Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Crab Nebula Expedition - Respondens autem dico de stellis

Crab Nebula Expedition - Respondens autem dico de stellis

Artwork Courtesy of Qohen Leth: Artwork Thread

THE CRAB NEBULA EXPEDITION

Reddit Thread: here

Respondens Autem Dico De Stellis
    Answering the call of the stars

Greetings commanders, and welcome to the Crab Nebula Expedition!
    This thread will contain all the information you need to know for the upcoming journey.
    The Crab Nebula is what I would describe as a 'Diamond in the Rough' as it is one of the few nebulae that resembles its real life counterpart, and it is a beautiful place.

Main Mission

The CNE's main objective is to charter the surrounding areas at each waypoint leading up to and including the Crab Nebula.
    The CNE is also going to be a great sightseeing opportunity for both rookie and veteran explorers alike as the planned route will take us to some of the most beautiful locations in Elite: Dangerous.

Departure Date: June 11th 3302 19:00 UTC
    Launch Countdown Courtesy of CMDR Netstalker363, check it out here
    The Roster will close to new submissions on Friday 10th June 23:00 IGT

Sign-up Thread: here
    Official Roster: here
    Elite Dangerous: Exploration (EDEX) Discord: https://discord.gg/0t9DFHttXuE4HkFR
    EDSM Expedition: here

FLAGSHIP COMPETITION

Expedition Waypoints

Waypoint Details Here

Waypoint Name System Planet Surface Gravity Co-ordinates Date Distance to Next Waypoint Progress
    0 Meetup Point Epsilon Indi 3 A 0.09 G 56.20, 121.77 11 Jun 3302 383.87ly IN PROGRESS
    1 Pleiades Nebula UPCOMING
    2 Betelgeuse UPCOMING
    3 Barnard's Loop UPCOMING
    4 Cone Nebula UPCOMING
    5 Thor's Helmet UPCOMING
    6 Seagull Nebula UPCOMING
    7 Rosette Nebula UPCOMING
    8 Jellyfish Nebula UPCOMING
    9 MonkeyH Nebula UPCOMING
    10 Crab Pulsar UPCOMING

Details for upcoming waypoints will be posted here as the expedition progresses

Expedition Map

FLEET FLAGSHIP

I am pleased to announce the Fleet Flagship is the Lucky Venture commanded by Cmdr Jerek!

Post-Expedition

After the expedition reaches the Crab Nebula there will be 2 choices participants can make.

1. Follow a route back to the Bubble that will take us past the Trifid of the North, Flaming Star and California Nebulae. (The Green Route)

2. An optional extended mission that will see us visit the Heart & Soul Nebula before we travel back to the bubble. This route back will likely go past the West Veil and the Bubble Nebulae as well. (The Blue Route) Note that this route will add considerable time to the journey
    This option will also give commanders who wish to join the Formidine Rift Expedition the opportunity to rendezvous with the fleet headed to the Rift. This is completely dependent on the timing of the FD Expedition

More details on the possible return routes will be posted during the expedition.

Fly Safe
    CMDR atomicb0mb639

This looks like a really great route! The area around Barnard's Loop, Horsehead and Orion nebula is simply amazing. I fear I will still be far out in the Sagittarius-Carina arm when this launches, but I wish you a bon voyage

Looking forward to it already!

Looking good

I've linked this thread on the Hub thread.

Hoping to sign up for this if time permits... Crab Nebula is something I've yet to visit

Originally Posted by Erimus View Post (Source)
    Looking good

I've linked this thread on the Hub thread.

Hoping to sign up for this if time permits... Crab Nebula is something I've yet to visit
    Thank you. Would be great if you could make it!

Was already planning on heading there after DWE anyway, perhaps I'll see some of the fleet there!

If I'm back in-time that is..

Oh, that's a fantastic route! I can't wait to see some of the photos from your trip!

Originally Posted by Corbin Moran View Post (Source)
    This looks like a really great route!
    That is essentially the trip I made last summer - it is a veritable highway of stunning views.

Don't forget to swing by M78 on the way past, it's small but it's beautiful.

Originally Posted by iain666 View Post (Source)
    That is essentially the trip I made last summer - it is a veritable highway of stunning views.

Don't forget to swing by M78 on the way past, it's small but it's beautiful.
    I will bear that in mind. Thanks

Definitely looking forward to this - I've not been out that way beyond the Pleiades yet.

Is WP12 missing (secret?) or is WP13 a typo?

I know the exact schedule is TBA, but roughly what sort of pace is planned? - anything from 1 week (wave to the nebulae as we zoom past) to 3 months (1 waypoint each weekend) seems possible at the moment.

Thanks for spotting that!

I was estimating around 1 - 2 months for the trip there.

We also have plans for the trip back as well

I happened to notice you have a significant lack of Vultures on the badge there...

...might have to see if I can actually make it to the Crab now.

Cheers.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully I will be back in time, if not I have a second account back at the bubble that I can join in with

OK... submitted my sign up registration.

Looking forward to it and seeing how well you guys can keep up...

Not signing up just yet but there is a big chance that I will be joining the expedition

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast