Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ChangoDock.com Travel Planner

Arrow ChangoDock.com Travel Planner

http://changodock.com

I have created this tool to make it easier to travel around.

Features:
    - Create a very accurate travel plan that is easy to execute.
    - Select your ship.
    - Select how much cargo you want to take with you.
    - Select how much outfit you got on your ship.
    - Travel with the least possible jumps/refuels.
    - The ships page shows my calculated ranges and more info about the ships.

It currently supports 1 refuel (in some edge cases 2).

Changelog:
    - 23 aug 2014: Faster calculation, preparing for longer routes to more systems or multiple refuels.
    - 22 aug 2014: Added a permalink/share option for a planned route. Added a history panel to see which routes you planned, click on it to see the route again.
    - 21 aug 2014: Added the button to easily switch start and end destinations.
    - 20 aug 2014: Changed the layout of the route to also reflect the government. Anarchy stands out with a red label. (Thanks to SlimExpert for the idea)

Future plans:
    - Support multiple refuels.
    - Give me some more ideas!

ChangoDock.com Travel Planner

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

nice idea for a site, only one MAJOR problem i see with it right now is that it doesnt conform to the media usage rules.

you need to add the long form disclaimer to your site:

Long form:
    "[Name of your project] was created using assets and imagery from Elite: Dangerous, with the permission of Frontier Developments plc, for non-commercial purposes. It is not endorsed by nor reflects the views or opinions of Frontier Developments and no employee of Frontier Developments was involved in the making of it."

The long form version should be used for video content, community sites/fan pages or for longer editorials, where it can be adequately fitted in without affecting the creativity of the piece. This could be in the credits, header/footer, or terms & conditions, depending on the nature of the content. As long as it is not deliberately obscured or hidden from viewers.

That's a brilliant tool!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AndyB(EDB50) View Post (Source)
    you need to add the long form disclaimer to your site
    I added a disclaimer to the footer. Thanks for pointing this out.

Looks good! Might get tricky to maintain once we start getting thousands of systems.. Can I make a suggestion - the ability to sort alphabetically by system OR station name.

Might be nice to see the target destination drop down populate with only the locations you can currently get to based on the ship/cargo/equipment. You're already doing the calculations (I'm assuming on form submit) so you'd need to just modify those to actually do it via javascript or ajax and then you'd be able to do the calculation and limit the targets dropdown with valid destinations. I think this would be an interesting improvement. Hit me up if you need a hand.

Brilliant tool. If only there were a simplified graphical version to show alternative routes for sake of anarchy and profits.

This is a great little tool, especially with the ship reference page. Did you have to program in the systems and ships manually or are you pulling them from somewhere? If you are pulling them, does that mean this tool will scale when the full galaxy is available?

I have a moral quandary... I'm running (and participating in) a multi-system point-to-point race. This little ol' tool here is perfect for finding quick routes. Should I tell the others, or ask that you could hide this topic until, oh, say Sunday?

Tidy.

My only suggestion, include the Type of system (Anarchy, Fed, Empire) you may not want to refuel in an Anarchy system!

Slim.

PS. Is that Bootstrap you used?

Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post (Source)
    This is a great little tool, especially with the ship reference page. Did you have to program in the systems and ships manually or are you pulling them from somewhere? If you are pulling them, does that mean this tool will scale when the full galaxy is available?

I have a moral quandary... I'm running (and participating in) a multi-system point-to-point race. This little ol' tool here is perfect for finding quick routes. Should I tell the others, or ask that you could hide this topic until, oh, say Sunday?
    Too late, I found it

Thumbs up

Thanks all for the nice words and great ideas, keep 'em coming!

Originally Posted by CaptainTrips View Post (Source)
    Looks good! Might get tricky to maintain once we start getting thousands of systems.. Can I make a suggestion - the ability to sort alphabetically by system OR station name.
    More systems is a greater programming challange for me, fun! The sorting idea sure is something to try out. Thanks

Originally Posted by bttlsgtmajor View Post (Source)
    Might be nice to see the target destination drop down populate with only the locations you can currently get to based on the ship/cargo/equipment. You're already doing the calculations (I'm assuming on form submit) so you'd need to just modify those to actually do it via javascript or ajax and then you'd be able to do the calculation and limit the targets dropdown with valid destinations. I think this would be an interesting improvement. Hit me up if you need a hand.
    This is an interesting idea! I think I will give the unreachable systems/stations a visual indicator they are not reachable. Will take some time to implement though.

Originally Posted by ElectricZ View Post (Source)
    The ships and system are now kind of static. I will try to keep them up to date. Report anything missing in this thread please.

Originally Posted by SlimExpert View Post (Source)
    Tidy.

My only suggestion, include the Type of system (Anarchy, Fed, Empire) you may not want to refuel in an Anarchy system!

Slim.

PS. Is that Bootstrap you used?
    Good call on the anarchy systems. I will try to make an option to not fuel there or show alternative routes. And yes, I used a bootstrap template. I am an engineer, not a designer.

Nice Work ChangoDock!

A strange bug for you to look at, if I may raise the ticket with you :

Pick a Sidey from Magec to Wyrd with 0 cargo and 0 loadout, and you need 7 jumps. If you pick 4 cargo, however, then you need 6 jumps.

Either way, only 6 jumps should be necessary. The first option added Styx for some reason?

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TunaMage View Post (Source)
    Nice Work ChangoDock!

A strange bug for you to look at, if I may raise the ticket with you :

Pick a Sidey from Magec to Wyrd with 0 cargo and 0 loadout, and you need 7 jumps. If you pick 4 cargo, however, then you need 6 jumps.

Either way, only 6 jumps should be necessary. The first option added Styx for some reason?
    Excellent find! There was a premature optimization that refuels if there is only one jump left to the destination. (The case with 0 cargo) I removed it so it will keep searching for a better path. Now you can find a route for your Sidey with 0 cargo in 5 jumps and 1 refuel. Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast