    I'm a little surprised that it's low on the list - I would have thought that the plethora of community tools that would result from a nice REST/JSON API being made available would be fantastic advertising!

I'd be all over that, were it available.

Cheers!

Michael
    Could you consider just writing dump files when people dock a station/enter a system ?
    Would not take very long and would be sufficient for tools to parse the dump without requiring any bandwidth from your part or plugging into any memory ^^

Originally Posted by AnthorNet View Post (Source)
    Could you consider just adding dump files when people dock a station/enter a system ?
    Would not take very long and would be sufficient for tools to parse the dump without requiring any bandwidth from your part or plugging into any memory ^^
    I think we can aim higher than that! I want full galaxy/system coordinate data, commander stats, telemetry, and so on.

I think Frontier shouldn't underestimate the boost in longevity modding and tools can bring to a game. Or user created content in general (paint jobs, user controlled factions / powers, but sorry, that is off topic).

Especially for space games which attract a lot of technically minded people with experiences in software.

Just look at what people have done with the voice attack voice packs!

WoW's success for example was partially because it allowed modding through XML / Lua very early on. Quite a bit of the later game design of WoW was basically open sourced - since modding the UI allowed an open source approach many ideas and tools were "prototyped" and later adopted into the game.

My dream would be that we could even create custom missions - with an editor like you can create custom maps in starcraft, totally transforming the game.

For UI modding in ED I have hopes that there will be "VR overlay browsers" that can practically integrate into any VR game.

The sad thing is the hackers have had market dump for the past month and with fd holding back on a proper dump even if it's a workaround penalises standard players by making life harder for them.

Michael: would you consider supporting a community effort to nail down the public side of the API ourselves (with input from FD where possible, letting us know what sort of data you are and aren't willing/able to provide via APIs)?
    That might allow the community to sort the specifics of what we want (and in what form) ourselves, while FD are busy with Powerplay and whatever comes next. That way, when it eventually creeps up the priority list, hopefully you might have a public-side spec to work to "for free"...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast