View Poll Results: Which three (3) drabbles are so great, that they can not escape your attention?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank - Puzzle Pun Number 001

2 11.11%
  • Darren Grey - Escape Vector

4 22.22%
  • Erik Marcaigh - The Rootsrat's Unwritten History

2 11.11%
  • T.J - Dreaming of The Great Escape

2 11.11%
  • azdour - Between a Rock and a Hard Place

8 44.44%
  • Yaffle - The final escape

5 27.78%
  • Galactic Midden - Angel of Mercy

1 5.56%
  • MrMogadon - Let me tell you how they got there motto "Magna Figam et Victus"

3 16.67%
  • W4rSkuLL - A ratty business

3 16.67%
  • insanephoton - Golden Ticket

9 50.00%
  • Ian Phillips - It's still a dirty job!

5 27.78%
  • Psykokow - Rotton

3 16.67%
  • Splendour - The Cooler King runs cold

7 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: The Great Escape

Drabble Poll: The Great Escape

There is no Escape from this Drabble Poll. Everyone must vote. Everyone must vote three (3) times. No one shall vote for their own drabble, or they shall be shoved in the airlock with the garbage for "The Great Escape" before a hyperspace jump!

The poll will be open for three entire days, wrapping up Sunday night. So you have time, but not much! Make those votes count!

CLICK HERE FOR AUDIO VERSION

---<<{***}>>---

01 - Frank - Puzzle Pun Number 001

Gore E Trout was a flamboyant Holotelevision chef with a signature style. He loved grating everything. All his dishes included grated cheese, grated chocolate, or grated whatever. Today's was a Christmas special with grated jonty bass, but something was up. He was frantically searching around. He refused to face his audience without his famous item of clothing; a superhero's cape that had a picture of a grater on it.

The director knew where he'd left it. Every Christmas, Gore would get a little tipsy and leave his cape on the main television monitor. The director pointed to it and said...

02 - Darren Grey - Escape Vector

I woke to the sound of blaring klaxons, every systems failure notification lit up. 'Oh great,' I muttered.

I didn't remember much after the battle, but I guess I must've escaped, or maybe was just left for dead. My ship was now rocketing into a stormy gas giant, its corrosive atmosphere filling my view.

The hull screeched and explosions rocked the ship. I hit the escape capsule button just before the flames engulfed me.

Now I'm lying here looking at the "drive failure" message inside the capsule, as I fall deeper into the giant’s embrace. No rescue, no escape. 'Great.'

03 - Erik Marcaigh - The Rootsrat's Unwritten History

Kalran quickly discovered owning a Psykokow was a liability. He couldn't resell it and the original farmer wouldn't even take it back for free. As a Hindi, he could not bring harm to the Kow either.

Giving the Kow a medicinal laxative, it's bowels were completely evacuated in a great explosion. He was then able to pawn the thing off on a Commander T.J. who was searching for a new addition to his zoo.

In the meantime, the exterminator applied fermented grape extract to the land. The cheap wine cleared out the Rootsrats in what they would always call...

04 - T.J - Dreaming of The Great Escape

Frank held the controller, sweat soaking his forehead.

Would he at last get away with it after 30 years?

It was almost upon him the tension was building, his hand shook with excitement.

Checking the coast was clear he pressed the red button.

Every year he tried, every year he failed miserably.

Ecstasy filled him as the sound he'd dreamed about filled his ears.

'FRANK! Your not watching that film, I want to see the queens speech.'

Frank muttered darkly as he switched it over to ITV.

'Yes dear.'

He'd have to suffer The Sound of flipping Music after this.

05 - azdour - Between a Rock and a Hard Place

The appearance of the fleet of police vipers from hyperspace signalled the game was up for the hidden pirate base in the asteroid belt.

Mass panic ensued, followed by a mass exodus of ships trying desperately to escape.

But with the reign of fire directed at the stations entrance they had no chance.

While the carnage unfolded around the base, a small chunk of rock had gone unnoticed.

Silently and slowly it departed until it was positioned with the other asteroids, hidden in plain sight.

The great escape – if you can have stations built within rock... why not a ship?

06 - Yaffle - The final escape

Alex’s room was squalid. Technically it was neither a room nor his; he’d been hiding in a dumpster by the loading bay for days now, seeking a way out, a solution, an escape.
    The past filled his mind; Sarah’s eyes laughing, then her screaming as the pirate attack stole the cargo and her life. He’d escaped then, it was anything but great. She was gone, everything gone, cargo still owed to The Clan.
    His sole escape plan was in front of him, the only way he could get out. He picked up the pistol, and placed it in his mouth.

07 - Galactic Midden - Angel of Mercy

The line mustn't be corrupted, the Matriarch commanded.
    Her crimes were severe, atonement was death.
    Enduringly the angels would protect the line…

Gert understood, others of the line mustn't bear fruit.
    Religious law on Arouca was unchallengeable,
    Especially the angels wouldn't corrupt her line…
    Alright thought Gert, it’s time.
    The target stopped at a door as if sensing the enforcer.

EVEN AN ANGEL SHOULDN’T CROSS THE LINE…
    Suddenly uncertain, Gert hesitated.
    Children ran unsuspecting into the targets arms, “mother you’re home!”
    Abandoning enforcement Gert questioned the law.
    Perhaps the doctrine was the corruption?
    Eventually one angel had saved the line…

08 - MrMogadon - Let me tell you how they got there motto "Magna figam et Victus"

Their first CO was Carluthus Frang, a retired SpecOps captain and devotee of Sol general Alexander III and were one platoon in a company of volunteers.

Records show that Frang's platoon performed phenomenally well during training.

The company's last training mission was to reconnoitre an abandoned remote station.

Turns out it was a trap.

The Federation were waiting: guns ready.

A bloodbath ensued with only Frang's platoon getting out. Regrouping, they returned to inflict unbelievable carnage and defeat the enemy.

After victory, they were christened The Great after Alexander III and soon after their motto The Great Escape and Overcome

09 - W4rSkuLL - A ratty business

"God damn rat stew again", Wankler mumbled to himself.

After escaping the civil wars in Eranin, and hiding in the LP-98-132 system.
    Things had become even worse. No credits, no jobs, just plain hell and misery.

And the filthy rats of Freeport were his only friends and food source.
    He wished he had died an honorable death in the conflict zone, not deserted like a coward.
    "Well, I guess this is a suitable reward". He mumbled again.

Suddenly he was chocking on the stew, rushed up, stepped on a rat, slipped and broke his neck.

Freeport rats feasted that night.

10 - insanephoton - Golden Ticket

Most kids dream of getting a ship of their own when they grow up. The sad truth is that most of us on this planet never get the chance. Our dreams get crushed by real life. The need to make a living means that most people will take the dull corporate career path or join the military or worse.

Like most people I had accepted my fate, until last week. I found her in a scrapyard. An old Sidewinder. She seems to be in working order,. I've spent most of my savings to buy her. She's my ticket to freedom.

11 - Ian Phillips - It's still a dirty job!

Susan was covered in cream and multicoloured hundreds and thousands. The 30th birthday party had been a great success, climaxed by Susan bursting out of the cake at the party's high point.

Now it was time to clean up.

Psykokow manouevered her into the showers and hosed her down, cream and coloured streaks from the cake decorations swirling away down the drain.

She emerged dripping water everywhere the Wonder Woman costume visibly bulging at the seams.

She cooed at Psykokow who, knowing what was about to happen, swallowed nervously.

Turning, she presented the corset laces, ready for the "Great Escape".

12 - Psykokow - Rotton

Commander Frank rolled the oval carefully into position. So far 14,352 little domes in position, another 600 and he’d have his sculpture finished.
    The critics stood at the back of the Thargoid and fer-de-lance bar watching his every move, taking notes and tutting when slight rule violations occurred.
    3 Days solid he’d spent making this exact replica of the famous landscapes of Lave, it took as long to collect all the oval eggs from the stations farmers… a huge personal cost for this amazing endeavour. And now… the last egg rolled into place, his great egg scape was now complete.

13 - Splendour - The Cooler King runs cold

Virgil glanced at the fuel gauge of his stolen sidewinder. Nearly empty. A full tank would get him out of Imperial space if nothing went wrong.

He nervously eyed the blips surrounding the small outpost amongst the ice rings. Imperials the lot of them.

He had nearly made it to the pad when *Ping* "Routine security scan."
    Virgil swung his sidewinder round towards the incoming eagle, thumbed full power to shields, and jabbed the boosters.

The collision sent the eagle spinning. Virgil ejected a heatsink and dived for the rings, running cold, a hornet’s nest of ships swarming after him.

Audio version added to OP enjoy all... good batch this week.

Great job again with the audio, 'Kow. I know we all appreciate your effort recording and hosting it.

But you couldn't figure out my puzzle?

The cheap wine cleared out the Rootsrats in what they would always call...
    The Great Escape! (duh)
    ---
    Did you catch the other two "Great Escapes"?

1) "bowels were completely evacuated" a great escape!
    2) grape extract (ok, that one was terrible)

Great work on the readings this week. I lost count, how many readers did we have this week? I didn't recognise whoever read out Midden's and mine.

Good luck everybody.

Originally Posted by MrMogadon View Post (Source)
    Great work on the readings this week. I lost count, how many readers did we have this week? I didn't recognise whoever read out Midden's and mine.

Good luck everybody.
    That was Ian McKellan... I mean, Phillips. Yes, our very own Ian Phillips.

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Audio version added to OP enjoy all... good batch this week.
    It's a good topic and Darren's strict lecture sorted a few people out. I notice my pun's not gotten any votes. It's what happens. I just carry on working on my puns, and then suddenly puns become fashionable. I won an award you know.

I keep working on my stories. The gave me "The Great Escape" to do. Naturally I did it with puns, but I was told that adding puns reduces the gravitas of the Drabble. Well I think they add a nice baroque feel to my stories.

I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Quite polarized voting this week. Definite winners and losers.

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    That was Ian McKellan... I mean, Phillips. Yes, our very own Ian Phillips.
    Thanks for the info Erik

Originally Posted by Ian Phillips View Post (Source)
    Thanks for the reading Ian

Quite polarized voting this week. Definite winners and losers.
    Well, with only 4 votes in at the moment, I'd hardly call it polarized. Especially after last week's run that looked more like a horse race.

Speaking of horse races... I bet on the best horse last weekend at the track. It took seven other horses just to beat him!

And 'Kow, my 13 year old son and I listened to the drabble audio last night and he was just laughing along at your vocal antics and catching many of the puns I figured would initially escape him.

awesome!! I'm happy knowing someone is listening to them!

...isn't sure what's going on. Moderator T.j's Avatar
    Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    awesome!! I'm happy knowing someone is listening to them!
    I'll be downloading it and listening in the car on the way home.

Me and the kids listened to the last one and had a good giggle.

Love em.

Originally Posted by Erik Marcaigh View Post (Source)
    Well, with only 4 votes in at the moment, I'd hardly call it polarized. Especially after last week's run that looked more like a horse race.

Speaking of horse races... I bet on the best horse last weekend at the track. It took seven other horses just to beat him!

And 'Kow, my 13 year old son and I listened to the drabble audio last night and he was just laughing along at your vocal antics and catching many of the puns I figured would initially escape him.
    On reflection perhaps polarised was the wrong word, but caught up as I was in the excitement of a newly dawning drabble, it seemed right at the time - there were those with votes (some with more than one) and those without.

How most things have changed since those far flung days when I was still young and naive.

--edit ---
    I can't even rely on myself keeping to null-pointe. Seems like I can't even be a good pun-dit

On reflection perhaps polarised was the wrong word, but caught up as I was in the excitement of a newly dawning drabble, it seemed right at the time - there were those with votes (some with more than one) and those without.

How most things have changed since those far flung days when I was still young and naive.
    To be honest I just set it that way to make the pun stick in the victim's head for longer. Years from now during the middle of the night, Ian will start from his slumber yelling...
    It's Christmas so the grater's cape is on the television again!

I got two more votes than I was expecting <grin> Thank you voters.

I'm sure I'm helped out by these audio versions. The reading of Yaffle's Drabble was particularly polished. Any of you floating voters out there should go vote for it now.

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    To be honest I just set it that way to make the pun stick in the victim's head for longer. Years from now during the middle of the night, Ian will start from his slumber yelling...
    It's Christmas so the grater's cape is on the television again!

I got two more votes than I was expecting <grin> Thank you voters.

I'm sure I'm helped out by these audio versions. The reading of Yaffle's Drabble was particularly polished. Any of you floating voters out there should go vote for it now.
    Agreed, Yaffle's entry was definitely very good and worthy of votes.

However, I would urge any undecided voters to give equal consideration to Splendour's excellent entry.

He considered the topic, and then rather than making a plodding reference to that war movie suggested by the topic, instead flipped the narrative to reference one of that film's most notable characters.

Just put my vote in, and it turned out to include the two leaders

It's a new day in the UK and y'all should be (sorta) waking up... So grab a cuppa and read the Drabble entries we have this week (and/or listen to Psykokow's audio in the link on the 1st post) and vote for your favorite three!

And if reading all these Drabbles inspires you to write, well... check back in our stickied post for the theme Monday and write one yourself!

It's really easy. And it's not, um, addicting at all. *cough*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast