View Poll Results: Choose 3 of the following options

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 Cassius: - Shot For Shot

9 56.25%
  • 02 Philip: - Coutts Flashheart's Big One! Woof Woof!

4 25.00%
  • 03 azdour: - A Dedicated Brotherhood

2 12.50%
  • 04 Splendour: - Burrial

5 31.25%
  • 05 Frank: - Gordon is a Moron

6 37.50%
  • 06 Ian Phillips: - Dinner with the Captain

12 75.00%
  • 07 Darkoba: - Dinner party

5 31.25%
  • 08 W4rSkuLL: - John`s baptism

2 12.50%
  • 09 insanephoton: - Wedding nerves

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: Ceremony

Drabble Poll: Ceremony

It's that time of the week again. The time to put on your glad rags and come out to watch this weeks guest compere read out the nominations for Drabble of the Week.

The list is shorter this week due to <hurrumph> complications. Please join me in a round of applause to show our appreciation for all those who took the effort to contribute.

And so without further ado...

1. Cassius: - Shot For Shot

It had become a ritual, a private ceremony between him and the bartender. Each kill toasted with a shot of bourbon. 6400 shots later and all it meant was more young pups coming after him, eager to boast that they’d taken down an ‘Elite’. They never did, never got close. So he took his shot and tried not to think of their blood on his hands.

One day the ceremony would stop, and it would be a different pilot on this stool. Someone younger and faster on the stick. But not today.

He set the glass down and ordered another.

2. Philip: - Coutts Flashheart's Big One! Woof Woof!

Flashheart hated ceremonies of any sort and this one promised to be the most crushingly dull he had ever attended. Another medal to be pinned on his heroic chest for services to the Empire, it was almost too easy.

The Emperors daughter sashayed over to Flashheart and whispered something into his ear, something naughty, perverted and unrepeatable.

A wicked grin spread across his face “Well I never!” Leered Flashheart “Woof and indeed woof again!”

Flashheart finally appeared on stage to receive his award looking somewhat shambolic but incredibly smug.

“This is a big one” he roared “Am I right ladies…….!!!”

3. Azdour: - A Dedicated Brotherhood

Our path is a dangerous one. Space is a fickle mistress that is quick to punish.

We can only nurture our own destiny so far.

But as we edged out into the galaxy the connectivity between us started to fade.

So began our ceremony of messages to celebrate the path we tread. Messages bringing updates and news of those who were still alive.

But time passes fast and we are getting fewer and fewer.

Space feels no guilt towards the deaths it has and will bring to our brothers.

Who is this group?

Those that remain....... are called the Ironmen.

4. Splendour: - Burrial

"And so we consign this body to the black."

He flipped a switch and with a clunk the airlock cycled. A new contact appeared on the scanners, cooling rapidly as it drifted off to join the debris of the rings of the unnamed gas giant.

Dax sighed and moved over to the pilot's seat, taking another swig from a bulb of slash. Why did he have to pick the crazy ones? He glanced across to the empty copilot's seat, the blood still congealing on it. It was going to be a long, lonely trip home, but a blessedly quiet one.

5. Frank: - Gordon is a Moron

Joan sat wordlessly on the front pew staring at the altar. The evidence of tears long since cried were on her face. The wedding party were getting restless, Strumming their fingers and checking their watches.

There's the scream of a landing Fer-De-Lance from outside and Gordon runs in. He pants breathlessly "I'm sorry I'm so late but I couldn't leave the commodities market. It was the deal of a lifetime. Just look at our joint account!" He passes a display over to his distraught bride.

Joan dashes the display to the floor and cries "I don't want this 'sorry' money!"

6. Ian Phillips: - Dinner with the Captain

He tugged the corners of his jacket, straightening the ruffles out. Glancing round he saw that his wife had emerged from the dressing room, clad in voluminous baggy trousers that imitated the style of a dress whilst still being practical in zero-G.

She attached mag-boot slip-overs that matched her outfit and, looking up, smiled.

"I'm ready. First night, dinner with the Captian is always such a ceremony"

Making their way to the Beluga's main dining room they waited for the usher.

He opened the door, triggering spotlights and music.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain and her husband. Please be seated"

7. Darkoba: - Dinner party

George was excitedly expecting his first guests in months. He’d been away, trading, and had made a lot of profit. He’d also been given a gift, a Tislean sloth-cat. He was told it was named ‘Ceremony’ for some strange reason.

He looked at his watch as the hatch bell chimed.

“They’re here.” He said to the unmoving sloth-cat. He bent down and stroked its head as he went to the hatch. The sloth-cat remained, splayed out on the floor like a rug.

He greeted his guests enthusiastically.

“Come in. Make yourselves at home. Be yourselves. Don’t stand on the cat.”

8. W4rSkuLL: - John`s baptism

The euphoria of hyperspace.
    Your mind trying to digest all the expressions from the illusions outside the ship.

With a bang the gathering exited outside the extraction fields of the Gold Banquet asteroids in the Radan system.

Com´s crackling, "Let the ceremonies begin", "Elva, you are first", Lord Travious voice hammered through the com´s.

A shark toothed Eagle boosted towards the first victim. Elva swooped over her prey, and the Sidewinder popped with a sudden silvery glare.

"Scoop cargo", " Good!"

Silence.

"John, your next".

Sweaty palms gripped around the flight controls.

"John, don´t disappoint me."

Hard points deployed. Full throttle!

9. insanephoton: - Wedding nerves

A couple stand outside of the Port Zelada registry office.

'Are you sure you want this, Selena? We could save up and do it properly. You know, the pretty dress, the cake, invite all our relations, the whole works.'

'John Mapletree, you big lunk, even if that was what I wanted, we couldn't afford it. We can barely afford the finance on our ship as it is. It's you that I want, nothing else matters. Anyway our families hate each other and I don't like wedding cake.'

'Are you two ready? The registrar is waiting.'

'Ready darling?'

'Yes my love.'

Hard choice this week, well done drabblers.

“Come in. Make yourselves at home. Be yourselves. Don’t stand on the cat."

I could have ended with "Don't stand on ceremony.", but then it would only have been 99 words. Thanks to those who got it and held back their groans long enough to vote for it. :smilie:

This week offers a small but very entertaining collection, and it is still just as difficult to make the right choices.

Thanks for hosting, Frank. Great job.

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    “Come in. Make yourselves at home. Be yourselves. Don’t stand on the cat."

I could have ended with "Don't stand on ceremony.", but then it would only have been 99 words. ...
    ... And it would have been to obvious
    Glad you did it the way you did.

Originally Posted by Razorwire View Post (Source)
    ... And it would have been to obvious
    Glad you did it the way you did.
    Many thanks

You got an 8 on the groanmeter this week.

Frank got a 'Huh?', until I twigged what the pun was. Then I left the room.....

I thought Frank's was exceptional this week, a true work of art in fact. I still chuckle every time I read "sorry money"

Anyway who will I be handing the virtual trophy onto next, will it be Cassius or Ian? I will warn the winner, this thing smells a bit now and lord knows what the green sticky stuff on it is........

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    You got an 8 on the groanmeter this week.

Frank got a 'Huh?', until I twigged what the pun was. Then I left the room.....
    Only 8??? Maybe I'm slipping (or improving? Last week was a 9).

And then a 'Huh'???? No stayin' power, that's yer problem!

EDIT: On the other hand, looking at the way your vote score is soaring, maybe you have a valid point.

Originally Posted by Philip Coutts View Post (Source)
    I will warn the winner, this thing smells a bit now and lord knows what the green sticky stuff on it is........
    Green sticky stuff?

Everybody knows that the green wine gums don't have the nicest flavour, and I may, I say MAY, have left some in the pocket some time back. I'd have thought the chemical sprays and hyperspace travel would have sorted that out, though.

If it's not green wine gums, then you should immediately report to E & A at your nearest medical post.

exercise your democratic right

The voting ain't over yet folks!

If you haven't voted yet, go pick your three favourite short stories from the above assortment. You've still got a few hours left to vote.

Woohoo I got another vote. Only another 8 and I could catch Ian

Nice win there Ian, and a lovely clutch of Drabbles all round.

Shall try to pull my finger out and come up with something this week...

Do we have a topic yet?

Well done Ian. That was a decisive win.

I'm looking forward to your entry Rog. I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to think of something whilst waiting to come out of SuperCruise, or waiting for those darned docking traffic controllers to decide which landing pad they're going to assign you.

Well, thank you everyone for the votes.

I have been busy this weekend, what with fathers day and spending time in outside in the sunshine.

I'll get my thinking cap on and will decide on a topic .....soon

Now, where did I leave it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast