Page 1 of 31 1236 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Dev Update - 07.05.2015

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Dev Update - 07.05.2015

Hi everyone,

I’ve had a few questions on this subject, so in this week’s dev update I will talk about cheating in game and the different approaches we’re taking to tackle the issue. First and foremost it is player feedback that helps us identify and then deal with cheating. This is especially true if a new method has been discovered to cheat in the game and that brings it to our attention to look into. Reporting cheats also means that we can conduct a thorough investigation of that player’s history to confirm if they have ever cheated or not.

We don’t just rely on player reports. We also have various tools that inform us of incidents of cheating. We’ll then review all incidents of cheating to ensure we take the correct course of action. In a few cases it can be that we identify a cheat that can’t be proven retrospectively but we can at least block and/or track the same behaviour for the future. We are constantly expanding the behaviours and markers that can be detected by the game and the servers.

We’re able to detect a variety of cheating instances which fall into these main areas: account trading, client hacking, bug exploits and player harassment or abuse. I’ve included account trading and harassment here because they follow a similar procedure to investigating cheating.

If we determine that a player has cheated (or some other proscribed action) then we have a range of measures that we can apply based on the seriousness of the action. For minor issues we can issue a warning, this is communicated to the player by customer support. Warnings are discretional only and not an automatic first step in the process. Indeed for serious issues we are likely to proceed immediately to the higher level penalties. We can also remove any quantifiable gains from the player if that is deemed appropriate.

We also have the concept of a shadow ban. A shadow ban will allow an player to continue playing Elite: Dangerous but will put them on a separate server that won’t affect any of our honest players; or the galaxy simulation. A player can be shadow banned for a day, a week or permanently depending on severity of the action and if the player repeatedly performs prohibited actions.

There is also the option for a permanent ban, this would only usually apply to account trading, severe harassment or abusive players.

You can help us react to incidents of cheating by remaining vigilant and help us by continuing to report players in game who you believe are cheating so we can investigate further.

On a lighter note, this week also saw the release of the latest Mac beta build with a some good performance improvements and stability fixes.

Thanks

Michael

Great, an update just as I wake up and check the forums!

Thanks Michael!

I'm glad to hear about this. It's a shame that more people don't understand divulging tactics on how this is being handled is simply put, not smart.

Re: cheats ... have you tried listening to them?™

Good post but Michael, can you iterate when 1.3 is scheduled? Or you still haven't decided as it's ongoing thing? We already closing to 1/3 in May and there's no sign of release date or anything. Just curious.

As for cheating - it is nice to see that shadow ban is confirmed, and also hear confirmation that you have tools to do your job to catch people who are out there to spoil game for everyone else. I haven't seen anything that remotely could be called cheating or even griefing, but I guess I am just lucky.

I'm very glad to hear that FD is taking the lead.

Thanks Michael.

Thanks Michael!

Just out of curiosity - and I will accept it if you say you prefer not to disclose for the integrity of the anti-cheating measurements - do shadow-banned players share a shadow-ban server and see each other, or do they just end up seeing no one at all. For it would be hilarious if in the end the only people notorious cheaters can ever affect - is other notorious cheaters.

Great to hear about this. Keep up the good work and this game will be epic

Good news.

And if someone was caugh on cheating, he should be tagged in Openplay, degraded from CMDR to CHTR.

Originally Posted by Pecisk View Post (Source)
    Good post but Michael, can you iterate when 1.3 is scheduled? Or you still haven't decided as it's ongoing thing? We already closing to 1/3 in May and there's no sign of release date or anything. Just curious.

As for cheating - it is nice to see that shadow ban is confirmed, and also hear confirmation that you have tools to do your job to catch people who are out there to spoil game for everyone else. I haven't seen anything that remotely could be called cheating or even griefing, but I guess I am just lucky.
    There are still 3.5 weeks of May.

Excellent news... although you've let the cat out the bag that there is a server that has no effect on the galaxy.. in b4 cries of you releasing it for solo players who want offline

Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    Thanks Michael!

Just out of curiosity - and I will accept it if you say you prefer not to disclose for the integrity of the anti-cheating measurements - do shadow-banned players share a shadow-ban server and see each other, or do they just end up seeing no one at all. For it would be hilarious if in the end the only people notorious cheaters can ever affect - is other notorious cheaters.
    ^This^

Exactly what i thought!

15. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #15
    Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post (Source)
    Good news.

And if someone was caugh on cheating, he should be tagged in Openplay, degraded from CMDR to CHTR.
    Hm, an interesting idea with the naming prefix part...

Page 1 of 31 1236 ... LastLast