View Poll Results: Pick your favourite 3 (just not your own)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 : Darkoba : Childhood's End

6 37.50%
  • 2 : Darren Grey : Boris The Space Hamster

4 25.00%
  • 3 : Zieman : Miners Memories

2 12.50%
  • 4 : Adzour : The Harshness of Reality

3 18.75%
  • 5 : Frank : Childhood's Beginning

7 43.75%
  • 6 : Ian Phillips : Childhood Regrets

4 25.00%
  • 7 : Splendour : Above the Infant World

6 37.50%
  • 8 : MrMogadon : An Abysmal Tale

4 25.00%
  • 9 : Kalryper : A Cool Package

4 25.00%
  • 10 : GT : A New Birth

7 43.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Vote Poll - Theme "Childhood'

Drabble Vote Poll - Theme "Childhood'

WELCOME ONE AND ALL To this weeks SPECIAL AUDIO edition of the Abbraka Drabble competition thread.

You join me your host 'Psykokow' as we can now not just READ with our eyes but also LISTEN with our ears....
    CLICK HERE TO HEAR

I am attired in my golden mirror ball onesie to bring you this weeks offerings within the TOPIC of 'CHILDHOOD'

SO read or listen OR BOTH, and then select your TOP 3 choices for the best drabbles and help declare a winner to set next weeks topic. ALL ARE WELCOME TO ENTER each week...

And please do visit the Abbraka Drabble thread Sunday night to see if the new topic has been set, and who the winner of this week's vote was.

VOTE ON COMMANDERS!

Drabble Number : 01
    Author : Darkoba
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3757
    Title: Childhood's End
    Drabble : For several lonely years he had scooped or mined and refined fuel, collected hydrogen, oxygen, carbon and trace minerals for water and synthesiser nourishment. Driving on ever further, he had crossed the vast centre of the galaxy to the opposite arm. He was genuinely where no human had gone before.

Another system, another planet. Teeming with life! Towering buildings. A huge space-going vessel. His tiny Anaconda beamed gently into the enormous hold. First contact. Benign communication. Gifts of technology, insight and understanding.

They took him home. Years of travel covered in twelve hours!

Mankind’s childhood had come to an end.

---------------------------------

Drabble Number : 2
    Author : Darren Grey
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3759
    Title: Boris The Space Hamster
    Drabble : When I was eight years old I spaced my hamster.

I'm not sure I really understood what I was doing. I had dressed him up in a little foil cloak and helmet, and made him his own Cobra out of cardboard. ""Boris the Space Hamster"" I wrote on the side. I was really proud of it.

It didn't end well for Boris. His hamster face puffed up to twice its size, his little legs twitching as he floated in the nullifying cold. I could only watch as his lungs collapsed and out popped a ball of red goo.

Poor Boris.

Drabble Number : 3
    Author : Zieman
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3760
    Title: Miners Memories
    Drabble : Another sweaty workshift behind, Javier and Imogen relaxed in the lounge. “Phwew, hotter than usual, those radiators need cleaning soon.”, Imogen announced.

“Yeah, almost as warm as the holidays used to be on Magatha as I was a kid. Feels a lot nastier, with all the dust and no wind in these tunnels, and because the sweats isn’t going anywhere in zero-G.”, replied Javier. He continued: “I really miss those carefree days. They seem so far away... heck, they ARE far way, more than a decade and dozens of lightyears behind. How was your childhood?”

“What childhood?”, replied Imogen sourly.

Drabble Number : 4
    Author : Adzour
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3762
    Title: The Harshness of Reality
    Drabble : “Oh how I wish I was a child again” sighed the jaded cargo pilot. His shoulders slumped, heavy with a hidden debt.

His face was a rugged portrayal of a hard life. It's deep ridges long since consuming his happy childhood memories of space.

Once his eyes used to glow with awe at the magnificent heavenly orchestra of lights. His lips would smile at the concerto of spinning planets and moons that seemed to sweep him up into their arms to dance in space.

Now, those rose coloured glasses from his youth had gone, replaced by the emptiness of space.

Drabble Number : 5
    Author : Frank
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3763
    Title: Childhood's Beginning
    Drabble : Rock Ardman lined up his crosshairs on the Mosquito. Laser death spat from the mouth of his Me-109. "Die Imperial Scum!" as the fighter-bomber dissolved into a bright mushrooming cloud.

"Your tea's ready!"

Rock flicked a switch on his controller and he became Joe, a fat old man, sitting in an armchair in a Spiderman onesie.

His wife stood on the basement stairs scowling at him. He had long since given up on explaining that his games rig used better holo-display technology than the latest Federation fighters.

Her reply had been "Second childhood? You haven't finished your first childhood yet."

Drabble Number : 6
    Author : Ian Phillips
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3764
    Title: Childhood Regrets
    Drabble : The ship coasted along, undeviating and as apparently mindless as it's captain.

He sat in the pilots chair, staring out at the star speckled vista without registering it.

In his mind's eye his last trip home played out over and over. A meeting with a childhood sweetheart. Sitting in the bar, holding her hand and wondering at the ease of contact after so many years alone amongst the stars.

Had he made the right choices all those years ago? Could he have had a different life? A life with someone who loved him?

Slowly he reached for the hyperspace activation.

Drabble Number : 7
    Author : Splendour
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3765
    Title: Above the Infant World
    Drabble : This was a young system at the start of its formative years. The warm blanket of the accretion disc circling the new star was broken by glowing points of heat, proto planets. Sal gloried at the sight as the ship dived down towards the largest magma sphere, skimming hot dust radiant in infant suns glow.

Zak called from the copilots panel. "You could hide the entire Federal Navy in this and no one would ever find them. You sure this is the place?"

In the hot gas ahead points of light flashed, thrusters firing as an Anaconda rose into view.

Drabble Number : 8
    Author : MrMogadon
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3766
    Title: An Abysmal Tale
    Drabble : The darkness swarmed and flowed. A malignant thing watching, and waiting, and planning. Hearing a silent laugh behind him, Jack twirled, stumbled and fell into Stygian black. Eventually, hitting bottom, his mouth became a thousand fibrous fingers, smelling of misery, death and strangely, stale cologne.
    The darkness ebbed and grew paler; slowly resolving itself into his long-pile rug; his room; his apartment.
    As a boy, he dreaded those nightmares. Traumatising him sometimes for days afterwards
    He, now an adult, half out of bed, face-first on the floor, struggling to right himself, laughed at his absurdity.

Childhood, you can keep it!!

Drabble Number : 9
    Author : Kalryper
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3770
    Title: A Cool Package
    Drabble : Shadow smothered the canister; reclaimed from the void by a cargo scoop. A reversal of its birth, seeded so long ago with its many siblings, now scattered and lost; their birth cry announced by the explosive death of their surrogate parent – Ann O’conda.

Within the metal womb, the canister shed its crystalline skin, warmed by the internal atmosphere, pooling water around the base of its upright form. Despite the scorch marks of a violent birth, its natural stencilled glyphs remained visible: “Elite: Dangerous – Beta Version”.

The crew clustered around the container, eager to open it and revisit their childhood memories.

Drabble Number : 10
    Author : GT
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3774
    Title: A New Birth
    Drabble : 'Keep breathing Mary...'

The doctor and midwife knew it was hopeless with all the internal bleeding. They tried to spur her on, but she had nothing left to give.

'What have you done to me...' she cried as her body fell limp, exhausted and lifeless. With tears in his eyes, the doctor picked up his scalpel and drew a neat line down her abdomen. First the oval head appeared, then two, four and finally six legs. At last the incubation of a Tharglet could lead to a greater understanding, and potentially the destruction, of the greatest threat to man's existence.

Now in glorious tecni-sound!

Thanks Grant, it sounded great, although I was waiting for the sound of a wet lettuce during the last drabble

Sooo difficult to choose! Had to use a process of elimination again - took ages!

To go beyond (in Kaze no Uta)... to drabble a bit ... and then return

Looks like it's going to be a close one this week.

Big thanks to Psykokow for the audio work - good to know you're in touch with your inner 'thesp'
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

I just listened to the audio version. Wonderful!

What you did with my Drabble was just brilliant.

I hope that the novelty of having someone read the Drabbles out to them brings in more people. The effort you put into this should get a few more people voting.

Thanks, Frank.

It's not easy getting the original feel for the text when you don't write it...

So I think going forward it would be good if writers record their own drabbles where they want to or feel they need to.

Send to me and I'll pop em together and up.

I could even create a abbraka drabble podcast if enough people want.

It would then pop up on itunes. and rss feeds.

I also meant to add that I am more than happy to record anyone's drabble where required.

All Drabbles are now LEGAL!!

Hurrah! Thanks guys.. sorry for being absent during the week.

well this is shaping up to be a close run vote!!!

WHO WILL TAKE THE HONOURS!!

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    well this is shaping up to be a close run vote!!!

WHO WILL TAKE THE HONOURS!!
    I will!

Second time in a row with ZERO votes!

Oh well, somebody has to set the bottom line everyone has top!

Please, no pity votes.

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat ... and keep it under Lightspeed!
    My Elite: Dangerous videos , Logitech Extreme 3D Pro bindings , Explorer visual reference

Love the recording, Psykokow
    Tales from the Frontier - an anthology of official Elite: Dangerous stories

I've been on vacation, so I didn't have time to write a drabble, but I enjoyed reading them all and casting my vote! Y'all kept the choice difficult! Great jobs, everyone.

My goodness, three people on 6 votes each... WHO has the lurking vote to make the difference?

Are you out there? waiting to swing this vote ?

Well come on!!!

OK whoever add those votes DIDN'T HELP!!!

Still very close and not long to go..

GET YOUR VOTES IN please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast