Update 23th of January 2016.
Brilliant news: On the 5th of January 2016, Zac Antonaci -Head of Community Management of FD- wrote in the "Open Letter to Frontier Developments" thread that usage of the iPhone companion app api is LEGAL. Source. Which makes the usage of tools which use this api like EDMC, EDAPI and EDCE LEGAL. Other great news: On the 18th of January 2016, Brett C. -Community Assistant/Manager of FD- created the "Elite Dangerous->Gameplay and Features->Player Tools & API Development" subforum. Its an excellent place for checking out new and existing tools. The EDCodex thread is also there.
EDCodex is basically the on steroids community driven website version of the third party tools thread by Wolverine2710. Biobob kindly enough offered to create the website - which provides far more functionality. He performed miracles. Work started end of March and now its finally ready for release. After release new functionality is however planned.
The site is equally suited for regular PC´s, tablets and smartphones. Other design goals: speed, scalable and Search engine optimization (SEO) -so that entries can be easily found by commanders.
Providing a complete overview of all available third party tools, interesting threads, community websites,wikis and videos - all four are called entries on EDCodex. You might ask why? Due to the way the FD forum works a lot of good entries get snowed under very fast and the authors do NOT get the exposure they clearly deserve. For casual forums users, getting an overview of all entries is nearly impossible. Something we think is very important, especially for those new to Elite: Dangerous.
- SEARCH FORCOMMUNITY TOOLS, THREADS, MEDIA.
- SHARE YOUR ED PROJECT, WEBSITE, TUTORIALS.
- FOLLOW YOUR FAVORITE TOOLS TO KEEP AN EYE ON THEM.
Community driven. Collecting, storing of ED related entries and sharing it with the community.
- All authors of an entry in EDCodex are encouraged to edit it and to add new entries. All known authors of entries have received an inivitation 9-11 days and became owner of their entry before the official release.
- All adminitrators of community websites, wikis are encouraged to use the content of EDCodex. There is an export function (text and JSON format) for each entry. Also an API (output in JSOn format) is in place so that all content (including history) can be imported and used in their in other websites, wikis. The documentation will be made available ASAP.
- RSS feeds exist for all sections so you can keep track of everything which has been added and/or changed. In total 19 different RSS are available by default.
- EDCodex it self is open sourced under a MIT license. Any one can setup a similar site or enhance the current version. Pull requests can be created and can,will be merged into the source and the website.
- The EDCodex content is and needs to be a community driven effort. Any registered user can add entries. Authors of an existing entry can "claim" and edit it. Authors can give edit permissions to others if they are not able to update their entries.
- Its impossible for biobob and myself to keep track of everything. We are providing the EDCodex tool and have filled with approx 162 to get things started!
EDCodex is an ads free website. You do not need to register. All content is available for everybody.
Should you deem it worthwhile to register you will have some additional advantages.
- Share your project with the Elite Dangerous community.
- Alert everyone about interesting wiki(s) / thread(s) about ED.
- Save your favorite tools in your personal list.
- Get your personalized RSS feed for only the content you want
- Manage your personal space: all your submissions and favorites
- Reduced headers for the homepage and all other pages.
- More options are planned and are on the roadmap.
- Website: EDCodex.info
- EDcodex entry in EDCodex: Contains a list of ALL relevant EDCodex urls.
- Feature requests. Ask a question. Pirmarily usage: Feature requests and the FAQ section.
- Frequently Asked Questions. FAQ
- Reporting issues. The github issues page.
- Sourcecode. EDCodex public github repository
- Steam. In the Guides section for ED a guide for EDCodex has been created.
Its ONLY shows the Tools section. Powerful demo of what can be done with the EDCodex API.
- EDCodex is mentioned by Loriath on Reddit. Thread is here.
- Jamesremuscat. For his great help with migrating the website from test server to the current server. VERY much appreciated.
- Cmmcleod. Proof reading the website text of EDCodex - English is not our mother language. Providing feedback and the code for the waiting spinner.
- Vivio Technologies for free hosting. After I created the EDDN thread I was contacted by commander Errantthought. He and his manager both play ED. After talking to his boss he was able to offer me a free hosting solution (VPS Hosting) for the EDDN. Now its also used for EDCodex. I want to thank them both and their company for donating the resources to make EDCodex and EDDN possible.
Its our hope you like EDCodex and help us to make our vision of it a reality.
This Message is Brought to you By commander biobob and commander Wolverine.