View Poll Results: Which of these three Drabbles deserve you merits?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Erik Marcaigh - Tales From the Thargoid & Fer-de-Lance

3 12.00%
  • 02 - Frank - Old Habits Die Hard

9 36.00%
  • 03 - Alien - My Power (Slam) Is Best

1 4.00%
  • 04 - rootsrat - Who’s got the Power?

3 12.00%
  • 05 - STRONTIUM DOG - the young ones in the 33 century

5 20.00%
  • 06 - Splendour - Power within reach

5 20.00%
  • 07 - MrMogadon - Stationery Dwarves Warning

2 8.00%
  • 08 - azdour - A single power that stands the test of time

5 20.00%
  • 09 - Galactic Midden - Sloopid Mugglers

1 4.00%
  • 10 - Listeri69 - A Sticky End?

2 8.00%
  • 11 - Missileman - The Power of the Rain

8 32.00%
  • 12 - Simoof - The Power of the Eternian Prince.

2 8.00%
  • 13 - Phoenix_Dfire - The Best Power

4 16.00%
  • 14 - psykokow - Dead Rising

1 4.00%
  • 15 - insanephoton - Ode to the powers

8 32.00%
  • 16 - Edith_The_Hutt - Manifesto

8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest #109: My Power is Best

Drabble Contest #109: My Power is Best

Welcome to the 109th Drabble contest. We have for you 16 candidates awaiting your votes; each with 100 words of persuasion.

Congratulations to the winner of last week's Drabble Contest, Alesgriff79. That was a marvellous debut. She came up with this weeks topic, "My Power is Best".

Above me is a bunch of options in a poll. It's a multiple choice poll but please limit yourself to only three votes. The results of the poll will be announced on Monday morning. Not only will the winner receive a stylish imaginary toilet paper crown, they will win the honour of deciding next week's topic.

Voting is free to everybody. But here's a warning to the contestants. DON'T VOTE FOR YOURSELVES! Anyone caught voting for themselves will be glued into a seat at a political conference.

01 - Erik Marcaigh - Tales From the Thargoid & Fer-de-Lance
    Simon looked across the bar at the group listening to his tale.

"It was a grisly fate for the Commander turned Entrepreneur, Simoof."

"Tired of the short jump distances he was getting from his FdL, he started learning about the jump drives and how they worked. A bit lazy though, so he skipped a few classes, opting for binge drinking at the pub."

"He believed he got 6 extra lightyears in his drive."

"His last words were, 'My power is best!' Right before he flipped the switch and plasma scorched his skin off his bones. An' that's how Simoof died."

02 - Frank - Old Habits Die Hard
    Ted paid Sven for the drinks. He took the pints over to an alcove table where Mick was sitting reading a dataslate. Mick was annoyed, "The Federation originated from Earth, Western Civilisation. The other factions came from there too if they'd care to admit it. Back then they explored new continents, fought the natives and stripped them of their resources.

We've come to outer space, limitless resources but we've found it empty. There are no natives to fight. So what do we do?", He showed Ted the Galnet article displaying the top ten most powerful people, "We fight each other."

03 - Alien - My Power (Slam) Is Best
    The Thargoid and Fer-de-lance bar was hosting the Galactic Grappling Entertainment Championship match between Berk Loser and Soup Rollings.
    Both men had been fighting for six days now and it had come down to who could throw each other the best.
    Mycoid Coal, the commentator, was going apoplectic trying to hype the watching viewers.
    Berk threw Soup against the wall. Soup looked at Berk with evil eyes.
    Soup slammed Loser into a neat stack of 4Direction mugs that Foley had spent a week preventing people from smashing.
    Berk Loser didn't move, Soup Rollings had won.
    "My power slam was best".

04 - rootsrat - Who’s got the Power?
    Bhen “Batman” Baffleck pressed on the throttle and his Sidewinder sped up.

Chenry “Superman” Chavill smiled. He could see Batman chasing him. Superman’s Power was better than Batman’s, so he wasn’t worried at all. He’d win this final battle between them.

Two Sidewinders were closing distance, lasers at the ready. All of a sudden both of them slowed down and came to a stop.

“There’s no Power!” shouted Bhen and Chenry, unisono. Voice channel came to life in both ships:

“Because… I’ve got the Power!” sang Djurron “Turbo-B” Bhutler and disappeared with all the Power, never to be seen again...

05 - STRONTIUM DOG - the young ones in the 33 century
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pow
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pew ka boom
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pow
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pew ka boom
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pow
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pew ka boom
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pow
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pew ka boom
    pa pew pew pew pew
    pa pow pow pow
    pa pew pew pew
    even futuristic violence is boring these days

06 - Splendour - Power within reach
    Cards and stacks of cred chips laid all but forgotten as the Imperial pilots argument raged.

"Fourty four successful campaigns this year alone! How can your princess match that?"

"She doesn't need to shoot up some pathetic excuse for a navy to gain glory. Aisling has brought more wealth to the Empire then your Senator could dream of looti.."

A deafening boom silenced them. Cradling a smoking Meson carbine, a disreputable looking woman grinned. "Sorry to butt in, but I think you'll find my power is the best." She laughed and gestured two young ragamuffins forward to claim the stakes.

07 - MrMogadon - Stationery Dwarves Warning
    Senator Patreus left after debating in the Senate. A master debater, he felt good after beating off his many opponents.
    Approaching his car, he finds two of dwarves in conversation.
    “You’ve the best power”, said one dwarf.
    “Appreciated”, replied the stockier.
    “Begone you dimunitive dolts. I am the best power here” Patreus sneers.
    At this, the stocky dwarf, grabs Patreus and slams him against the car, slightly grazing the door. Dazed Patreus slumps to the ground.
    “You’re lousy power”, the dwarf replies, bringing out his hammer. Shouting “Pow!” he strikes the bonnet, knocking a hole in it. “My power’s better”

08 - azdour - A single power that stands the test of time
    Who do I follow and why? Good question.

Why is my one best? I'll let you judge that one.

Professional, quick and agile. We can react to events quicker than others.

Defectors will not be chased down. But you can never return, it's a one way door.

We are a power without borders.

But more significantly we'll never be defeated.

While the other powers WILL come and go, we will always exist in this galaxy.

So who do I follow?

No one other than me, knows what's best for me.

So I am a lone wolf. I cannot be tamed.

09 - Galactic Midden - Sloopid Mugglers
    Wee Kelly (terribly smelly) and Big Jim (rather dim) looked surprised as the pursuing security wing rammed the Alsation attack drone directly up their rear end.

"CRRUNNNCH! POP!" screamed the drive as teeth bit deep.

"Vas voz dat Kellee!? Dids I uze too zmuch vuel?" Jim throttled back in confusion.

Stifling a silent exclamation Kelly swore, "Zesty Zeemoof! No Jlim we've bleen bleached, evlade evlade!"

"Oh, sawwee I vleached your holdz errlieer, eez vas vellee smehwee yuno, Ize massiv dong vrong"

"No NO Jlim evlade! EVLADE! Use bloost, need bloost!"

"Ah vooooost! How zmuch?"

"Max Jlim, max bloost ees blezt!"

10 - Listeri69 - A Sticky End?
    Cmdr Aynal Loobe throttled hard, he'd been on the rear end of Docstone for some time now
    his ship the 'penetration' had more than enough power.
    Docstone swerved around a protruding asteroid sweating profusely as he avoided the penetration.
    Sooner or later he would have to admit his power was waning,
    it was only a matter of time before his rear end was beaten into a pulp smeared all over by Aynal Loobe and Penetration.
    Still he had one last trick up his sleeve and this was the time to play it
    Simoof Sharted.
    Aynal Loobe shuddered Santorum had won....

11 - Missileman - The Power of the Rain
    Lightning light up the skies with pounding acidic rain the sidewinder hidden in the long grass that populated 2/3rds of this hell hole of a planet
    Universal cartography might have classed this as 'Earth-Like' but that wasn't the opinion of the cmdr of the sidewinder.
    He'd come here like the others to find the Painite.
    Just pick it off the surface they said.
    Another flash of lightning filled the sky the rain slowly destroying his hull.
    So much for get rich quick he thought.
    My power will last another hour at best then the planet will claim another victim...

12 - Simoof - The Power of the Eternian Prince.
    The muscular trader, Adam, never left his cargo hold, prepared to boost out the letterbox in an instant. Rumours told he could out-run the stations defenses. A few scorch-marks led credence to these tales.
    He opened a crate allowing the collector to view. DocStone gasped.....
    Out his butt.
    Thargoidian Skulls, each one giving off an unique hue. Rumored to bring luck and power to the beholder, the brightest coloured ones always sold well.
    Little did people know the only one with powers was the dullest, the one hiding amongst the others. Only the trader knew the power of the Greyskull.

13 - Phoenix_Dfire - The Best Power
    This vulture pilot liked to talk. Mac hated pilots like these; shooting their mouths off, as well as their weapons.

‘You!’ he screeched. ‘In the pathetic Asp, I’m going to boil you for Patronus!’

Davie fired the laser turrets to keep the more manoeuvrable ship off the Sanctimonious’ tail.

‘We’re unaligned.’ replied Davie. ‘There’s no need.’

‘If you not with us, then you’re against the best power in the galaxy.’

Mac cut forward velocity and the vulture overshot.

‘Really?’ He snarled back. ‘I thought the best power in the galaxy comes from my beam lasers.’

Mac pulled the trigger.

Boom!

14 - psykokow - Dead Rising
    “That’s not a power!!” the room called. Psykokow sat down to a 51 can of air freshener salute.
    From the shadows at the back of the room, a door creaked open. Echoing footsteps clopped their sinister way towards them.
    A wolf whistled, thunder clacked and wind howls filled the room.
    In the distance a child’s crying could be heard, a small explosion snuffing it out.
    A crowd stirred, coughs reverberated around them.
    A large belch split the scene… a small child on a trike, wearing a red cap appeared from the shadow.
    She smirked “FANDABBYDOSI”,
    Frank Shreiked.. “cut the power!!”

15 - insanephoton - Ode to the powers
    Returning from galactic ranges
    I see that there have been some changes
    Ten factions seem to all attest
    'Join with me , my power's best'
    They offer modules unique and flawed
    that seem to offer scant reward,
    for weeks of low paid donkey graft,
    these powers must think the people daft
    A few idealist naïve dreamers
    contrast with all the outright schemers.
    'Pledge for me, I wear sharp suits'
    'No, pledge to me because I'm cute'
    Liars, cheats they're all alike
    Pity they don't take a hike
    Their constant bicker has me annoyed
    I think I'll head back to the void.

16 - Edith_The_Hutt - Manifesto
    Some will fight for a pretty face and a feeling of rightousness. Some will fight for a smug feeling of superiority and the thrill of their boot on someone else's neck. Some will fight for an idea or what they think is an idea. And some will fight because it's the only thing they know.

My followers? my followers fight because I pay more than anyone else. A full belly and a fat wallet are still the two greatest motivators known to mankind. My power is the best, and that is why I'm going to win.

- Senator Zemina Torval, 3301AD

Voted.

Next week I will be 'internet free', ie I'm going camping, so good luck to everyone.
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Well ... I guess I'm not winning this week either
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

NORMAL show tonight, I CAN'T Wait... really looking forward to it tonight!!!

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    NORMAL show tonight, I CAN'T Wait... really looking forward to it tonight!!!
    Sorry, but I have to give this response every time I see that word ... Define "normal"

EDIT: And if you want to ask me "Do you really have to give that response?" Yes, I do.
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

I'm travelling but I'm hoping to tune in via mobile. Just to help with keeping things "normal"

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

I will do my damnest to remember to stream to the lave radio audio stream for you middem, remember Lave Radio is now available on Tunein on iphone or android..

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    I will do my damnest to remember to stream to the lave radio audio stream for you middem, remember Lave Radio is now available on Tunein on iphone or android..
    Excellent. If there's any chance I can get on the laptop and wifi I will. Bon Chance! Mon ami monsieur tête pomme-de-terre

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Sorry, but I have to give this response every time I see that word ... Define "normal"

EDIT: And if you want to ask me "Do you really have to give that response?" Yes, I do.
    Have you asked it in a Geometry class? ;P

@Strontium Dog ... I hope I did your drabble justice

In honour of Kow Krankie and all drabblers everywhere I've posted a new recipe for forum consumption https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post2556992

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    @Strontium Dog ... I hope I did your drabble justice
    a brilliant rendition worthy of the binary systems award number 01 10

one one, was one binary star and
    two two, was one too
    one one flew straight past one day
    and two two flew past too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast