Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Prospectors Guide to the Galaxy (collating data on prospecting in Horizons)

A Prospectors Guide to the Galaxy (collating data on prospecting in Horizons)

Materials :

Fleet Prospectors Log Book :

CMDR Dommarraa has made a public copy of CMDR Eoran's Prospector's Logtemplate - and with this one you can log all your finds and share them publicly with other prospectors - helping to build up a databank on minerals and the environments they appear most abundant in:

CMDR Alex Traut's Planetary Materials Inventory :

Janichsan's Distribution Chart :

The following chart and comments are courtesy of CMDR Eoran...

"I dropped onto the surface of Metal Rich, High Metal Content, Rocky World, and Icy World types, and logged what I found and where. Here's what I found..."

"My thoughts / analysis are in the spoiler tag below..."

The data was gathered by dropping onto each surface type, deploying the buggy, and arbitrarily investigating any signals I found on the scanner until around 1/4 tank was left. Then I moved on to the next airless body type. On average I found 37 material units per planet.

It's not exactly a large scale survey, but assuming for the moment that it's representative of the respective airless body types, then it doesn't look too bad out there.

For SRV refuelling I found that the two required material types, Phosphorus and Sulphur, were most commonly found on Icy and Rocky Worlds respectively, and in the common resource node types.

For SRV repairs Metal Rich seems to be the place go, but it looks as if you can do just fine with High Metal Content and Rocky World types too. These were also in the common resource node types. You'll probably hit enough repair materials while hunting for fuel.

After visiting the 4 planets I had enough for 11 refuels and 1 basic FSD boost (+25%). Though I didn't have that much Sulphur until I went to the Rocky World. If you assume I refuelled using synthesis then that leaves about 8 refuels. I also found enough Iron and Nickel for 18 basic SRV repairs.

Note that this data is only one airless body sample point per planet type, so drawing conclusions from material distributions might be a little too early at this stage. Still, I thought I might share it in case it was useful though :)

Scanning :

CMDR J'Zargo... "From my observations I think that the different patterns (horizontal lines) show the type of the source and no so much the composition of it. Also the scanner sounds also seems to be indicating the source type and not the composition. I have now done over 30 samples with 100% consistent results so far. Here is what I have found so far:"

Natural Sources...

Bronze Chondrite
    Wave Signal
    Sound: Geiger counter clicking

Mesosiderite
    Wave signal
    Sound: Scratching/blowing sound with harmonics

Metallic Meteorite
    Sound: Scratching/blowing sound with harmonics

Outcrop (Variant 1) (Variant 2 has different signal and sound, missing screenshot)
    Sound: Geiger counter clicking

Artificial Sources...

Guarded Cargo
    Sound: Hiss with harmonics

Guarded Installation
    Sound: (sorry no notes taken yet)

Asp Scout
    Sound: (sorry no notes taken yet)

Post Link : J'Zargo's Wave Scanning

The Zieman Wave Scanner simplified :

Attachment 97208

How to prospect safely in extreme conditions - a demonstration by CMDR Akira Makasari :

Very interesting indeed.
    +1

Thanks Erimus!
    The prospects look good. (dives for cover)
    FOUNDER! (She was hiding in the ring system.)

Combat: Dangerous
    Trade: Tycoon
    Exploration: Elite (The old fashioned way)
    Federation: Lieutenant
    Empire: Viscount
    Mosquito: Mostly Annoying

Nice ! Thank you

Yesterday I've creat a global sheet (rarity is Work in progress) : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207195
    You can use it, if you want.

Founder of the Atlantis Wing & MediCorp (Fr / Eng). http://news.galnet.fr | Twitter | YT Chanel for beginners (French)

Originally Posted by aymerix View Post (Source)
    Nice ! Thank you

Yesterday I've creat a global sheet (rarity is Work in progress) : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=207195
    Excellent work

I'll link it on the main page too.

Originally Posted by aymerix View Post (Source)
    Nice ! Thank you

added to top of forum sticky too

The only objects that expose the natural rocks from the planet that I have found are outcrops. Bronzite Chondrites and Mesosiderites are meteorites too. Their contents are, literally, extraterrestrial. There seems to be no point in charting their contents by planet type, and trying to spot a pattern.

I have still not found any of the really rare stuff, but I have come across reasonable quantities of Germanium, which you need for the jumping potion. I need to do more research (AKA driving round going 'squeeeeee') by planet type, but the results I do have were pleasing.
    I landed in a big crater next to the mountain in the middle on a rocky planet. Amongst the rocks strewn around were outcrops with Germanium. I would expect 'interesting' rocks around craters because of the way craters are formed. Michael has made vague noises (good, don't want to be spoon fed) about location mattering. I must do the same check on other planet types
    Commander Chuck Schwammerl

Design Discussion Archive Index

I've only prosepected 20 worlds so far but I think I've found planets that I can consistently find materials for the standard friendship drive boost. On Pleione 3A. unlike CMDR Dommaarraa, I was able to find Vanadium and Cadmium in quantity. I've had luck finding Germanium and Niobium in Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 3. I've found enough for 3 standards boosts so far.

Finding materials for the Premium boost is harder. I've only found one Polonium, also from Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 3, and one Arsenic, on Pleione 4 and no Yttrium as yet.

If you want to concentrate on the basic boosts, both Lembava 2A and Pleione 6 have Vanadium and Germanium to spare.
    Remember Paul and Thibault de Lavigny?

This is excellent! The more data we all acquire the better. I was inspired by Katejina's findings and the recipe info from here. So, I smushed it all together into a spreadsheet to easily keep track of my findings.

Attachment 81047

It's sorted by what materials are required for explorers (info on the second sheet). The top tier (the lightest colours) are the materials required to make all of the level one exploration synths (FSD injection, AFM refill, SRV ammo, SRV repair and SRV refuel). Second tier are for the level two variants etc. Carbon and Antimony are only for ammo, so if you don't have guns you can dump those first.

I realized that something like a spreadsheet isn't exactly an optimal way to store all of this, so I have my fingers crossed that this stuff will be put into one of the big databases and then we can all collect data together and get some good statistics from a large sample size. For now, spreadsheets

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    +1 Nexolek!
    Right back at ya! I was thinking about starting a thread exactly like this. There are a good number of us that have a lot of data, but it's all separate and all different. If I knew anything about database management I'd get on it, but I don't. Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted by Nexolek View Post (Source)
    Right back at ya! I was thinking about starting a thread exactly like this. There are a good number of us that have a lot of data, but it's all separate and all different. If I knew anything about database management I'd get on it, but I don't. Anyone have any ideas?
    Yeah the data is spread all over the place at the moment, across different forums too, so I'm just trying to collate it all in one place. A single database with all we need to know would be ideal.

Any data about the best load out/ship for prospecting?
    CMDR Sebastien Ortec

Cpt of The Nigrum Porcus (Asp Explorer), The White Star (Asp), The Taurus Spatium (T6 Transport)

Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast