Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [Distant Worlds] Scouting & Exploring Coordination Tool

[Distant Worlds] Scouting & Exploring Coordination Tool

To help us avoid duplication of effort while scouting and exploring, and to assist in the handoff of systems between those roles, I've put together a Trello Team and filled it with boards.

Trello acts like a cork board to which we can pin index cards in lists. It's a very casual, collaborative tool for managing workflow that I've used both privately and professionally. Cards can be dragged between lists, notes added, and checklists tracked. They can be claimed, pictures clipped to them, and labels attached. And there are a ton of other features that make it awesome for collaborating with team members.

EDIT: 2 New Videos!

This video currently lacks background music, but does turn on game sounds when actively listening to scanner signals.

It should be stressed that the focus of this tool is to assist in the "work" of gathering data, rather than the storage and subsequent filtering of the final product. It doesn't replace spreadsheets or databases; it just helps us fill them by giving us tools to communicate goals and activities. That being said, both individual cards and entire boards can be exported in JSON format, allowing database tools to be built around the data.

This sentence is a link to the Distant Worlds Team page on Trello.

The boards will be publicly viewable, but only team members can make edits. So others will be able to watch our progress.

If you are interested in using this tool, please register a Trello account (which is free), and then use these forums to send me a private message that includes:
    • the email address or Trello account name that you registered with Trello
    • your CMDR name
    • your Distant Worlds Roster ID

And please talk about the tool here! I've set up some lists and labels that I think will be useful, but I'm open to suggestions.

Let's collaborate!

Please be aware that CMDR Akira Masakari is managing a thread as a central repository for all discoveries during the expedition, and that Trello will be used predominantly to assist coordination efforts during the collection of said data.

This is fantastic. Great demo video too.

I'm registering an account now!

I love the fact that we can post descriptions and comments on our discoveries.

Things I'm personally looking to find are great looking points of interest for the mapping project, like;

• Huge mountain ranges (I saw a dev diary video showing a mountain that was 30 kms high) -that kind of find would be great to document on there...
    • Deep canyons
    • Unusual geological features
    • Gigantic impact craters

...and also of massive importance are worlds that contain the rarer Jumponium materials -

• Polonium
    • Yttrium
    • Niobium
    • Cadmium

If we could locate those worlds and pin their locations to the Trello board as and when we find them, it will be a great help to commanders who need synth-fuel.

I will say this now: I love this community. The desire to help each other have the most awesome exploration experience seems to know no bounds.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    I will say this now: I love this community. The desire to help each other have the most awesome exploration experience seems to know no bounds.
    +1

I've been amazed at all the support that's been offered and at seeing all the great ideas players have come up with and implemented!

Great idea! Is there a way to highlight places where useful resources/materials have been found?

Looks like a good tool to enhance detail and collaboration.

My only concern is how searchable are the entries? For example, if we want to find all the ELWs or all the M class stars with landable worlds, how do we drill down to that level of granular detail?
    Zenith Ddraiglas - Surveyor - Scientist - Explorer Nadir Ffenics - Outlander Challenger - Imgur album
    ||||||||| TRIPLE ||||||||| ELITE ||||||||| Novice ||||||||| Broker ||||||||| Ranger |||||||||
    "I don't feel homesick, because I'm already at home in the stars."

Awesome tool!!! +Repped!! Will be creating account soon!!

This is excellent!

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    ...and also of massive importance are worlds that contain the rarer Jumponium materials -

• Polonium
    • Yttrium
    • Niobium
    • Cadmium

If we could locate those worlds and pin their locations to the Trello board as and when we find them, it will be a great help to commanders who need synth-fuel.
    I was wondering how us prospectors would relay our findings to the fleet. A one stop shop like this is absolutely perfect. Signing up now.

Good idea, but this will be accessible for all expedition members?
    Of course it could be accessible, but I'm thinking at 250+ people, that are suggested to have a skype chat, a teamspeak account, to possibly install EDD or other tools, and also to register and post on trello.
    I think that we should have also a plain and simple forum thread where cartographic data is dumped and organizd in a simple chart on the OP. So everyone that simply uses the forum can have access to cartographic data.
    I was about to make that thread, waiting for Horizon to release, but making several threads on the same subject with same heading will only be confusing.
    My suggestion is: the expedition was born on the forum, and many people have fantastic ideas, but we are overcomplicating the expedition with 3rd party tool, while the CMDRs that signed up come from this forum.

I've never subscribed to that many internet tools in such a short period and I'm starting to loose my mind.

Also, altough it's written in stone that there are no leaders, I think some sort of coordination is required. I was waiting for the FGE to make their cartographic thread and see how I could integrate it with mine, now i guess it's too late.

So basically congratulations with the OP for the idea, but seeing the dimension the expedition is becoming, I'm starting to feel we should use some coordination and collaboration also on threads and accessibility of the data the expedition will create.

Originally Posted by CMDR AKIRA MASAKARI View Post (Source)
    Of course it could be accessible, but I'm thinking at 250+ people, that are suggested to have a skype chat, a teamspeak account, to possibly install EDD or other tools, and also to register and post on trello.
    I think that we should have also a plain and simple forum thread where cartographic data is dumped and organizd in a simple chart on the OP. So everyone that simply uses the forum can have access to cartographic data.
    I was about to make that thread, waiting for Horizon to release, but making several threads on the same subject with same heading will only be confusing.
    My suggestion is: the expedition was born on the forum, and many people have fantastic ideas, but we are overcomplicating the expedition with 3rd party tool, while the CMDRs that signed up come from this forum.

I've never subscribed to that many internet tools in such a short period and I'm starting to loose my mind.

Also, altough it's written in stone that there are no leaders, I think some sort of coordination is required. I was waiting for the FGE to make their cartographic thread and see how I could integrate it with mine, now i guess it's too late.

So basically congratulations with the OP for the idea, but seeing the dimension the expedition is becoming, I'm starting to feel we should use some coordination and collaboration also on threads and accessibility of the data the expedition will create.

You should set up that thread because not everyone will want to use third party tools when logging info. This forum will probably be where the majority will want to share their discoveries as the 3rd party stuff will only appeal to those that are into that kind of thing. I see Trello as a simple online notebook that can be updated right there and then as we scan worlds and travel around the POIs... At the end of any particular waypoint meetup the notes from it can then be transferred to your thread if that works for you?

At the end of the day its about options, and as you rightly pointed out there's probably enough out there now, the only thing missing is a place to collate all the info from whatever means people are using to log it, and have all that info in one place and on public display in the explorers forum. As far as I know the FGE will make a thread primarily to use for organizing exploration meetups, and post their own schedules for the group that follows the main fleet after stage 1, and will probably add info in there linking to google doc sheets of FGE exploration data for the deeper research the group undertakes.

Hopefully when Dr Kaii gets back he can set up a sticky and put everything in one place so the forum doesn't get too swamped with one event.

And I was just about to post the FGE cartographic thread this very minute

EDIT2: removed a redundant link

Originally Posted by starry View Post (Source)
    Great idea! Is there a way to highlight places where useful resources/materials have been found?
    There are a couple of possibilities, but we still need to figure out a best practice for this particular project. The primary mechanic in Trello for filtering cards is to through the use of labels. Each board has a Show Menu slide-out panel on the left that includes a Filter option, that operates on labels. So we probably need to focus on labels that relate to resource discoveries more than on planet-types.

Originally Posted by Zenith View Post (Source)
    Looks like a good tool to enhance detail and collaboration.

My only concern is how searchable are the entries? For example, if we want to find all the ELWs or all the M class stars with landable worlds, how do we drill down to that level of granular detail?
    This isn't really the tool for that kind of thing. As noted in the OP this is a tool to help us acquire the data, not to organize it. Trello is intended to make sure that people aren't duplicating effort (e.g., multiple people scouting the same system) and to make it easy to pass scouting notes on to explorers for additional processing; again without duplicating effort.

Any process that we hash out that involves permanently tracking "final results" acquired by the surface explorers, will still require adding that info to a spreadsheet or database.

I wouldn't expect all expedition members to join, as it's mainly a tool for coordinating effort made by two groups: cartographers and prospectors. Here's an analogous conversation that this tool will provide.

Code:
    Scout A: I've got this system.
    Scout B: Cool, I'll go over there.
    Scout A: This place isn't worth anyone's time.
    Scout B: Too bad.  I found 2 landable metallics, 3 rocks, and 12 iceballs.  About half have quality features!
    Prospector C: Neat! I'll take a look.
    Prospector D: I can help, too, if you want.
    Originally Posted by Corbin Moran View Post (Source)
    And I was just about to post the FGE cartographic thread this very minute

I have been delaying it, because I wanted it to be all polished and shiny - now Im just gonna post it and spiff it up later.

Nothing is too late. You are right, that we should not have too many threads though. While this thread is about a specific tool and how to use it, that information can easily be made available in a main cartographics thread.
    Agreed. Using this tool is optional, and this thread is mostly for discussing its use, not to track the results of that use.

With regards to the "do we expect everyone to sign up for third party tools" question, Trello is nice because you can set boards to be public, and public boards don't require you to sign in to view them. So the only people who'd need Trello accounts would be the prospectors and cartographers who edit cards. For everyone else, it's just a convenient presentation of useful data

"I have loved the stars too fiercely to be fearful of the night"
    Explorer with the FGE and member of the Colonia Citizens Network.
    Avoid crashing! Easy landings with one control remapping!

So working through the process in my head, I'm thinking that the best use of labels on cards is to give the prospectors a visual clue to how much work a given system will be to process.

Name:  dw_trello_labels.PNG
Views: 2410
Size:  22.9 KB

Cartographer Operations

1. Go into a system.
    2. Fire Advanced Discovery Scanner.
    3. Screenshot the System Map and attach to card.
    4. Note the number of Landfall Planets, and label the card accordingly.
    5. Add a checklist of the Landfall Planets to the card.
    6. Do a flyby of each Landfall Planet, and make notes in the card.

Prospector Operations
    1. Decide how many Landfall Planets you want to tackle.
    2. Look for a system based on the color-coded labels and % complete bar (if partially prospected).
    3. Pick a system based on how interesting the notes look.
    4. Go to the system.
    5. Prospect Landfall Planets, checking them off the card list as you do.
    6. Record discoveries in other tools used by the expedition.
    7. If you don't finish the system this session, put the card back in the "Needs Explored" list.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast