Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: Gollancz novel ELITE: NEMORENSIS by Simon Spurrier

ANNOUNCEMENT: Gollancz novel ELITE: NEMORENSIS by Simon Spurrier

ELITE: NEMORENSIS by Simon Spurrier, published by Gollancz in eBook (May 2014) and Hardback (Autumn 2014)

Synopsis:
    Two lovers steal a spaceship and go on the run, attacking at random and revelling in the fame and glory their violence brings them. Celebrated by the jaded youth of the Federation and urged on to ever more flashy acts of destruction, they know it won't be long before they are caught and killed.

But someone is following the couple. Someone who knows why they are so obsessed with each other. Who knows where they are heading. Who knows why.

Someone who knows more about them than they do themselves. And has another plan for their deaths...

The Author(s):
    Simon Spurrier is currently writing X-MEN for Marvel Comics and CROSSED for Avatar Press, and has written for Judge Dredd, Wolverine and many other popular characters. He has published two novels with Hodder and five licensed novels based on Warhammer and 2000AD properties.

You can follow Simon on twitter here.

The Cover:

Ebook Preorder Links (published May 15 2014 worldwide):

Amazon UK
    Amazon US
    Apple UK
    (more to come as the data feeds out)

Hardback Preorder Links (published Autumn 2014 UK, shortly after worldwide):

(to come as the data feeds out)

An Extract (unproof-read or formatted, mildly NSFW):Edited to add: Oh look, the forum has taken out the naughty words. The real books will have them!

On screen, in and around a zone of heavy debris – close to where the The hung inert – the Shattergeist flowed and flipped like a bright bead on a squall: as graceful as it was chaotic. In spite of its polished aesthetic the gold-class yacht (SixJen could recognise the curves and phallic body of an S.K. ‘Dolphin’ pleasureboat, even beneath the crazed welter of fins and lobstered plates someone insane, tasteless and wealthy had used to accessorize it) was built for comfort, not combat. And yet the Shattergeist described a course of inconsistent loops and lunges which decried its prolate build. In one phase it corkscrewed among the stellar junk like a dragonfly: soft course-tweaks suggesting a pilot of such instinctive prescience SixJen didn’t spot a single crumb of contact-flare on its bow, nor any but the most unnecessarily awesome deployments of the bounty hunter’s arsenal depleting its shield. And then, just as effectively, without warning, it assumed the role of a stellar thug: shouldering aside detritus to scatter walls of white-hot rubble into its pursuer’s path.
    ‘She’s good,’ SixJen intoned.
    Only Lex – after long years of experience in what passed for SixJen’s body-language – might have detected the shadow of a whiff of a ghost of admiration in her voice. Perhaps even a frisson of concern. Fortunately, via lessons learned long ago, he wasn’t in the habit of mentioning it.
    ‘You’re sure it’s her at the wheel?’ he chirruped. ‘Not the patsy? This … this rock star guy?’
    ‘It’s her.’
    ‘So what action?’
    A twinned bubble of lightflares whited-out the holo’s gain. The first was one of two grossly overloaded Killkure™ plasma bombs the The’s scanners had spotted aboard the merc’s Cobra, sublimating several tonnes of vac-borne spacetrash. The second, somewhat less elegant, was the Cobra itself: shunting brutally into a cunningly-deposited lump of dazzlechaff the fugitive had dumped during combat. By the time the screen had compensated for both dazzlespots the two ships had emerged with shields bleeding antineutrinos and hulls trendily distressed, but otherwise unharmed. And resumed their maddening dance.
    ‘No action,’ SixJen said. ‘We wait.’
    This, after all, was the game. The game as she chose to play it.
    No excitement. No rush.
    Let the other competitors show themselves. Let them be exhausted and drained by the chase. Let them chip away at the prey until both are panting and weakened. Let them lower their guards. Let them stand, swords steaming, beside the lake beneath the tree with the golden bough—
    And then.
    Then!

Lex made a point of clearing the throat he didn’t have. ‘There is, ah … one thing …’
    ‘Mm?’
    ‘You’re doing it again.’
    SixJen glanced down, knowing instantly what he meant. Sure enough, a ragged red line welled from a cut along the back of her forearm: one edge of the flechette’s sharpened fins pricking in for a second pass. A tube of blood, untroubled by gravity, sat over the wound like a crimson worm, rippling longitudinally, waiting for its own surface tension to fail. She glared at it, at what she’d done to herself, with a faint flicker of shame: a sensation so unfamiliar that it perversely engendered an equal and opposite buzz of savage pride –
    I can still feel!
    – both of which Actual Emotions so overwhelmed her that she swiped away the blood without thinking, scattering a small swarm of glinting, weightless rubies to shatter and circulate through the cockpit.
    Her annoyance at that, depressingly, barely registered.
    Numb. In and out. And worse every day.
    She clamped a hand to the wound, covering it and the countless others – some scabbed, some scarred – already whorling across the back of her right arm, noting that even on self-destructive autopilot her brain had been coldly rational enough not to slice too deep. In silent comparison she stole a glance at the back of her other arm. The holy one. No crazy crisscross there. No messy displacement guiltily recorded on tea-tone skin.
    The left arm, no, was not a canvas for the Casual Doodle.
    But still: the left arm displayed scars. Seven, in all. Deeper, more deliberate; each a puckered pair of thin keloid lips. Five she’d collected in person. The second victim, and the fourth, had each already accounted for one other apiece, hence seven. She’d gained most of them from back near the start, back when the chase seemed fresh and fierce, before the empty spaces and the creeping cold.
    Seven down. Four still out there.
    It had never lasted this long before.
    She returned her gaze to the holo and shuttered down her eyes. The dogfight, she noted, was growing even dimmer.
    ‘We’re drifting out of range,’ Lex supplied. ‘You want me to get us cl—’
    ‘I’ll do it.’
    She flew perfectly, of course. A few exquisite tweaks, a few directional nudges to affect a course-change, parroting a Brownian-buffeting by other nearby junk, to carry them softly back towards the battle. So deft was her touch that the The barely lifted from its sleeper-state: expenditures of heat so faint that none but the most grotesquely refined systems could have detected them, and even then only with pilots undistracted by the more pressing concerns of mortal combat.
    More sharply defined onscreen by proximity, the merc’s Cobra was maintaining a constant stream of kinetic destruction: every fifth shell a blazing tracer, every twentieth a rad-dirty klikbug to help his vectoring. SixJen watched him tailspin from an outfacing loop to intercept the runner as it came back round – and for one hateful second she was certain he’d done it: had outflown the fugitive, had smuggled a direct line onto its least shielded front-facing aspect. But the clever little move paid no dividends. Even as the Cobra poured fire and tweaked for its strike the Shattergeist had already shifted out of alignment: a crash-halt followed by a monodirectional burst from a dorsal thruster. It simply dropped perpendicular to the combat, like an anchor into an abyss – precisely the sort of spatial sneakiness which marked out the born spacejockey from the glorified atmoflyer.
    ‘Huh,’ Lex declared. Algorithmically impressed.
    Far worse for the hunter, as he flopped and struggled to regain his line, was a massive slab of the dead freighter which came bumbling from the mass to fragment across his starboard fluke.
    ****ty luck, SixJen thought without sympathy. Quietly self-censoring the arising notion that the Shattergeist’s eccentric moves might have been leading to this all along. Nobody’s that good.
    The shields on the merc’s Cobra held up, though barely, and the monstrous wreckage crumbled around them like an icesheet striking flame. But in all the foaming ionic chaos the Cobra’s inertia was annihilated, and it tumbled back from the collision with the selfsame force it was so flamboyantly expending to survive.
    And then the turn.
    In that one moment of shieldlight and confusion, as the hunter grappled with unhelpful physics and hurried to recharge his shield, the Shattergeist had all the time in the world to bolt. To max-gee out of range and start pounding out the warpjumps: testing the chaser’s ability to follow, widening the lag in a great, glorious chase across inconceivable space. SixJen herself sat poised to pursue.
    But the Shattergeist didn’t move.
    Lex parroted a pointless intake of nonbreath. ‘Are they …?’
    It opened fire.

Any questions, please ask them here, direct to the editor (me!) on twitter, or at the Gollancz blog.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Stuck.

Let us know if you want the thread titles edited etc.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Thread title amended.

Pre-ordered for my kindle.
    Commander Chuck Schwammerl

Design Discussion Archive Index

Sounds like Bonnie & Clyde or Micky & Mallory (Natural Born Killers) or maybe even some Thelma & Louise with a spacey twist. Could be fun!

Looking forward to the printed variants

All three books pre ordered.

Is there any particular reason to why the books are only available to UK customers on the Amazon.co.uk site. I had to use the Amazon.com (US) site to order which is normally not the case when I order books from Amazon.

Since Amazon UK operates under EU rules and regulations I much prefer to order from there. I almost decided to wait until alternatives were available and am still wondering if I should cancel and wait.
    "Adventure is just bad planning."

Have pre ordered all three books

Yeah it does have a nice Bonny and Clyde feel to this one. It's probably the most intruiging of the three to me. I can't remember how to spell intriguing. Ooo I got it right that time.

Originally Posted by Gimi View Post (Source)
    All three books pre ordered.

Is there any particular reason to why the books are only available to UK customers on the Amazon.co.uk site. I had to use the Amazon.com (US) site to order which is normally not the case when I order books from Amazon.

Since Amazon UK operates under EU rules and regulations I much prefer to order from there. I almost decided to wait until alternatives were available and am still wondering if I should cancel and wait.
    Hi Gimi

Whereabouts are you based? It sounds like a regional thing which is almost certainly Amazon-led rather than coming from us, but I can investigate if you let me know.

Best, and thanks for ordering!
    Marcus

Originally Posted by Gimi View Post (Source)

That's the Amazon way. They serve their e-books to all European countries (except for the UK) from the American site. Somewhat annoying, but workable.

Originally Posted by Susimetsa View Post (Source)
    That's the Amazon way. They serve their e-books to all European countries (except for the UK) from the American site. Somewhat annoying, but workable.
    And they sell their UK books from Luxembourg to avoid British VAT (whilst still charging the customer British VAT rates). Wonderful company, Amazon...
    Tales from the Frontier - an anthology of official Elite: Dangerous stories

Originally Posted by marcusgipps View Post (Source)
    Hi Gimi

Whereabouts are you based? It sounds like a regional thing which is almost certainly Amazon-led rather than coming from us, but I can investigate if you let me know.

Best, and thanks for ordering!
    Marcus
    Hi Marcus

I'm based in Norway.
    I buy a lot of books through Amazon, but I think this is the first time I have bought and e-book through them (I have downloaded free e-books from Amazon.co.uk without any issues). I have been redirected to the US site before, but in that case it was software.

Normally, with physical items at least, I can use Amazon UK fine.
    I wonder if this is Amazon's way out of VAT. Norway has an agreement with the EU, but not with the US regarding charging Norwegian VAT. If that is the case I think I'm ok with it
    "Adventure is just bad planning."

very much looking forward to the finished article.

any book signings arranged ?!

/wave
    Originally Posted by Stealth finger
    Yeah, eagle is what I meant, too many snakes and birds to keep track of lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast