View Poll Results: Which three of these Drabbles deserve to win a cup?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Erik Marcaigh - A Call to Arms

3 17.65%
  • 02 - EidLeWeise - The Mighty Mug!!

2 11.76%
  • 03 - moose666 - The Mugging muggers been mugging mugged!

2 11.76%
  • 04 - Simoof - Bloody Mugs

2 11.76%
  • 05 - Rascon - Is this a Mug I see before me?

4 23.53%
  • 06 - CMDR Texas Stu - MUGGERS

2 11.76%
  • 07 - Edith_The_Hutt - The Hutton Mug

4 23.53%
  • 08 - Galactic Midden - What happened to all the mugs?

2 11.76%
  • 09 - Darkoba - M. U. G.

3 17.65%
  • 10 - T.j - A tenuous mug reference of the based kind.

1 5.88%
  • 11 - Listeri69 - Wanted: One Mug for testing the Mug...

3 17.65%
  • 12 - Goose4291 - Derelict

2 11.76%
  • 13 - psykokow - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

1 5.88%
  • 14 - cleonymus - You say potato

3 17.65%
  • 15 - Ian Phillips - Delayed Reaction

1 5.88%
  • 16 - MrMogadon - Everything Tastes Better from my Hutton Mug

4 23.53%
  • 17 - Splendour - Special Delivery

1 5.88%
  • 18 - Frank - A Tea Party's No Picnic

4 23.53%
  • 19 - Sneevus - Eye of the beholder.

2 11.76%
  • 20 - insanephoton - Mug of Destiny

5 29.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Famous Drabble Competition Week 123: MUG!!!

The Famous Drabble Competition Week 123: MUG!!!

Welcome to Drabble contest. The game is simple. All you need to do is read the 20 stories below. Each and every story was a mugful of blood sweat and tears, and I'd boilwash that mug before you drink out of it.

Somehow Listeri69 wrote a story so good it persuaded us to vote for him despite the fears of what weird and wonderful topic he'd inflict on us. Those fears were ungrounded. He gave us the topic of "MUG!!!" (very sensible).

Below where you're looking are the stories, all short and wonderful. Above where you're looking are the voting options. You get to tick three boxes. The results are revealed on Sunday night. The winner chooses the topic for the next week. Wash, Rinse, And repeat.

The only rule is DONT VOTE FOR YOURSELF! Anyone caught voting for themselves will be forced at gunpoint to host Psykokow's reading of the Drabbles www.twitch.tv/psykokow Friday at 7:00 BST

01 - Erik Marcaigh - A Call to Arms

The urchin sat, huddled in blankets on the street corner. She held her grimy hands out, begging for scraps of anything. When you had nothing, then anything put you in a better place.

The twin suns of Jizmungus beat down on her much like the way society had beaten down on her parents. Taken as slaves, she was left to fend for herself. That witch had no need for almost 3 million slaves, much less her two parents.

Someone tossed a metal mug near her. She knew what to do to free her parents. She ran, screaming, "For the mug!!!"

02 - EidLeWeise - The Mighty Mug!!

HTML Code:
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!     Mug!
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!        Mug!
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!    Mug!
    Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug! Mug!

03 - moose666 - The Mugging muggers been mugging mugged!

"Youse best gizza your money miss."
    She sighed, barely 24 hours into shore leave, and three goons were trying to mug her.
    One had a flick knife, the other 2 had gormless, room temperature IQ expressions.
    She however, had the Mug.

>CLONG<

The first flew backwards, knife flying upwards alongside lots of broken teeth.

>CLONG<

The second fell as she brought the Mug hard down on his skull.
    The third ran, and promptly fell as the expertly thrown mug >CLONG<ed into the back of his neck.

She collected her undamaged Mug.
    The Hutton Mug, federally certified for close combat.

04 - Simoof - Bloody Mugs

He fell to the ground, blood gushing from the back of his head.Splinters of mug lay exploded all around him.
    Why were people laughing?
    "MUG!"
    This one tore open his face, he started to choke. His left eye deflated and fell out the socket, impaled with shards of the last mug.
    "MUG! MUG! MUG!"
    Pulverising his face, a red pulp unrecognisable as human.
    His last dimming thought... why is this amusing? All I did was forget his hobnob .
    "MUG!"
    Blood and brains splattered, sparing the mug its pre-determined destiny.
    A silver one - the finisher - a Hutton Mug.
    *mug* - unheard.

05 - Rascon - Is this a Mug I see before me?

"Gonna cost you."
    "How much?"
    "Half a Million. Not seen a ship in this state before, what did you do?"
    "Took a load of scrap to Hutton Orbital"
    "Good profit?"
    "Actually I lost money, couldn't dock, had to offload to another ship, they took a cut"
    "you lost money and screwed your ship? I hope at least you got one of those cool mugs"
    "Out of Stock"
    "Gin?"
    "Out of stock"
    The Mechanic smiled as he walked away rubbing his hands together and thought
    “No Profit, ruined ship, there is at least one mug that came back from Hutton”

06 - CMDR Texas Stu - MUGGERS

Apparently in ancient times people worshipped mugs or at least, held them in high regard.
    Ancient sayings translated from data records include, "My, what a gorgeous mug you have", "Get your mug out of my face" and "I was mugged".
    There is record of a group who worshipped mugs in social media who some claim is a self-fulfilled prophecy that only has become reality as a memorial to this group who posted across multiple venues within social media, even including video steams, audio streams and text files all dedicated to them.
    They are known simply as the Hutton Orbital Muggers.

07 - Edith_The_Hutt - The Hutton Mug

Apprentice Technician Fiona Ross' first day was a disaster. The chief had sent her to fetch the light-second timer from Astrometrics, they didn't have it but they wanted a zero-g pendulum from the docking bay instead. Docking sent her to Hydroponics for hyperspace jump leads and on she went, frantically searching the entire station, hunting equipment no one had.

At the end of her shift she found a gift-wrapped package in her locker, inside a metal mug and a note:

"You might be gullible but you don't give up. Welcome aboard, from your friends on the Hutton Orbital maintenance crew."

08 - Galactic Midden - What happened to all the mugs?

It was 3315 and Commanders Serj and Rezqu exchanged glances of anticipation as the prospect of finding the fabled lost bounty of Hutton slowly become reality. For 14 years mysterious tales of intrepid truckers braving the galaxy with prolific intent had filled outposts and taverns, for none had returned.

Approaching thick forests below the ship slowed as mangled ruins and cargo containers came into view. The sensitive Docker™ tracking system <blip-blip-blip> counted out ever decreasing intervals as the ship descended towards the source.

<Clunk> Touchdown!

Stepping down Serj instantly recognised the markings ".22LY" and beamed, "it's a trucker!...... wait....... NOOOOOO!"

09 - Darkoba - M. U. G.

Space is lonely.

It's all very well building wealth, discovering new places, avoiding sudden and violent death, but...

That's why I responded to the ad.

"Empty co-pilot's seat? Want some company?
    'My-Unique-Friend corp. supplies authentic android
    'pal' to acompany you to the stars."

I fell for it. A large portion of my credit balance was exchanged for Arianne, a gorgeous brunette with piercing green eyes and sensuous lips.

Now I miss the loneliness. Arianne sits motionless next to me as we cross light-years, but she never shuts up, spouting endless, meaningless clichés.

My Unique Girlfriend? They must have seen me coming!

10 - T.j - A tenuous mug reference of the based kind.

The mug of Tea on the desk slowly cooled as T.j stared at the forum notifications tab.

'Cmon...Cmon...' he muttered under his breath impatiently.

'It was a funny Drabble, I checked it with the cat and she laughed.. sort of...'

The F5 button was taking some serious damage this time.

He grabbed his Elite Dangerous mug and threw it at the screen in apoplectic rage. It bounced off the monitors edge, and ricocheted back to give him a hefty lump on the forehead.

'2 VOTES, AND NO REP AGAIN!' He wailed.

'That Kow always messes up my Drabble the swine!'

11 - Listeri69 - Wanted: One Mug for testing the Mug...

David: ahhh Michelle I have aquired this new Hutton mug to test I say acquired some idiot fired it through the docking slot, Lou Brushe is still recovering from having it removed from his buttocks, apparently he was bending over cleaning pad 13 and it got lodged there, anyway look at it, isn't she a beauty.

Michelle: yes your majesty.

David: it says here we are to test it for strength, call Hans Supp...

Hans: You called?

David: MUG!!!....hmm not even a dent...Where did he go?

Michelle: It appears ze residual frame shift has mugged him into witchspace....

12 - Goose4291 - Derelict

The Diamondback, the Fuel Rat logo visible on it’s flank, gingerly approached the spinning dark and unpowered Sidewinder
    After gently bringing it’s spin under control, they married up the ships airlocks and the commander entered the Sidewinders airlock, carrying medial supplies as he glid in the zero g atmosphere..
    As pressurisation occured, CO2 warnings sprang up on his remlock indicating the sidewinders pilot had clearly suffocated days earlier.
    He mused on the situation. Why would someone try to travel to Hutton in a Sidewinder?
    He found the answer shortly, his torch illuminating words carved into the bulkhead:
    “FOR THE MUG”

13 - psykokow - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

The waiting at the clinic was frustrating. The two thugs sat clock watching.
    “You’re an idiot”
    “What?? It’s a honest mistake!”
    “Stupid mistake!, seriously how could you be so daft?”
    “You Said…”
    “I bloody well didn’t mean that?!!”
    “yeah but…”
    “Seriously, why the hell would I ever mean..”
    “You said…”
    “I Said MUG HIM!!!,” he spelled mug loudly.
    “I know that now… but I truly thought you said..”
    The doctors appeared, “Mr….” he eyed his paperwork suspiciously “Smith?”
    “yeah? Is butch alright?”
    “Well we managed to successfully remove Butch from the Senator, but sadly his psychological injuries were too severe.”

14 - cleonymus - You say potato

The senator raised one eyebrow as he looked at the hapless serf. "I ordered you to get me a mug."
    "That is what I did. One mug delivered, gift wrapped, as ordered"
    "Not mug, .... mug"
    "I don't understand"
    "Mug, it is pronounced mug!"
    "It was a three day journey and that's what they gave me. They said it was a mug"
    "You really need to improve your elocution if you hope to rise in the ranks. Now get out!"
    The serf backed towards the door and then exited quickly.
    The senator smiled, "And that is how you confuse a serf"

15 - Ian Phillips - Delayed Reaction

Two small packages lay on the table, one wrapped and sealed, the other open.

A small pad sat between them.

The assassin took the mug from the open package and cradled it in his hand.

"How does it work?"

"Simply hide the bomb on the ship and go to the restaurant balcony, where you can see the docking bays.

The pad is the activator. It's thermally activated, so when you see the target's ship undocking, simply place the Hutton mug on the coaster. When it has warmed the coaster to the trigger temperature for 10 seconds the bomb will activate."

16 - MrMogadon - Everything Tastes Better from my Hutton Mug

Hutton Mugs were de-riguer throughout the inner systems of both the Federation and the Empire.

They were an intergalactic phenomenon and soon a ubiquitous part of everyday life for many millions.

Things just tasted so darned good when sipped, swigged, quaffed or chugged from your Hutton Mug; Coffee, Tea, Beer, Rum, Brandy, Cough medicine; EVERYTHING, even Janxx.

Everyone agreed “Everything tastes better from my Hutton Mug”

Deep within Hutton Orbital, Qwai-Tsen Yip nodded his approval, the affinity chips moulded into each mug were working far better than expected.

Li Yong-Rui’s plan to weaken the established powers was well under way.

17 - Splendour - Special Delivery

The Cobra turned hard as it sped along the surface of the huge station. It was too exposed to the ships behind, it needed to find concealment. Dropping into the outer superstructure temporarily shook off the pursuing system authority Vipers, but brought a whole new set of perils. Jinking and weaving past struts and walls, the Cobra deftly threaded its way closer to the target.

Boosters flaring as it broke cover, the Cobra spun to face the weak spot, the way through to the heart of the artificial moon. The Hutton Mug was launched at the entrance of Winnard’s Hole.

18 - Frank - A Tea Party's No Picnic

All the crew had wide grins as they sat around the table. They all cheered when the midshipman brought over the teapot, and watched in fascination as the stream of tea pouring from the spout filled up each of the mugs.

Holding the mugs of fluid felt slightly weird. Everyone guffawed when Dobbin dropped his.

The commander was showing off by holding his mug with his pinkie in the air. "Okay! Dobbin's got the vacuum cleaner out. Make sure there's no crumbs or liquid loose. I can't hold this circular flightpath forever. Let's go deliver what's left of this tea."

19 - Sneevus - Eye of the beholder.

I found the crazy old man on an abandoned station, surrounded by junk.

"Searchingz for... treasurez?"
    "Absolutely!"
    "Before, I flyz lots to peoplez. Only one left now."
    "I'm not sure I understand..."
    "S'ok, stay here, I bringz you one."
    "Okay..."

He seemed harmless enough so I waited for his return.

"Here. You seekz, you havez."

He passed me a warm metal cylinder, open at one end. My heart sank as I read the engraving.

I ran back to my ship, finding it's panels open, the hyperdrive exposed and gutted.

The old fool chinked his mug against mine and grinned. "Tea?"

20 - insanephoton - Mug of Destiny

The legends told of the ancestors who had brought it from the skies, They said it had come from a place beyond the stars called Hut On. The mug of destiny was an important part of the coronation ceremony. The monarch to be would drink a sacred infusion.

Arwen sat on the throne as the high priest presented her with the mug. As she began to sip the drink, a strange comet raced across the night sky. The mug started to glow. It could only mean one thing. The ancient prophecy was coming to pass. The sky gods were returning

Alright, folks. We've got 6 voters so far, and should have many more to come!

If you've never seen a Drabble thread before, step in, take a read, and pick your favorite 3 drabbles and click that vote button! The more the merrier, and I can guarantee you that our writers like to know that SOMEONE appreciates their meager attempt at writing a 100-word story set in the Elite: Dangerous universe!

And if YOU think you can do better, then join us in the main thread starting Monday, check out the theme for the week, and write your own! We DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!!!

Alright, you slackers! We're 5 voters short of one for every entry! We should really be getting even more.

So I'm sure you're all returning or returned from Fantasticon, so boot up that computer, read the drabbles and pick your favorite three (3)!

I blame the amount of fun being had at Fantasticon for the lack of votes

Didn't anyone think to take a laptop to Fantasticon and force passers-by to vote for their favourite Drabbles on pain of Chinese burns?

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Didn't anyone think to take a laptop to Fantasticon and force passers-by to vote for their favourite Drabbles on pain of Chinese burns?
    We couldn't even get Psykokow on a phone for more than 2 minutes ... oh you didn't have sound at the beginning did you? ... I wonder who's fault that was?

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    We couldn't even get Psykokow on a phone for more than 2 minutes ... oh you didn't have sound at the beginning did you? ... I wonder who's fault that was?
    I've still no idea what I did wrong. Is there any chance of an MP3 of the show so I can catch up with events?

Congrats Insanephoton, may you wear the drabble crown with pride. Might I point out that next week's drabble poll coincides with halloween, should you be in need of topic inspiration.

Thankyou to everyone that voted for me. This week's topic is 'Trick or Treat'

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I've still no idea what I did wrong. Is there any chance of an MP3 of the show so I can catch up with events?
    It wasn't your fault, it was mine. I hadn't clicked on two buttons necessary to put sound through to the stream.
    I don't know what Grant will do, I am sure he'll upload it to his Youtube channel, even without the sound at the beginning, it was better than the last one I hosted.

But let's give everyone a chance to get back from Fantasticon .... right that was enough of a chance, where is the video?

Congrats insane and ohh a good topic.

I got 3 votes last week so obviously I only got the 1 this week to balance things out...