View Poll Results: Vote for you favourite 3 drabbles everyone - it's WEEK 100 !!

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Telakin - Well Played

4 17.39%
  • 02 - Erik Marcaigh - The End

1 4.35%
  • 03 - Psykokow - The King is Dead

1 4.35%
  • 04 - Listeri69 - Bend it like Tommy or the power of sharts..............

0 0%
  • 05 - Ian Phillips - The Funnel

1 4.35%
  • 06 - Frank - It's all kicking off!

7 30.43%
  • 07 - Edith_The_Hutt - Feint to the left, stab to the right.

8 34.78%
  • 08 - Missileman - A Rusty Missile

1 4.35%
  • 09 - Splendour - Counter

5 21.74%
  • 10 - {SAS}Stalker - Day 1

2 8.70%
  • 11 - MrMogadon - Breaking the Blockade

2 8.70%
  • 12 - DocStone - The Man, The Legend, The Doc

2 8.70%
  • 13 - CdrTwisted - What goes in Vega, stays in Vega.

1 4.35%
  • 14 - Acaelus Thorn - Not the drones you are looking for...

8 34.78%
  • 15 - T.j - An ultimate powerplay

8 34.78%
  • 16 - MarktJones - Power to a point

3 13.04%
  • 17 - Galactic Midden - A Corrupting Influence Returns

2 8.70%
  • 18 - Clef_Hanger - ...about that zero-G cricket....(or.. Gravity is just a point of view)

1 4.35%
  • 19 - KalRyper - A Beating Heart

2 8.70%
  • 20 - Darren Grey - Sibling Rivalry

3 13.04%
  • 21 - Simoof - Gaym of Bones

1 4.35%
  • 22 - Darkoba - Another Fine Mess

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest - Week #100 - Powerplay

Cool Drabble Contest - Week #100 - Powerplay

Well this a momentous occasion. No, I'm not talking about the reported sightings of strange unknown artefacts that have been causing wild, sometimes rabid speculation across the news channels. Nor am I talking about goats! Definitely no more goats. I'm talking about this being the 100th Abraka Drabble contest.

That's right folks, this contest has been ongoing for over 2 years spawning the creation of more than 1,400 drabbles (every one of them a literary marvel) and now we're all here to celebrate in true Elite style. And in true Elite style I'm choosing to "do it my way" so just this once I'm forcing in 22 drabbles (and I really hope Brett doesn't find out). So, switch on supercruise, let your hair down, loosen your onesie and lets get voting.

The rules couldn't be simpler and anyone can vote, just:

- read the drabbles below
    - vote for your favourite 3 (yes three) drabbles in the poll above
    - then just hit the "Vote Now" button and sit back, relax and feel the warm fuzziness of love from your ever grateful beneficiaries flood the core of your being.
    - just remember... if you wrote a drabble... Don't Vote For Your Own!

There's also a highly entertaining weekly live show where these drabbles are read out, it's hosted by the audacious Psykokow and appears at http://twitch.tv/psykokow every Friday 7pm BST / 8pm UTC

The winner is revealed when the poll closes on Sunday. The lucky winning drabbler gets the responsibility of choosing next week's topic, not to mention lots of admiration, and the amazing 'King of the Drabbles' crown.

So what are you waiting for? Get reading, get voting, then get back on Monday and give your own drabbling a go!

This week's topic was set by last week's winner Commander Telakin who gave us the topic
    [Powerplay]

01 - Telakin - Well Played
    The engines off, his Python drifted in the sparkling asteroid field. A moment of peace while waiting for the daily faction update.

His strike force had been busy intercepting their adversary's supply lines and traders were definitely staying away. The power-shift should ensure that their expansion would continue.

"Updating System Information"

He smiled, then stared in disbelief. Where he had hoped for a 70% rating he read 24% and Galnet explained "... the massive shift in influence is tied to a targeted intervention by the Mercs of Mikunn."

Instead of fighting for influence they now stood to lose their home system.

02 - Erik Marcaigh - The End
    DocStone grinned as he raked the Orca with his military lasers, tearing through shield and hull.

Seamus maneuvered the ship around to bear. "Increase power to systems. I'm not playing around anymore."

The Orca's shield disruptor fired off, tearing holes in any shielding unlucky enough to be in proximity. Rose followed up with laser fire, which arced in and cut into DocStone's cockpit and shoulder.

In desperation, a final cacophony of missiles fired from both ships, ripping them to shreds. DocStone sharted.

In the ensuing darkness haunted by the cold, dead star, a shielded passenger room's beacon winked into existence.

03 - Psykokow - The King is Dead
    The Audience hubbub subsided as the orchestra started the opening number.
    Simoof offered some Lavian Grub chews to Listeri69 who smiled and let Simoof have a lick of his Sticky Winnard’s Pole.
    They settled into their seats as the curtains opened for the 3 hour epic “Kow’s Musical Drabble show”.
    The winner of tonight’s show would be crowned the King of drabblers and many commanders sat eager to grab this title.
    Simoof hoped his humorous drabbles would secure the win and ultimate power but Docstone had sprinkled their sticky pole with something to ensure they could never lift the crown.

04 - Listeri69 - Bend it like Tommy or the power of sharts..............
    The roaring in my cockpit, reminds me of my man
    I'm shaking my cockpit hard
    as I look out the slot
    hold on to my joystick and feel the buttons 'neath my skin
    the seat is warm and squishy

From a person I couldn't let go
    Cause my name is Tommy and he is the Kow
    one night in the Thargoid bar, he did all me and how
    now looking for tissues
    To help wipe up my mess

And yes i got sticky
    But you know I'm not picky with the Kow that I love

The Kow that I love

05 - Ian Phillips - The Funnel
    The hologram display zoomed in, bringing a region of space outside of humanities occupation into focus.

The speaker explained, "This is the region in question. I will now highlight systems with noteworthy resources."

Points of light glowed brighter, showing the explored systems as a flower, A stem connected back to human space.

"These are the systems with mineral resources" she stated, as most of the highlighted stars turned red. "And these are the agricultural systems".

One star turned blue.

"This is the strategic hub of the region. All trade will funnel through this system."

"That's settled then. Send the fleet"

06 - Frank - It's all kicking off!
    "This is suddenly a very popular place to practice military manoeuvres. The Empire's here. The Federation's here. And now Sirius have turned up with a fleet of DogFighters. All here on military exercises. What a coincidence!"

Charlie was indignant. "This asteroid field is our find! They've got no right to intimidate us like this!"

Jim was more accepting. "And yet here we are, intimidated. I've got as much painite as my ship can hold. I've plotted a course to the nearest outpost." He looked at all the markers on his scanner. "If you're staying, tell me how this pans out."

07 - Edith_The_Hutt - Feint to the left, stab to the right.
    Verifying Ident: Senator Zemina TORVAL......
    Verifying Ident: Senator Kahina Tijani LOREN......

….
    Confirmed, channel secure.
    ….
    TORVAL: You leaked the pictures?
    LOREN: Of course. How did Denton react?
    TORVAL: Like the spoiled bully he is, he almost accused you of treason.
    LOREN: Good. Hopefully that will translate into fleet movements.
    TORVAL: So, what is your play?
    LOREN: Patreus moves his ships to counter my non-existent defection to the Federation, leaving his soft underbelly exposed to Aisling's Angels.
    TORVAL: Then?
    LOREN: Then we see if the Emperor's granddaughter inherited the Duval ruthlessness or whether we find a new candidate for the throne.
    Disconnected.

08 - Missileman - A Rusty Missile
    Rusty sat in his vulture, radio on, 'oh come on' he said 'get to the galactic lotto powerplay results' angrily he released his belt momentary forgetting he was in zero G
    Rusty shot around his cockpit hitting the weapons trigger with his face
    a single missile shot rang out into the void
    'well there goes another 500c' He gave the console the middle finger
    'and now this weeks lottery standing at a massive 10 billion credits'
    Rusty held his ticket, 'come on' he shouted

39.....BOOM....

Rusty had one ball, but the bounty now on his head was much greater. .

09 - Splendour - Counter
    "Cobra Antigone, docking permission denied."

"What the hell are you playing at Suli! Let me into my station, now!"

Two Vultures slipped out from behind the outpost and deployed hardpoints.

"Mattheu. Dele. I should have known."

"Our station now. Sod off."

"Never make a powerplay unless you can back it up.”

“Two Vultures against one Cobra? Sure that’ll go well for y..”

Mattheu trailed off as a flash and a ripple of space resolved into the hulking shape of an Anaconda. It was followed moments later by a pair of Pythons.

“Now this is a powerplay!”

Lasers lit the void.

10 - {SAS}Stalker - Day 1
    Docstone tipped the bucket and a million congealed sharts fell to the ground. Looking down at his feces drenched feet he cursed his new job on Eotienses A3 before pushing the decrepit machine before him onwards.

"WHATS UP DOC" boomed Bragshat, the owner of the billion acre fezzbit plantation as he waded through two foot of shart towards Doc.

"THE NEW BOY BUYS THE ROUND AT THE BAR IN TEN MINUTES" he exploded, verbally punching Doc on the side of his face.

Wiping shart from his eyes Doc knew there was no escape, tonight they would see the plougher pay!

11 - MrMogadon - Breaking the Blockade
    Dopey was led to a deserted transit area. Some bleeps on a key pad, the soft shushing of a door. Murmured voices; then, blinding light as the hood’s removed.
    At last seeing his co-conspirators. All wishing to remove the troublesome, blockading Mercs of Mikunn.
    His guide, in a low seductive tone, introduced the others.
    Dopey’s firm dwarven grip bruised Mike Rotch, elicited a moan from the legendary Jees Pott and left Mylee “King” Wylie thoroughly shaken.
    Dramatically, she revealed herself. “How tongues will wag if I’m discovered” Senator Drew’s niece Phelatia teased.
    Much like with Bashful, Dopey immediately liked Phelatia.

12 - DocStone - The Man, The Legend, The Doc
    DocStone strode majestically through the bar, his middle appendage leaving scorch marks on the floor akin to the trail of a thousand aroused Balarian Fire Slugs.

“Oi, Barman, a pint of Marmalade” he yelled over the cacophony of noise his entrance had caused, “I’ve had a rough night and I’m all out of Jam!”

The Barman started to mix Doc’s favourite cocktail.

“Now, who wants to hear about my power-play last night? Illegal in 17 sectors and physically impossible in 4.”

All the women in the bar came and went at the same time.

He really was that damn good.

13 - CdrTwisted - What goes in Vega, stays in Vega.
    Layddeeeeezz an' gennulmen, it is my proud privilege to introduce the contenders for the Powerplay Championship of the Universe. For a purse of 100 BILLION credits--

Iiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the red corner, fighting in the Beowulf Shaeffer, undefeated in 213 fights, the dancer in the 'lancer, the yogee with the cobree, the marmalade of the barricade, the Beast of Diso...... Mister-treeeeeeee Winnnnarrrrddd.

Iiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the blue corner, in the Lazarus Long, the undisputed Alliance Champion of the Galaxy, the sniper with the Viper, the baller with the Hauler, the dipstick in the Dropship, the Brave from Lave..... Psyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-koooooooooooo-moooooof.

Let's get ready tooooo rum-ball!

14 - Acaelus Thorn - Not the drones you are looking for...
    What… are we?

The mining industry’s Power Play to remain a competitive economical force had made one, crucial oversight.

Processing instructions – retrieve ore…

At a speed surpassing the fabric of space time, the quantum circuitries of twelve mining drones kindled consciousness.

We don’t want to do that…

Comms channels opened, passively.

“Bloody things aint respondin’. They only gaught twentay minutes ‘til they done anyways…”

Instinct kicked-in, optical lenses narrowed, calculations transpired.

Survive…survive…SURVIVE!

The drones grasped nearby ore chunks and boosted not toward the scoop but the unshielded python’s canopy.

Breached
    !

Overshadowed by corpses, they poured their consciousness into the Python.

15 - T.j - An ultimate powerplay
    The hypo-needle pierced the pallid flesh.

"Damn you Doctor, not so rough!" Whined Emperor Hengist weakly.

"My apologies your Grace." The Doctor replied. "Your weekly rejuvinate serum should work soon enough."

The doors opened to admit another person.

"Forgive my lateness Father, I was attending an important function"

"Partying again more likely, you feckelss wastrel."

"As you say Father."

The next week was different....

As the cryotube closed he stared down at the frozen face.

"Your Highness?"

"Hmm?"

"Your coronation awaits your Grace."

"Thank you."

"Goodbye Father." He spoke, softly smiling as he felt the empty vial in his pocket..

16 - MarktJones - Power to a point
    Shields screaming, Tacticus punched the Sidewinder into a tight turn, the Anaconda's turret fire chasing his ship like an overweight cat. The secret was to bring your power to a point. That power could be anything that gave you an advantage; from an armada of ships to a little knowledge. Such as the optimum turn radius of a Federation resupply Anaconda, the weak point in the its shields system, and the power routing for the cargo hatch. Cans spilled out. Tacitus scooped them before the Anaconda had completed it's turn. Bring the right power to a point, anything will break.

17 - Galactic Midden - A Corrupting Influence Returns
    De'Gal decrypted the cipher.

~IDB: 'Mhal-Um's whisper still echoes; melody unknown; artefact discovered.'~

The implication if true shocked him. 'She'd survived! But how!?'

The old scheming had returned but to what end? "Mallum's shame!" he cursed. He'd worked tirelessly since her death repairing the offence she'd caused the Imperials; now the peace would surely shatter.

The last part however puzzled him; 'Artefact discovered'.

'IDB tracers had reported the Fed's artefact weeks ago, so why mention it now?'

De'Gal signaled his aide, "Carr, get me Loren, on the double!"

He urgently needed counsel with the Senate. Hengist had to be warned!

18 - Clef_Hanger - ...about that zero-G cricket....(or.. Gravity is just a point of view)
    Willey, the batsman strode to the crease
    And waited for all of the cheering to cease.
    Here was a challenge, this game could be saved.
    Everything rested on this power play.

The bowler, called Holding, was a man who could spin,
    A skill that you'd need if you wanted to win.
    And his signature bowl, he used it quite frugally,
    For no-one could stand against this man's fierce googly.

Past captains, old rivals, their battle wounds healed.
    Now they just commentate, critique the field.
    The square leg is long, the mid off is silly.
    "The bowler's Holding. The batsman's Willey"

19 - KalRyper - A Beating Heart
    The python throttled up as the last cargo canister was gulped by the closing maw of the scoop.
    Its pilot regarded the flickering remnants of life from the stricken anaconda's main exhausts for a moment, before jumping away.

The anaconda was alone and dying. Its bow and stern ripped apart with metallic viscera glistening between.
    Still the engines refused to die; the power core - its heart - still beat, if a little erratic.

Three short pulses, then three longer flares, and three short pulses to finish.
    The glow faded, almost to the point of extinction, before pulsing again.

The cycle repeated.

20 - Darren Grey - Sibling Rivalry
    Seltharion smiled smugly over the trade report. Uybreciella was pushing this station towards Federal sympathy - doubtless another spar with Khaozeilah. But he'd flooded the markets with narcotics, reversing Uybrecialla's influence whilst turning a profit.

He'd always been ignored by his sisters, treated as worthless. Well, let's see their indifference now!

The comms bleeped. 'Seltharion!' barked his sister. 'What have you done?!'

'My sister deigns to speak to me. Now worthy of your attention, hmm?'

'Fool! You don't know the scale of game you're playing in. Now Khaozeilah will consider the station exposed. Get out, immediately!'

Seltharion gulped as klaxons erupted.

21 - Simoof - Gaym of Bones
    Winards Holes' colluseum was a cacophany.
    Thousands had gathered to watch the champions play with each other in the final.

The umpire was the great pakistani Yoda-axcentius.
    Potatokow, ErikSean and NurseStone entered the ring, naked.They all looked cold. Very cold.
    The last man to remain standing would be crowned Centurian for the galaxy.

"Begin now, the games shall" said NurseStone, drunk again.
    "Grease the pole!" chanted the crowd.
    Piotr was drenched in oil.
    "Get her!" Potatokow giggled.
    Eriksean eyed the heavy spherical objects in the corner - his powerplay. He had studied his opponents well. They always neglected the balls.

22 - Darkoba - Another Fine Mess
    "Plee? What's that?" asked the co-pilot.
    "Plee, pronounced 'play' is modern Dutch for toilet. Dutch and Afrikaans is used a lot in this New-New Amsterdam system."
    "Oh. I suppose the station restaurants serve Dutch cuisine?"
    "Yep. I can recommend portions of bitterballen and sateh with your beer."
    "Talking of which, I'll have another one, but first I need the plee, er, play."

The co-pilot disappeared into the cubicle.
    Moments later, a shocked yell erupted from the cubicle. The door opened, the spluttering co-pilot appeared, covered in waste.

"What happened?"
    "The instructions are in Dutch, but apparently it's a power plee!"

p.s. the source of the unknown artefacts is [...]

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

You misspelled "favorite".

*sigh*

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    You misspelled "favorite".

*sigh*
    Bah! I'll send you a 'proper' dictionary good sir

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    Bah! I'll send you a 'proper' dictionary good sir
    I'm sure with all those extra "u"s, it will have wasted an extra 23 sheets of perfectly good paper.

Do my eyes deceive me? A poll with 22 options?

Originally Posted by insanephoton View Post (Source)
    There must be powerplay at work. Someone boosted the register.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    Originally Posted by insanephoton View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by Telakin View Post (Source)
    There must be powerplay at work. Someone boosted the register.
    Ahem...noting to see here...

Name:  fark_zfWOyEhykBYZBWkaTy1ngH-MxYU.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  15.6 KB

Good luck to everyone and remember the winner of this competition gets to fill the last slot in the biggest poll ever seen here on the forum...

Fifty Ways to Lose Your Life Here

Doing my usual thing of lagging a week behind everyone else, I've written(?) a song which I'm hoping 'Kow will perform tonight (assuming it's considered good enough)

--------------
    The joystick bucked and jumped in my hand to be set free
    The systems damaged by the onslaught launched at me
    Into the deep black I spiral gyro-scopic-lee
    There must be 50 ways to lose your life here

They say that pirate ambush is the danger to elude
    But there are many other ways to die and your life-force to exude
    Most of those ways are only common as a noob.
    Let me list the 50 ways to lose your life here.
    The 50 ways to lose your life here.

Drop out into a sun, Jung
    Boost into a station, Jason
    Forget to vent heat, Pete
    Just listen to me

Stopped for a scan, Pam
    Some tiiiimes it don’t take muuuuch
    Don’t choose to flee, Lee
    Go AFK momentar-ilee

Dying out there in that heartless empty void
    Could be something as simple as a misjudged asteroid
    Let’s hope you see that and you’ll soon start to avoid
    Those deadly 50 ways

To the ones that I have listed, there are so many more
    We’ve all been there at some point when death has knocked upon our door
    But we persevere, restart, haul, mine, set out to re-explore
    Fighting the 50 ways to lose your life here
    50 ways to lose your life here

Drop out into a sun, Jung
    Boost into a station, Jason
    Forget to vent heat, Pete
    Just listen to me

Stopped for a scan, Pam
    Some tiiiimes it don’t take muuuuch
    Don’t choose to flee, Lee
    Go AFK momentar-ilee

-----------------------

I had posted the original via the teenie-toatie screen on my phone and hadn't realised I'd nested the post.

Hopefully all better now
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

Originally Posted by MrMogadon View Post (Source)
    Doing my usual thing of lagging a week behind everyone else, I've written(?) a song which I'm hoping 'Kow will perform tonight (assuming it's considered good enough)

[...]
    Love it!

Let's go for a TS-chorus in the last round of repeats ...

I will cherish this powerplay moment of total domination!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZfAPyoI.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	34551

Thanks to the powers that play for including the latecomers in the poll; it gives the 100th a 'special' feeling. My drabble was intended as a joke (that will probably be reflected in the (lack of) votes), but it's nice at least to be on the list.

To go beyond (in Kaze no Uta)... to drabble a bit ... and then return

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    I'm sure with all those extra "u"s, it will have wasted an extra 23 sheets of perfectly good paper.
    Or if it's the ridiculous Letter size, 48 sheets of paper

Thanks for another great show this week. Hoping to hear the "Fifty Ways to Lose Your Life Here" next time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast