Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Thread: Help something unique in the game to be saved, save the alliance prison colony

  1. #1

    Help something unique in the game to be saved, save the alliance prison colony

    I'm sure many of you have noticed the absence of an alliance affiliated prison colony. Well, that's because there used to be only one. A little rough gem among all the other government types in our space. This prison colony was a miracle. We were never supposed to have it. It had no description and no banned commodities list. It seems that the developers have made the chance for once to be procedurally generated to close to a zero in terms of chances and though it wouldn't be created, but it did. The Alliance prison colony of Kan Aphu was the result of that. The faction which denied the RNG.

    Obviously, having no description and no banned commodities list was a problem. After all, a prison colony in Alliance space could be nothing else than a proper rehabilitation facility. This had to be fixed, so I reported it.

    And today I found out that the developers have taken the easy way out on this one. Instead of fixing the Alliance prison colony, they turned it to an Independent one.

    As you can see in https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189434, it is pretty much considered fix. So I need your help, everyone's help to apply pressure for a proper fix on this matter to happen.

    With enough pressure, we can get the Alliance Prison Colony to exist as it deserves for defying all odds and getting created. Save the faction who lived!

    Edit: Update on a second system which suffered a same fate similar to the Kan Aphu Prison Colony. The unique Imperial Cooperative named "Prism as one", based in the Prism system, also had its government status changed to "Patronage" with this patch for the same proclaimed fix.
    "Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."






  2. #2
    I'll second that, lasy developing if all they do is remove it without an explanation to the players.

  3. #3
    I don't get why the Alliance can't have any prison colonies. A lot of the Alliance members are practically independent, and many of them are dictatorships. Why not prison colonies?

  4. #4
    I vote to remove all of the prison colonies. They have no place in a technologically advanced society. They're inefficient, ineffective and expensive.

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    I vote to remove all of the prison colonies. They have no place in a technologically advanced society. They're inefficient, ineffective and expensive.
    I think we had this discussion before

    The society in ED isn't very technologically advanced on many fronts, they're often unnecessarily inefficent, definitively irrational and idealistic (and not always to democratic ideals). They are pretty rich, though.
    I think prison colonies fits this perfectly.

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    I vote to remove all of the prison colonies. They have no place in a technologically advanced society. They're inefficient, ineffective and expensive.
    The others might be, but this one was a beacon of light. A place where the criminal elements entering the Alliance society get educated on how to appreciate and value their fellow citizen's rights and liberties. A rehabilitation facility which was instituted by Mahon himself, by bribing RNGesus, to ensure that no individual would fail to understand the principles which make the Alliance the example it is in terms of social wealth and responsibilities that come along with it.
    "Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."






  7. #7
    Originally Posted by Defacto View Post (Source)
    I think we had this discussion before

    The society in ED isn't very technologically advanced on many fronts, they're often unnecessarily inefficent, definitively irrational and idealistic (and not always to democratic ideals). They are pretty rich, though.
    I think prison colonies fits this perfectly.
    And I don't think you realize just how little technology it takes to eliminate prisons.

    Portugal already eliminated their use for drug related crimes, and the rest of the world is looking at them as a shining example of the future. We're about 50 years away from their complete obsolesence. Real world government are inefficient, irrational and idealistic yet even they realize just how beneficial their deletion from history will be.

    Get rid of prisons, they're a relic of old, expired literary tropes and don't belong in the game.

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    And I don't think you realize just how little technology it takes to eliminate prisons.

    Portugal already eliminated their use for drug related crimes, and the rest of the world is looking at them as a shining example of the future. We're about 50 years away from their complete obsolesence. Real world government are inefficient, irrational and idealistic yet even they realize just how beneficial their deletion from history will be.

    Get rid of prisons, they're a relic of old, expired literary tropes and don't belong in the game.
    It would obviously not be a prison under the usual vengeful justice that many seem to think they are about. Just use the same government type for formatting easiness. The description should portray that.
    "Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."






  9. #9
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    I vote to remove all of the prison colonies. They have no place in a technologically advanced society. They're inefficient, ineffective and expensive.
    I vote to rename Prison Colonies, to Blatter-Bases.

    It just scans better, and is nicely alliterative. Obviously all BB's will have (very active) black markets.

    - This is a work of fiction, any similarity to people living or dead or hopelessly corrupt, is purely coincidental -
    CMDR PiLhEaD

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    And I don't think you realize just how little technology it takes to eliminate prisons.

    Portugal already eliminated their use for drug related crimes, and the rest of the world is looking at them as a shining example of the future. We're about 50 years away from their complete obsolesence. Real world government are inefficient, irrational and idealistic yet even they realize just how beneficial their deletion from history will be.

    Get rid of prisons, they're a relic of old, expired literary tropes and don't belong in the game.
    Elite isn't an enlightened future, though; it takes place in an alternate timeline where the 80s never ended, even long after humanity colonized space. Why do you think we have faster-than-light travel, but no internet beyond newsfeeds and BBSes?

  11. #11
    They must be very empty prison colonies. The police don't seem to do much arresting. Blasting is more their style.

  12. #12
    Originally Posted by CorvusDove View Post (Source)
    They must be very empty prison colonies. The police don't seem to do much arresting. Blasting is more their style.
    Not much different than the democracies then.
    "Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he does good not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."






  13. #13
    I vote that all players with a bounty on their head or do illegal activities will be put in the prison when caught for at least 24 real time hours

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by Kowboat View Post (Source)
    Elite isn't an enlightened future, though; it takes place in an alternate timeline where the 80s never ended, even long after humanity colonized space. Why do you think we have faster-than-light travel, but no internet beyond newsfeeds and BBSes?
    And our future IS enlightened?

    The fact that ED hasn't moved beyond the 80's is my point. It's okay to dust off your Canon and make some updates based upon advancements in society and/or technology. Especially when it comes to Sci-Fi which relies entirely upon the parallels in these two things with current society to be relevant.

    It's okay to change for the better. No one is going to belittle you for making improvements.

  15. #15
    Originally Posted by Windscreen Smudge View Post (Source)
    And our future IS enlightened?

    The fact that ED hasn't moved beyond the 80's is my point. It's okay to dust off your Canon and make some updates based upon advancements in society and/or technology. Especially when it comes to Sci-Fi which relies entirely upon the parallels in these two things with current society to be relevant.

    It's okay to change for the better. No one is going to belittle you for making improvements.
    Yes, exactly. In fact, society in ED has regressed. Possibly, even several times, depending on what sources you give weight to in the lore.
    I'm not sure if this is 100% intentional, but I think that the tone works pretty well with the retro-ish feeling from other elements of the game.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast