View Poll Results: What are your favorite names for the website?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • EDCodex. Elite Dangerous Codex

23 36.51%
  • EDCollection. Elite Dangerous Collection

7 11.11%
  • EDLibrary. Elite Dangerous Library

9 14.29%
  • EDA. Elite Dangerous App

2 3.17%
  • EDIC. Elite Dangerous Information Codex

5 7.94%
  • EDIC. Elite Dangerous Information Collection

1 1.59%
  • EDIR. Elite Dangerous Information Repository

7 11.11%
  • EDMCP. Elite Dangerous Master Control Program

1 1.59%
  • EDTB. Elite Dangerous Tool Box

16 25.40%
  • EDTC. Elite Dangerous Tools Collection

9 14.29%
  • EDTC. Elite Dangerous Tools Codex

2 3.17%
  • EDTL. Elite Dangerous Tools Library

10 15.87%
  • EDTT. Elite Dangerous Tool Time

2 3.17%
  • UEDRR. Ultimate Elite Dangerous Resource Repository

10 15.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL. Third party tools thread - upcoming website version - looking for a good name.

POLL. Third party tools thread - upcoming website version - looking for a good name.

In the beginning there was the thread: "Complete list of all third party tools, spreadsheets, manuals and other data sources".
    In the end there will be the website version of it: ED3PTT (codename) which stands for "ED 3rd Party Tools Thread"

The OP thread became so large that I started to experience technical difficulties like leaking spoiler tags. Some tools belong to multiple categories and keeping everything in sync became a major PITA. I made a request for help and commander biobob kindly offered to create a website version of the thread.

Basically ANYONE can add ANY information to ED3PTT. You have to be logged in for that. If you like a tool, have seen an interesting thread or video you can add it. Everything is allowed unless it is SPAM. Authors whose tool tool/thread/video is/are already in ED3PTT can "claim it" and become the owner of it. As a matter of fact before release authors will receive an invitation so they can edit and enhance their entries. We have three major categories tools, threads and videos. In it are subcategories like trading, logbook, OCR, EDDN. Atm there are 82 tools, 61 threads and 2 videos in ED3PTT.

The source code of ED3PTT will be made open source. The data (entries) of ED3PTT will be available for everything in the form of API. RSS feeds for new, updated entries and news exist. The website will be smartphone/tablet friendly. Almost forgot, its also optimized for SEO so that the entries can be easily found with search engines like Google.

Work on ED3PTT started in April or so but RL made sure we didn't progress as fast as we wanted and were ninja-ed by FD's community website for ED. Now we are nearing completion. Biobob has performed miracles with the site. As everything with regard to ED3PTT will be open Biobob and myself thought it would appropriate/fitting to ask the community (for which we are building it) to help us decide on a good, fitting, catchy name.

A while back I created the thread "(WIP) Tool codenamed ED3PTT is looking for a better name. Any Suggestions?" to ask for a good name. I added most of them to the poll. You can enter up to three choices. Let yourself be heart.

Note: If you have a suggestion for a name which is not in the poll, feel free to add it here. Perhaps there is a brilliant name we have overlooked so far ;-)

Variants with a - sign are possible. Example EDTC or ED-TC. The domain names have been checked by biobob. In fact for some a minus sign is (almost) required.

You can select up to three choices in the poll.

Update: If you have any questions about the website feel free to ask them here ;-)

So far the thread got 144 views and 18 commanders voted. Hence 6.5 % have voted. Please DO vote so biobob and myself get a good picture of what the community thinks is a good name. Also feel free to add your own suggestions. Its very much appreciated.

Again: You can select up to three choices in the poll.

I think 144 views it's also unregistered users
    and also it's summer holidays => less people online
    CMDR Biobob - ED Pilot License - Elite Galactic Wiki
    Explorer, Mercenary, Bounty Hunter
    EDCodex.info: 110+ Tools --- 80+ Threads / Guides --- 20+ Community / Videos

Originally Posted by Biobob View Post (Source)
    I think 144 views it's also unregistered users
    and also it's summer holidays => less people online
    Totally forgot that you don't have to be registered to read the forums ;-)

Biobob and myself want to conclude the poll this weekend.
    Afterwards the domain name will be bought.
    if you want your vote to please do it now!!

I like this idea, and voted for Codex for the name (the first option).
    I hope you're going to moderate the content on the site. Wikipedia for example, anyone can edit it, but people check it and will re-edit it back if necessary or the new info isn't accurate or have a source.
    Allowing anyone to add to the site is one thing, but that can be a double-edged sword.
    "I do not think clams stop rusting" - Google Translate Sings Bohemian Rhapsody

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    I like this idea, and voted for Codex for the name (the first option).
    I hope you're going to moderate the content on the site. Wikipedia for example, anyone can edit it, but people check it and will re-edit it back if necessary or the new info isn't accurate or have a source.
    Allowing anyone to add to the site is one thing, but that can be a double-edged sword.
    Indeed EDCodex seems to be quit popular. At the end of the poll biobob and myself will say what our preferences were ;-)

For adding/updating one has to be logged in - and first register themselves in ED3PTT. Any one can then ADD an entry and later edit that entry. Logged in commanders can ONLY edit their own entries. Initially new entries would be moderated. As in become disabled/hidden by default unless an admin/moderator checks the entry and enables it. As in makes it visible on ED3PTT. The infrastructure for it is in place. We decided to begin by TRUSTING commanders and allow any one to add entries. If this doesn't work out that way it can simply be changed. Also the admin tools show us exactly what entries have been added and have been updates. Makes it easy to keep track of things.

Biobob wrote an importer for the entries in my tools thread - which were edited afterwards. We also created quite a few new entries. Nobody can edit them - unless admin/moderator. With the "I claim this entry" an author gets the ownership of an entry. If an author is to busy he can delegate editing to other commanders - his responsibility. Also all changes are saved so that there is a complete history of what an author has done with an entry - a bit wiki history like. Its our hope that commanders use the freedom we are giving them and use it wisely. If not moderation can take place, entries can be reclaimed by admins/moderators, can be deleted (archived and invisible) and as a last resort, accounts can be (temp) blocked. Of course admins/moderators can at any time edit any submitted entries to correct them.

Update: The admin team is currently biobob and myself. We can add trusted moderators in the future (should ED3PTT really take of) to keep track of the site.

Originally Posted by True Phoenix View Post (Source)
    EDigital
    Thanks for the suggestion. Curious what others think about that title

Keep 'm coming commanders AND please keep voting as well.

Almost "LAST CALL". If you want to vote, NOW is the time.
    Tomorrow afternoon we probably make the decision and buy the domain name.

LAST CALL commanders. Today the choice will be made.

Bump, and I'm partial to the last one "Ultimate Elite Dangerous Resource Repository"
    "Clear me for docking. Put away the breakables. Turn on the landing lights. I'm coming in."
    Galen - "The Memory of War" - Space above and Beyond

I built this for Elite: Dangerous
    i7-4770 3.4GHz with 16GB (DDR3-1866) ♦ Asus Maximus VI Hero MB ♦ Asus GeForce GTX770 2GB ♦ Samsung 512GB SSD ♦ Asus 24.1" Monitor ♦ CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle & Prop Pedals ♦ Koss SB45 Headset ♦ WIN 8.1 (64 Bit)

Dear commanders, you have voted, we have listened.
    The chosen name for the website is: edcodex
    The domain already has been bought.
    Note: edcodex was also the favorite name of both biobob and myself ;-)

I want to thank each and everyone who has taken the time to vote and/or posted here in this thread. Very much appreciated. There is NO ETA for the website - somehow I dislike the word soon.... We have progressed quit far though. Quit a lot tools,threads,videos (entries: 83,62,2) are now in edcodex.

As stated earlier, before release the authors of entries in edcodex will receive a PM, have an activated account and will be able to edit/enhance their entry or entries in edcodex. Should certain fields which they deem necessary be missing it can be corrected. They can if they like also function as our last and final round of beta testers. We already have a few commanders who have entered entries and provided very useful feedback (highly appreciated commanders). When edcodex goes live I will create a new thread for it. I will keep you up to date about the progress in my third party tools thread.

Note: I'm going to ask the moderators to close this thread.

Re-opened at OP's request.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast