Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Distant Worlds]FGE Astrographics Department - Maps, Charts, Posters, Etc.

[Distant Worlds]FGE Astrographics Department - Maps, Charts, Posters, Etc.

Welcome to the Astrographics Department for the Distant Worlds Expedition.

This thread is for collecting and producing all kinds of maps, charts, guides, posters or similar to help with navigation on the Distant Worlds Expedition.

Feel free to post your own contributions in the thread and Ill make an effort to keep the OP updated.

For the latest meet-up schedule for the exploration wings, go here.

Map Poster:

A poster showing the entire route of the expedition:

Full Size (6000x9682, 46.6MB)

Map of the Sagittarius Gap (covers the area until Lagoon Nebula)

The brightest stars in the Sagittarius constellation has been highlighted on this map, and one thing that really amazes me, is how we will litterally be flying out through the Sagittarius constellation when we are leaving civilization on the DW expedition. Sagitarrius A* is also located in this constellation (hence the name), and so is Beagle Point and many of the other camps we will be visiting as we cross the galaxy.

Most of the stars in Sagittarius constellation that are visible to the naked eye are quite close - between 97 and a few hundred light years from earth. There are however a few notable exceptions:

46 Upsilon Sagittarii, a blue supergiant star, is located 1749 lights years from earth. It is star number 21 in the constellation, ranked by apparent brightness as seen from earth. It is well situated on the route from Shapley 1 towards Lagoon nebula. In this system you will find some excelent views of the ringed planets. If these are now landable you are in for a treat! Be sure to take a look on your way towards Lagoon Nebula. I will hosting an explorers meet-up to visit this and other POIs in this area on saturday jan. 16th, 18.00 IGT.

13 Mu Sagittarii, is another blue supergiant star. This one is located a staggering 36240 lights years from earth - which is absolutely CRAZY when you consider it is the 13th brightest star in Sagittarius when seen from Earth. Number 12 is Manubrij (a yellow giant 142 LY from Earth) and number 14 is 44 Rho-1 Sagittarii (a white subgiant 127 LY from Earth). 13 Mu Sagittarii must be incredibly bright, to be able to share app. the same apparent brightness as these two stars that are so much closer to Earth. I would sure like to visit this system if the route doesnt deviate too much from the DW camps - and if anybody has allready been out there I would be really eager to hear what you have found there!

Note: This map was made for the Sagittarius-Carina mission, but it also covers the area we will be travelling through on the earliest stages of the DW expedition.
    It shows some major and minor POIs as well as all recorded nebulae in that area (if you find something I´ve missed let me know). The map is also available as map SC-01 in EDDiscovery.

POIs on this map:

* = POI´s added by members of the FGE Sagittarius-Carina Mission
    All other POI´s from the Galactic Mapping registry.

Major POI´s

The Aucocks Pocket
    POI Type: Exploration Hazard (Medium)
    Band of Brown Dwarf and T-Tauri sectors on the near edge of the Sagittarius Gap, approx. 2,000 - 2,500 LYs from Sol. The Aucocks Pocket is the first navigational hazard explorers encounter when traveling coreward. Commanders are advised to plot a route at least 100 LYs above the galactic plane when approaching the Sagittarius Gap as this is usually sufficient to avoid the Aucocks Pocket.

The Cat's Paw Nebula (NGC 6334)
    Game map search ref. : CAT'S PAW
    POI Type: Visual
    A distinctive red and orange nebula situated on the near side of the Sagittarius arm, approx. 5,500 LYs from Sol and almost directly inline between Sol and NGC 6357.

Parrot's Head Nebula *
    Game map search ref. : Parrot's Head
    POI Type: Marked Nebula
    Maroon-coloured nebula - doesn't appear to have any stars too close.

PW2010 Super Cluster
    Game map search ref: PW2010 210
    Close to Omega Nebula this large cluster consists of many A and B class stars, with several accompanying black holes and neutron stars embedded within it.

Thor's Eye
    Game map search reference: THOR'S EYE
    POI Type: Scientific
    Black Hole system situated approx. 250 LYs 'south' of the Lagoon Nebula. Thor's Eye is situated in the middle of an open cluster named NGC 6530 composed mainly by B stars and few A. There's an A white-blue supergiant (HD 164865) and many B that have neutron stars or black holes in the system.

Traikaae AA-A H2 Nebula *
    Game map search ref. : Traikaae AA-A H2
    POI Type: Nebula
    Bright orange procedurally generated nebula with no features of particular interest.

V945 Scorpii Open Star Cluster
    Game map search ref. : V945 SCORPII
    Very bright cluster of blue stars on the near fringe of the Sagittarius Arm. In addition to bright blue B- and O-class stars, the cluster also contains several neutron stars and black holes.

Minor POI´s:

Cycladia *
    Game map search ref : Blu Thua GI-B b55-2
    POI Type: Earth-like world, visual
    Beautiful ringed planet to visit from orbit (but you really don´t want to go planetside here... trust me). The rings however, are orbiting so fast it is visible to the naked eye.

Coldfriend
    Game map search ref : Traijaae PI-B D13-236
    POI Type: Earth-like world
    A three-star system featuring a single class IV gas giant in extreme close orbit. The orbiting giant, despite its proximity to its parent star, has a surface temperature of only 819K - making it one of the coldest planets of its type currently known.

D70-2 *
    Game map search ref : BLEIA EOHN YZ-K B14-6
    Earth-like world, but not really suitable for initial colonisation.

D70-3 *
    Game map search ref : Cat's Paw Sector GR-W D1-34
    Earth-like world, but not really suitable for initial colonisation.

Dancing Djinn *
    Game map search ref. : Droju G0-C c15-5 B
    A system containing a binary pair in close embrace. At a distance of only 5 ls they complete their orbit in just 8 hours. The larger of the pair is four times as heavy (0.82 solar masses) as the smaller (0.2 solar masses).

Delos *
    Game map search ref. : Droju UA-D D13-9 5
    The system contains a rather cold Earth-like world with silicate geysers, a water world with life and a high-metal terraform candidate. The remaining stellar bodies are five high-metal planets. The system is located in the constellation Sagittarius (the archer) and have a spectacular view of the nearby Thor's Eye cluster forming an arrow pointing at the Lagoon Nebula. It is named after the birthplace of the mythological archers Apollo and Artemis.

The Doppelgangers *
    Game map search ref. : Tr 24 Sector IW-V d2-15
    POI Type: Earthlike worlds
    A pair of earthlike planets.

DX70-1 *
    Game map search ref : Traikee SQ-C B55-0
    POI Type: Ammonia World
    Ammonia world - no signs of inhabitation on night side.

Leda *
    Game map search ref. : Praea EUQ ks-J D9-14
    POI Type: Dueling Earth-likes
    Two Earth Likes orbiting one another:Terra-Castor and Terra-Pollux (planet 6 and 7) As well as a Water World: Tyndareus and various high metal content worlds including two terraformable. Cmdr Eson has expressed serious plans to one day colonize and develop this system after the expedition.

Lerna *
    Game map search ref. : TRAIKAAE AL-F d11-2
    POI Type: Rare discovery
    The system contains three water worlds. Named after a region in ancient Greece where Poseidon struck the
    earth with his trident, thus causing three springs to come out.

Little Ghost *
    Game map search ref. : Little Ghost
    POI Type: Planetary Nebula
    A planetary nebula in the constellation Ophiuchus. It was discovered by William Herschel. At the centre of the Little Ghost Nebula is a wolf-raynet star of 0.46 solar masses catalogued as HD 158269

Ortygia *
    Game map search ref. : Smojai IN-B d13-57
    POI Type: Earth-like world, possible tourism candidate.
    A nice vacation spot for tourists who want to enjoy a low-G environment? Earth masses: 0.46, Surface temp: 295K, Surface pressure: 0.80 atm, No volcanism, Atmosphere suitable for water-based life: 79.4% nitrogen, 19.5% oxygen, 1.1% water, Orbital period: 314.1 D, Axial tilt: 21.67 deg.

Owls Garden
    Game map search ref. : BLO EURL AA-A HO
    POI Type: N/A
    Region within the central Sagittarius arm where an explorer became disoriented due to fatigue and transmitted the following cryptic message back to his home base of Zende; "..late at night after scanning for some hours, when the eyes get tired and the nebula of good wine befogs the mind, the letters began to move and reorder themselves. When home sickness let me zoom to Zende and my view turned back to the little peak that denoted my position, a faint gray writing appeared above the Sagittarius Arm. Like the words "Achenar" or "Sol" give the daring explorer the warmth of a domestic hearth fire, these words denoted the foreign mysteries I was chasing: Owls Garden"

Shapley 1
    (embedded within the Fine Ring Nebula)
    Game map search ref. : SHAPLEY 1
    Blue Wolf-Rayet Star, 1,000 LYs from Sol.

Maps for DW (wip):

As the expedition progresses, the aim is also to produce a series of high-resolution maps of each stage.
    These can be used as they are, or loaded into EDDiscovery to allow you to track your progress as you go along:

Map DW-4: The Far Galactic Rim

Map DW-3: Galactic Aphelion

Map DW-2: Galactic Core Regions

Map DW-1: Orion Spur and The Norma Expanse

TO DO for each of these maps:
    - add grid and coordinates (DW-1, DW-2, DW-3 done)
    - add Distant Worlds Waypoints, including 300LY and 500LY radius markers (DW-1, DW-2, DW-3 done)
    - add major regions (name of galactic arms, etc)
    - add major POIs from galactic mapping project
    - add minor POIs from galactic mapping project (not likely to happen before expedition launches due to time constraints)

Honestly, once the time requirements to cross the galaxy starts to be felt, I will probably not be able to do much more work on these maps... But even if they only end up showing the grid and the locations of the DW camps, I hope they will be an asset to any explorer trying to get his bearing out there in the bright and black.

A few other threads thats also about astrographics - though in slightly different ways :

Flying through the galaxy at the speed on an Asp

Proposal of an intuitive Galactic Cartographics system

Superb!

This is something I hope we can make FD aware of and ask them to use in any promotional content they have planned for Distant Worlds.

Fantastic work Corbin

That's an awesome map / poster. It really demonstrates just how far Beagle Point is from the core, I mean it's really just hanging out there and isolated.

Can't frack'n wait to get there!

I want to print this out and stick pins in it. Really brings the route alive on a galactic scale.

Woops - I forgot the logo for one of the player groups supporting the expedition. A new version will be uploaded once I have added that…

That's a brilliant piece of galactic artwork. Looking forward to filling it with lots of details with you guys. :-)

Added to sticky... and yes, this and galactic stitched map are excellent work

This is great CMDR!!! Looks awesome!!

Thanks for including us!!

SEPP logo has been added

It's beatifull! Once home I'll link to the prospecting public srvice thread.

Absolutely awesome work. This is going to be beyond epic.

Spectacular work, truly.

Z...

Maps DW-1, DW-2 and DW-3 updated with grid, DW waypoints and route.

We're coming up on departure date for Distant Worlds. A record-breaking number of pilots - 600 of them at this moment - will be setting out from Pallaeni and making our first rendezvous the following day near Shapley 1. Since this is the first deep space rendezvous for us, I've made a guide showing where we'll be meeting.

Basecamp 1, Laika's Rest, is located on Fine Ring Sector JH-V C2-4 A 1. This is a small planet with a light gravity, so it's an easy one to land on, and it's only about 73 ls from the arrival point in the system.

The coordinates of the base camp are -19 / 85, near the center of a prominent crater on the planet. This set of images shows the location of the base camp as you approach the planet.

I hope to see you all there Friday!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast