Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Recent Forum Changes

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Recent Forum Changes

Hi all,

As some of you have seen recently, there’s been some changes afoot here on the forums. Below are the listings of the changes and the reasoning behind it, along with some future changes to come.

- As you may have noticed, editing of posts in some forum sections have become rather limited.
    Why did this change?
    1) The moderation team has come into repeat contact with some individuals over the past year that would continuously edit posts out after a moderation edit to revert post content that violates the forum rules.
    2) Some individuals would edit posts a day later in an attempt to state that another individual quoting a post was not what they quoted it for.
    3) People “wiping” their post history in an attempt to derail discussions.

What sections does this include?
    All common forums (Dangerous Discussion for example) with moderate to high activity.

What does this not include?
    All first posts to a thread do not have an edit lockout.

How long do I have before the post becomes edit-locked?
    30 minutes.

Why is the edit limit so short?
    See above regarding why.

Will we change the edit time limit?
    Yes, over time the value will change based on general feedback. The edit time out will not be removed however.

- We have disabled the usage of uploading image media directly to the forums.
    Unfortunately, after many months of monitoring, attempts to curve off the overhead, and other means to reduce the server load caused by image media... we’ve ultimately disabled the ability to directly upload images of any sort to the forums. We have looked into methods to offload the media to other mediums, but all have fell short of what we are looking for in terms of security, ability for users to control said attachments and general management of said items.

You will need to use a site such as imgur.com for posting images to the forums from now on.

So what’s coming up next here on the forums?
    First up, our longer term plans are to revamp the ED forum rules.
    We hope to bring those changes on to the forums later this month. You can get an idea of the forum rules update by seeing our Planet Coaster forum rules located here: https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sho...and-Guidelines
    Make note with the rules above, it is not an exhaustive list of the rules. Items such as No Naming and Shaming, Hackusations, mod/employee callouts/harassment, and goodbye-threads will remain.

Secondly, infraction policies and procedure will be changing.
    We will be introducing a new infraction type called an Advisory. An advisory is not an infraction, however is meant to serve as a reminder and a little educational note of our forum rules and policies.
    Our procedure on infractions vs advisories will be coming into play later on as well. This also includes changes to the durations of infractions and point values to each of them. Numerous infractions on the minor side will also be revoked from people.

We’ve also begun some changes on postbit and account template.
    We’ve begun to make changes in preps later on of an all-in-one account system. The planet coaster forums currently have this functionality, and it has allowed us greater control in automation of who can access what. It’s not that we don’t like you – it’s quite the opposite! Some people will probably not enjoy this change, while many more will enjoy this integration between our Game and Store to the forums.

We’ve made a few changes with how our moderation team is shown on the forums.
    All moderators now have a title of “Volunteer Moderator”. Additionally, they also have regained their post-title level.... hooray! We plan to add in a toggle to allow them to enable/disable the flair on a per-post basis in the near future.

The swear filter is being funny!!
    Well, it’s one way to curb off the swearing on these forums. People of all ages browse these forums. Many of our games are rated PEGI 7 or E for Everyone by the ESRB. Our previous filter was a one-size-fits-all system, which well, didn’t work too great for non-English forums.

Over the course of the next few weeks, we will be tuning and tweaking the new filter as needed. The old filter is active, but not in its old capacity.

Forums and subforums get moved about.
    A highly common request over the past months has been how badly the forums are laid out. We agree, and some forums will be getting much needed TLC, while others will get shifted up the list, and others being pushed down the list, and some removed/merged. When this happens, we’ll also be doing maintenance that day. We currently have not set a time and date or duration on this. We’ve got a general idea of where we want to put things, when we get closer to this update, we’ll post a listing of the new forum layout looking for last-minute feedback to consider.

Thanks for reading!
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

...isn't sure what's going on.
    All makes sense to me..

And I've finally become a member of the forum Elite for the 1st time ever.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Hi all,

As some of you have seen recently, there’s been some changes afoot here on the forums. Below are the listings of the changes and the reasoning behind it, along with some future changes to come.
    Generally great that you're constantly working to improve things and much appreciated that you've taken the time to inform us, particularly re: the "why" behind these changes.

Personally I have a bit of a problem with ...

- As you may have noticed, editing of posts in some forum sections have become rather limited.
    Why did this change?
    1) The moderation team has come into repeat contact with some individuals over the past year that would continuously edit posts out after a moderation edit to revert post content that violates the forum rules.
    2) Some individuals would edit posts a day later in an attempt to state that another individual quoting a post was not what they quoted it for.
    ... which I've already described over here ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=241426

.. but it doesn't sounds like there's much room for discussion so ho hum, nevermind, sadface.

(click this image to discover the best of the forum)

Why did this change?

1) why not block them instaend o fmessing up the forum for people who edit their post as they go...

Hang I'll be back in a bit and finhsi his off

Is there a little Edit icon on the bottom of teh screen that shows that this pos was changed?

Yup there is and you can click on it and it allows you to ocmpare versions.

1. Why did this change?
    2. -
    3. +

4. 1) why not block them instaend o fmessing up the forum for people who edit their post as they go...
    5. -
    6. +

Is there a little Edit icon on the bottom of teh screen that shows that this pos was changed?

It coudl just be an idea to make the word editied a biit bigger and bold and mayben even infomr people it exists arthather then go for the hammer to crack a nut?
    "It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned" Ben's Keyboard controls PDF & Quick Start Guide updated 5 August 14

The more you tighten your grip, the more players will fall through your fingers *joke*

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    All makes sense to me..

And I've finally become a member of the forum Elite for the 1st time ever.
    I'm nearly there!

Brett's post nearly makes me go #forthestare, but the beard is strong in this one, so...

#forthebeard!

On the whole I'm liking the sound of the changes (quite surprised not all the mods are Elite )

I must say that the editing seems a little heavy handed (there's no real reason to edit a post the next day though). By the use of your language it seems as if you know who the offenders are and they are repeat offenders, then update the rules to clearly state when repeat editing is not allowed and ban them as Ben says. That coupled with the sound of the account linking changes should do the job.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    On the whole I'm liking the sound of the changes (quite surprised not all the mods are Elite )

I must say that the editing seems a little heavy handed (there's no real reason to edit a post the next day though). By the use of your language it seems as if you know who the offenders are and they are repeat offenders, then update the rules to clearly state when repeat editing is not allowed and ban them as Ben says. That coupled with the sound of the account linking changes should do the job.
    I edit and update my post some days or weeks after the original. Sometime I might add some additional information, make a clarification, add some images, point to another thread, change the tone I've used because it might not be appropriate, take out something that is clearly wrong. I tend to add that I have edited it in the comments and supply a reason why. Often I post the first thing that comes in to my head with the intention of returning and revising. After all, editing posts is an amazing step forward since the days on 1970 bulletin boards.

A missing word can change the whole meaning of a post.

I do like Marmite
    I do not like Marmite
    "It had begun with Ben Ryder, who had traded almost exclusively using shot-up pirate ships. Ben had lived life on the edge, and one day, one night, one star year, he had not returned" Ben's Keyboard controls PDF & Quick Start Guide updated 5 August 14

Got to say I agree with the comments I've read so far regarding the post editing changes. Doesn't seem like the best response to the problem (although, I don't think I've really run across it myself) and just causes problems for everyone else.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by Ben Ryder View Post (Source)
    I edit and update my post some days or weeks after the original. Sometime I might add some additional information, make a clarification, add some images, point to another thread, change the tone I've used because it might not be appropriate, take out something that is clearly wrong. I tend to add that I have edited it in the comments and supply a reason why. Often I post the first thing that comes in to my head with the intention of returning and revising. After all, editing posts is an amazing step forward since the days on 1970 bulletin boards.

A missing word can change the whole meaning of a post.

I do like Marmite
    I do not like Marmite
    ^^ What he said

...except Vegemite
    "We DO encourage community created content, but this content takes the form of artwork, fan group logos, gameplay vids, etc. These are fan-driven pieces that allow players to express themselves or their appreciation of the world they are creating for themselves within the galaxy. I don’t believe we ever expressed apps as being a piece of ‘content’..."
    ~ Frontier Developments

[ Navigating ] [ Odometer ] [ Surface Navigation Sneak Peek is dead ]
    Twitter . YouTube

Why penalize the majority and make the forum less functional for everybody when it seems that the issue is minor and the perpetrators are known.

No one is allowed chips in this house ever again because jeff deliberately mushed one on the new carpet. All of you kids simply cant be trusted!

Just seems a bit of an odd way to go about things. I'm not fussed. I'll use another forum like reddit if I feel the changes are too cumbersome.

I guess I like to hear news about functions being added or improved rather than ones that have been around since day one being removed.

13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #13
    Why penalize the majority and make the forum less functional for everybody when it seems that the issue is minor and the perpetrators are known.

No one is allowed chips in this house ever again because jeff deliberately mushed one on the new carpet. All of you kids simply cant be trusted!

Just seems a bit of an odd way to go about things. I'm not fussed. I'll use another forum like reddit if I feel the changes are too cumbersome.

I guess I like to hear news about functions being added or improved rather than ones that have been around since day one being removed.
    You're seemingly set that this change will be detrimental to these forums, when in fact it's for a very minor subset of forums (it's literally five forums with this functionality active). Dangerous Discussion, Powerplay Discussion (excluding all subforums), CQC, Arena (which will be merged into CQC soon) and Xbox one are the only forums with this edit limitation.

If you're looking for longer term features, when the SSO functionality comes to these forums, we can on the spot set you to have access to forum X or Forum Y or both Forum X and Y - automatically. Additionally, from a moderation standpoint, we will have the ability to see who is a legitimate customer and who is here to get a rise out of people. It's worked out great for our planet coaster forums thus far, and we expect it to work out nicely here.

So for example, this isn't confirmed or in development by a long shot... but it does open the door for us to access the internal API via the forums for peoples minor factions and groups, then to automatically flag people accordingly. An idea i've had for the longest of time is minor faction forums for each minor faction. Where each minor faction would get a leaders, members, visitors forum section to their group category.

It'd look something like this...

Code:
    Minor Faction Groups Category
    |- Allegiance 1 Category
    |  |- Some Faction Name 1 Category
    |  |  |- Leaders Forum
    |  |  |- Members Forum
    |  |  `- Visitors Forum
    |  `- Some Faction Name 2 Category
    |     |- Leaders Forum
    |     |- Members Forum
    |     `- Visitors Forum
    |- Allegiance 2 Category
    blah blah 
    |- Allegiance 3 Category
    blah blah
    `- Allegiance 4 Category
    blah blah
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

Originally Posted by Ben Ryder View Post (Source)

You will still have the ability to edit the OP to your heart's content. That's where it matters and it's great this stays as it was. For the rest - There really isn't any good reason to edit mid-discussion posts, aside from spellcheck, typos, multiquotes, etc. for which the 30min deadline is sufficient.
    Other than that, if I have anything else to say, I simply make a new post, right?

Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post (Source)
    The more you tighten your grip, the more players will fall through your fingers *joke*
    Haha, now you need to add this to your avatar :

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    We’ve begun to make changes in preps later on of an all-in-one account system. The planet coaster forums currently have this functionality, and it has allowed us greater control in automation of who can access what. It’s not that we don’t like you – it’s quite the opposite! Some people will probably not enjoy this change, while many more will enjoy this integration between our Game and Store to the forums.
    I like this one! One question, though: my in-game commander name differs from my forum name. Will this offer the option to replace my current forum name with that of my in-game commander?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast