• 02 - Rog - Tapittytap...

5 33.33%
  • 03 - Frank - Really really REALLY Free

6 40.00%
  • 04 - Ian Phillips - Surprise supreme

5 33.33%
  • 05 - azdour - A Birthday Challenge

2 13.33%
  • 06 - Galactic midden - Cue Don LaFontaine voiceover man...

2 13.33%
  • 07 - Falkenherz - Birthday cake (101)

2 13.33%
  • 08 - rootsrat - Blowing the candles

5 33.33%
  • 09 - MrMogadon - BEST OF THREE?

8 53.33%
  • 10 - Splendour - Dangerous from birth

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: Birthday Heroics

Drabble Poll: Birthday Heroics

This is a very special time for MikeSnos. Not only has he won the prestigious prize of 1st place in our Drabble contest, but is was recently his birthday. Please give him a round of applause, and make a special effort to vote in this week's contest.

Please do vote. Pick three of the above stories. Anyone picking their own Drabble will be taken outside and given some very painful dumps.

LISTEN TO THE DRABBLES HERE

Here's a reminder of tonight's acts

How on earth did you manage to reply so quickly? I was in the middle of doing the poll. Your reply was there before I'd finished typing all the entries<wow>

01 - insanephoton - The Hero of the Hour

'Mayday! Mayday! This is the starship Drabbler, we're being attacked, our drives are down, requesting urgent assistance.'

Tess grabbed the mic and replied 'Drabbler, this is rescue station one nine. Despatching assistance to you right now.'

'I guess that means me?' Mike said sardonically.

'But Mike, you can't go. It's your birthday. I'll send one of the others.'

'Tess Coe, you're a wonderful woman but look around. Frank is dead drunk, TLG is exhausted and Rog has gone a funny colour. None of them is in a fit state to fly. Those people are depending on me.'

'Good luck, Mike.'

02 - Rog - Tapittytap...

Achilles CIWS: Congratulations on choosing...
    Tap.

Under the usual anti-AI treaties, the Achilles Close-In Weapons System is the premier semi-autonomous close/medium range....
    Tap!

Inception date?
    Hector stabbed at the return key, and the system went live. "Hoppy Birthday!" He slurred, gulping his Janx and pouring another. "You and me both."

No one ever got fired for having good station defence. Right? And just in time for tomorrow's(?) visit from the senate representative.

Muffled explosions reverberated through the habitat ring.

Taking the bottle, he headed for Freeport's dockside bars to continue his annual rite.

Yeah, he'd be fine by tomorrow.

03 - Frank - Really really REALLY Free

The clone of Hughie Green grimaced as he viewed the holovid. He had been resurrected to find new talent, not host garbage like this.

"So the movie's about the trials and tribulations of getting one of those longhaired flower power types to wash?"

The director shuffled uneasily on his chair. It wasn't going as well as he'd expected. "This is a sequel. The first one sold very well."

"Am I right in thinking the first one was about washing a girl? This one is just scrubbing an ugly naked old man. What's it called?"

"'A Hippy Bath Day 2', Hugh."

04 - Ian Phillips - Surprise supreme

Psykokow huffed and puffed as he struggled to lace the corset up. Placing a knee on his collegues back he strained, turning purple from the effort. A wimpering groan floated past his ears as the cords tightened. Rolls of fat compressed and were pushed upwards by the constriction, escaping to emphasise an already ample bosom.

Finished he stumbled back, gasping for breath before casting an appraising look at his handywork. Swallowing hard he said, "Yes, it looks great. The outfit really suits you, lets go."

Susan Boils climbed into the cake.

"One Wonder Woman 'Birthday Heroics' cake ready to go"

05 - azdour - A Birthday Challenge

I come from a long line of military service where birthdays were important and not to be missed.

My birthday party was organised to be on the independent planet of Orand, a world in civil war.

As my ship jumped in and approached Orand, the war on the planet fell silent in anticipation.

I flew the federation battle cruiser down to the surface, avoiding the automatic ground defences, and rushed to the venue wanting to be first.

I was.

After my court martial I somehow think that next year it will be more difficult for me to attend my birthday...

06 - Galactic midden - Cue Don LaFontaine voiceover man...

In a galaxy of fast food and incompetent serving staff, Mars is suffering a planetwide catastrophe.

It's Mars-Day Festival and idiots in the McThargoids factory have added dangerous amounts of Lavian Whisky into the 'special' celebration sauce. Now all McThargoids products are explosive and the planet is burning.

Arnie Absastone plays Quell Quaich, a McThargoids Asp Explorer trucker with the ability to transport infinite volatile spirits and never spill or explode.

Quaich is berthed at Barnard Station, when Station Controller David Broobin suddenly activates comms shouting
    "Quaich! There's been a <bleep> total recall!

You gotta get your Asp to Mars!"

07 - Falkenherz - Birthday cake (101)

A ship approaches; an Anaconda class system security vessel. It starts scanning and I already know that a hell of a fight is pending, once their screen will start flashing red.
    The ship looses some cargo before I obliterate it. Because I can. Yes, feel the dark side, feel my power. But even as monstrous murderer and pirate, I must sustain my life and my murder weapon. So I start scooping. Grain. Biowaste. Radioactive Waste. Consumer Electronics. Cobalt. It is not easy to be a murderer and pirate. A cargo units pops open. What the...? Slaves; women, children. Happy birthday, hero.

08 - rootsrat - Blowing the candles

“Don’t peek, Marcus!”

“Easier said than done on my 18th birthday” I thought, wondering what’s the surprise that my dad, the local pirate lord, has had prepared for me.

Minutes turned into hours as our Anaconda slowly approached its target.

“You can look now.”

Finally!

I opened my eyes and saw eighteen Sidewinders with disabled engines lined up in a circle and painted in yellow stripes – colour of betrayers. The pilots must have been slaves that recently tried to escape from our hidden base.

“You’re a man now. The space is your birthday cake. Now blow those candles – to pieces!”

09 - MrMogadon - BEST OF THREE?

On the operating table of the ancient medical transport Tabitha, a woman found amongst the wreckage of a pirate plundered Cobra, succumbed to her wounds and breathed her last.

A faint heartbeat within, meant the doctor had to deliver the premature baby; procedure followed, box ticked.
    Sickly, underdeveloped, afflicted by breathing difficulties and fits (any one of which should have sent it flying into the abyss), the baby lived, a lost cause - no hope. But still it struggled on, clawing its way, breathe by breathe; second by second towards life.

Finally, death retreated conceding this day to this little hero.

10 - Splendour - Dangerous from birth

The Zorgon Petterson factory doors ground open and the platform lurched forwards, giving the Fer-de-Lance its first glimpse of cold starlight.

However not every point of light up there was as disinterested as the eons old giants of the heavens. One grew brighter as it streaked through the thin atmosphere towards the facility.

Thrusters fired, blue lances stabbing as the Fer-de-Lance lazily lifted from the platform and turned to face the growing glow.

Ruby beams tore the air tracing a line directly towards the onrushing light that grew, and grew, then suddenly, blindingly, exploded.

“Kill confirmed. Happy Birthday Fer-de-Lance 1.”

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Please do vote. Pick three of the above stories. Anyone picking their own Drabble will be taken outside and given some very painful dumps.

....don't you mean "lumps"? LOL

Is that not something you do in the USA? When it's someone's birthday a group of us grab them by their limbs and bounce them off the playground tarmac. One bounce for each year.

The painful version for self-voters is where you kick them in the back each time you hoist them into the air.

Is that not something you do in the USA? When it's someone's birthday a group of us grab them by their limbs and bounce them off the playground tarmac. One bounce for each year.

The painful version for self-voters is where you kick them in the back each time you hoist them into the air.
    Erm, no. It's spankings over here. With the wife/girlfriend/mistress, it can get quite fun.

At my age if someone spanked me for each year I've lived, I'd end up with serious injuries and she'd be too exhausted to do anything else <sigh>

The Dumps seems to be more of a Scottish thing. It might even be dying out. You can't even drop kids repeatedly onto hard surfaces these days. It's health and safety gone mad!

bumps dumps yeah,,, we do that... but mostly drinking

Once we go independent The Dumps will be mandatory.

I'll just leave the post the way it is. I'm sure anyone who was considering voting for themselves will be able to deduce the threatening nature of the text.

We called them bumps in the west country. Dumps is something entirely different
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

How on earth did you manage to reply so quickly? I was in the middle of doing the poll. Your reply was there before I'd finished typing all the entries<wow>
    I just happened to click 'New posts' at the opportune moment!

Tip : When doing polls I usually have the answers already thought out/typed up in Notepad so I can copy/paste them quickly to avoid smart alecs getting ahead of things

Excellent set of Drabbles for an excellent topic.... Who's idea was that!?!

PS : We called them the Bumps around these parts... Due to the date of my birthday I managed to avoid them (they were usually dished out at School!)

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    .... It's spankings over here......
    I always knew I liked America

When I was growing up it in Scotland it was always "the bumps" on your birthday, but this was basically just some-one punching you in the back.. ah those carefree days of yore
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

Here in Yorkshire at school the bumps generally consisted of being hoisted in the air by all four limbs and then being dropped repeatedly, once for each year. Or if you were lucky just bouncing your backside off the tarmac.

How low can you go?

Grrr Psykokow! <shakes fist> You've made my choice difficult. MrMogadon's Drabble is really good as you pointed out. Ian Phillips' entry has risen in my estimation as well <grin>. I now have some hard pondering to do.

As a punishment I'm going to make my next Drabble an even worse pun than before. It'll have your small intestine leaping up your neck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_bebhU-8Y#t=87

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast