Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: On the Horizon – Countdown to The Engineers Beta Livestream: Part 1 - Questions Needed

One thing I was wondering, the missiongivers of the factions are they diffrent not just based on your rep with a faction but also based on Location? Or will there be the same people even when I go and take missions for the same faction in a diffrent system?

Originally Posted by Arubeto View Post (Source)
    And do you think we will get it with 2.1 or later?

A mining vehicle would be awesome! I love it everytime the devs add something not combat oriented to the game
    No idea when......I did actually ask that question during a dev stream before or just after Horizons was released and asked if a mining vehicle might be a possible addition. The response was a cryptic "That's an interesting idea" and they moved swiftly on Still speculation but it would make sense I guess.

"Scanning a nav beacon will give Commanders the exploration data for the system (if you don’t already have it)."

Due to this change, I wonder, will system data still be for sale from the Galactic Map?

And if so, will it only be to systems outside the bubble, because if all human inhabited systems have a Nav Beacon, why would anyone buy system data from Universal Cartographics? Is this killing one money sink totally?

How did this decision arise- what is the gameplay and design thought behind it since it really changes a basic function in game from 1.5 years of play?

Will a compromised Nav beacon possibly give out incomplete information or incorrect information?

Will there be a way to destroy a Nav Beacon to stop this data from being shared for a time?

Forum Database Wiki Design Discussion Archive Making Video Games is Hard ED Dev Tracker

Commander Hydrino.

The Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is fantasy and a cult, not science.
    The universe is deterministic, composed of ordinary objects, knowable by man.

Originally Posted by Bomba Luigi View Post (Source)
    One thing I was wondering, the missiongivers of the factions are they diffrent not just based on your rep with a faction but also based on Location? Or will there be the same people even when I go and take missions for the same faction in a diffrent system?
    I don't have a link but MB already answered this. There will be different mission givers for every station, faction and rep levels.

There should be many tens of thousands (at least) Tier 2 persistent NPC in the game, each with a unique look due to the 'Commander Creator' system. I think someone calculated a rough number [edit, about 9,000] and MB replied "that's the plan" or similar.

But good question - will we be able to see a variety of Mission Givers? I'm sure they will demo the mission board as that was a previous newsletter topic (questions will be constrained to already revealed topics).

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    And on that subject, that bit of concept art would suggest that engineers bases are not only different in general layout to our existing surface bases but have been modelled to sit within the contours of their specific location (e.g. across a valley) rather than simply being placed on a suitable expanse of flat ground. Can you confirm if this is something we can expect to see in-game and, if so, are these bases hand-crafted or has the procedural generation for bases been significantly improved to cope with dramatically uneven surfaces.
    Good question. My bet is hand-placed. Since Engineers are limited and will be found only in specific spots per what we have been told, this would be a great way to have limited "hand crafted" bases.

A follow-up question > since the Settlement system is supposedly more able to support dynamic changes based on BGS input (guessing), will the Engineer's bases be similarly dynamic and possibly changing over time due to the BGS, or will they be static as controlled by the Devs and Injection (or Ejection as the case may be)?

Forum Database Wiki Design Discussion Archive Making Video Games is Hard ED Dev Tracker

Commander Hydrino.

The Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is fantasy and a cult, not science.

Originally Posted by Arubeto View Post (Source)
    <snip>
    Have you seen CaptainKremmens proposal to bring a similar filter for security states to the GalaxyMap (and cockpit HUD for that matter)?
    Thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83437
    Mockup from that thread:
    http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...psccbe273c.jpg
    This could finally make people actually plan their - trading, smuggling, exploration or whatever - routes when going somewhere, instead of just using the automatic route planner. It would also highlight the different system security levels very nice and make them a more imminent game feature.
    +1 to this idea. I really hope they keep pushing on using the Galactic and Orrey views (err, System maps) to display more information graphically and in general. I'm sure it is an intensive process to handle all the data from player actions and spit out results that then have to be propagated to all players. But so much awesomeness.

Although I doubt answered since the topics are restricted to already revealed items... but filters in general are a topic. Heat Maps of various types. Make some views similar to Power Play bubbles that show various, slightly nebulous data like population, security, etc.

Commander Hydrino.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    Will the upgraded thrusters that will be available to small ships actually get different models like we saw in early concept art?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130112095330
    +1 to this question.

More of a modular approach or ProcGen enabled approach to ships to allow more variety even though we have quite a nice variety of ships now.

Once we can land on populated worlds I would think the vast array of vehicles to display would mean Procedural is the way to go.

Edit: grd I hate being the only one posting on what would seem to be a really hot thread and have 4 posts back-to-back. I think I hit my quota so I'll stop now.

Commander Hydrino.

Originally Posted by DarkMatterGenerator View Post (Source)
    <clip/> if all human inhabited systems have a Nav Beacon, why would anyone buy system data from Universal Cartographics?
    Not wanting to travel to each system to scan its Nav Beacon would be one reason for buying data via the GM.
    "I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos." - Albert Einstein, on the randomness of quantum mechanics

Elite Dangerous Lead Designer's most recent games:
    Kinect Star Wars (2012) (Senior Designer)
    Haze (2008) (Lead Designer)

"Scanning a nav beacon will give Commanders the exploration data for the system (if you don’t already have it)."

Due to this change, I wonder, will system data still be for sale from the Galactic Map?

And if so, will it only be to systems outside the bubble, because if all human inhabited systems have a Nav Beacon, why would anyone buy system data from Universal Cartographics? Is this killing one money sink totally?

How did this decision arise- what is the gameplay and design thought behind it since it really changes a basic function in game from 1.5 years of play?
    I don't really see the problem in this idea. In fact, I really like it. Buying system data from UC was never a serious money sink - given the low prices - unless you bought the data for every system in the whole galaxy.

The gameplay reason for this is giving players choices - always a good thing in my book - of how they acquire data for a system. Do they buy it from UC? Get it for free buy scanning the nav beacon? Or scan all the bodies themselves and even get money for selling it. It also makes sense for a device like a nav beacon to provide system information for pilots who are actually there. It's exactly what I would imagine a nav beacon would do.

Will a compromised Nav beacon possibly give out incomplete information or incorrect information?

Will there be a way to destroy a Nav Beacon to stop this data from being shared for a time?
    Those are some pretty nice ideas. Some kind of unpredictability is always welcome in such a huge gameworld like EDs galaxy, so corrupted nav beacons having a chance - not 100%, otherwise it would be too predictable again - to provide false data sounds like it could spice things up

1.Will there be surface missions that use planet coordinates?

2. Will we be seeing the textured planet in system map view?

3. Can we place bookmarks on planet coordinates and target it for navigation purposes?

Thanks! And happy developing. Love your work!

Me personaly I only ever had one reason to buy system data and that was to see how far away the station I have to go is from the star bevor I accept a mission and go there, in that regard it will still be as useful as it is now.

Also thanks for the info on my question!

Originally Posted by Barking_Mad View Post (Source)
    My guess FWIW - is a mining vehicle will be one of them.
    and why not while we're at it?
    Time is Linear, Memory is a Stranger, History's for Fools...

Question: You have said a while ago that the mission system will change. we now know about NPCs, your reputation with them etc...but you also said that Major Faction Rank will not be a part of Minor Faction Missions anymore, but you never explained how ranking up works then.
    Would you pleeeease tell us how Ranking 2.0 works then?
    Commander Name: Lazerus Artificial

Will there be anything in 2.1 for productive wings play? Group missions? Currently the only productive thing you can do in a wing (pve) is bountyhunt. Even still AI ships only spawn so fast and you would get better rewards playing solo.

Also will we ever get SRVs that are not wheel based? Walkers or hovers?
    You can never have a big enough ship.... or enough guns

2 questions
    1. Is there going to be any new ships for 2.1?
    2, Will gaining ranks for the feds or empire change in 2.1?

Question: Will we also be able to access our bookmarked stations and systems from the left side panel (without opening the galaxy map, which always takes 10-15 secs or more on my system) ?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast