• 10 : Rog : Running Quietly

5 41.67%
  • 11 : Erik Marcaigh : RL

2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll : Run & Secrecy

Drabble Poll : Run & Secrecy

Welcome to this weeks DRABBLE POLL!! Please follow the usual rules.
    Vote for your favourite 3 (Excluding your own), anyone and everyone is welcome to vote. ANd please do visit the Abraka Drabble thread on Monday to submit your own.

THIS WEEK WE HAVE AUDIO!!!! AGAIN!!
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE DRABBLES

Drabble Number : 01
    Author : Darkoba
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3813
    Title: Webs We Weave
    Drabble : "I must run! Danger! Run! Left, right, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7, 4, 8… Blown from the airco, I’ve landed on a soft, pink landscape with stubbly spikes. Danger! A pink cliff lowers in front of me! Climb!

I reach the top. Which way?

The cliff moves, lifting into the air. It comes down by some greenery. Can I reach it? Run!

Under the greenery. Safe? Tuck myself into a secret hiding place. Pull my legs in, keep still.

Dar’koba smiled as the spider hid under the leaf. “Spiders are our friends. We should take good care of them.”"

---------------------------------

Drabble Number : 2
    Author : GT
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3814
    Title: Secret Race
    Drabble : "Marquis Stryder was summoned to the Capitol for his final interview at the end of a long and distinguished career as a truly elite Imperial pilot.

The debriefing officer twirled his moustache. 'Stryder, how would you feel about fighting Federal scum for another 35 years?'

'... I don't understand Sir...'

'We can't afford not to have pilots of your calibre. You've earned your retirement, but you'll continue to fight.'

Twelve masked men entered in the livery of the Imperial guard, and showed their faces. His face.

'Fresh from our new clone factory. Our master race, for the glory of the Empire.'"

Drabble Number : 3
    Author : Frank
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3816
    Title: Glorious War
    Drabble : """Admiral?""

The great tactician, Admiral Solomon looked around the war room at the sea of expectant eyes. ""There are quite a few factors to consider. I am going to my office to ponder my decision.""

As soon as the office door closed, his confident stride became a hurried trot. He made it to his toilet in time. The semi-solid contents of his bowels sputtered into the lavatory pan.

Solomon found these sorts of decisions easy to make. He cared about each and every life under his command and he knew how to minimise casualties. The difficult part were the consequences."

Drabble Number : 4
    Author : Ian Phillips
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3817
    Title: A Guide
    Drabble : "Plush offices with thick, sound damping carpets, real wood furniture and old world decorations created an atmosphere of quiet seriousness.

They were ushered into an office containing a desk with two chairs facing it.

Behind the desk was the lawyer, hands resting on the will.

They exchanged glances as they sat for the reading of the will.

Later they emerged holding a small box, decorated with expensive inlays showing an intricate pattern of circles and points.

Once home they produced the key and opened the box. The note read ""The box is your guide to a succesful smugglers secret run."""

Drabble Number : 5
    Author : azdour
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3818
    Title: Your own worst enemy
    Drabble : "I was lost but I knew I had to run. But run from what?

A deep voice bellowed, “There is a no escape, no where to run to”.

I slipped, startled by the voice.

How had they found me?

A cold shadow fell over me like a shadowy sheet.

I spun and screamed as the abomination from my nightmares slithered forwards.

“Tell us your secret and we will save you”.

In the lab the Imperial scientist monitored the direct virtual reality feed into the body on the table.

“We’ll soon extract the secrets from this Federation agent” he muttered."

Drabble Number : 6
    Author : MrMogadon
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3820
    Title: Why
    Drabble : "An experimental fighter approaches a derelict refuelling station for a secret rendezvous.

The station’s ageing weaponry starts firing aimlessly.

“REPORT” the pilot commanded.

“Armaments: Splashdash Mortars and Reddot Lasers. No threat!” the computer stated.

BOOM, a mortar splashed harmlessly against the shields.

“Docking doors open”

pewt, an ineffectual laser burst followed

BOOM, pewt

“WHY?”

pewt, BOOM

“WHY?”

pewt, BOOM, BOOM, pewt

“Shall we dock?”

pewt, BOOM, pewt

Memories stirred. Flashbacks to basic training

pewt, pewt, BOOM

…ancient warfare…

BOOM, pewt

Silence, then the firing repeated.

..communications.

REALISATION!!!

“HALT! TARGET STATION. FIRE EVERYTHING”

He repeated “Thanks”, saluting his dead comrades' ingenuity"

Drabble Number : 7
    Author : Kalryper
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3821
    Title: Just A Myth
    Drabble : "
    While docked, Simyen felt exposed. The low-res scan on her monitor acted like a beacon with a bright, ethereal arrow pointed at her ship … or so she imagined.

The static image was of a planet. A polar cap decorated with structures, formed the Elite insignia. Her eureka moment was not of elation but dread.

Despite an empty cargo hold, she requested docking clearance. After a notable pause her heart quickened – permission granted.

The Krait lifted off and wasted no time heading for the void. Within, a red light blinked, illuminating a device attached to one of the retracted legs."

Drabble Number : 8
    Author : Psykokow
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3836
    Title: Useful Contacts
    Drabble : "They made their way along the dark passage way, pulling 6 containers of stolen cargo.
    ‘Hey Tsark? This leads into the station right?’
    ‘Yes, it is our old secret smugglers tunnel… right passed security’
    ‘Wow, I was told you were a useful contact!, they’re weren’t kidding’
    ‘Yes I have many useful secrets, now we must hurry up’
    A light appeared in the tunnel ahead.
    ‘Wow is that the exit already? That was quicker than I thought’
    ‘Yes, it will be over soon’
    Ten heavily armed men with torches approached them.
    ‘This is another one of my secrets’ Tsark smiled menacingly.
    "

Drabble Number : 9
    Author : Insanephoton
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3832
    Title: Dangerous Talk
    Drabble : "Do you want to know a secret?

It'll cost you. I don't give them away for free. There's a surprising amount of money to made from selling secrets. You just need to know who to sell them to.

Oh don't give me that look. It's not what you think. I'm not selling state secrets. That's a mug's game. Imperial security have a reputation for silencing people permanently. No, I deal in business secrets, it's usually much safer.

You never told me what you do? Corporate security for Mastopolis you say? Oh my, is that the time? I really must run."

Drabble Number : 10
    Author : Rog
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3831
    Title: Running Quietly
    Drabble : "They always run.

We always stop them in time.

Well, so far yes...

Measures are in place. The outlying picket drones are effective...

...Quite so, but our luck will eventually expire.

Luck? <eternity passed> Ah, a joke. A disturbingly common habit with some of you.

The debris has been erased, appropriate ghost signals transmitted. Just another prospecting ship vanishing in the deep.

That's 36 incursions in the last 118 years!

Our secret is safe...

Complacency!

We should relocate. Or make our move.

Many others are not ready yet. Soon...

Deep within the mineral rich moon, the AI hive preparations continued."

Drabble Number : 11
    Author : Erik Marcaigh
    Link : http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpos...postcount=3842
    Title: RL
    Drabble : "Tom got into work with a purpose that Tuesday, filling out forms, hustling papers and files up and down the hallways. His bosses were impressed.

Every once in a while, he'd stop and check the forums. He was tempted to have called in sick that day, knowing the Brits would probably have their hands on the game while it was still morning, his time. It wasn't the case this time though. Then the gates opened about 3pm for him and he worked hard through the download.

The last hour at work. Mouse and keyboard. Best way to play Elite clandestinely."

OMG, the SFX for Frank's... LOL

Not for the faint of ear, mind you!

That's a fantastic graphic for the title. The audio is loading just now. I can't wait to hear the sound effects <smirk>

And now it's downloaded. Which Drabbles to vote for? I'm away to "ponder my decision"

A wildly varying selection this week. Great voice work by Ian and again from Grant.

Sound effects added so much more to Frank's drabble than I would ever have thought desirable
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

I just listened to the audio... Wow!

There's a lot of talk about how the great sound effects on Elite Dangerous enhances the game. What Psykokow has done with my Drabble really demonstrates the massive difference sound can make.

Here's a big thank you to Ian and Psykokow... THANKS!

The audio version is great for me as well. I can listen to all the Drabbles a few time while I'm working. It helps me make up my mind. They are all of such high quality it's difficult to choose.

Is there any desire to have it on an itunes podcast?

OR Rss feed?

Either choice does not affect me. I don't have iTunes, and downloading from here is as convenient as I need.

I could see why you'd want to do it though. It might raise the profile of our friendly little competition.

Beta is going very well as you can see by the abysmal turn out to vote.

Please take a few mins to make your 3 choices!

Whoops! I forgot to vote

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Beta is going very well as you can see by the abysmal turn out to vote.

Please take a few mins to make your 3 choices!
    I barely had time to write. I have to read (or listen to) everything and vote as well?? Now that's just crazy talk. I'm in a Type 6 with a million credits, and several more million to make!

I gotta run back to my ship so I can play on secretly through the night...

Enjoyable drabblings this week, and splendid logo-ing and audio work.

The audio FX on Frank's were.... remarkable. I possibly shouldn't have listened to that with a weapons-grade hangover.

Still time for people to vote for their favourite three.

Well done Insanephoton. That was a great Drabble. You may have won this week's accolades and the honour of choosing the next topic.

But I feel that I myself won a special prize this week, the excellent audio version of my Drabble

Nice win Insanephoton, looking forward to seeing the new topic.

Congratulations Insanephoton. Great drabble and well deserved winner this week.
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

Thanks guys, especially to psykokow for his fantastic reading. It really added something to it. Now for the hard bit, choosing a subject. The subject for this week is Opportunity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast