Page 1 of 118 1235 Last

Thread: Fast Ranking

Fast Ranking

I hesitate to post this since it will likely initiate a "fix", but... Here we go.

There's been some discussion of ranking being bugged. I believe it isn't; it just takes a lot of completed missions. All the guides that talk about jumping between systems and acquiring reputation are a bunch of nonsense (in my humble-as-always opinion). It's just a completed mission count per rank.

Want to be Admiral? Go to "Tun", or "Exbeur" if you have the permit. Those systems generate only charity missions. Take as many "donation" missions as you can in parallel - don't bother with any "fetch medicine / food / whatever" missions - you don't want to leave the station, ever (until you get a rank mission).

Obviously only take missions for Federation minor factions - ignore missions for independents.

If you switch between Solo and Open mode, you'll often get a refresh of the mission board, speeding things up considerably. Do so every time you run out of donation missions.

Expect to complete at least 200 missions for each of the highest ranks.

Ignore reputation and influence; they're irrelevant to ranking.

Donations are usually about 10K each; you'll spend about 2M or so (total) for each of the highest ranks.

For the Empire, this used to work with the "Clota" system - and still does to some extent, but there's only one Empire minor faction there which makes it a bit slower. There's probably a system out there much like "Tun", I just haven't found it - but I haven't been looking, either.

There.

UPDATE:

It seems Tamar is the new Clota, with a number of Empire minor factions who desperately want your money. Other possible systems noted in this thread.

Originally Posted by The Booty Peddler View Post (Source)
    Adding my data to the thread (we really should compile all of this somewhere). Kept track of money spent doing charity missions in Tamar going from Freshly ranked Viscount to Count. I spent a little over 2.5million credits before the ascension mission popped up, and with an average 8000 to 10000 credits per missions, that would be about 250 to 315 missions turned in. For rank 10 out of 14... I REALLY hope this is in some way bugged. I don't wanna know what someone has to do to get King.
    Originally Posted by jacozilla View Post (Source)
    Got Baron - and my experience thus far is my mission numbers haven't been logarithmic at all - just a slight increase. Doing almost all regular faction missions - smuggling mostly or carry cargo (with a few non faction missions for large credit missions):

Squire to Knight: 64 missions
    Knight to Lord: 125 missions (10 non faction)
    Lord to Baron: 133 missions (12 non faction)

Based on this progression, I would expect my next rank to be ~140 missions
    Maybe 2-3 days of solid play, but I now plan to take it pretty easy, all I really wanted was Baron to qualify for Clipper purchase. Yay.
    Originally Posted by Muetdhiver View Post (Source)
    Tamar is a great system as one can not only get the charity missions in large quantities, but also courier missions from one station to an other in the
    same system. You can easily pick 10-15 of them while doing/refreshing charity ones then just complete the batch of courrier missions. Got from knight to Baron in 2.5 hours.
    Originally Posted by Kira Mikamy View Post (Source)
    in Aymifa system, 45Ly from Tamar, there's a lot of charity mission and 3 empire factions
    Originally Posted by Tuub t Tute View Post (Source)
    I had completed the proverbial "a lot" of random missions, mainly courier, cargo and occasional combat in various locations like Sol and PLX 695. When I got to Tun I completed 55 all donations and got the ascension missions coming up, some were not available due to not being Elite or Surveyor or whatever. After a couple of rotations I got one I could complete (cargo).
    Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post (Source)
    Oh yeah, I maxed out Aymifa and Tamar rep. and I got a lot of exploration data, since I like the anime princess I went to her headquarters to sell those there. Apparently Cubeo is also a donation system. There's only 2 empire faction here but if you don't want to "waste" your rep. you can head here after you max out those 2 systems.

Confirmed Systems Summary:
    Federation:
    Tun: 3 faction
    Exbeur: 3 faction

Empire:
    Tamar: 3 faction
    Aymifa: 3 faction
    Cubeo : 2 faction
    Wonomi : 2 faction
    HR 1064 : 2 faction
    Clota : 1 faction
    I made all promotions up to squire on same day, so for me at least, multiple ascension opportunities on same day was possible.

but after squire to knight, and knight to lord, and lord to baron - obviously the mission numbers were large enough i couldnt possibly do them all in one day (did regular missions mostly, very few charity).

took a day for knight, 2 days for lord, and 2.5 days for baron
    Originally Posted by Cmdr_Halfmead View Post (Source)
    Ok, just received my 'Naval Ascension missions', Going from Count to Earl.

Missions completed:
    Credits Spent : 1.860.622

Off to buy the stuff for rank up

P.S: what a grind lol
    Originally Posted by indutny View Post (Source)
    One more update from me:

100 to Knight
    150 to Lord
    192 to Baron (was mixing up donations with food supply missions)
    Originally Posted by idahosurge View Post (Source)
    I used this to get from Serf to Knight in the Empire and from Ensign to Lieutenant in the Federation.

Since going from Master to Squire and Squire to Knight were the only rank progressions using the charity donation method only I will only post the results for these.
    Master > Squire 627,627 CR and 65 charity donation missions.
    Squire > Knight 880,669 CR and 100 charity donation missions.
    Originally Posted by Tad Lynch View Post (Source)
    Just found Liabeze with 4 Empire Factions and only Donation Missions.
    Originally Posted by Carro View Post (Source)
    Made it to Vice Admiral.

492 charity missions + 19 paying missions = 511 missions total.

Right, that's it for me. I'm not going for Admiral unless there's a good reason to - i.e. it's a requirement to get the Federal Corvette, or something like that.

Oh, and when I hit the magic number, about 8 naval ascension missions popped up at the same time so I got to choose the most appropriate one - fetch 20 tons of Biowaste. ;-)
    Originally Posted by Aeternitas View Post (Source)
    Unless otherwise noted, every mission were charity missions. Ascension missions were not counted towards the next rank progression for obvious reasons (most Federal ones were Assassination missions while the Imperial Ascension missions were mostly trade and a two courier missions). Note that for the Imperial rank progression, I've stocked up on the more expensive charity missions (Performance Enhancers, Progenitor Cells, Non-lethal Weapons, and Reactive Armour), which often asks for them in hefty quantities. Not sure if these missions give more XP than the cheaper food missions or not.

1M = 100,000 CR
    1MM = 1,000,000 CR

Federation

Ensign to Lieutenant
    223 Missions (Some early missions were assassination missions)

Lt. Commander to Post Commander
    261 Missions
    2.61MM CR

Post Commander to Post Captain
    344 Missions
    2.78MM CR

Post Captain to Rear Admiral
    415 Missions
    4MM CR

Rear Admiral to Vice Admiral
    502 Missions
    4.7MM CR

Vice Admiral to Admiral
    552 Missions
    4.2MM CR

Empire

Outsider to Serf
    16 Missions
    153M CR

Serf to Master
    52 Missions
    320M CR

Master to Squire
    46 Missions
    313.7M CR

Squire to Knight
    88 Missions
    498M CR

Knight to Lord
    96 Missions
    1.55MM CR*

Lord to Baron
    129 Missions
    813M CR

Total Missions to Baron: 472

Baron to Viscount
    173 Missions
    1.58MM CR

Viscount to Count
    282 Missions
    1.94MM CR

Count to Earl
    218 Missions
    3.36MM CR*

Earl to Marquis
    259 Missions
    2.29MM CR

Marquis to Duke
    277 Missions
    3.89MM CR*

Duke to Prince
    345 Missions
    4.41MM CR

Prince to King
    464 Missions
    4.47MM CR

* Cargo was restocked close to Ascension Mission and the remainder was used towards the next rank progression.
    Originally Posted by Flector View Post (Source)
    Over the past week I have been working on the last promotion from Vice Admiral to Admiral.
    I decided to do many regular missions for federal factions. I wanted to compare this with the complete focus on donation missions that most have done. Here are my results:

39 kill pirates missions
    34 smuggling missions
    21 assassination missions
    1 abandoned assassination mission
    4 trading missions
    527 donation missions
    (625 total missions completed, 1 mission abandoned)

Remarks:
    Apart from the 21 succesful assassinations I also took one assassination mission which I had to abandon because the target was clean and from a federal faction. This most likely cost me some progress but it is unknown how much.

Conclusion:
    Don't bother with regular missions. Donation missions are faster and more reliable.
    I really have to link to this thread by Kobune, more excellent info:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=165258

Thanks for the Tip In Stupid nonsense Reputation Decay Times is good to know such Tricks

After following Samosa's advice from his previous thread I can vouch that this works like a charm and have finally got to Baron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7OM_Q810k

Rep to you sir

Tamar is another gold mine system and also helps you get rep with the summerland permit faction

Handy info to know, thanks

Will add to this as I have spoken to Samosa about this several times. Yes it does work and yes ranks are working. However since the "fix" to rank progression missions the thresholds for each rank have been raised SUBSTANTIALLY, you can use this method for guaranteed succession up the ranks but be prepared to spend a LOT of money and time to do so. It could well be, although totally unconfirmed, that other "high risk" mission types actually add to your progression faster than donations, but that is just my own personal theory. Just as a form of note on the subject I spent well over 3 and a half hours of solid donation time and the best part of 4 million credits to go from Lieutenant to Lieutenant-Commander.

I doubt this will be fixed as such, it's now no different to fast-tracking your Powerplay commodities and costs a small fortune in donation and very sore fingers from clicking lol.

Anyway can't rep you yet again Samosa apparently but +1 for the proof that the system both works and is a lot more simplistic than we ever initially thought it was

Thanks for this info!

I have just started my Imperial ranking missions, and I find it so horrendously boring.

I will try this method and hopefully I can just buy my way up instead of having to track down black boxes and cart fruits and vegtables back and forth....

Any estimates on cost from Outsider to Baron?

sadly... Not working for me.
    Blue bar stuck like always. No matter the number of missions i did.

How does one get permits for Tun and Exbeur?

Originally Posted by Wendiga View Post (Source)
    sadly... Not working for me.
    Blue bar stuck like always. No matter the number of missions i did.
    Sorry it's not working for you. I believe the blue bar (or blue / red arrows) to have nothing to do with rank, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by EddyRockSteady View Post (Source)
    How does one get permits for Tun and Exbeur?
    I forget the rank needed for Exbeur, but you don't need a permit for Tun.

Originally Posted by Samosa View Post (Source)
    Sorry it's not working for you. I believe the blue bar (or blue / red arrows) to have nothing to do with rank, though.

- - - Updated - - -

I forget the rank needed for Exbeur, but you don't need a permit for Tun.
    Yeah they don't mean anything other than reputation or influence, neither of which count towards rank as Samosa said. You need to do LOADS of them to rank up now, if you believe it is actually bugged contact support and they will tell you at which % you are towards your next rank.

Exueber is Lieutenant. Tun I have no idea, but it should be Midshipman or below (if its even permit locked?)

Originally Posted by Cliffson View Post (Source)
    Tamar is another gold mine system and also helps you get rep with the summerland permit faction
    Is Tamar another only charity missions system like Clota? If so, it's be a good one - lots of Empire minor factions!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by tetra View Post (Source)
    Yeah they don't mean anything other than reputation or influence, neither of which count towards rank as Samosa said. You need to do LOADS of them to rank up now, if you believe it is actually bugged contact support and they will tell you at which % you are towards your next rank.

Exueber is Lieutenant. Tun I have no idea, but it should be Midshipman or below (if its even permit locked?)
    Tetra makes a great point that I think I've understated - it takes a lot more missions than one would think between each rank. Definitely in the hundreds at the higher ranks. Still lots and lots at the lower ranks.

Aymifa is also one of those systems that only generates charity missions, and i have been based there for weeks.
    and every time i dock i do 4-5 of them, still i have been stuck on "lord" since the 1.3 release.

im still not convinced its bugged, i like to have some more empirical evidence. but if im still stuck at lord in a month then im probably gonna call it bugged to.

Originally Posted by Araviel View Post (Source)
    Aymifa is also one of those systems that only generates charity missions, and i have been based there for weeks.
    and every time i dock i do 4-5 of them, still i have been stuck on "lord" since the 1.3 release.

im still not convinced its bugged, i like to have some more empirical evidence. but if im still stuck at lord in a month then im probably gonna call it bugged to.
    Good info, thank you.

When I was doing the ranking, I was taking ~5 missions at a time every few minutes for hours at a time. Really, it takes a lot of them.

Originally Posted by Cliffson View Post (Source)
    After following Samosa's advice from his previous thread I can vouch that this works like a charm and have finally got to Baron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7OM_Q810k

Rep to you sir

Maybe you already answered but kind of ignorant of lot of geography, still new.

Which world did you use for the empire ranking? Was that the Tamar you mentioned? I am chasing Baron myself to buy imperial clipper.

p.s. watched the video - its um, an art exhibit video link?

Maybe you already answered but kind of ignorant of lot of geography, still new.

Which world did you use for the empire ranking? Was that the Tamar you mentioned? I am chasing Baron myself to buy imperial clipper.
    I used Clota, but I really thought it used to have more Empire minor factions than the one it currently has. If Tamar functions similarly and has more Empire minor factions, then that'd probably be a better bet!

Page 1 of 118 1235 Last