• Please make a nice PDF

121 70.76%
  • Please keep this up-to-date

101 59.06%
  • Please put the kettle on

47 27.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Controls. Help for new + Beta players. Printable layout + quick start guide

Arrow Keyboard Controls. Help for new + Beta players. Printable layout + quick start guide

I made it to elite using just keyboard only.

Name:  elite-trade.jpg
Views: 4299
Size:  175.7 KB

Last updated 05/08/14 - Please leave a reply if you found this useful. Subscribe to thread for updates

Now version 3.1 and a bit

Elite Dangerous Custom Keyboard controls and starter guide. Colour coded PDF here

Overview

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 7

-
    Hi Folks,

A lot of new players joining soon so I've put together a keyboard layout and very simple quick start guide.

Please leave this as a keyboard only thread. There are lots of threads for voice attack, joysticks etc. This one is for people using keyboards and learning the basics. Hence the title Keyboard controls (no mouse).

These are the pretty much the same keys I've used for all of the Alpha testing, now simplified for Beta testing and new comers.

These are custom keys so you need to change whats in the controls options to match them. I've found it's much quicker than setting up joysticks and fiddling with various device settings, especially as settings get lost when there are updates and there are numerous bugs and issues with various controllers at present. You can use this as a quick start guide too. Basically to get used to the keys in steps.

The two controls that might be massive game changers for you are;

1) Optimum Manoeuvre Speed O - Set O to throttle 50 percent. When fling gets difficult just press O when you have flight assist on and you will rapidly regain control of your ship and fly in nice tight curves.

2) Flight Assist - Toggle this on and off as often as you can while you are learning to fly. It will take a while to get the hang of but once you do you will be moderately dangerous. Use it with thrusters rather than pitch and yaw to start with.

Docking with Flight Assist off video. Not the best video but something to show it can be done using keyboard only

You probably won't stick with keyboard but it's a good place to start.

Elite Dangerous Custom Keyboard controls and starter guide. Colour coded PDF here

I like to think I have a good rep for helping folk out so I hope you find this useful Have fun :smilie: Sorry about the lack of design skillz

Quick note. I've found it a lot easier to cycle weapon groups than to use a primary and secondary fire

OLD - Orange Keyboard - just for fun

If you are having problems remembering the keys then you can try something like keyboard stickers.

Here's a link to give you an idea of idea. Etsy is a good place to do a search. Try PC keyboard decals or PC keyboards stickers.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1548...w_type=gallery

edit 071014

havent had time to update the keys in the pdf for beta 2 but here are some hidden system keys that are not shown in the options menu

L-Ctrl+L-Alt+G to remove a lot of the GUI is nice for that.
    ALT + F10 lets you take extremely high resolution screen shots.
    F10 take ordinary screen shots
    CTRL + F = shows you frames per second.
    CTRL + B=bandwith
    The comma key makes the lift go up or down when docked.
    pressed the semicolon key and it went to windowed screen but have not verified that this is a system key as I cannot be certain of the key that I pressed or if it was just a bug.
    (comma, when you are in outfitting screen in hangar) Press " , " when in hangar.... lets you get an external view of your vessel
    "It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned" Ben's Keyboard controls PDF & Quick Start Guide updated 5 August 14

Thankyou. That'll be a big help after I've printed it off

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by finder View Post (Source)
    Thankyou. That'll be a big help after I've printed it off
    You're mor than welcome. The easier the game is to start off with the better for everyone Glad to be of some small use.

I've updated the keys to include a couple of more targeting options and yaw. I do fine without yaw and forgot to add it to the original image.

I've moved the head look to the top bank, because it's not something I use much, if you have it set to Direct look, yo can use it to look swiftly (a bit like additional views).

Fly safe, Finder.
    "It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned" Ben's Keyboard controls PDF & Quick Start Guide updated 5 August 14

I could use a coffee right about now....

I recommend everyone look at voiceattack.com. The $8 for the program is definitely worth it. Someone created a fantastic guide somewhere on here for Elite. When I find it, I will edit my post to include the link to the thread.

I have spent hours working on my profile. I have entered nearly all the commands and words/phrases that are fairly simple. I had to use "alternate" wording on some, because the program found my voice sometimes... Challenging.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtovuj3aln...te-Profile.vap

Here is a spreadsheet I have generated from the idea of another user here. In it, I have listed nearly all the commands as well.

Difference here, is that I have put everything in alphabetical order and with the exception of two keys that I know of, the sheet will tell you if you have a command already assigned.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic21zmckhx...tecommands.ods

Lastly, my custom.bind. Again, still working on them. They are for Thrustmaster Warthog/Saitek Combat Pro Flight rudders.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i78rdb2y34rqf3n/Custom.binds

All in preparation for using the Oculus Rift.

*Brings Ben a coffee*

Originally Posted by Serpentstar View Post (Source)
    I recommend everyone look at voiceattack.com. The $8 for the program is definitely worth it. Someone created a fantastic guide somewhere on here for Elite. When I find it, I will edit my post to include the link to the thread.

I have spent hours working on my profile. I have entered nearly all the commands and words/phrases that are fairly simple. I had to use "alternate" wording on some, because the program found my voice sometimes... Challenging.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtovuj3aln...te-Profile.vap

Here is a spreadsheet I have generated from the idea of another user here. In it, I have listed nearly all the commands as well.

Difference here, is that I have put everything in alphabetical order and with the exception of two keys that I know of, the sheet will tell you if you have a command already assigned.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic21zmckhx...tecommands.ods

Lastly, my custom.bind. Again, still working on them. They are for Thrustmaster Warthog/Saitek Combat Pro Flight rudders.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i78rdb2y34rqf3n/Custom.binds

All in preparation for using the Oculus Rift.
    Hi Serpentstar,

Please leave this as keyboard thread. Hence the title. "Keyboard controls". There are scores of threads about joysticks, voice attack etc.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Malicar View Post (Source)
    *Brings Ben a coffee*

Very kind of you.

Ah yes. Keyboard thread. Not joystick, voice attack, headtracker, virtual reality, stray toaster thread...

Smile

Thanks Ben. This is very useful for a newbie. I tried the joystick route but like your suggestion that its best to start with keyboard/mouse.
    If I master these controls I may progress to the world of controllers.

Liked your clear layout of the keyboard mapping. Just need hours of practice now.

Jim

Well done, Ben

I know I will end up customizing the crap out of my keys when I know they'll stick since I am "set in my ways" (It's really hard to remember all the controls to all the extremely complex games I love with 1,001 functions each haha) so I will probably run this map through PS for myself. It looks great

Originally Posted by jim View Post (Source)
    Thanks Ben. This is very useful for a newbie. I tried the joystick route but like your suggestion that its best to start with keyboard/mouse.
    If I master these controls I may progress to the world of controllers.

Liked your clear layout of the keyboard mapping. Just need hours of practice now.

Jim

Thank you Jim

Hope it helps. Just bimble about with the basic stuff and work up. Hours of practice is so very true. Just think once you know what every button does and have the fine precision that a keyboard can give (tap left a bit, up a bit, etc.) then get a stick or what not and put on your fighting trousers

I've found using the keyboard has made me think about how to play the game. Now I'm super-cruising zero heat signature with engines off at massive light speeds and using no flight assist (sometimes). And entering combats at full tilt with my engines off with zero heat signature. I don't think I would have got that edge by learning with lots of devices to start off. Sadly I'm a blasted useless shot

Originally Posted by DavidLasher View Post (Source)
    Well done, Ben

I know I will end up customizing the crap out of my keys when I know they'll stick since I am "set in my ways" (It's really hard to remember all the controls to all the extremely complex games I love with 1,001 functions each haha) so I will probably run this map through PS for myself. It looks great
    Thank you Mister Lasher Sir!

If someone who is graphically minded can make suitable pictures so that we can print onto stickers and put on the individual keys - that may also be beneficial otherwise I will just use abbreviations and colour coded stickers.

I do like the setup - thanks Ben.

Red face

Originally Posted by Flavio View Post (Source)
    If someone who is graphically minded can make suitable pictures so that we can print onto stickers and put on the individual keys - that may also be beneficial otherwise I will just use abbreviations and colour coded stickers.

I do like the setup - thanks Ben.

Thanks Flavio.

I have found that using cycle weapons is much easier than using secondary fire. Slightly tweaked the keys.

Updated the colour images and have added a black and white printer friendly PDF in the opening post.

My design skills are pretty dire but if it helps folk. That's all good. Please excuse typos. I can't type for toffee.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast