• 06 - Galseptic Midden - Hell Hath No Fury Like a Lover Scorned

4 25.00%
  • 07 - Ian Phillips - Showing the way

2 12.50%
  • 08 - Listeri69 - Contraction...

3 18.75%
  • 09 - Missileman - Sequestered fortunes

3 18.75%
  • 10 - W4rSkuLL - One does not simply jump into the system we don't mention anymore.

1 6.25%
  • 11 - Splendour - Bolthole

6 37.50%
  • 12 - cleonymus - Stationary Crimewave

1 6.25%
  • 13 - MrMogadon - No Loose Ends

6 37.50%
  • 14 - Erik Marcaigh - Fortune Lies in the Eye of the Beholder

2 12.50%
  • 15 - Clef_Hanger - The Auction

2 12.50%
  • 16 - insanephoton - Inheritance

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Contest #111 - Trinkets Of Hidden Fortune

Drabble Contest #111 - Trinkets Of Hidden Fortune

Well what do you know, it's Drabble Contest 111 this week!

Thanks to Missileman for superbly choosing this week's topic
    Thanks to Psykokow for hosting the galaxies most wonderful Abraka Drabble show every Friday from 7pm UK time at www.twitch.tv/psykokow
    And thanks to everyone else for making this little corner of insanity such a friendly place.

This Week's Theme
    "'TRINKETS OF HIDDEN FORTUNE'"

01 - Alien - Good Luck Reading This One, Psykokow

Alien was on the hunt for hidden trinkets of fortune.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogrychwyrndrobwllllanstyiliogogogoch might have had some, but the Welsh natives weren't saying.

Next Alien went to Svalbarósstrandarhreppur but it was too cold.

Bullaunancheathrairaluinn had nothing but souveniers.

In Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya they tried to eat Alien, a quick getaway was required.

Bovenendvankeelafsnysleegte was world renowned for its beef.

Did you ever wonder where the Ghostbusters went? I'll tell you, they went to Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta, but there was no hidden trinkets of fortune there.

All there was at Taumatawhakatangilhangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu was a sign with the place name on it and all Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg had was water.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02 - Frank - Modern Legend

He held up a tattered box, "This is a copy of Star Ace"

"From Transistorised Paintings? That must be worth a mint! The head of the corporation, Awatta Gnawb, what did he say again? 'Just ship the damn thing!'? That phrase got him fired."

"All that corporation's executives got sacked and replaced with computers. The computers bankrupted the corporation because they showed too much compassion towards their employees and customers.

I found this copy at Slough."

"So the legend's true? They did actually bury the unsold copies at Slough? There must be billions of credits worth entombed in that tip."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03 - STRONTIUM DOG - BOUNTY OF 800cr AWARDED

" think I have something your gona pay a pretty penny for"

"what another worthless shipment of gravatationaly spoilt super conducting wafers for me to loose out on,nope id rather take your bounty now and destroy whats left of that rust bucket you call a ship"
    if you do that you will never know how much you have thrown away"

"i have scanned you, toxic waste hauler now?"
    "WAIT! not just toxic waste its a map"

"no more TRINKETS OF HIDDEN FORTUNE!" PEW-------------------

"it is an alien artefact with twelve pods representing the twelve constillations of the zodi-

PEW------------ KABOOM!

04 - Simoof - Let the pun begin...

I sat in George Lucas on bay 16. w t f was going on in the bay ahead.
    Dogs barked and woke me from dream, Suddenly... nothing happened.
    Startled, the tree scurried to horizons. My spine tingled. I had a foreboding sense of cheese.
    The words melted, shrank and instantly I could smell the number 7.
    Suddenly, nope nothing again...
    Remembered:
    Goddam ancient printer... epsons inks did indeed become psykowtropic after a few millenia..
    I was at that Galseptic blokes karaoke competition. He was trying to off load some ancient tech by disguising it as a prize:
    Inkjets of Midden for tune.

05 - (I can't even) Poach An Egg Now - Remains

The coroner examined the sample carefully under his microscope.
    “So this is all the biological matter you could find on the burned out Sidewinder?”
    “Yes, is it enough to identify the victim?”
    “Well, I’m awaiting the genetic and pathogenic results, however it was clearly an extremely unpleasant death” The doctor lifted the flap of skin and shook it, green liquid dripped onto his desk.
    “See this level of infection is particularly unusual, it was left unwashed for a very long time”
    The system beeped infront of him and the results showed.
    “Tommy? It’s a shrunk bit of his Ridden foreskin”

06 - Galseptic Midden - Hell Hath No Fury Like a Lover Scorned

Jork, banging his tankard boomed "t'is the find of a lifetime boys!". With flamboyant flourish the privateer and recent finder of a hidden den of rubberised novelties flicked on system-wide comms and bellowed.

"I'm the grand new Duke of Jorkstown,
    I have fourteen strong men,
    We wench, we pillage, we drink all day,
    Then we do it all again"

"Everybody!"

"You're the grand new Duke of Jorkstown,
    We are your 14 men,
    We've drank all day, now we'll fondly play..."
    ----------
    Sadly, no-one noticed the Anaconda's perfectly timed missile.

Its captain, the spurned simpleton Moofsey snarled, "and were never seen again..."

07 - Ian Phillips - Showing the way

She slammed backwards into the bulkhead, blackness gathering at the edges of her vision as her head burst with pain. Hands fastened onto her arms, holding her pinned against the wall. Another pair of hands rested on her shoulders and caressed her neck.

She raised her eyes to peer through the pain at her tormentors face. It leered, yellowed teeth filling her view as hands stroked her cheek, then her neck again.

Fingers twisted her golden necklace chain around and with a sudden jerk broke it free.

The pirate held the pendant up. "A Trinket of Hidden Fortune..... a map"?

08 - Listeri69 - Contraction...

'Contagious? yes I suppose it would take a while' Dr Moon looked at Simoof's body, 'Still doesn't explain how he died though.'
    'Well he was flying through the Di-Jezztiv system' Psykokow started ' when he saw a shiny thing so he drops out of super-cruise, and there's this ship, so he boards it like, well there was some sort of contaminate'
    'there was someone alive??'
    'no contaminate like a plague, well it turns out it was all over the cargo he picked up'
    'Contraband?'
    'no he likes singing solo, anyway we found him playing with them'
    Train-kits of Ridden Spores, Moon....

09 - Missileman - Sequestered fortunes

An aurora shimmered in the planets thin atmosphere.
    The colours dancing across the sky, beautiful, if it hadn't been for the cold, wet wind that chilled the crew to the bone.
    After scanning this planet, a pirate broadcast a message 'my planet, my treasure'
    they had evaded him by flying their Python through the forest in to the clearing which they now huddled, cold hungry but alive.
    They could see the pirate searching for them, flying close overhead.
    It took one well aimed shot from the lasers to bring him and his trinkets down. we had good fortune this time...

10 - W4rSkuLL - One does not simply jump into the system we dont mention anymore.

Keep your enemies close, they say. Pirate lord Vulvy stared at the package in front of him, "Trinkets of fortune" it spelled.
    It came from lord Dick in the system which he didn´t mention anymore. The deliverer of the boxes head was hanging from the ceiling. It was going to be shrunk.
    He opened the box, inside was two shiny diamond rings, quite large. Dick new that Vulvy loved big shiny things. And Vulvy put them on,
    entered his Python and jumped to the system he didn´t mention anymore. A click and a spool up, and Vulvy popped like bacon.

11 - Splendour - Bolthole

The sounds of destruction from the hold had died down, and then came the clatter of magboots much closer. It sounded like all five of the pirates were back in the Cobra's cockpit.

"He can't just have vanished!" yelled an exasperated Frank. "We're in a sealed spacecraft with ten lightyears of vacuum between us and the closest station! Four million credits of natural sapphires and you imbeciles let him switch them with these trinkets?"

Frank flung the cheap plastic replicas at the floor of the cockpit. Commander Fortune tried not to breath as the panel inches above his face reverberated.

12 - cleonymus - Stationary Crimewave

News of a possible burglary by Thargoid's had caused the station commander to undertake the investigation personally.

The thefts of the leather equestrian equipment from four of the seedier areas of Slough station had eventually led him to toon town.

Here he found the residents were already running around in panic. Some of their most famous residents had vanished in the night.

Eeyore, Bagheera, Simba and Donkey were all missing.

Cleonymus scratched his many chins as he considered the thefts and the disappearance of the four legged cartoon characters.

Finally he smiled and said “think it's off riding four toons!”.

13 - MrMogadon - No Loose Ends

“Do you have it Captain? Tell me!”, Patron Cerebelus screeched, his enormous bulk quivering.

“Yes Patron, amongst the new arrivals as predicted”, the Captain's reported, signalling his men.

A young woman was brought forward.

“Perfect, perfect.” he slobbered, reaching for her. She recoiled at his approach.

“Calm yourself, my dear. I only want your bracelet; the one with the embedded data chip; the one you unwittingly smuggled here for me” he teased, unclipping and examining her bracelet. “Excellent. An emperor's ransom. You may depart.”

She had barely registered her relief before the Captain broke her neck.

“Neat as always Captain”

14 - Erik Marcaigh - Fortune Lies in the Eye of the Beholder

"Go ahead! Push the button again, Doc!"

"This is immoral. The man isn't a man anymore. He's been reduced to a blithering ball of slop and drool. I won't do it again!"

Erik gave DocStone a hard glare, leveling a pistol at his head. "You'd best do it, or you'll find yourself being reanimated over and over as well."

Shaking, DocStone pushed the button which brought Simoof back to life.

"Aye, whut now," slobbered the fellow.

Erik handed Simoof some candies, which he greedily gulped down. Spasms shook his body minutes later as the nanobots chewed away at his internals.

15 - Clef_Hanger - The Auction

Lot No.20361 "Assortment of baubles and trinkets" no reserve.

It was the standard one unit cargo container. Standard, that is, if it was a hundred and fifty years ago.

And then there was the hallmark on the side. Not easy to spot, but if you knew what to look for..........slightly damaged.

The story of the luxury anaconda was legend.

Disappeared on her maiden voyage in the region of space known as the Bermuda-345 pyramid.

Pirates, sabotage, even Thargoids were considered, but no wreckage or bodies were ever found.

Whatever happened to the "Hidden Fortune" still remains an enigma.

16 - insanephoton - Inheritance

Aoife examined the trinket box. It was Aunt Agatha's treasure box. Not much of an inheritance, just an empty box. Aoife recalled how her aunt had told wonderful stories about each object it had contained.
    Then she realised it wasn't quite empty. There was something in the hidden compartment, a note and a data chip.
    'Darling Aoife,
    there's a fully equipped Cobra registered in your name, waiting at the shipyard. Just give the chip to Big Dave when you're ready.
    Go out and have some adventures, you can fill the box with your own treasures.
    Your ever loving Aunt Agatha'

When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

Ok working quickly to get this out for you all.. so I can go get some dinner
    Audio
    http://thargoidandfer-de-lance.co.uk...fortune-audio/
    Direct here
    OR on ITUNES (Search Abraka Drabble)

And of course the VIDEO Feed

I thought Missileman's drabble was read out beautifully.
    When you need me, but do not want me, I must stay ... When you want me, but do not need me, I must go.

Right im editing the video... due to the intro its banned in the US and Canada, and due to the Sophie Aldred section, its banned worldwide!! lol oops

At least I can listen to the audio feed!
    Which I did. Excellent show!

I think it was DocStone (nope, wasn't Doc... maybe it was Midden?) who asked about Rose and Seamus and their whereabouts. If I remember Drabble #100 with them (and Kalran), everyone is dead.
    Except maybe Kalran, who may or may not have been protected in that cabin.

Right, well, can't wait til Sunday night for the next theme! I'm ready to find another way to off the Moofster! Maybe I'll incorporate candles at Simon's request?

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Right im editing the video... due to the intro its banned in the US and Canada, and due to the Sophie Aldred section, its banned worldwide!! lol oops
    This is actually wonderful news. All the best things on the internet get banned at some stage

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

I just realised I didn't set an end date for the poll

God dammit, I almost cried when Alien read up number nine. Haha. Fantastic Well, this was not my "best" drabble. Lord Dick signing of

Fer De Lance a choice by nature

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    I just realised I didn't set an end date for the poll
    I gave the poll machine a dunt and all is well.

Great Tunes to Supercruise to - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Originally Posted by W4rSkuLL View Post (Source)
    God dammit, I almost cried when Alien read up number nine. Haha. Fantastic Well, this was not my "best" drabble. Lord Dick signing of
    It was read beautifully ... and yes, I couldn't stop laughing either, which just made it harder to get through, and made it funnier, which made me laugh even more.

Originally Posted by Galactic Midden View Post (Source)
    I gave the poll machine a dunt and all is well.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    It was read beautifully ... and yes, I couldn't stop laughing either, which just made it harder to get through, and made it funnier, which made me laugh even more.

Thank you.
    Yeah, it was great Just souping up some coffee here.

Fer De Lance a choice by nature

Good to see two of the Drabbles I voted for doing well.. But why no love for Galactic Midden's entry? Come on folks. Get yer votes in. Midden's story has.. erm.. character?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast