Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The road to 2.1 & store feedback

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

The road to 2.1 & store feedback

The development team are now hard at work on “The Engineers” - the next major expansion in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, so as we did in previous releases we’re taking a break from Michael’s regular weekly dev updates.

Instead, over the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail on Horizons 2.1 The Engineers in the newsletter sent to you every Friday, and we’ll also be reviving our sneak peeks.

This week we want to share with you something we’ve been thinking about for some time, in response to the many requests we’ve had since the Kickstarter.

Naming NPCs, renaming planets and even having a named surface marker to commemorate a special person, thing or event, are all things you’ve been asking for. We are considering adding these items and more to the Frontier Store, including star system naming and creation and naming of new surface starports. We would love to know your opinion on this, and gauge interest.

In order to keep these items special we would limit the availability of each, and if it works well, we would have a batch in each future expansion too.
    Head of Community Management

I'm calling it .... "Pay to Name" !

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    and gauge interest.
    Also I remember Gauge ... lovely girl

Holy cow, yes, that would be awesome!

Creation AND naming of starports? Here take my money...

I'm curious how the mechanics will work. Will our name be displayed as the "founder'' of station X in the info panel? Do we get royalties or passive income? Crazy ideas, really.

Looking forward to updates! Great job so far!

Can we pay for a Ban Hammer of our own?

feel so cheated with no Dev update......

WINTER IS COMING. - Its an "Indian Summer" - be patient.
    Lab 69 DISCORD!! Get some alien bashing now!

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    The development team are now hard at work on “The Engineers” - the next major expansion in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons season, so as we did in previous releases we’re taking a break from Michael’s regular weekly dev updates.
    Instead, over the coming weeks we’ll be going into more detail on Horizons 2.1 The Engineers in the newsletter sent to you every Friday, and we’ll also be reviving our sneak peeks.
    This week we want to share with you something we’ve been thinking about for some time, in response to the many requests we’ve had since the Kickstarter.
    Naming NPCs, renaming planets and even having a named surface marker to commemorate a special person, thing or event, are all things you’ve been asking for. We are considering adding these items and more to the Frontier Store, including star system naming and creation and naming of new surface starports. We would love to know your opinion on this, and gauge interest.
    In order to keep these items special we would limit the availability of each, and if it works well, we would have a batch in each future expansion too.
    Needs to be carefully done imo.
    Price it too low and the number of requests to change a system to "Big Thingy number 7" will be astronomical. Too high and they'll claim that FD is struggling for cash or fleecing it's players.

Personally not that interested but I understand why others are. I'd do it on a case by case basis like the Special Effect charity ones in the livestream. Maybe set this one up where a % goes into FD coffers and a % goes into charity. Doing it as an auction/blind auction also indemnifies FD from being seen as moneygrubbing since it's the price that the players are willing to pay (and the charity aspect would be awesome too).

Creating new starports and expanding human space is something I'm fully in favour of but within reason. Having one or 2 nebula stations are great but if you give people too much choice we will end up with a facility at every major landmark in the universe. Would prefer that human space expand outwards as it would naturally if thats the right way of phrasing it.

Just my thoughts.
    Elite | Entrepreneur | Elite | Mostly Helpless
    Duke - Friendly | Rear Admiral - Friendly | Alliance - Friendly
    Current Assets: ~3,000Mil Cr | All ships owned | All Engineers grade 5 unlocked
    Saitex X-52 Pro| 3.4GHz i5 CPU | 16Gb Corsair DDR3 RAM | Asus Z87-D MB | GTX 1080 GPU | Oculus Rift | 1.25TB Samsung SSDs | 8TB HDDs
    Q&A Developer Livestream Questions gathering Thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...-A-Livestreams

I give you guys money and you create a new planetary base for me that I get to name??!

Please take my money
    --My husky flies shotgun--

So someone could pay to name a planet I discovered? I'm not sure I'm OK with this. Could we do this like the internet forum Something Awful and give us the ability to re-name named planets when we don't like the name, but for half the price if it's our discovery?

Ahahaha Pay to Name. Is it 1st of April ?

Yes, please! Gifting someone a planet and actually taking said person in a ship to visit it... hnnnnng

Seriously though, Will this be moderated ? .. if someone wants to pay you X-amount of £ $ to name a system Bling'D'Bong will that be possible, obviously you will filter out offensive stuff (or will you ???) but will this be a free for all as long as you pay the £ $ ?

Only if names have to adhere certain naming conventions. Don't want to run into NPCs with stupid "d3AAthp@pwnL00lZ" names (you can tell I am not very good with such names ) all the time.

Edit: even with naming conventions, I am not to fond of the idea. I think renaming stations or planets for money is actually giving too much power to individuals. I'd rather prefer places to be named in some coherent way by FD than see crazy, totally unfittingly named stations at every corner.

I hate the idea of "pay to name" planets, star systems. For me, the knowledge that someone could pay RL money to name something in our game universe would make the ED galaxy feel significantly less real. Competitions to name things in the galaxy, with names chosen by FD would be much better IMO. Competitions could be run outside the game or within ED, in for form of CGs etc.
    -
    I'm all for FD exploiting new revenue streams without spoiling the feel of the game. I realise this is a purely subjective opinion, but I would support things like paid NPC names and ship names. Maybe FD could even sell specific ship names (similar to how you can buy number plates for your car IRL).
    1985: Weapons dealer. Cobra Mk 3. Elite.
    1995: Space tourist and part-time assassin. Thargoid Warship. Dangerous.
    2015: Adventurer and problem-solver. Anaconda. Deadly, Entrepreneur, Ranger.

13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #13
    Originally Posted by Huros View Post (Source)
    Can we pay for a Ban Hammer of our own?

feel so cheated with no Dev update......
    Don't worry, we will still be keeping you updated each week in the newsletter.
    Head of Community Management

Originally Posted by Dr Roly View Post (Source)
    ..... For me, the knowledge that someone could pay RL money to name something in our game universe would make the ED galaxy feel significantly less real....
    They already have, via the kickstarter.
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Not my cup of tea but obviously there's some public demand to it so all in all a good thing I guess.

Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast