Page 1 of 5 123 Last

Thread: Subsystems! Everything you know or don't know about subsystems!

Lightbulb Subsystems! Everything you know or don't know about subsystems!

Subsystems:

The Basics:

Let's run down the basic subsystems that every ship seems to come with!

1. Power Plant
    2. Power Distribution
    3. Cargo Scoop
    4. Life-Support
    5. Shield Generator
    6. Weapons/Utilities
    7. Drives
    8. Frameshift-Drive

Let's start with the most important subsystem first!

Power Plant:

The location of the power-plant module varies from ship to ship, but generally the power plant is located directly behind the cockpit. I say this is the most important subsystem on a persons ship because if this module is destroyed, your ship will also be destroyed! It's an excellent module to target if your goal is to quickly execute your prey, for example, bounty hunting or taking part in the combat scenarios. This module is generally difficult to hit because it is usually located on the top or bottom of the ship meaning you have to be approaching from a very specific direction to get a direct shot.

Power Distribution:

This ship module controls how much power you give to systems, your engine or your weapons. Should the module be disabled, your weapons, engine and systems will be treated as though they have zero pips allocated! This will reduce your ship max speed, turning radius, increase the cool-down time of your guns, weaken and slow the recharge time of shields and reduce the effectiveness of your weapons. It's a major problem if this system goes down, but I honestly cannot think of a situation where you would want to prioritize this subsystem. At that point you're better off aiming for the Power Plant, since even with power distribution down, a ship can still be a threat. This module is often located on either the top or bottom of a ship to one side. It often mirrors the shield generator. If damaged, this system can malfunction and begin randomly assigning pips.

Cargo Scoop:

A fairly straight forward module that I'm sure you're all familiar with. If the cargo scoop is destroyed, you cannot deploy it any more and cargo will leak out of your cargo hold. A perfect module to snipe if you need to "liberate" a target of their worldly possessions without killing them. This module is usually located on the bottom of the ship, easily visible because it looks like two large doors.

Good damage percentages to know:
    At 60% health, a damage cargo scoop will dump roughly half your cargo.
    At 40% health, roughly 90% of your cargo will have been ejected.
    At 20%, 95% of your cargo will have been ejected.
    Under 10%, most if not all, your cargo should be ejected.

Life-Support:

Another module that you do not want to lose. Once your Life-Support subsystem goes down, your cabin no longer has oxygen and you start running on oxygen tanks. You have 10 minutes to get this repaired before suffocating to death! Either way, if this goes down, you want to head for the nearest station ASAP. This module is usually located wherever the cockpit of the vessel is or on the sides of the ship. It is important to note that the inside of stations are filled with air, so you only need to make it past the entrance of a station to be safe. If disabled, you need to repair it to about 80% with an repair module for atmosphere to return.

Shield Generator:

Another vital subsystem, this module is responsible for your shields. Should this go down, your shields will no-longer recharge. The location of this module usually mirrors the power distribution. Although important, it probably isn't a priority target in the heat of battle.

Drives:

This module is responsible for steering and controlling your ship. Should this incredibly important subsystem go down, your max speed will reduce to about 10% of your max speed and your turning will be almost useless. Should this system go down, you are in a lot of trouble since you cannot maneuver or escape, but you can still frame-shift away assume that drive is still online. This module is located on the back of ships and is easily recognizable as a booster on either side of the ship. There are 2 drives on every ship, one for each engine, but if either goes down, they both are destroyed. An ideal target module if you're looking to incapacitate your prey without killing it. Fun fact: drivers produce the majority of a ships heat, so if you destroy a ships driver, often times they'll disappear off the radar until you get very close! This system also cannot be repaired by a repair module!

Frameshift Drive:

Another self-explanatory subsystem, this one is responsible for allowing your ship to super-cruise around. Should this go down, you lose the ability to super-cruise to different instances, so if you aren't near a station, you're in big trouble! This system is usually located at the back of a ship in the center. I'm not sure if it is a bug, but currently if this module is destroyed (at least for the cobra), then your ship will be destroyed!

Weapons/Utility Mounts:

These vary widely from ship to ship: The sidewinder has 2 on top near the front, the eagle has 2 on the bottom and 1 on top, the cobra has 4 spread out, and these modules can be individually disabled if you aim for them. It often isn't worth specifically targeting modules like this, but it can be done. A disabled weapon/utility module can no longer be used. Shooting weapon hardpoints can occasionally cause them to fire and malfunction.

The Windshield:

I call this a hidden subsystem. When shooting at a ship, you can aim for the windshield and break it. This will cause the HUD to disappear, and the oxygen to quickly leave the cabin of the ship having the same outcome as when the life-support module is disabled. When you go to a station to repair all subsystems, your windshield will also be repaired. If your goal is to break the opponents life support, it may be easier to aim for the windshield to get the same result. The only drawback is that you cannot tell when you have broken their windshield since there is no visual indicator.

General Subsystems Information:

Durability:

Different subsystems have different durabilities and some are harder to hit than others due to location. By shooting a module, you can do partial damage depending on whether its a direct hit or not. As for how much it takes to kill a subsystem, it's hard to say. Bigger ships seem to have more resistant subsystems, and a single railgun can destroy a subsystem on everything up to a cobra, and it takes 2-3 to destroy a subsystem on an Anaconda. It takes roughly 20-30 shots with a class 2 pulse laser to disable a subsystem on a cobra. Slightly fewer for a sidewinder or eagle. Life support seems to be very fragile, drives are pretty tough, and cargo bays are somewhere in the middle. More testing is needed for the exact durability of each subsystem.

Update: It seems that hitting a subsystem only does 50% of the damage you would have normally done if you had not hit any subsystems!

Side-sensitive:

When you target a subsystem, a reticule appears to help show you where the system is, but most subsystems can only be hit from a certain side of a ship. For example, you cannot shoot the cargo scoop when you are above a sidewinder, you must be below it. This goes for most-if not all subsystems.

The AFM Module:

This subsystem goes in the support slot of any ship, and can be bought for around 10,000 credits. Charges cost 500 credits each, but last a fair bit. What this module allows you to do is repair an offline module over time via the module's panel on the right side of the cockpit. It repairs at 1-2% per second (so, relatively quickly), and is great for when your far away from a station and something critical like your life support goes down. There are some drawbacks though. To repair a module, it must be offline. You cannot repair either the Power Plant or the Drives, so if either goes down (well, if the power plant is down, you've already been blown up), you'll still have to go back to a station to repair the damage.

Ship Experiments:

I'm looking for players in Lakon-6's and Vipers to do more tests on!

The Sidewinder:

Note: These are general locations, not actual hitboxes. These are however, the correct sides you'll want to face if you want to hit these subsystems. There's a bit of leeway. I've hit the drives when above or below the ship as long as you aim exactly where the subsystem reticule tells you.

Sidewinder Experiment:

Since I haven't gotten any willing volunteers for my research, I've had to forcibly recruit people in the anarchy system. Here's some footage of some tests I was running with a new player in a sidewinder right outside the station. Calm down, I'm a researcher, not a murderer, I let him go when I was done. I started out by shooting out his drives. The drop in mobility following was immediately obvious. He was 5-10km out from the station when this occurred. I then shot out his cargo-hold using a singular railgun shot to...uhm... "liberate" him of any extraneous variables that could have contaminated the experiment. He didn't have any cargo on board, so I let him be. I thought this would be a perfect time to test whether it was possible to dock with your drives off-line. Let's see how he does! He wasn't very happy with me and took a few shots at me when I accidentally wandered into his line of fire, but seeing his docking potential was more important than punishing his hubris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4qm...ature=youtu.be

The Hauler:

The hauler is a bit buggy with the subsystems. I was having trouble with the cargo-scoop and I could barely hit the utility slots.

Hauler Experiment:

Here's another clip of me catching a hauler outside of free-port. First thing I did was take out his drives which took a singular rail-gun shot. (After taking down his shields), next I took out his frame-shift drive, which was located directly behind the cockpit of the craft. Unfortunately, he was very intent on saving his cargo of gold he had on board and quickly logged out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhC...ature=youtu.be

Potential Bugs:
    Edit: The cargo scoop IS hittable, but the hitbox is not where the targeting reticule is, it's slightly below it. If you aim too low you hit the frameshift drive and if you aim too high, you hit the life support making it tricky to hit.
    Also, the "Drivers" label doesn't work correctly for haulers, and they are unlabeled, although disabling them works correctly.
    I also could not blow out the cockpit of the hauler, but I haven't tested enough to confirm.

The Eagle:

It's important to note that the windshield on the eagle is incredibly tough.

Potential Bugs:
    I couldn't hit the support slot at all. Otherwise, everything seems to be in the right place in regards to hitboxes.

The Cobra:

Subsystem-wise, the cobra is fairly vulnerable. You can hit the frameshift from directly behind the cobra, above or below the cobra. The drives are fairly big and easy to hit as well. This ship, unlike the sidewinder, has a seperate cockpit and life-support system. So you can take out the life support without blowing out the cockpit windshield, and vice versa (although you will run out of oxygen if the windshield does get blown out!).

Potential Bugs:
    Destroying the frameshift drive of a cobra causes it to explode!
    Edit: Someone reported an incident where the frameshift was at 0%, but didn't explode. Perhaps it wasn't yet broken and it just rounded down to 0% on the display, but I'll have to investigate further.

The Lakon:

The lakon is much better with the subsystem hitboxes and I had no problems at all aiming for individual subsystems except for the left drive. Also, there are two weapons in the front of the lakon on either side of the cockpit. The cockpit is also incredibly easy to shoot out on the lakon because it's huge.

Potential Bugs:
    The right side drive cannot not be hit (as far as I can tell), but the left side can.
    The cargo hatch is nowhere near where the indicator says it is. It is actually at the top of the box on the hull of the lakon, about a sidewinder-length above where the hitbox should be.

The Anaconda:

Again, the hitboxes are very well done on the Anaconda. An important thing to note when attacking the Anaconda, is that the power plant and life support can both be hit from directly behind it.

Other bugs:
    Shooting the cargo-hold with a railgun often kills the cargo hatch in 1 hit bringing it to 0%, but cargo does not spill out.

To Be Continued

Different Armor Information:

This was a side experiment that I did to test the effectiveness of a railgun against different armor types. Armor does not seem to effect the protection of subsystems, but I haven't gotten a chance to test it more. Hitting a subsystem though only does 50% as much hull damage as it would have done if it hadn't hit a subsystem. Now, starting from worst to greatest using a rail-gun against an Eagle:

1. 44% - (Default Armor)
    2. 32% - (Reinforced Armor)
    3. 25% - (Reactive Armor)
    4. 22% - (Military Armor)

So having military grade armor means you'll take roughly half the damage. I haven't had a chance to test the mirrored armor yet.

1. 100% Damage (default)
    2. 75% Damage (Reinforced)
    3. 56% Damage (Reactive Armor)
    4. 50% Damage (Military Grade Armor)

Also note, that this only applies to railguns. Different weapons may do different percentages to different armors.

Special Thanks to:
    First off, the Sidewinder who was such a good sport in my first video.
    Next off thanks to the Anaconda pilot who attacked me unprovoked (okay, I scanned, but nothing more), outside of the station (AND INSIDE???), who unfortunately suffered a catastrophic power plant failure due to 3 mysterious railgun slugs, causing gold to rain down outside the station! There was enough to pay for 4 ship replacements!
    More thanks to all the willing participants as well as all the unwilling ones.

Real Special Thanks to:
    CMDR Anderson Degrear for letting me test his Lakon-9 in the beta, allowing me to figure out the exact hitbox of the cargo bay!
    CMDR Vall Forran for letting me do the same thing on his hauler.

Awesome, thank you very much for this man!

"Life-Support:

Another module that you do not want to lose. Once your Life-Support subsystem goes down, your cabin no longer creates atmosphere and you start running on oxygen tanks. You have 2 minutes to get this repaired before suffocating to death!"

I think it has actually been increased to 10 minutes now.

Originally Posted by rwyoung View Post (Source)
    "Life-Support:

Another module that you do not want to lose. Once your Life-Support subsystem goes down, your cabin no longer creates atmosphere and you start running on oxygen tanks. You have 2 minutes to get this repaired before suffocating to death!"

I think it has actually been increased to 10 minutes now.
    You're right! Fixed

Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post (Source)

Sidewinder Experiment:

Since I haven't gotten any willing volunteers for my research, I've had to forcibly recruit people in the anarchy system. Here's some footage of some tests I was running with a new player in a sidewinder right outside the station. Calm down, I'm a researcher, not a murderer, I let him go when I was done. I started out by shooting out his drives. The drop in mobility following was immediately obvious. He was 5-10km out from the station when this occurred. I then shot out his cargo-hold using a singular railgun shot to...uhm... "liberate" him of any extraneous variables that could have contaminated the experiment. He didn't have any cargo on board, so I let him be. I thought this would be a perfect time to test whether it was possible to dock with your drives off-line. Let's see how he does! He wasn't very happy with me and took a few shots at me when I accidentally wandered into his line of fire, but seeing his docking potential was more important than punishing his hubris!
    Did you have pets as a kid? Did they survive?

If you need a willing volunteer, give me a shout. I have a basic Sidewinder with an extra pulse laser, so I can easily sell that if you want to run some tests.

Originally Posted by Zalamael View Post (Source)
    If you need a willing volunteer, give me a shout. I have a basic Sidewinder with an extra pulse laser, so I can easily sell that if you want to run some tests.
    That would be excellent! I sent you a message. There aren't a huge number of things left that I want to test with the sidewinder, so it shouldn't take long.

Excellent work. I hope that something of similar will be present in the user manual of ED, when the retail version is released.

so... if you really wanted to grief someone... you shoot out their drive.. then their life support and follow them through frameshift to the nearest station... all the while recording the "Experiment"

your evil. I approve

Originally Posted by Togg View Post (Source)
    so... if you really wanted to grief someone... you shoot out their drive.. then their life support and follow them through frameshift to the nearest station... all the while recording the "Experiment"

your evil. I approve
    No no, that's all wrong. First you shoot out their drive to stop their pesky dodging. Then you shoot out their frame-shift so they cannot escape. Then you shoot out their cargo to get make sure you make your money's worth. Then you shoot out their life support and laugh maniacally for 10 minutes as they slowly suffocate to death. Most ships can't take that much damage though, so you'd probably need to do it against a Lakon or something. This is purely hypothetical and for SCIENCE of course.

Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post (Source)
    for SCIENCE

Note to those who unwillingly become test subjects:
    Please don't panic. Usually I try to disable your drivers, and if I fail, I let you go. I don't kill you. Once or twice I may have accidentally hit someone's power plant, but 9 times out of 10, you'll live if you don't panic. Too often commanders panic, boost away and immediately try to frame-shift causing them to overheat and explode. It's hilarious, but not my intention!

I have a Cobra that would be willing to act as a Guinea Pig. Let me know when you're on next, and we can see about arranging some more experiments.

Page 1 of 5 123 Last