Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Play Open?: Toward a Different Philosophy for Traders in a Universe of Pirates

Don't Play Open?: Toward a Different Philosophy for Traders in a Universe of Pirates

Dearest Brothers, Sisters, Brother-Sisters, those identifying as Xeno, Starseed, Fictional, Android, Cyborg and Differently Souled,

What this Thread Is Not (best to get it out of the way):

A discussion about The Code in Particular, including Past Deeds, Slips in the Code, etc.

A Cunningly Disguised invitation to another Mode Brawl

A Even More Cunningly disguised invitation to conflate PVP and all forms of Griefing or claim that Griefing doesn't exist.

An attempt to 'damage' groups or Solo. If I can't persuade you to play in Our Sandpit; have fun, no foul, no harm.

Telling you how to play.

Trying to Emulate Eve or Force Guild like organisations on Elite.

If it gets too derailed, I will ask for it to be closed.

---

Now that is out of the Way.

--

What is this intriguingly eloquent Pirate Lord talking about? I hear you ask.

It is a polite request for traders to come back to Open.

In order to make it seem more inviting I am going to do four things. Primus, I am going to ask you to consider a change of philosophy in Trading in Open. Secondus I am going to give you a crash course in avoiding most unwanted interaction. This may seem counterintuitive, but there is method in my madness and madness in my method. Tertius, I am going to ask for more proactive response from Bounty Hunters and Quartius, for the formation of other 'Honourable Thieves' motorcycle clubs to form themselves. If everyone gets a little more organised, communication gets a little better.

In this thread I will deal mostly with the First Two Points.

A different Philosophy for Traders

I know that it can seem like People Playing Pirates (PPP) are asking you to play at being the victims of some one else's fun. I do understand that your time and your enjoyment are important.

However, if instead of seeing yourself as a potential victim, try thinking of yourself as a Fox chased by Hounds. Most of the time you'll be doing Foxy things, but from time to time you will be chased by Hungry Hounds. Sometimes you'll be caught and lose a tails, sometimes you'll lose a little more and sometimes you'll get away with your heart beating and an interesting story down the 'Dog and Heatsink'.

I know the arguments. "I am not your entertainment." Try thinking it has 'We are each other's entertainment'. At worst, you lose a lot of time and credits, but you'll gain more than that. You'll be part of a living breathing universe that's unpredictable and, yes, just a little bit scary.

I also know it isn't all on your side of the plate. I have already done my part, by creating The Code, the pirate group that has a Code, even if we slip a little, at least we know what part of our self imposed 'ethics' we broke and we self correct. I will now be doing another part by organising (or at least getting others to organise) other Pirate Crews with 'Codes'. I'll put a 'buffer time period' in so that we don't all become super pally right away and I won't disallow 'fights' for territory, (which will indicate Pirate Crews HAVE patches.

Naturally, FD also have things to do. This is not the thread to discuss that.

I welcome Queries from new Pirate Lords who want tips on how The Code got started.

I will also ask that Bounty Hunter types (The Pinkerton's of Space) organise themselves so that they fight Pirates only after Pyscho Killers (let's think of a better name) have been made to feel... persecuted.

It's hard to stay on one point of the four I made....

Secondus: How to stand a chance once Interdicted.

OK, you've packed extra antiperspirant and you've decided to try Open. Oh no! You've been interdicted. Have they tried to communcate? Is it a hollow box? Ok.

1: Don't go in a straight line when in a busy system. Go in a semi circle. Pirates will be waiting on the common shipping lanes.

2: Join Trading forums and channels. People who know people know things.

3: Learn to recognise Ships that Pirates fly. I won't give the list here, but you're probably only safe in the presence of anything with the word Type in it's name and Haulers. But still keep a wary eye out of for those. They may be doing something new.

4: Submit to interdiction (unless you can ace them quickly). It stops you wasting time fighting it and it limits the damage you take from dropping out of supercruise.

5: Be Quick. Hesitation will cost you cargo or worse.

6: Consider dropping a few cargo. Not Biowaste. If it's a 'nice pirate' you'll only anger him and that lowers your survivability. Psychos won't care what you drop. Depending on the size of your ship, consider buying a 'detachable tail' type of cargo that, if you have to, you can drop and run. Most 'real' pirates will lose interest in you. They usually do a credit per hour thing to.

7: If you aren't for sharing, plot to another Star System as soon as you are in and running.

8: Set your distribute to Shields and Engine. If your ship is fast, favour Engine, if slow, favour shields and pray.

9: Go to Hyperdrive, not supercruise. You can't be mass locked (as of now) and you can jump to a third system quickly. You may still be followed, but if you jump to Supercruise you WILL be followed.

10: Wait a period of time. Make some food, watch a youtube clip. Try again. Warn your compadres.

--

Ok, I've waffled on. Discuss with me.

Anopheles,
    Founder of The Code
    The Wind beneath Your Wings
    The Yellow Brick Code
    The Power and the Glory
    The Carrot and The Stick
    Etc, Etc

Originally Posted by Anopheles View Post (Source)
    Dearest Brothers, Sisters, Brother-Sisters, those identifying as Xeno, Starseed, Fictional, Android, Cyborg and Differently Souled,

What this Thread Is Not (best to get it out of the way):

A discussion about The Code in Particular, including Past Deeds, Slips in the Code, etc.

A Cunningly Disguised invitation to another Mode Brawl

A Even More Cunningly disguised invitation to conflate PVP and all forms of Griefing or claim that Griefing doesn't exist.

An attempt to 'damage' groups or Solo. If I can't persuade you to play in Our Sandpit; have fun, no foul, no harm.

Telling you how to play.

Trying to Emulate Eve or Force Guild like organisations on Elite.

If it gets too derailed, I will ask for it to be closed.

---

Now that is out of the Way.

--

What is this intriguingly eloquent Pirate Lord talking about? I hear you ask.

It is a polite request for traders to come back to Open.

In order to make it seem more inviting I am going to do four things. Primus, I am going to ask you to consider a change of philosophy in Trading in Open. Secondus I am going to give you a crash course in avoiding most unwanted interaction. This may seem counterintuitive, but there is method in my madness and madness in my method. Tertius, I am going to ask for more proactive response from Bounty Hunters and Quartius, for the formation of other 'Honourable Thieves' motorcycle clubs to form themselves. If everyone gets a little more organised, communication gets a little better.

In this thread I will deal mostly with the First Two Points.

A different Philosophy for Traders

I know that it can seem like People Playing Pirates (PPP) are asking you to play at being the victims of some one else's fun. I do understand that your time and your enjoyment are important.

However, if instead of seeing yourself as a potential victim, try thinking of yourself as a Fox chased by Hounds. Most of the time you'll be doing Foxy things, but from time to time you will be chased by Hungry Hounds. Sometimes you'll be caught and lose a tails, sometimes you'll lose a little more and sometimes you'll get away with your heart beating and an interesting story down the 'Dog and Heatsink'.

I know the arguments. "I am not your entertainment." Try thinking it has 'We are each other's entertainment'. At worst, you lose a lot of time and credits, but you'll gain more than that. You'll be part of a living breathing universe that's unpredictable and, yes, just a little bit scary.

I also know it isn't all on your side of the plate. I have already done my part, by creating The Code, the pirate group that has a Code, even if we slip a little, at least we know what part of our self imposed 'ethics' we broke and we self correct. I will now be doing another part by organising (or at least getting others to organise) other Pirate Crews with 'Codes'. I'll put a 'buffer time period' in so that we don't all become super pally right away and I won't disallow 'fights' for territory, (which will indicate Pirate Crews HAVE patches.

Naturally, FD also have things to do. This is not the thread to discuss that.

I welcome Queries from new Pirate Lords who want tips on how The Code got started.

I will also ask that Bounty Hunter types (The Pinkerton's of Space) organise themselves so that they fight Pirates only after Pyscho Killers (let's think of a better name) have been made to feel... persecuted.

It's hard to stay on one point of the four I made....

Secondus: How to stand a chance once Interdicted.

OK, you've packed extra antiperspirant and you've decided to try Open. Oh no! You've been interdicted. Have they tried to communcate? Is it a hollow box? Ok.

1: Don't go in a straight line when in a busy system. Go in a semi circle. Pirates will be waiting on the common shipping lanes.

2: Join Trading forums and channels. People who know people know things.

3: Learn to recognise Ships that Pirates fly. I won't give the list here, but you're probably only safe in the presence of anything with the word Type in it's name and Haulers. But still keep a wary eye out of for those. They may be doing something new.

4: Submit to interdiction (unless you can ace them quickly). It stops you wasting time fighting it and it limits the damage you take from dropping out of supercruise.

5: Be Quick. Hesitation will cost you cargo or worse.

6: Consider dropping a few cargo. Not Biowaste. If it's a 'nice pirate' you'll only anger him and that lowers your survivability. Psychos won't care what you drop. Depending on the size of your ship, consider buying a 'detachable tail' type of cargo that, if you have to, you can drop and run. Most 'real' pirates will lose interest in you. They usually do a credit per hour thing to.

7: If you aren't for sharing, plot to another Star System as soon as you are in and running.

8: Set your distribute to Shields and Engine. If your ship is fast, favour Engine, if slow, favour shields and pray.

9: Go to Hyperdrive, not supercruise. You can't be mass locked (as of now) and you can jump to a third system quickly. You may still be followed, but if you jump to Supercruise you WILL be followed.

10: Wait a period of time. Make some food, watch a youtube clip. Try again. Warn your compadres.

--

Ok, I've waffled on. Discuss with me.

Anopheles,
    Founder of The Code
    Etc, Etc
    I refuse to read anything until you have replaced those Etc with some proper titles!
    Flash 'BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!!!' Baggins

Youve never heard of me? Im the pilot who flew the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

A noble goal, but until they change the ruleset to make psychos less appealing there really isn't any point

Originally Posted by Flash_Baggins View Post (Source)
    I refuse to read anything until you have replaced those Etc with some proper titles!
    Forgive my lapse!

Anopheles
    The King in The Dark
    The Vida Coca
    The Taste of Honey
    The Money Honster,
    etc, etc

I'm sure some traders will come in here and start to parlay. Inevitably, Massengille will make a surprise visit, insult them all and basically little will change as the thread devolves like so many before.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/ShadowWolf_Kell/MaiaSig3b.png

Originally Posted by Anopheles View Post (Source)
    Forgive my lapse!

Anopheles
    The King in The Dark
    The Vida Coca
    The Taste of Honey
    The Money Honster,
    etc, etc
    Much better !
    Agree with everything written here, all good stuff
    Flash 'BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!!!' Baggins

Youve never heard of me? Im the pilot who flew the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

Originally Posted by Derath View Post (Source)
    A noble goal, but until they change the ruleset to make psychos less appealing there really isn't any point
    My dear Pilot,

It takes a Universe to bring down a Psycho. While we can't do it on this Forum, other places exist to allow Combat Minded Saviours of Mankind to share information on these, usually, solo demons of the deep black.

Yours,

Anopheles,
    The Special Snowflake
    The Round Robin
    The King of Madison Gardens
    The House that Jack Built,
    Etc, etc,

I see one problem: To many dogs and to few foxes.

Not because the foxes all stay in their hidden fox hole, but because to many players decide that being the dog is much more fun than being the fox.
    --
    Frontier Development: "… malicious griefing (which we loosely define as actions whose only purpose, outcome and gain is to punish and frustrate other players)."

The DBX needs an increase of agility!
    FDev: Give us a jump capable Condor with class 1 FSD, and 3 class 1 slots for ADS, DSS and fuel scoop

Originally Posted by CMDR Zadian Lichtfrost View Post (Source)

Not because the foxes all stay in their hidden fox hole, but because to many players decide that being the dog is much more fun than being the fox.
    That's the very nature of this post, to try to correct my Good Man.

Originally Posted by CMDR Zadian Lichtfrost View Post (Source)

There are like 10 genuine pirates that actually play lol, it isn't a pirate abundance that causes the problems but this can't be corrected until griefers/psychos have something implemented to hinder them as realistically I don't think pirates looking for cargo actually put that many people off, but random ship destruction certainly does it would probably have the same effect on me If i didn't get so much practice dodging bounty hunters :/

CODE:

I do hope your appeal to the player group is successful.

As a trader that never left open, the olive branch is.... well it is.

But as a trader that never left open and tried to warn other player groups that all they are doing is sterilizing the universe and was mocked for such outlandish thinking - you should have taken other players serious during that time and I told you so.

I do wish more players would come back to open. I find trading by myself boring and lonesome. Not only are there not many traders in open anymore, but neither are there many pirates at trade CG's. The very small handful i have met in the last 2 months (which I can count on one hand) are not exactly awe inspiring interactions.

I do wish the return to open for players, but don't have sympathy for those that created the bed that they now don't want to sleep in.

Originally Posted by Derath View Post (Source)
    There are like 10 genuine pirates that actually play lol, it isn't a pirate abundance that causes the problems but this can't be corrected until griefers/psychos have something implemented to hinder them as realistically I don't think pirates looking for cargo actually put that many people off, but random ship destruction certainly does it would probably have the same effect on me If i didn't get so much practice dodging bounty hunters :/
    I approve this message.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by {SAS}Stalker View Post (Source)
    Foxy things you say?
    google search!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by deathmagnet View Post (Source)
    CODE:

I do hope your appeal to the player group is successful.

As a trader that never left open, the olive branch is.... well it is.

But as a trader that never left open and tried to warn other player groups that all they are doing is sterilizing the universe and was mocked for such outlandish thinking - you should have taken other players serious during that time and I told you so.

I do wish more players would come back to open. I find trading by myself boring and lonesome. Not only are there not many traders in open anymore, but neither are there many pirates at trade CG's. The very small handful i have met in the last 2 months (which I can count on one hand) are not exactly awe inspiring interactions.

I do wish the return to open for players, but don't have sympathy for those that created the bed that they don't want to sleep in.
    Gluttony Fang is an admirable character for wanting to have legit pirates and RP onward.

Anopheles ain't too shabby either.

Thats why I am pirating in the Wyrd CG this weekend in my skunk FdL.
    I hate country music and ball caps.
    Pirates are the original Goth (the clothes and dirt) and blessed by The Flying Spagetti Monster, long may he noodle us.

If Pirates would like to see more Traders in Open (which is fair enough) so that they can enjoy Real Piracy - then as you mentioned above - Psycho Murder Hobo's need to be dealt with and passed around like fresh pink meat in jai..... <cough> a token on a MAU.

If Gluttony and other's suggestions for real and indeed meaningful repercussions for Random Psycho Murder Hoboism were implemented - then I think it's a safe bet that you'd get more Traders in Open - if even for nothing else than witnessing Psycho Murder Hobo's get properly split in a most uncomfortable fashion.
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Nope. Not interested. If playing the fox is so entertaining, why aren't you doing it yourself?

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast