View Poll Results: Pick your favourite three. Go Wild!

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Frank - Ambition's debt is paid

6 42.86%
  • 02 - Ian Phillips - Definitions

5 35.71%
  • 03 - Bikky - HH - Hercules Havoc

1 7.14%
  • 04 - Gibbonici - On The Edge

5 35.71%
  • 05 - azdour - Not the answer they were looking for

3 21.43%
  • 06 - Eyota Winterwalker - despoilers! be aware

2 14.29%
  • 07 - Darkoba - Homework Subject: "Mayhem and Aftermath"

4 28.57%
  • 08 - Yaffle - Intended?

7 50.00%
  • 09 - Splendour - Rhyme or Reason

3 21.43%
  • 10 - The Lone Gunman - Resistance is futile

4 28.57%
  • 11 - insanephoton - Perfect getaway.

3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: Havoc

Drabble Poll: Havoc

Just a little one this week, with a most excellent topic picked by Psykokow. It's a shame he didn't manage to enter a Drabble on his own chosen topic.

I guess the advantage of such a small selection is that it'll be nice and easy to pick yer three without having too much affect on your barrel-shootin' practice.

01 - Frank - Ambition's debt is paid

The Empire was the unwelcome visitor at the door. Sirius was an independent system and they were more than willing to show what sort of firepower their wealth could buy.

Ranks upon ranks of their own types of warships: Mastiffs, Boxers, and Terrier fighters. All straining at the leash. All ready to rip out the throats of the flotilla the Emperor had sent to "strengthen ties." The captains only awaited the code word.

The Senator's tone was now much more diplomatic. The Emperor would require just the smallest of tributes.

The Admiral's single loud cry into the intercom was "Havoc!"

02 - Ian Phillips - Definitions

Smoke darkened the air stinging her unprotected eyes. In the distance a loud crash reached out to jerk her head around in time to see a cloud of dust billow out from a fallen wall. Flames lit ruined buildings from the inside, casting wavering shadows and black smoke into the already overloaded air. Scenes of devastation, shockingly familiar to watchers of news channels.

The reporter slowly panned her camera, revealing yet more devastation, destruction and damage. A scene of utter desolation and waste. This was a catastrophe, a disaster of biblical proportions.

One fallen asteroid, the true definition of havoc.

03 - Bikky - HH - Hercules Havoc

Fourty years away from people. Moving from planet to planet. A solo person hasn’t seen another human in all that time. Now his invention was perfected. Heading into his first settled system, he sells off his Python and buys a modest transporter shifting over his goods.

He heads to Achenar. With misty eyes he releases HH over Capitol. A slave from birth, he watched his parents, sister and wife succumb. ‘To all of you before me, I love you. To the innocents, I’m sorry, this must be done.’

For ten years Hercule will wreak Havoc around Imperialists until desolation abides.

04 - Gibbonici - On The Edge

Manus Dei. The Hand of God. In ancient times they called it PSR B1509-58, one of the first neutron stars ever discovered and still one of the most violent.

We study it from the edge of the system, and sometimes it feels like we're on the edge of reality.

We're trained to filter our sensor readings of course, and to mitigate the havoc it plays with our systems, but the longer we watch the more we sense something else.

You see, among it's chaotic transmissions, we occasionally glimpse faces. Sometimes we hear voices. But mostly it's the endless, endless screaming.

05 - azdour - Not the answer they were looking for

Eclipses on Tendara 15b were special. The recently arrived scientists were ready to start to figure out this worlds secret.

They had 20 minutes to witness the local plants transformation into a species that could survive on meat digestion. A survival mechanism provided through evolution. But why?

21 minutes passed. The planet was still shrouded in darkness. The scientists continued their observations.

But this was no eclipse. A huge asteroid accelerating towards the planet had blocked the sun.

Soon the scientists would learn why these plants transformed and experience the havoc that would ensue from the impact. If they survived.

06 - Eyota Winterwalker - despoilers! be aware

Hard, Advancing, Violent and Ornate Criminals.
    Imperialists.
    Increasers of range, broadeners by superstitious influence.
    Fly their idolotrous flags, from every rampart overtaken.

Homely, Able, Virile, but Opulent Colonists.
    Federation.
    Equally envious of new territory, fresh resourcing.
    Atheistic though, nihilistic in conquest, consumers not for pride.

Two great forces square against each the other, in a cold war.
    Each viewing other, with trustless cold eyes, red alerted forward stations.

But ..
    Hatchling! Avaricious, Vile Ones, now Collected.
    Independents.
    Hurrying here, scurrying there, to upset balance.
    Whose insignificant single deals, play one superpower from the other.

Destabilising the stand off, causing ...

07 - Darkoba - Homework Subject: "Mayhem and Aftermath"

"In 2975 a rebel-leader, Ju-Fortaks forced the Emperor to abdicate, declaring the Fortaks dynasty then defeating three other kingdoms.

Unification of the Empire was only temporary. Conflict and intrigue between the royal family and civil-service undermined the government. Civil war broke out and raged, mainly around Achernar and Barnard's, giving itinerants a long-awaited opportunity to sack the Imperial capital.

Millions of refugees flew out and the economy collapsed. The refugees formed a widespread, loosely connected alliance of governments. It took a long time for the Empire to rebuild itself under the current House."

Expand to 2000 words by tomorrow's class.

08 - Yaffle - Intended?

Just the one little coding change, only a tiny thing, but an important one. The station’s flight control systems had been compromised by a prankster.
    Ships were waiting to dock, ships were in the station, ships were docked. Then the schism was triggered. Suddenly docking bays were changed, permissions revoked, ships issued with loitering infractions while settling down on a pad that was theirs a second ago.
    Traffic outside built up as requests were timed out, frustration building.
    Michael grinned, rubbing his beard as he looked upon the havoc he had wrought. “That should show them” he said to David.

09 - Splendour - Rhyme or Reason

Panel powered, soft comms chatter, engines hum becomes a growl,
    Rising hubward from the platform, undercarriage stowed won't fowl
    On the exit, fast approaching, letterbox 'tween air and naught,
    Past the forcefields, only glass stands between space and cosmonaut.

Growl of engines changes volume, pitch increases as the charge
    Of the frameshift signals motion through the vastness ‘twixt the stars.
    Hyperdrive engages and the universe is crumpled small,
    Then Thunk! A crack! Metal groaning, progress slowing to a crawl.

Panic’d thrusts at lifeless controls, prayers, curses ringing loud
    Octahedral shapes approaching, green lasers a funeral shroud.

Cry Havoc, Thargoids All!

10 - The Lone Gunman - Resistance is futile

"So everything clear?"

Psykokow looked up at the supervisor then towards the huge clock

"Yes, every twenty-four hours i must press this red button or Havoc will be leased upon the universe?"

"Correct, the Alien vaults automatic re-setter was broken when we entered, god knows why they made it, but ours is not to reason why, but to do or die i guess"

"You have luxury here, however you cant leave and will be alone, men of your caliber are hard to find!"

The vault door shut and Psykokow fall asleep, Trillions screamed as he snored through Armageddon!

11 - insanephoton - Perfect getaway.

Klaxons started blaring and Imperial troops rushed about to try and apprehend the intruders. Two figures ran towards the prototype Imperial Cutter. The security chief smiled, the Federation agents were trapped, with no way out of the Imperial shipyard.

'Surrender now, you can't escape'

The agents boarded the Cutter and kissed.

'Ready to create havoc, Amber?'

'Yes Mark' with that she hit a button.

Throughout the shipyard, pre-planted charges exploded and computer viruses were unleashed. Capital ships lurched violently and smashed into one another like drunks on an icerink.

'Let's go home' said Mark, as the Cutter escaped into space.

Pesky moving home, pesky no internet... bah humbug... a pox on your isp's!!!

I hope to return to normal Mid week next week... PLEASE LET IT END!!! PLEASE!! No MORE BOXES I beg of you

Psyko, while you're doing all that real life stuff I'm out in Elite space and getting better as I practise. Now it's going to take you ten seconds to blast me into spacedust instead of the five it would've last week.

So Frank, you've had the barstool bolted into the sidewinder?

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Psyko, while you're doing all that real life stuff I'm out in Elite space and getting better as I practise. Now it's going to take you ten seconds to blast me into spacedust instead of the five it would've last week.
    Well... you have the whole .. cHEATING ALPHA's in their ILL GOTTEN Cobra's shooting us out of the sky!! thing to get past.

I thought/hoped a souped up Sidewinder would be able to tackle a player cobra... but it is just not something you can do... it just doesn't work..

See you in Beta sirs!!!

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    So Frank, you've had the barstool bolted into the sidewinder?
    Not just the Velcroed barstool. I got Sven in here as well, with Jinx Janx and Junx optics. He said if I was going to be spending more time away from the bar that Garthyre wouldn't be able to pay his wages anyway.

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Well... you have the whole .. cHEATING ALPHA's in their ILL GOTTEN Cobra's shooting us out of the sky!! thing to get past.

I thought/hoped a souped up Sidewinder would be able to tackle a player cobra... but it is just not something you can do... it just doesn't work..

See you in Beta sirs!!!
    If we ever do meet out in the stars: you in your solid-gold hyper Cobra acquired by a series of lucrative insurance scams; me in my cardboard Sidewinder that's kept almost spaceworthy with maintenance paid by a mere pittance of ores, just us two prepared to do battle, then I shall use a secret weapon against you. I shall point my finger at you and yell out into the vacuum of space "Hey look over there. Isn't that Psykokow?"

I don't know whether my internet's good enough for multiplayer gaming but if we do meet up I hope we can do it cooperatively. It would be fun to get a squadron of Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance regulars together. - The Thargoid Squad

If I want to be any use at all to my team I'd better get back out there and practise. Them there barrels ain't gonna shoot themselves.

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)

See you in Beta sirs!!!
    Calumny ! I'll have you know that I got my Cobra entirely through legitimate means (almost... I did succumb to temptation once after losing a valuable load to a crash to desktop)

It's hard work defending the poor Impeccable from pirates, fighting Imperial blaggards and tiding up the asteroid belt where careless miners have discarded canisters.

I don't know whether my internet's good enough for multiplayer gaming but if we do meet up I hope we can do it cooperatively. It would be fun to get a squadron of Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance regulars together. - The Thargoid Squad
    Brilliant idea! I hope, if I can ever get my steam and elastic band powered ship off the ground, that I may be included as a fellow Thargoid squaddy?? Pulease?

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    Brilliant idea! I hope, if I can ever get my steam and elastic band powered ship off the ground, that I may be included as a fellow Thargoid squaddy?? Pulease?
    Am up for it at some point, the temptation not to fire on insanes ship will be hard, but i think i can resist ....also i haven't forgotten i owe some of you cargo's holds full of goods, so i have to meet you anyway.

If you'll have me, I'm in.

Originally Posted by Yaffle View Post (Source)
    If you'll have me, I'm in.
    Welcome to the Thargoid Squad.It should be open to anyone who has ordered more than two drinks at the Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance. Once we have enough members we can decided who should be squadron leader. But judging from my piloting skills as demonstrated here I don't think it should be me.

I'm going back out there to see if I can better my time.

Welcome to the Thargoid Squad.It should be open to anyone who has ordered more than two drinks at the Thargoid and Fer-de-Lance. Once we have enough members we can decided who should be squadron leader. But judging from my piloting skills as demonstrated here I don't think it should be me.

I'm going back out there to see if I can better my time.
    I'll try my hand next time I am able to. I have a feeling that hours could be the unit of choice for me.

Originally Posted by Yaffle View Post (Source)
    I'll try my hand next time I am able to. I have a feeling that hours could be the unit of choice for me.
    I was going to say that it wouldn't take hours but I just noticed the timestamp on my post It took me an hour to manage to match Rog's time. I'm now a little worried that I matched the score so easily. It was when I realised that just staying in the same spot was the easiest way to get all of the canisters.

If everyone manages to do it within 42 to 43 seconds then maybe it would be better to change to a tougher scenario to sort the men from the ham-fisted

Final few hours of voting, it's a three-horse race for the lead and we could do with a few more votes!

A smaller number this week, but still a toughie to pick just three.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast