Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UA Repository - UA shell and barnacle site visualisation

UA Repository - UA shell and barnacle site visualisation

Hello Commanders,

I'm working on a site to provide visual representation to the collected UA and barnacle encounters.

Link: http://entim.no-ip.org/ed/uarepository/shell

Current features:
    • Visualisation of the shell
    • Visualisation of barnacle positions
    • Register your UA encounter
    • Download UA data

Name:  shell.png
Views: 357
Size:  833.6 KB

Name:  planet.png
Views: 322
Size:  622.6 KB

I'd love to hear your feedback. Please leave it in this thread.

entim

Known issues
    None at the moment

Planned features

Pick up new barnacle sites from NetSlayer's spreadsheet.

Changes
    • [2016-04-16] - Display negative encounters on the statistics page.
    • [2016-02-21] - List systems without coordinates, link to EDSM. Enable compression.
    • [2016-02-14] - Daily DB backup. Daily EDSM coordinate lookup for encounters registered at unknown systems.
    • [2016-02-13] - Toggleable background and system types.
    • [2016-02-03] - Fixed coordinate system handedness issue. Star systems are no more mirrored on the YZ plane compared to ED.

Nicely done!

What's a "negative UA encounter"?

Have barnacles only been found in 3 systems? I know it's a small sample size, but the 3 do seem to be in a straight line which is interesting.

Thanks.

Negative encounter is when you are in a system expected to spawn UAs - in the shell - but it doesn't spawn any.

Originally Posted by entim View Post (Source)
    Thanks.

Negative encounter is when you are in a system expected to spawn UAs - in the shell - but it doesn't spawn any.
    First - Very nicely done !

Just a theory I have ... its not a shell in that any system between 135- 150 will spawn UAs ... but rather there is a Happy Number ( maybe around 140) where on any given vector the closest system to that Happy number is where the UAs show up.

While the background star field is pretty, is it necessary? A lot of the points get drowned out by the star field and its difficult to make out patterns and such with extra dots to connect.

Also being able to toggle the different colored dots on and off would help as the numbers increase as its hard to find the dots your looking for among the other dots.

Great looking product though. Was just telling a wing mate earlier how it would be great to have a tool such as this one.

Originally Posted by Herkfixer View Post (Source)
    While the background star field is pretty, is it necessary? A lot of the points get drowned out by the star field and its difficult to make out patterns and such with extra dots to connect.

Also being able to toggle the different colored dots on and off would help as the numbers increase as its hard to find the dots your looking for among the other dots.

Great looking product though. Was just telling a wing mate earlier how it would be great to have a tool such as this one.
    The background star field has two purposes:
    1. to provide orientation to the viewer, to be aware of the galactic plane
    2. to aesthetically please

These are not critical.

Making the different types of systems and the background toggleable is definitely doable. I've added them to the planned features.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by simulacrae View Post (Source)
    First - Very nicely done !

Just a theory I have ... its not a shell in that any system between 135- 150 will spawn UAs ... but rather there is a Happy Number ( maybe around 140) where on any given vector the closest system to that Happy number is where the UAs show up.
    Thanks simulacrae!

If I don't misunderstand it, then the theory can be verified if we find a vector which doesn't have any systems falling in the shell on it's line. If we find UAs in the nearest system to the happy number on that vector, then the theory is correct. There are an infinite number of such vectors though. We should've already found free floater UAs outside of the shell if the theory is correct.

Originally Posted by entim View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders,

I'm working on a site to provide visual representation to the collected UA and barnacle encounters.

Link: http://entim.no-ip.org/ed/uarepository/shell

Current features:
    • Visualisation of the shell
    • Visualisation of barnacle positions
    • Register your UA encounter
    • Download UA data

Name:  shell.png
Views: 357
Size:  833.6 KB

Name:  planet.png
Views: 322
Size:  622.6 KB

I'd love to hear your feedback. Please leave it in this thread.

entim
    entim, your is TOP WORK.
    And I'm saying it from a developer perspective as well.
    RESPECT.

Originally Posted by rizal72 View Post (Source)
    entim, your is TOP WORK.
    And I'm saying it from a developer perspective as well.
    RESPECT.
    Thanks a lot Rizal, and also thank you for featuring it on the front page!

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    Nicely done!

What's a "negative UA encounter"?

Have barnacles only been found in 3 systems? I know it's a small sample size, but the 3 do seem to be in a straight line which is interesting.
    A rather straight line, but I agree more of a sample would be good to define that pattern, even if it ends up being the nucleus of the shell rather than a line.

Brilliant piece of work entim.

I think that a legend to tell the difference between the systems would be useful. From what I could gather:

Green: Confirmed
    Red: Negative
    Purple: Barnacle?
    White: Negative/Discovered system outside the bubble
    Yellow: Pleiades System

Are these right?

Never mind. Found the legend.

Did you code the map viewer yourself? Even though I'm using my iPad browser at the moment, yours is far and away the best I've used on any platform in terms of graphical performance, responsiveness, ease of use, etc.

Originally Posted by spameroo View Post (Source)
    Did you code the map viewer yourself? Even though I'm using my iPad browser at the moment, yours is far and away the best I've used on any platform in terms of graphical performance, responsiveness, ease of use, etc.
    Thanks Spameroo, I'm glad you like it. I used the Three.js WebGL library, and tried to keep things simple and performant.

Can we edit or correct a report?

I submitted HIP 23228 as false negative.
    SpocksOddSocks confirmed UA's there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast