View Poll Results: Which 3 drabbles are the best this week?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Frank: Compotator

4 20.00%
  • 2) Rog: Vox Populi

6 30.00%
  • 3) Gibbonici: Sign of the Times

3 15.00%
  • 4) Eyota Winterwalker: Signs of the Times

2 10.00%
  • 5) Ian Phillips: Patterns

8 40.00%
  • 6) The Lone Gunman: Short cut!

3 15.00%
  • 7) psykokow: Zietgeist

1 5.00%
  • 8) Bikky: Forward Thinking

2 10.00%
  • 9) Philip Coutts: The Lord Giveth and the Pirate Lord Taketh Away

5 25.00%
  • 10) Splendour: Catering

1 5.00%
  • 11) Yaffle: What the Dickens?

2 10.00%
  • 12) cassius: Fly the Friendly Skies

12 60.00%
  • 13) insanephoton: Our Destiny

5 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRABBLE POLL 'Zeitgeist'

DRABBLE POLL 'Zeitgeist'

Now is the time. Take your chance and place your votes for your 3 favourite drabbles.

1) Frank: Compotator
    Jake showed the antique bottle of vodka to Sven saying "I've no idea why it was so cheap. Do you know how old this bottle is? This was bottled before Witchspace Drives. You see that star over there?" Jake pointed upwards, "Bottom left of that square of stars. Well there's a star behind that which is too small to see. The whole of humanity was there along with this bottle"

He solemnly opened it and poured two glasses, but winced with the first sip. Sven asked him what was wrong and Jake replied "It's just the age of the spirit."

2) Rog: Vox Populi
    So the current thinking, if I can call it that, among the citizenry?'

'Polling shows 38% in favour, 26% really in favour, 32% want whatever you want and 4% don't know. They have of course been flagged for 'educational adjustment...'

'Mmmm... And what do you think?'

'............'

'Fret not, just our little whimsy... LEAVE!!'

The imperial psephologist, bowing hurriedly, scuttled away from the assembled council.

'So there we have it... Never let it be said the Empire is unlistening.'

'Friendly diplomatic relations with the Federation will continue.'

'Next item: How long before our new stealth fleets are ready in quantity...?'

3) Gibbonici: Sign of the Times
    Vasen's arms ached. For thirty minutes he'd stood there at gunpoint, hands raised, while the pirates emptied his compound. The last thing they took was a large canister.

"I wouldn't take that if I were you," he said.

"Shut it, old man."

They took it anyway.

Ever since the government collapsed, every kid with a ship was a pirate. Didn't take guts or brains, not like in his day, but whatever.

They boarded their Cobra and took off. Vasen watched it arc skyward then he pressed a button on his watch. High overhead, the Cobra exploded.

"Dumbass kids," Vasen sighed.

4) Eyota Winterwalker: Signs of the Times
    Reclined in an orbital hangar the commander languorously draws her finger across a touchpad, reading markets. Food rates, rising; Kallistrate. Must be a famine. She bites in half the cocktail olive of her Martian-Martini.

In a few short page refreshes, prices rise in Loa, Eutropia. Interesting. How predictable the markets be. Should she jump ahead, supply to those supplying systems? Or farm machinery to boost production there? Or textiles, keep Kallistratians warm.

The commander requests permission to leave, de-docking station, in orbit of Kallistrate; heading to the surface. Slaves will go cheaply today, and let their gemstones pay a passage.

5) Ian Phillips: Patterns
    Zeitgeist always has a trigger.

For us it was the invention of the Instant Travel Hyperdrive, reducing every interstellar journey by weeks.

Travelling to the outer reaches of known space now took a few hours instead of months or even years and as a result Humans exploded outwards in all directions.

Fingers of explored star systems groped their way across the sky, grasping at the intangible, clawing it into our more mundane hands reach.

This is the spirit of our age, the eternal longing for freedom fueling a drive to escape and explore, eagerly dogged by commercial greed.

Nothing changes.

6) The Lone Gunman: Short cut!
    The universe was old, very old

The stars had long gone, suns exhausted, no heat no light

expansion had turned into contraction

Mankind, masters for a million years, died out, their relics lasting barely as long

Other unique intelligence's evolved, then they to died out to

Billions of years passed, and one by one everything that ever was, was no more

and yet HE continued in the eerie darkness, lost

and then, behold! there was light

and on the seventh day, the day of rest, he knew the answer

DB "the answer is procedural generation, it will save me time!"

7) psykokow: Zietgeist
    The cobra drifted listlessly in front of us empty and cold.

Our Targeting systems locked on and we made our way to salvage the hulk.

For some reason our ship power closed down and we floated lifelessly next to it, in synchronised despair.

1900 hours, that's when the first apparition appeared before us with its cautionary tale of woe.. a video log from the hulk with a warning, followed by more logs from ships that had been trapped like ours.

The ship grew cold around us, and we know we haven't long to go, please heed our warning keep clear!

8) Bikky: Forward Thinking
    Ships from all factions were battling over this territory. Twenty battle cruisers and a thousand combat craft between them.

The pink striped, white and gold Dolphin class yacht “THE PHILOSOPHICATORISOR” Trundled headlong through the middle of this battlefield towards the planet, with no-one at the controls, the autopilot set to conserve fuel, time wasn’t important.

Not one ship in the battle attempted to strike it, and actively avoided it. The vessel wasn’t armed and certainly not dangerous, and with minimal shields.

Kant, Heidegger, Neatcher and Descartes, were debating how to teach the natives of this world the futility of war.

9) Philip Coutts: The Lord Giveth and the Pirate Lord Taketh Away
    The Preacher climbed serenely to the pulpit, gazing sternly at his flock.

“Live for today, live for now, this second, this instance, for these are dangerous times my children” He began. “Trust no-one, be on your guard and take no prisoners because life is cheap and wickedness haunts our every move”

The congregation fidgeted nervously.

“Salvation is available to all who seek it” He intoned “For a modest donation of 20,000 credits, our emissaries will ensure that you are safe from these demons”

The pirate lord ended his teachings and noted all those who didn’t pay……. their time would come.

10) Splendour: Catering
    The zeitgeist of fast interstellar travel was being pushed to breaking point by the Lave Trade Federation dinner. In a hundred systems local delicacies were being lovingly crafted by master chefs and then rushed by spaceship to fill a table already groaning beneath the weight of gastronomic wonders, at a cost to make even the most affluent merchant wince.

A Cobra loaded with canapés flashed past the observation window as the Senator cautiously used his fish fork to spear a strange blue worm fricasseed in what might otherwise pass for engine oil.

“Hmm. Bland. Tastes like chicken” Senator Drew remarked.

11) Yaffle: What the Dickens?
    The Emperor stood, and looked at the massed crowd.
    “People ask me about how we compare to the Federation. This is a simple matter. It is the best of times, it is the worst of times, it is the age of wisdom, it is the age of foolishness, it is the epoch of belief, it is the epoch of incredulity, it is the season of Light, it is the season of Darkness, it is the spring of hope, it is winter of despair, we have everything before us, they had nothing before them, we will vanquish, they will be vanquished.”

12) cassius: Fly the Friendly Skies
    And then all at once, our lives became small
    With new drives laid bare, worlds open to all
    With a star to guide, and home at the rear
    The desire to find a sparkling blue sphere
    Astounding new sights just at our fingers
    But despite our rise, our search still lingers
    Some seek out profit, yet more pursue fame
    Some seek to shed blood, but its all the same
    No matter the star, world, nation or ship
    Each one of our lives is nought but a blip
    To pilots, traders, all that meander
    Fly the friendly skies. Right on, Commander

13) insanephoton: Our Destiny
    The technology has been available for years, but only now is it trickling down to the masses. The new drives have opened up a wide range of opportunities.

Humanity has grown tired of the perpetual enmity and suspicion between the factions and has turned its gaze outwards.

The pioneer spirit has been reawakened. People can begin to imagine a life away from the petty rules of emperors, corporations and politicians. An ancient urge, older than humanity itself has begun to reassert itself. We want to be free. We want to explore. Our destiny awaits us. The galaxy is out there.

Hmmm. I think I forgot to put a time limit on the poll....

Can T.j come to the rescue and have it end on Sunday night?

Is that Saturday night as opposed to the usual Sunday night to give us a chance to prepare for the Bunny Monster?

Ummm: thats sunday night as in
    'no, of course I mean sunday' (hastily edits previous post)

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Is that Saturday night as opposed to the usual Sunday night to give us a chance to prepare for the Bunny Monster?
    Ask me about my NZ 'Easter Bunny shoot' story.....

11:20 That's me done for the time being.

Normal service will be resumed on monday evening (when I get back to a computer )

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Ask me about my NZ 'Easter Bunny shoot' story.....
    Arrgh! Now we'll never know. Well I'm going to imagine that it's shoot as in photographic session, and Bunny as in Playboy bunny girls.

The image of cute little dressed-up bunny rabbits with baskets of chocolate Easter eggs getting blown to smithereens by a manic New Zealander in a Rorschach mask does not bear contemplating.

Wif i exist in an 18 century belgian/german farmhouse, and i have a borrowed computer.

No Frank, nothing to do with scantily clad bunny girls. Dream on!

Damn. Should really have 'forgotten' to include Cassius.

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Damn. Should really have 'forgotten' to include Cassius.
    Lol glad you didnt! Still all to play for though... it aint over till its over

Originally Posted by cassius View Post (Source)
    Lol glad you didnt! Still all to play for though... it aint over till its over
    I think there is a fairly large woman clearing her throat somewhere though...

That stout singer is probably looking a little confused about when she should belt out her aria. There doesn't look like there's been any finishing line set.

So when do we finish?

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    That stout singer is probably looking a little confused about when she should belt out her aria. There doesn't look like there's been any finishing line set.

So when do we finish?
    I think Ian said today 11.20pm

Congrats Cassius

Hats off to Cassius and Ian for an out of sight first and second.

Interested parties await the next theme...

Congrats Cassius an excellent drabble

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast