View Poll Results: Which three of these stories are deserving of your devotion

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Listeri69 - Fake Plastic Allegiance.....

3 13.64%
  • 02 - Simoof - House of Drabs

1 4.55%
  • 03 - Alien - A League Of Gents

1 4.55%
  • 04 - Frank - Dessert's Off

5 22.73%
  • 05 - Galactic Midden - Men of the Round Veg-e Table

3 13.64%
  • 06 - Splendour - Powerless

5 22.73%
  • 07 - DocStone - The reality of the situation

7 31.82%
  • 08 - Acaelus Thorn - Creditable Loyalty

3 13.64%
  • 09 - Edith_The_Hutt - Consequences

3 13.64%
  • 10 - insanephoton - Recruitment Pitch

3 13.64%
  • 11 - Missileman - Plenty of Booty

4 18.18%
  • 12 - psykokow - Insider

3 13.64%
  • 13 - Ian Phillips - A greater purpose

6 27.27%
  • 14 - MrMogadon - Why this Place called Lefty's? - Now There's a funny story

5 22.73%
  • 15 - azdour - A belief beyond sanity

5 22.73%
  • 16 - Clef_Hanger - Soapbox Allegiance (The fairground campaign)

7 31.82%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest #104: Allegiance

Drabble Contest #104: Allegiance

Welcome to the 104th Drabble contest. We have for you 16 little works of blood sweat and tears, written in honour of this great game. All we ask in return for entertaining you are a few simple little votes.

Congratulations to the winner of last week's Drabble Contest, Edith the Hut, who came up with this weeks topic, "Allegiance"

Above me is a bunch of options in a poll. It's a multiple choice poll but please limit yourself to only the three votes. The results of the poll will be announced on Monday morning. Not only will the winner receive a stylish imaginary toilet paper crown, they will win the honour of deciding next week's topic.

Voting is free to everybody. But here's a warning to the contestants. DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! Anyone caught voting for themselves will have one of their legs covered in ants.

01 - Listeri69 - Fake Plastic Allegiance.....
    That blue subtle waterfall hair
    for her harsh empire powerplay
    In the great scheme of things
    that she tried to expand into
    so full of expansionists
    to get rid of them all

I grind it out....

I fly in a broken asp
    a shot titanium asp
    that just fizzes and burns
    I used to be good at this
    way back in the early days
    But allegiance always hurts

I...

She looked like the real thing
    wears the imperial ring
    My sweet aisling duval
    But i still get the feeling
    though I'm done with the kneeling
    I can't turn or run..

02 - Simoof - House of Drabs
    Allegiance? The illusion of democracy guised it as something won, nay something earned.
    Spud and Hol knew differently. It was bought, bartered for.
    He glanced around the plates of celebratory cakes.
    Spud was about to stick his finger in his own but Hol... Hols face distorted unnaturally as he collapsed to the floor.
    Spud casually dropped his plate, stepped over Hols carcass and left the room where death had ripened.
    A rookie mistake. The authors and key station owners had been catered to. Ironicaly he had forgotten the master bakers.
    Once victory was declared he knew what to do - Roll-Tax.

03 - Alien - A League Of Gents
    The following all give their apologies for not being at this year's Annual General Meeting

Oliver Klozoff has Bronchiectasis
    Bea O'Problem came down with Cephalohematomia
    Jacques Strap caught Spondylolisthesis
    Mike Rotch contracted Creutzfeld-Jakob disease
    Yuri Nater somehow was afflicted with Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy
    Hugh Jass unfortunately has Hypercalcemia-Supravalar Aortic Stenosis
    Al Coholic had to have an Electroencephalogram
    Amanda Hugginkiss had to have an emergency Abdominoplasty
    Seymour Buttz is with his wife who has Achondroplastic Dwarfism
    and Heywood Yapinchme has come down with Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus

I hope you will wish all our absent members a speedy recovery.

04 - Frank - Dessert's Off
    With all the confusion in the banqueting hall, Persephone was glad to find the Captain of the Guard. "Assassins got in somehow. They killed my father!

You swore allegiance to my father many years ago. Will you now show me this same loyalty? I don't want them standing trial. I want revenge! Go kill his killers."

The captain looked towards the commotion. He pulled out his pistol and shot Persephone. He sneered over her body "I could've prevented this. I refused to believe the intelligence report. I never thought a daughter could do such a thing to her own father."

05 - Galactic Midden - Men of the Round Veg-e Table
    "We who are aboot to fly salute you!" Tattie said admiring his Sturgeonesque reflexion in his viper's apex.

"Nah nah nah, that's the wrong pledge you dolt" Sine-hoof berated his elder Jamaican sibling across the landing bay. You must impress him deeply, Fat Fry, erstwhile the crisp flaky one, or else he'll put you in the salt an aile."

"Ach away bredda, times change ana think we need more spice mon" Tattie sang, a hint of his Icelandic heritage sneaking through.

"They want loyal fighters not just more spacemen and what's with the ridiculous Australian accent!? Just take the oath!"

06 - Splendour - Powerless
    Bucking and twisting at superluminal speeds the yacht finally lost the struggle and was torn away from hyperspace.

Shields glowing azure under the ruby onslaught, the Dolphin rolled wildly and tried to accelerate away from a pack of Sidewinders that had joined the attack.

"You don't know who you're messing with! I swear allegiance directly to Senator Patreus!"

The laconic response was punctuated with further laser fire.

"Buddy, there 'aint no lieges or lords can help you out here on the frontier. You gonna surrender already or do I let the gals have some fun when we’ve reeled you in?"

07 - DocStone - The reality of the situation
    I just don't get some folks. This whole sector’s called “The Barrens” for a reason. No life giving stars, no fancy stations; just rocks, ice and hardship. Won’t find a blue world out here.

Still head out though, looking for that find of a lifetime, that one belt that will make you rich. Imperial, Alliance, Feds. Sell up all you have to finance it too, even bring your families. Bloody fools, all of you.

Ain’t no allegiances out here, ain’t no law neither. You're either a hunter, or you're prey.

And seein’ as I’m the one holding the gun, well……

08 - Acaelus Thorn - Creditable Loyalty
    Li Yong-Rui stood shadowed in the Goldstein Port conference room.

"Did you find it?" He asked Commander Thorn.

"Did you ever doubt me?" Thorn smirked sideways.

"You will be compensated with twice the standard reward for your exploration data and 100 million credits for 'its' location."

"You and I both know that you'll pay far more than that for 'its' location-"

"-So will I." Li's assistant removed her veil and was none-other than Arissa Lavigny-Duval. Distant explosions could be felt. "Did you really believe my Clipper was a Federal Agent? Defecting I see, Thorn. Is your allegiance so easily bought?"

09 - Edith_The_Hutt - Consequences
    Hundreds of refugees huddled around makeshift fires on the mountainside, another long day's trek ahead.

"How much further Mum?"
    "Three days to the spaceport Daniel"
    "Why did mister Parker have that gun?"
    "Because we pledged to Patreus and he pledged to Aisling"
    "But... you were friends..."
    "That was before we pledged, now we're his enemies, and because the Angels won this world he wants us out"
    "Will we come back?"
    "Eventually, yes. And then there's one thing I'm going to do"
    "What?"
    "I'm going to gut that filth Parker for what they did to us. He picked the wrong side"

10 - insanephoton - Recruitment Pitch[/b]
    Pledge allegiance to our glorious leader and you could :-
    Make new friends.
    (You'll also make a lot of enemies. Our rivals will attack you on sight. Even your colleagues may try to undermine your efforts)
    See the galaxy.
    (or at least that bits that we find useful, outside of that you'll be hunted like a criminal)
    Earn big money.
    (All bonus payments are subject to you reaching or exceeding your performance targets, basic pay is minimal)
    Be part of something bigger.
    (A cog in someone else's machine with no say in it's direction)
    Pledge today. You know it makes sense

11 - Missileman[b] - Plenty of Booty
    It ain't easy being a pirate. folks think its all glammer and whatnot
    you know drinking rum, boarding ships, firing ya multicannons into the side of some poor anaconda
    but let me tell you it's hard work once you pledge yer allegiance to that pirate code
    'specially now with that Archon demandin' his cut. then there's the bounties and bounty hunters like
    you can't even claim some booty floating in space without someone giving you a bounty.
    still i wouldn't swap it for nothing, Archon is expanding you know more black markets an all that
    might be a golden era.

12 - psykokow - Insider
    “yes yes, I’m sure this is the place” the guide smiled as the ships dropped out of supercruise into a small debri field.
    Carcasses of old vessels silently danced around them.
    “And you are certain this is a supply of painite?”
    “YES…” she smiled.
    A cluster of canisters registered on the ship scanner…
    “You genius.” The Captain smiled “you’re worth every penny”
    He gave the order and both ships set about scooping up the cargo..
    They were very focused.
    Quiet communications beep and clicking sounds came from the guides clothing, her eyes blinked with vertical eyelids and she clicked back.

13 - Ian Phillips - A greater purpose
    I'm a spaceship pilot. I travel the stars and go where I want, when I want, provided there's a profit of course.

Independance is my grail, my lifeblood, my lover. It is the most precious thing I work for. All the money and mind numbing hauling of trade goods back and forth to earn a profit. All the fights to protect my cargo and my life are for just one purpose. To keep my freedom.

But now Powers rise throughout the core and their followers sell you protection.

"Join our cause and you will be safe here"

Stuff your allegiance.

14 - MrMogadon - Why this Place called Lefty's? - Now There's a funny story
    It was in this bar, I first met Archon Delaine. A true gent. A real character.

Just starting out. Stood just here asking for men to fight for him.

Being 13 and fanciful in the head, it sounded so romantic that I shouts out my unwavering allegiance and support in battle.

Everybody laughs. But not Delaine.

“Are ye sure?” quoth he.

“Damn sure” shouted I.

Then he grabs me and, this shows he likes a joke, hacks at my wrist with his sword.

O how we laughed about this afterwards.

My own fault for promising him my strong right hand.

15 - azdour - A belief beyond sanity
    The heat grew more intense, the cockpit a space sauna.

But I had total belief in my ships ability to protect me no matter what. We had been through worse and survived...

And the audacity of the pirate that damaged her pained me. They were not going to get away.

As my ship acquired weapons lock, a flare reached out, snatching my right for vengeance from me.

I turned the ship towards my new target. Weapons ready.

I opened fire on the star.

Only one of us would walk away from this fight. And it was going to be me...

16 - Clef_Hanger - Soapbox Allegiance (The fairground campaign)
    "Roll up, roll up, chance your luck.
    Who will you support?
    The politician's whispered words?
    The pirate gun's report?"

"Vote for me and you will see
    The future we will bring.
    Come the hour, give me the power.
    I'll promise anything."

"If you agree then stand with me
    No fickle promise giver.
    I lie and thieve, take what I need.
    I stand and you deliver"

"I dictate what happens here!
    I'll tell you what is right!
    I'll tell you what to do and think,
    I'll tell you when to fight!"

The old man sighed, turned his back
    "More bloody megalomaniacs"

After hearing Simoof's reading of my drabble, I would like to point out that only the strict swear filter and harsh punishments for breaking said filter are stopping me from saying what I really think.

You are utter, utter reallybadwordthatwouldgetmepermabannedandaddedtoaFBIwatchlist. Especially those that encouraged him.

DocStones actual drabble:

I just don't get some folks. This whole sector’s called “The Bummers” for a reason. No life giving stars, no fancy stations; Just rocks, ice and dog ging. Won’t find any blue balls out here.

Still head out though, Looking for that of a lifetime, that one belt that will make you itch. Imperial, Alliance, Feds. Sell up all you have to finance it too. Even bring your families.
    Bloody fools, all of you.

Ain’t no allegiances out here, ain’t no law neither. You're either a giver, or a taker.

And seein’ as I’m the one holding the willy, well...

Originally Posted by DocStone View Post (Source)
    After hearing Simoof's reading of my drabble, I would like to point out that only the strict swear filter and harsh punishments for breaking said filter are stopping me from saying what I really think.
    Look at your votes!!! Did you not like the special effects? I was up all night.

Originally Posted by DocStone View Post (Source)

You are utter, utter reallybadwordthatwouldgetmepermabannedandaddedtoaFBIwatchlist. Especially those that encouraged him.
    I completely and utterly agree with you. What he did to your Drabble was unforgivable. He took your sweet innocent Drabble and he deflowered it in front of the nasty jeering rabble.

Mind you. You're leading the polls at the minute. But then what price is honesty, decency, integrity, and above all, dignity? Surely more worth than a few votes and a better chance of winning an imaginary crown.

Simoof, could you do mine next week?

Wait, what, I'm winning?

Erm, A masterful reading sir, just masterful.

Lol bunch of nut jobs I say!!

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Lol bunch of nut jobs I say!!
    Are you guys talking about my peanuts again?

Originally Posted by Edith_The_Hutt View Post (Source)
    Are you guys talking about my peanuts again?
    But peanuts aren't nuts, they are legumes

Still time to vote, you could resolve the current two way split or you could even vote for mine. It's allowed you know, it's not as if Michael Brookes will hunt down your ship with a fleet of FD FDLs and make you hostile to every faction.

It's too late. But it is two well-deserved wins. Well done to Doc Stone and Clef Hanger. We had to stretch the imaginary toilet paper crown a bit to get it on Edith's head so you could both wear it at the same time if you stand close enough together.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    It's too late. But it is two well-deserved wins. Well done to Doc Stone and Clef Hanger. We had to stretch the imaginary toilet paper crown a bit to get it on Edith's head so you could both wear it at the same time if you stand close enough together.
    This was not supposed to happen...
    <br>

Thanks Frank
    I missed your pun this week and, I must sadly admit, I didn't vote for you. Sorry

And congrats Doc, I haven't got a clue about a subject yet, maybe tomorrow? PM me.

I also can't believe only one other person voted for Insanephoton
    I thought his was brilliant

Ah well, I'm off to dream about fanfares and coronations......Oh no!
    Now I've got Zadok the bloody Priest stuck in my head

Good night all
    “To play without passion is inexcusable!”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Damn, now everyone will demand simoof reads theirs

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh priests!! Great theme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast