Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Starting the Great Journey

  1. #16
    Yeah, donít touch any hoop shaped objects.

    Donít accidentally release ancient intergalactic parasites.

    Donít make contact with religious alien super conglomerates.

    Dont forget to change your COVAS every 7 years. (In case theyíre not as dumb as you think)

  2. #17
    Originally Posted by Brandeezy24 View Post (Source)
    Flugel, you donít need a mining laser heís just pulling your leg.!
    Errrr no I'm not. Read this thread and then tell me a mining laser isn't useful.

  3. #18
    Originally Posted by Brandeezy24 View Post (Source)
    Flugel, you don’t need a mining laser he’s just pulling your leg. Everything you need for synthesis can be found planet side. You can’t synthesize fuel per say, however you can use mats to increase jump range for a little while. I might suggest before heading out, go to the panel on your right, tabbing over to synthesis and see what those are. Visit a raw mat broker and stock up before heading out!
    Wrong, as Felix Macedonia can testify to. He found that he had run out of germainium, and none of the planets in the two systems he could get to had any. The planetary rings did have germainium, but he did not have a mining laser. Chiggy von Rictofen headed out, and over 20 hours (and 40,000ly later) they met up, and Chiggy got to work on a ring or two. Not long afterwards he mined so germanium, Felix collected it, and now could escape from the two systems. Here is the story in detail;

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...nd-of-the-Road

    Ninja-ed by Evoflash!

  4. #19
    Originally Posted by Evoflash View Post (Source)
    Errrr no I'm not. Read this thread and then tell me a mining laser isn't useful.
    Originally Posted by Hell Razor5543 View Post (Source)
    Wrong, as Felix Macedonia can testify to. He found that he had run out of germainium, and none of the planets in the two systems he could get to had any. The planetary rings did have germainium, but he did not have a mining laser. Chiggy von Rictofen headed out, and over 20 hours (and 40,000ly later) they met up, and Chiggy got to work on a ring or two. Not long afterwards he mined so germanium, Felix collected it, and now could escape from the two systems. Here is the story in detail;

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...nd-of-the-Road

    Ninja-ed by Evoflash!
    If I recall correctly, Chiggy has actually pulled off that type a rescue a couple of times. While a mining laser isn't necessary for a lot of exploring I would say if someone is going to be out long term and flying places where using synthesis materials are needed that is a situation where I would recommend it. Which brings up another tip: Before using a boosted jump to get to a hard to reach spot, be sure you have twice the materials you will need. That way you can get back.

  5. #20
    Well Iíll admit when Iím wrong. I guess a mining laser COULD be useful if a pilot does run into a situation like the thread above. Is it a mandatory module in an exploration build Iíd say no but others might say it is. I think itís more of a precautionary measure than anything else but in my personal experience, I havenít run into situations like that just because Iím pretty meticulous in my flight planning. Sure it is useful but I donít think itís absolutely mandatory. In the thread, the OP even attributed the incident to not paying attention.

  6. #21
    I agree that a mining laser is not a MANDATORY module, but it can help a Player out of a tight spot. One of the multitude of sayings I have built up is "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst". The weight of a mining laser might cost you a bit of jump range, but allow you to gain resources that will allow you to improve your chances of survival.

    My Asp Explorer has mining lasers because I do suffer from motion sickness when driving the SRV. I do not get unwell when flying around asteroids. This means that I can choose a way of avoiding having to drop out of the Game for a while.

  7. #22
    As one explorer to another...think about how to amuse oneself in the black and take that into consideration when deciding what ship to use and what toys to take...personally I dont go out without SLF and at least 2 SRV these days cos yer sanity? Kiss that goodbye...if not on the way out, then theres always the long trip back to basecamp fer tea and clotted cream scones.

    In many ways, just doing distance is explorations version of grind...and sadly too much of it will burn ye out...fair warning is all...many have ventured into the black on a whim only to be profoundly shocked to find just how much of it is the very defintion of wilderness and solitide...not every mind can mentally cope with that fer prolonged timeframes...many just suicide back...

    Im assuming yer wanting to explore and not just do the tourist whistle stop tour which is easy enough done in a DBE...exploring is more fun than just travelling from nebula to nebula though mayhaps thee may not agree after 3 months of it.

    Staf safe in the black cmdr and good luck ^

  8. #23
    Originally Posted by GroundxZERO View Post (Source)
    Yeah, don’t touch any hoop shaped objects.

    Don’t accidentally release ancient intergalactic parasites.

    Don’t make contact with religious alien super conglomerates.

    Dont forget to change your COVAS every 7 years. (In case they’re not as dumb as you think)
    Spartans Never Die!

  9. #24
    Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    As one explorer to another...think about how to amuse oneself in the black and take that into consideration when deciding what ship to use and what toys to take...personally I dont go out without SLF and at least 2 SRV these days cos yer sanity? Kiss that goodbye...if not on the way out, then theres always the long trip back to basecamp fer tea and clotted cream scones.

    In many ways, just doing distance is explorations version of grind...and sadly too much of it will burn ye out...fair warning is all...many have ventured into the black on a whim only to be profoundly shocked to find just how much of it is the very defintion of wilderness and solitide...not every mind can mentally cope with that fer prolonged timeframes...many just suicide back...

    Im assuming yer wanting to explore and not just do the tourist whistle stop tour which is easy enough done in a DBE...exploring is more fun than just travelling from nebula to nebula though mayhaps thee may not agree after 3 months of it.

    Staf safe in the black cmdr and good luck ^
    I've given this trip a lot of thought, and can understand why some people might get fed up with it and opt for a quick death instead of the endless void of silence and isolation. But there's a good reason for taking this trip. I'm not big on trading or mining, and I only enter combat if I have to, so exploration is the game here. Being a Star Trek fan and a general all round fan of astronomy, I'm looking forward to being in the middle of nowhere, taking some amazing images. The bonus of doing this will be the handy nav data that I can cash in and seriously work on my DBX and then an out and out combat vessel when I'm ready for something different, or if the Thargoid thing really escalates to the point of all out war, everywhere.

    I'm hoping that I can find some really interesting phenomena out there, something that no one else has encountered. It's a slim chance, but I'm willing to spend months out there in the hope that it happens. If not, I'll have plenty of nav data to cash in. besides, I enjoy the silence. After all, it's probably safer ; )

  10. #25
    I've decided that more preparation is required for this.

    Beagle point (which I'm not visiting in this trip) is some 65k light years from Sol. But I'm going to circumnavigate the galaxy itself, in a roughly circular route. This is a massive undertaking as I'm estimating to cover as much as 150,000 light years, if not more, with loads of scan data from system honks and surface scans. I'm in two minds as to whether or not I should surface scan at least one planet in any given system once I've travelled at least 1,000 light years from the Bubble. This will seriously slow my progress, but I'll obtain more scan data this way and perhaps even discover a previously unexplored system.

    Based on my current game time this trip might take as long as a year in real terms, but I'm aiming to maintain a log on the forums to post imagery, stories, and to prevent myself from going insane. And to stay in the loop.

    I'm still using the DBX.


  11. #26
    Originally Posted by Flugel Meister View Post (Source)
    Beagle point (which I'm not visiting in this trip) is some 65k light years from Sol. But I'm going to circumnavigate the galaxy itself, in a roughly circular route.
    So you may, could, possibly visit Beagle Point as it is on the outskirts of the galaxy.

    Originally Posted by Flugel Meister View Post (Source)
    I'm still using the DBX.
    The DBX is a good ship, however, for a trip like you're planning I would personally go with the ASP Explorer simply because it has better internals. I would carry 2 SRVs and an AFMU or 2, would not be that fussed about engineering anything other then the DSS for longer range. As your primary intent is to explore then jump range is not that important but being able to repair the ship would be, as it will be a while before you dock in a station again.

  12. #27
    Originally Posted by UseLessUK View Post (Source)
    So you may, could, possibly visit Beagle Point as it is on the outskirts of the galaxy.


    The DBX is a good ship, however, for a trip like you're planning I would personally go with the ASP Explorer simply because it has better internals. I would carry 2 SRVs and an AFMU or 2, would not be that fussed about engineering anything other then the DSS for longer range. As your primary intent is to explore then jump range is not that important but being able to repair the ship would be, as it will be a while before you dock in a station again.
    Beagle Point probably won't feature this time. But I might pop into Colonia.

    I've been tempted by the ASP Explorer before. Great internals but I've been a fan of the DBX for a while now. I'd love the Anaconda for its superb jump range and defensive capabilities but it's way above my price bracket for the moment.

    Appreciate the advice, though.

    I'm taking a Star Trek approach with this, hoping to explore brave new worlds and seek out new life and civilisations.

  13. #28
    Others have added excellent tips, so I'll just throw my few pence in:

    1: Take a mining laser. Seriously. Having an SRV and mining laser as two different options for materials gathering is essential on a long trip when you don't know exactly what you'll face.

    2: Have a plan of how you want to explore; sounds like you do already anyway, but think about how you will plot your route and what you want to see: Having waypoints and targets will break up the journey nicely, and make you feel the flush of progress as you achieve them, rather than looking at the whole journey in one go

    3: Good shields can save you a lot of grief from hard landings - however careful you are, sometimes things don't end up the way you intend!

    4: If you are going to survey systems even a little bit, then a long-range or fast-scan engineer of the DSS will save a lot of time. I go for long-range; I can usually scan a complete gas-giant system from one or at most two vantage spots, rather than having to practically eyeball each moon

    5: Enjoy the views - the game excels at them, and it is a large part of what makes exploration so appealing to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12