View Poll Results: ..

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

0 0%
Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The Old Elite IV speculation thread

Frontier Elite IV

So... beating around the bush.. anyone know when Elite IV is due out?

Originally Posted by rob001
    So... beating around the bush.. anyone know when Elite IV is due out?
    September 31st....

Toad

Originally Posted by ToadMan
    September 31st....

Toad
    According to play.com, its 30/03/2007: Elite IV: The Next Encounter

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?sear...go.x=48&go.y=5

Before it stated that it was sometime in September this year, but it looks like its been moved.

Personally I would wait for Frontier themselves to release the date and that won't be until they are near a finished product. But the question is why do Play.com advertise this for pre-order right now, it just doesn't make any sense except to check early demand.

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #94
    I would take Play's release date with a huge pinch of salt, a release date has not been set for Elite IV.

Michael

It's amazing it's finally getting any release, i still have an original copy of frontier somewhere, although it never worked great with win 95/dos.

What worries me a bit is that they are talking so long about a follow up for FFE but I wonder where they are really now in developement.
    I've seen no screenshots
    There is no website
    The FAQ is really outdated
    Basicly frontier is only telling is that there is coming a follow up and they do that since 1998??.
    Try to google on Elite 4, it's hard to find any recent info about elite 4
    So I fully understand that a lot of people doubt if Elite 4 will ever come uit.

A newsitem with the current state of the project or maybe a small summary with goals to reach for the next periods ( for example: a website in october, gamerelease period between march and june 2007) and an updated FAQ.
    It's not that I want detailed information, not at all but just more feedback from frontier about the game.
    I think that would take away a lot of doubt by a lot of ppl including myself

but for so far the critics now
    I can't wait till it's release cause fair is fair elite is one of the best games ever. I know I played elite on 9,5Mhz processor (that was on turbo mode) on a black and white screen. I was little kid then.
    When my brother had his own pc (100 Mhz 486 DX4) I was doing very annoying to him every saturday and sunday morning at 9 o'clock just to play first encounters on his PC.
    I loved that game, played it for a long long long time

Originally Posted by Marcus_UK
    Erm your brain is more capable at the moment than any PC around more calculations no reliant on an external power source, etc........

On a seperate note.....

Step away from the beer can... You have 3 seconds to comply.
    Firstly I'd just like to emphasize: at the moment. What about quantum computers, to mention just one probable future computing technology? If we have individual computing elements at sub-atomic sizes then we'll have virtually instantaeous transfer speeds (possibly instantaneous - anyone know any quantum theory?). Combine a few of those elements together into even a rudimentary processor and it will fundementally change the world in which we live. This will happen if we don't all kill each other first. Also what about other alternative future computing possibilities - artificial neural networks, parallel computing - taking us more in the direction of the biological computing power of the human brain that so many believe to be unsurpassable. Careful, logical design combined with technologies such as these will surpass the chaotic, evolutionary design mess that has brought us into existance any day.

Secondly, erm... *ahem*... I'm away from the beer can, for just now anyway.

Originally Posted by redstar1
    I think someones been watching too much TV and reading too many japanese comics
    I hardly ever watch TV and have never read a Japanese comic in my life! I think my ideas are more influenced by books such as Kevin Warwick's "March of the Machines" (a bit repetitive and not that well written, but some inspired ideas) and the fact that I have been working with and studying computers all my life and as well as keeping up to date with some of the research in the field.

But anyway lets talk about Elite IV! The Elite universe has already been created so lets not speculate as to it's accuracy (not in this post at any rate). What do you think will be the technological advances between FFE and Elite IV? And what about the Thargoids? Elite IV is supposed to be called "The Next Encounter" isn't it?

We're already cyborgs. A 'chipped' dog probably qualifies as a pet cyborg. Some dogs have wheelie trolleys to alleviate partial paralysis. Even a wheelchair is a machine. Pacemakers, in vivo insulin implants or other drug delivery systems, neurological augmentaion technologies for paraplegics and such are gaining ground all the time. One researcher in the US created a robotic arm that could be remote controlled by a chimp with a (massive & ghastly) brain implant protruding from the top of its skull - though this was a good ten years ago, and now these technologies are much more refined and being deployed, albeit experimentally, in clinics around the world.

In vivo extended memory, quantum computing, and internet access are all theoretically feasable and emerging technologies are pushing this way constantly. Prosthetic sensory organs are just around the corner. Artificial - and ultimately enhanced - eyesight, hearing, even taste and smell are just decades away, and will be commonplace long before we master bio and nano techs - though we'll doubtless have those too by the 3rd millenium.

And as with anything, there'll be the have's, and the have-nots...

Not sure what this has to do with E4, but there you have it. I rant, therefore I am.:confused:

Originally Posted by caol
    Firstly I'd just like to emphasize: at the moment. What about quantum computers, to mention just one probable future computing technology? If we have individual computing elements at sub-atomic sizes then we'll have virtually instantaeous transfer speeds (possibly instantaneous - anyone know any quantum theory?). Combine a few of those elements together into even a rudimentary processor and it will fundementally change the world in which we live. This will happen if we don't all kill each other first. Also what about other alternative future computing possibilities - artificial neural networks, parallel computing - taking us more in the direction of the biological computing power of the human brain that so many believe to be unsurpassable. Careful, logical design combined with technologies such as these will surpass the chaotic, evolutionary design mess that has brought us into existance any day.

I think the problem isn't so much about the performance of computers, its about working out how the brain works! I've read/heard it in a couple of places that we probably had enough processing power back in the 80s to get "intelligence" in a computer - if only we knew how to programme it!

Obviously we know how the brain works on a simple level, but how things are actually done in the brain still remains largely a mystery as far as I am aware. Like how does our memory actually work, how do we learn, how do we recognise faces, how do we solve complex problems that will cause a computer to use huge amounts of time and/or memory, is our personality some collection of "settings" stored somewhere or is it like a hash of all of our memories, do we have limited "storage" for memories?

There is the question of if you can really compare a brain to a computer anyway - I'd love to know if there was in effect some real tangible "organic programming" and systems going on in the brain like how we program computers (at a high level anyway)

This is the so-called "binding problem". I found an elegant theoretical solution some years back, based on resolving informational and connective entropies in signal ana|ysis and network equilibria, as determined by conservative selection pressure and cellular geometries (ie. thermogeometric ambient potentials and complexity, or rather, simplicity, in randomly self-organising networks). Basically, efficiency is 'god', quantum information is a four-dimensional state space (partial, prior, temporal and spectral), and all information we can see, hear, taste, smell, think or feel is PPTS modulation of factor-two synchrony. Which was nice.

It's too much to post here, and I don't have a write-up online, but see Miller et al's work on temporal thalamacortical modulation:

http://jn.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/87/1/516

GC Huth's pioneering work on the retinal transform:

http://www.ghuth.com/vision/

Also Axel and Buck's 2004 Physiology Nobel for their explanation of olfactory function, and subsequent papers on this and gustation, David Mckay's work on cellular function and information theory, as well as anything on set theory, Fourier & wavelet transforms, just about any of the work being done at Penn, Stuart Kauffman's work on dynamical systems theory, anything on synaesthesia, and just about anyhting else that seems even remotley connected. I went through some three gigabytes of PDFs in one year, trying to pan it out. Did my ' head in, but then I ain't not no acedemic nor nuffink, innit...

But I think you're right - We'll get there, eventually. kurzweil's singularity and all dat, eh. If the 'terrorists' don't take us all out, Skynet probably will. Hope I get to play E4 beforehand...

Firstly I would like to say, I've been a fan for many, many years. Both BBC and Spectrum have been my haunts for this game. Im not as learned as some of the other fans here but I have played computer games....OH! I have played. My field lies as a Broadcast producer and cameraperson.
    Originally Posted by fozza
    Imagine a universe where current corporations have dedecated space stations. You dock and see the latest Elite styled adverts from the likes of Intel or Microsoft or Pepsi. Adverts that advertise modern products but in a futuristic way e.g Pepsi Galaxy - The latest cola for zero G drinking!
    or Cobra MK VIII Intel Inside!

The revenue goes back to Frontier in order to fund the servers.

Imagine flying to a station owned by MTV where you dock and watch a live gig by an aspiring new band. The feed being fed live from the real world.

Imagine talking voice over IP ship to ship in the same system with a picture of the caller appearing on your dashboard comunication screen.

Imagine customisable ships which you would pay real world cash to shipyards for special cosmetic upgrades and liverys. Buy a custom ship off eBay?

Having a apartment which you can walkaround either on planet or at a space station. Buying items to decorate it (a bit Sims esk ). Earning lots of cash from trading buy a bigger pad or have multiple homes. Imagine a virtual real estate market.
    Fozza
    Essentially, I was completely in favour of this idea. In retrospect, as much as this might pay for the server I feel it could limit the game.

What if people held a crusade on Mcdonalds and wanted to blow up the station (which we all want to do at some point). Could we do it? Is it impossible?

Im afraid, if you let so much money enter a game like this you also let the aspect of the companies dictating what happens. Look at most racing games, they have 'real' cars and most games do not allow for those cars to be damaged.

Maybe the odd impervious bill board, or a bill board you blow up that, instanteously after destruction, ships are sent out to repair.

As for making it a MMOPRG, there are many factors which could deny or allow either.

As mentioned before...naming planets......could be a dangerous thing to do considering whether the game is going to be playing over servers. What if a player is there first but connection problems mean that a second player elects a name first? talk abotu all scale warfare?

Also, how do you make it fair for people who have just started in game as opposed to those seasoned players? I know there are many unreasonable gamers who like to excercise their force during game time in 'clans' and such that involved cheats and hacks which are unfair. Its a very difficult thing to judge.

There is alot to figure out. As much as I would love it to be a server univserse, I could just imagine....

As much as I would like to see this as a one player extravanza I would like to see it multiplayer as well.

The comments about leaving your shuttle are certainly something which I would be all for. Oxygen, Food supplies etc...all sound good but these are just small modifications of which can be brought on board at a later stage.
    As Mr Braben showed us in the past, it is often the simplest of algorythms that have proven the most addictive games, so maybe simplicity is also best.

Lastly, people have made comments about 'fan base'. I wish to try to answer those by saying that 'this is Mr Braben' we are talking about, a man who has proved his talent in so many ways in the past. I, or I should say we believe in what you have done in the past and what you are about to do and we share this greatness being with you from the start and to the end. There were critics of Frontier but fans stood by you because we could see what you were doing. This wasnt a blind zealot allegiance, these were older generation people who understood the implications of the game you were creating. Your fan base now is in its 30's, people with much more expendable income. I believe the older fans will buy out of respect and younger ones out of the legend which has given birth to countless imitators of the original, yet still none have beaten.

Having played Conqueror and Zarch, I have full faith in whatever you decide Mr Braben. Please keep your fan base well informed...and remember who wants to be a tester for you *wink wink*

Thumbs up Elite 4

Greetings All,

my tribute to Elite:
    I've played the first Elite on the C64 and I've played tons of games meantime.
    Of course I didn't miss any of the Elite's later.

ELITE IS STILL MY NUMBER ONE GAME ON THE VERY TOP OF MY TOP-TEN !

- I bought almost all Frontier Games only to support the development of Elite4
    - I always checked frontier.co.uk to catch Infos .. without real success ..untill now
    - I recently realized the new WEB-design but haven't seen the Forum

I'm really glad about this thread ... its a kind of heart-beat of Elite4 to me :-)

looking forward to the remake of a legend which always dominated my dreams regarding Games ..

Last commend, I've played :

EVE online
    Edge of Chaos
    HARDWAR
    X1,X2,X3
    PARKAN
    Battlecruiser

...and non of them replaced my Elite ..

its a special feeling to post here, thanks a lot and greetings from Switzerland
    <<<1stBiker

Wink 12 Planets to delay E4?

Hey, those of you keeping up with the news, it looks probable that we'll be adding three more planets to our solar system. So I was just thinking it would stink if that means delaying E4 another 3-5 years because they have to redesign the Sol system.

Originally Posted by Spyderboyy
    Hey, those of you keeping up with the news, it looks probable that we'll be adding three more planets to our solar system. So I was just thinking it would stink if that means delaying E4 another 3-5 years because they have to redesign the Sol system.
    More than likely, because the legal implications would take at least that long to sort out

Didn't they have Ceres in Frontier?

It should be interesting to see how the Kuiper belt gets modelled anyway. Also, there's also that freaky UB313 that is way off the orbital plane.

Page 7 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast