Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range missions in 1.4

Long range missions in 1.4

It's always been rumored that FD was "looking at" implementing long range missions in 1.4, but after 1.4 dropped the longest range missions I recall seeing were 40 LY or so. I saw on a Reddit thread a report of missions up to 480 light years with big payouts for the effort. Has anyone else seen these? Got a screenshot? I'm gonna have to wait to fire up ED tonight after the ol' day job but for me this would be a good sign that the revamped mission system is actually getting some love.

Sadly not. I've been dabbling a bit in the beta, but so far the only changes I've seen in terms of missions are the new legal salvage ones (basically the same as searching for black boxes and so on, but cargo not illicit), and much longer timers on some missions, in some cases up to a week or more.

Again, it looks as though the framework is there for the more complex missions, but I've not seen any sign of the content yet.

Three of the first 5 missions I picked up in the Beta, where over 100ly away, very confusing at 1st. Which soon answered the question, why the new galaxy map tab, at the bottom of the mission window?

No picture, (must remember to hit the F10 button when I see this stuff) but I was out at Sothis as part of this treasure hunt thing. checking the bulletin board of Newholm station I saw a smuggling job for round about 3.8 million.
    It was to ship just two crates of narcotics back to a system nearly 500ly away on the border of the bubble.

That must be some seriously good stuff for somebody to want to pay that much for it!

Anyway, there were other similar jobs. Slave shipping for about the same, courier tasks for 350 odd grand. It'd be easy to go out there with an Asp trucker and stack jobs for one huge payout.

No pic, but I have seen two missions that had their destination around 120 LY away and pay pretty decent. I like that because it feels like the systems are now more working together, not only with their neighbors.

Okay, couple of pics. Couldn't find a 3.8 one again. These were close though.

Name:  Screenshot_0416.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  262.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_0417.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  270.1 KB

Target system is 401ly away in Antal's space. The other smuggling job was to Beetrix in Li's region, about 420ly, as was one of the courier jobs.
    However the courier ones are tight for time: half hour or so, but could be done.

Originally Posted by Kitfox View Post (Source)

Target system is 401ly away in Antal's space. The other smuggling job was to Beetrix in Li's region, about 420ly, as was one of the courier jobs.
    However the courier ones are tight for time: half hour or so, but could be done.
    Well hot dog! That's exactly what I was looking for KitFox! Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster might still defy evidence but you've got photographic evidence. Gonna have to fire up the Beta and try some of those out. Thanks! Have some rep!

I'm repeating myself from a thread in general discussion, but if these long-range, high payout missions make it into the release version it'll be a big step in the right direction. To some it'll just be long-range grinding, and to a certain extent that will be true if all that's being done is making the mission target 400 light years away from the start point. Start -> Jump -> Complete Mission -> Jump back is an easy pattern to turn into a grind. So what makes Start -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Scoop -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Scoop -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Complete Mission any better?

If you're someone who always sticks to one region of space the game seems small. Forget arguments about the sameness of the game assets, faction names, system descriptions. Actually having to travel a good distance across the galmap actually makes me feel like I'm flying a spaceship, like I'm travelling somewhere with a purpose. That to me is one of the intangibles of games like this. It's part of the "use your imagination" aspect that works for me. YMMV.

But if this is all the extended range missions turn out to be, it will eventually turn back into a treadmill. Long range missions shouldn't just be about the CR/Hr, they should each be an adventure of some kind, with amped up risks and amped up rewards to actually give them some teeth as opposed to another way to just click and cash in.

Accept a long range mission, and have it immediately turn a system faction somewhere along the way hostile to you, and make them try to stop you. Use the "traitor" mechanic from PowerPlay where if you defect that you get a custom-made bounty hunter who tracks you down the entire flight and tries to blow you away. Make missions where you have to go to a distant station and bring something BACK, forcing you run the gauntlet both ways, or plot a longer route around the danger. Put time limits on really lucrative runs to deliver legal papers, or organs for donations, critical intelligence for a battle, or to sneak onto a station and snatch up a commodity before a competitor gets there.

Make it so you have to use your skills as a pilot to succeed, rather than "plot economic route" and Jump -> Jump -> Jump -> Scoop -> Jump -> Jump -> Jump ...

Make it fun and exciting to fly again!

It can be done...

Holly cow, 3.5M for a run? Does it also mean you get a 3.5M+ fine if you get scanned???

Originally Posted by Lord_Crazy View Post (Source)
    Holly cow, 3.5M for a run? Does it also mean you get a 3.5M+ fine if you get scanned???
    I should hope so! You shouldn't get big payouts without taking big risks. Call me crazy but sometimes I want my heart to be pounding as I try to make it the last jump with a blown-out canopy with 30 seconds of life support and hull at 18%, especially if I've made some poor piloting decisions to get there. The big fat paycheck should be the bait to lure CMDRs in to doing dangrous, stupid things.

Actually, it gets better. Went back in after reading the forums for a bit and this had popped up:

Name:  Screenshot_0418.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  268.5 KB

heck! Six and a half mill for some wacky baccy!?
    Mind, it is for elite traders. I would have thought by the time you'd hit elite in trucking you didn't really care about getting any more money. So, bit of a waste there.

Actually, it gets better. Went back in after reading the forums for a bit and this had popped up:

Name:  Screenshot_0418.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  268.5 KB

heck! Six and a half mill for some wacky baccy!?
    Mind, it is for elite traders. I would have thought by the time you'd hit elite in trucking you didn't really care about getting any more money. So, bit of a waste there.
    If you got elite in trading, you likely only care about more money. I like it, I think the quantities should be much much higher, like 50-200 tons, but I like that things are getting long range. Those others requiring peddler rank seems kind of low too.

Originally Posted by Bacalao View Post (Source)
    If you got elite in trading, you likely only care about more money. I like it, I think the quantities should be much much higher, like 50-200 tons, but I like that things are getting long range. Those others requiring peddler rank seems kind of low too.
    Keep in mind payout is also affected by trade rank of the viewer.

So an actual "peddler" could make quite a bit less.

No idea what hard numbers are though.

Name:  Screenshot_0416.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  262.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_0417.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  270.1 KB

Oh the irony I'm dieing of laughter over here. Think about it" for medical purposes I need you to take these calming plants 420ly away" did anyone else notice this or am I the only one?

I've taken a couple of missions in the Stress Test. One for 145k another for 700k (there or thereabouts) to the same station. Never seen any missions above 700k that I could take although I think I'm at merchant. And then had a guy (npc) want to pay me 195cr (not 195,000cr) to fail the mission. When the fine was 1900 credits for failure. Had this been in the actual game, I'd have killed the fool for wasting my time. I tell you, these guys have been at the Onionhead again

Can anyone tell me why you have to be of a certain trade rank before you're entrusted with these higher-level missions? I would have thought that sufficient rep with your prospective employer would have been enough?

You know, kind of do a few small jobs for them, building up to longer routes with more valuable cargo etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast