View Poll Results: Should 'Out of the Darkness' have a cover that takes style cues from:

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primarily the Gollancz novels

0 0%
  • Primarily the Fantastic Books novels

2 9.09%
  • Neither. I should work up a polished version of the present draft cover

5 22.73%
  • Attempt something completely different, so the book stands out

12 54.55%
  • Combine G & FB styles so mine provides a nice visual transition between the 2 on a collector's shelf

3 13.64%

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Cover Design - for collectors, what do you want to see?

Cover Design - for collectors, what do you want to see?

Over the past year, the universe of Elite fiction has divided into two camps, Gollancz and Fantastic Books. Each publisher has their own design/style take on Elite: Dangerous...

Gollancz:

and Fantastic Books:

Right now, my rough-draft version looks like this:

This is a true indie book, which means I have full creative control. So, as readers and potential collectors, I wonder what you would like to see on the cover of Out of the Darkness? (The cover will be the same for the ebook and print editions.) To find out, I put together the survey above.

I like your draft cover, but I would center the elements - I haven't seen many novels with right or left-aligned titles or author names and it looks a bit out-of-place to my eye.

I'd find a graphic artist grad with some talent (and trying to get work on the net to put in their portfolio) and see what they come up with. Dare to be different. and stand out. thats what you want on a bookstore shelf.

So, one vote for draft and one for GO LARGE! (shouted with in a London Lager Lad voice). Anyone else?

Go message/email Josh Atack.
    Designer of multiple worlds - Elite Dangerous Official Fiction (Concept Writer, Official Author), Chaos Reborn (World Designer, Official Author) and the Wisimir Tales (Author)
    Lave Radio co-host.
    Now writing lore for the Elite Dangerous Roleplaying game. Find my new official EDRPG story, The Unexpected Guest
    British Fantasy Society Journal Editor. Zombie Expert for Total Film and SFX Magazine.
    http://www.allenstroud.com

Originally Posted by Allen Stroud View Post (Source)
    Best idea yet! :smilie:

Pecisk - "I will sound as broken record, but this won't change." David Braben - "So some news - we will be reversing this change shortly"

Originally Posted by Allen Stroud View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by jabokai View Post (Source)
    Best idea yet! :smilie:
    I'll explore that possibility, but the present cover is already Josh's work. :smilie:

8. This is the last staff post in this thread. #8
    No don't! He's not to be trusted!

Originally Posted by Josh Atack View Post (Source)
    He'll only draw you some sort of space badger!

Originally Posted by Josh Atack View Post (Source)
    Originally Posted by Philip Coutts View Post (Source)
    He'll only draw you some sort of space badger!
    That's a brilliant idea! I shall re-write my entire story! A space-badger... three-hundred klicks long, lilac, with an appetite for coriolis stations. Awesome.

You could be on to a winner there keep it flowing. :smilie:

FWIW, I rather like the current one you've got.

Originally Posted by Rog View Post (Source)
    FWIW, I rather like the current one you've got.
    Thanks, Rog, keeping it and polishing it up is still a possibility.

Hmm, tricky choice. I think your draft cover is similar to FB covers, which is a compliment! If you keep it I'm not sure about the fonts and especially the effect with your name, a bit too fussy for my taste.

So polishing what you have is a definite option.

On the other hand, trying something completely different is attractive. How many book covers can the market support with star backgrounds and lens flares on moon / planet horizons ...

I'll get off the fence in a minute and vote!

BTW congratulations on getting to Frontier submission stage. Nearly there and I'm sure you'll be ready for the official game launch

Originally Posted by Fermats Folly View Post (Source)
    Hmm, tricky choice. I think your draft cover is similar to FB covers, which is a compliment! If you keep it I'm not sure about the fonts and especially the effect with your name, a bit too fussy for my taste.

So polishing what you have is a definite option.

On the other hand, trying something completely different is attractive. How many book covers can the market support with star backgrounds and lens flares on moon / planet horizons ...

I'll get off the fence in a minute and vote!

BTW congratulations on getting to Frontier submission stage. Nearly there and I'm sure you'll be ready for the official game launch
    If I keep the current design, the fonts are something I'm definitely going to look at. Whether I substitute the current design for something else depends on me being able to find something that works better. I'm still looking.

As for release, I'm aiming for as soon as possible, and I'll be disappointed if I can't make the official game release. I'd like to get it out before, but it depends on several unknowns, the approval not the least of them.