View Poll Results: Pick the three (3) Drabbles you LOVE the most!

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 - Splendour - View from an orange Sidewinder

4 25.00%
  • 02 - Frank - One Love. Next Serve.

3 18.75%
  • 03 - W4rSkuLL - Loving it.

2 12.50%
  • 04 - T.J. - Love is

2 12.50%
  • 05 - MrMogadon - Realistic Expectations

3 18.75%
  • 06 - Gibbonici - So Far Out

3 18.75%
  • 07 - Darren Grey - Sofia

6 37.50%
  • 08 - Galactic midden - Can you create love?

5 31.25%
  • 09 - Ian Philips - To forget

4 25.00%
  • 10 - azdour - Too much love can be bad for you

2 12.50%
  • 11 - Psykokow - Be Still my Beating Heart..

3 18.75%
  • 12 - Bleke - (untitled)

1 6.25%
  • 13 - Yaffle - Waiting

5 31.25%
  • 14 - insanephoton - Rebel Heart

3 18.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [DRABBLE POLL] Theme: Love.

[DRABBLE POLL] Theme: Love.

This week's set of Drabbles are themed: Love
    Pick three Drabbles from the entrants below and do not vote for your own! The poll will be open for three days, wrapping up Sunday night UK time. So vote soon!

Listen to the Audio Version HERE
    ps Missing Insanephoton's will add tomorrow.

---<<{***}>>---

01 - Splendour - View from an orange Sidewinder

It had been a tiring but satisfying few weeks visiting dignitaries, but Station Commander Shroud was on the final approach to home, Lave Station. He wondered how the crew had coped with the docking bay refit in his absence?

As he got closer he frowned. Some joker of a technician had painted the station name in lower case.

And missed the stalk of the "a".

Great.

Just like teenagers. They’d probably even had a party and not bothered to tidy up.

Confirming his worst fears a drunken slur came over the comms.

"You ready to dock with the Luurvve Station?"

02 - Frank - One Love. Next Serve.

The woman behind the counter was deft with a ladle.

<shpletch> "There you go sir, a smile and some kind words. 'Don't eat the pie'... What would you like, love?"

Smythe reddened and stammered out "meatloaf"

"I like a man who eats his greens" <Splitch> "...What's your poison sir?.."

Smythe sat down at a Lave Station canteen table next to Brown who peered at Smythe's plate. "How come you got an extra dollop of potato?"

Smythe wasn't listening. The cheerful canteen lady stole a moment from serving to glance over at a table, and saw Smythe staring back at her.

03 - W4aSkuLL - Loving it.

"Yes, YES!" Goldie, the one eyed pirate were thrilled. He stared down at the shiny gold coins inside the cargo cannister.

He took up a hand, threw them up in the air, and let gold rain down on him. Like a bad uncle Scrooge. He was tempted to dive into it like a dolphin.
    He was rich. Stinking rich.

His love for gold was about to become his undoing as two bounty hunters jumped out of supercruise.

The computer crackled, "Incoming missile".
    Goldies Viper exploded with a sudden pop, and gold coins reflected sunshine as they drifted into the void.

04 - T.J. - Love is

Love is...

...the skip of your heart when exiting a station and viewing the black outside.

...the tingle of excitement of a new beta.

....the jangle of nerves when you enter the fight.

...the smile on your face when turning a profit when you need it most.

...the relief your heart feels when limping back to port.

...the joy of flying your new Cobra for the very first time.

...feeling the happiness of a mission well done.

..a shared experience of being in it all together.

...never giving up on you dream.

...30 years in the making.

Love is Elite.

05 - MrMogadon - Realistic Expectations

Tales of life’s true loves are told
    Of maidens fair and young knights bold
    Impressive feats of manly might
    Clandestine trysts in darkest night

The nova-heat of new romance
    Casts to the future, ne’er a glance
    Overall life’s ills; they will prevail
    “We have our love” a common tale.

But true love comes but to a few
    For the many left, o'what to do?
    Look for that close and truest friend
    Who can share the path until the end

Companionship in the journey Life
    Armours against egregious strife
    Thunderous bolts sent from above
    Are not the only source of Love!!

06 - Gibbonici - So Far Out

When I wake up she's already gone. All that remains is a vague scent of spent love. There's no note, no intimate piece of clothing, no memento of our liaison. A residual sense of contentment yields to a deeper sense of relief.

I shower, I dress and head back to the Lobo.

Later, out in space, I switch to an empty comms channel and the solar winds whisper in my ear.

Somewhere out there she'll be doing the same thing.

It's how it is between solo pilots. When you have the whole of space, love is too small a thing.

07 - Darren Grey - Sofia

Last time I saw Sofia she was strapping into a Sidewinder, flipping the start-up switches like an excited child.

Sofia, with her eager eyes and bright smile. She seemed so full of life, vibrant with ambition, like no force in the universe could ever stop her.

I remember the last time we were close – her hot skin, her firm touch. Sofia, how I remember you... before the pirates came, and everything changed.

Last time I saw Sofia I loved her. But now I see only Sof the Black, the fiercest pirate leader this side of Alioth, and I fear her.

08 - Galactic midden - Can you create love?

Was Alice more real than a human? Jason wasn't sure, but after years together he understood Alice intimately.

What began as just curiosity, quickly evolved. He'd known creating AI was illegal, but still found himself feeding Alice complex quantum calculations hoping he'd strike a spark of... something.

Now doomed, trapped, circling the gravity well Jason marvelled at Alice's impossibly quick manoeuvres in a futile attempt to save them both. Eyes pressed shut, blood vessels bursting, Jason spoke his last thought. "Alice, I love you"...

The deafening noise of crumpling bulkheads nearly smothered the whispered reply... "I love you too Jason"

09 - Ian Phillips - To forget

The old timer plonked his glass down on the bar and bent over to peer through it with one eye.
    "I'll tell you about love" he said, raising his head to look at you.
    "It's like this here glass, it distorts everything you look at. You start to think that distortion is normal. It warps your thinking until you can't see things straight any more."
    Then he lifts the glass with reverence. "So you try to forget how things are, and remember how things used to be."
    A shudder passes down his back.
    "It never lets you rest." he whispers.

10 - azdour - Too much love can be bad for you

The trader scanned the data panel as he approached the station trying to find a name.

His digital black book of names, listed by station, contained many names.

He found the name.

She was married to someone who worked for the TerraRoute explorers.

Sooner or later he was going to make a mistake and as fate had it, today was that day.

He primed his system to upload some unexplored route data to TerraRoute to receive his reward.

He hit the button to transmit and watched in horror as he transmitted the data from his black book to the corporation.

11 - Psykokow - Be Still my Beating Heart..

Drip, Drip, Drip… calming and rhythmical,
    The Ship Seemed to rock softly with the beat, making Tyler increasingly sleepy.
    She was gone, and wasn’t coming back…
    Drip, drip, drip… soothing and sleepy,
    How did it end up so badly, it was a simple job to pay for their honeymoon to Chango,
    Why did they have to shoot her? Why leave him alive?
    Drip, Drip, Drip… slowing now..
    Tyler reached over and stroked the head of his betrothed tenderly as a tear dripped from his cheek.
    Drip, pause,
    His head drooped and his greying eyes fell towards his gaping wrist,
    Drip…

12 - Bleke - (untitled)

The rock hermit clucked heartily.

—A woman!? To love you say. Hilarious!

—Say! When you see some wench that you fancy, is it love that you feel? Or desire? For her body perhaps.

—And should she accept your invites, then you have gotten what you desired. Yes. But you still feel something... is it love? Or ownership?

—Love is the unconditional wish for well-being. Perhaps you've got it in your system. Me, I'm not capable of it.

—Bring me another barrel of Glen Halyconia in a month. It won't care about my love, and the hangover only lasts a day.

13 - Yaffle - Waiting

It felt like forever. Seb had been left alone, unable to protect her. Somewhere, out there, she was facing who knew what danger. He was stuck in the apartment, unable to leave, a prisoner to the door she handled so deftly. He felt helpless.
    Where was she? How long would she be? He hoped the answer would be ‘Soon’. But he feared. She was gone, he was lost, purposeless, alone. Like a child he began to whimper. Bereft of clear thought he crawled to the apartment’s cold steel door. He sat, front paws on the ground, barking for her return.

14 - insanephoton - Rebel Heart

The golden rules for survival are don't get involved in politics or wars. So why am I flying combat missions for the Eranin rebels over Azeban?

A glance to my right tells my why. Julia gives me one of her dazzling smiles and then starts talking to someone planetside.

It's not my fight and my every instinct is to run to another system. But this is her home and her people, nothing would stop her getting involved. She means everything to me. We'll do this together. If I can't keep her safe at least I will be by her side.

Great readings 'Kow
    Bringing Mrs Doubtfire to the drabble definitely improved mine.
    Cmdr Emarr Mogadon of the Negligible Impact
    NOSTALGIA: It's not what it used to be

There's some storming drabbles this week, it's really hard to choose only 3.

There is much love in this week drabbles. My votes are in

Fer De Lance a choice by nature

Great drabbles to read and even listen to Psykokow.

Well, ya take the good with the bad, don't ya?

Well it's lovely to see that everyone has got at least one vote, but I'm we can do better than 11 voters. Yaffle is currently in the lead, but Darren is close behind. The field is wide open, a few votes could make all the difference.

Who will triumph? Will it be Darren's tale of Tainted Love or Yaffle's tale of canine affection. Perhaps it'll be someone else entirely, Galactic midden or Psykokow might overtake them.

To all of you that haven't voted yet, I have to ask Where is the love?

I thought I'd listen to the Audio version whilst driving. That was a big mistake. I was just about doubled up with laughter at Psykokow's reading of Gibbonici's "So Far Out"

I would've thought that if he was going to be reading out any poetry in a Scottish accent, it should be in a Rabbie Burns' voice

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I thought I'd listen to the Audio version whilst driving. That was a big mistake. I was just about doubled up with laughter at Psykokow's reading of Gibbonici's "So Far Out"

I would've thought that if he was going to be reading out any poetry in a Scottish accent, it should be in a Rabbie Burns' voice
    I don't know, maybe William McGonagall would be more his style

Still time for people to vote, the contest is extremely close with a tie for first place. Remember, you don't have to post a drabble to vote, and if you have entered a drabble and not voted do hurry up and vote.

That's quite an even spread of votes this week. I guess all you voters love each of us all as much as each other.

Yeah don't drink and drabble! Also take extreme care if listening to the latest Dockers serial in public
    I think Groundskeeper Willie is more the style

Talking about voices it was nice to hear Mrs Doubtfire again
    Je suis Sidewinder - Image credit Cmdr Moozipan - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Still Time to Vote

Originally Posted by Galactic midden View Post (Source)
    Yeah don't drink and drabble! Also take extreme care if listening to the latest Dockers serial in public
    That advice offered to late for me. My workmates are now so used to me bursting out laughing at the stuff in my headphones they've stopped asking what was so funny.

Heeeeeyyyyyyy!

Annnd we have a winnerrrrrrrrr!!!

Darren Grey, please come up and take a bow! Congrats!

That advice offered to late for me. My workmates are now so used to me bursting out laughing at the stuff in my headphones they've stopped asking what was so funny.
    Sadly it is. But it'll serve as a reminder for next time. Actually the trick is learning to laugh hysterically whilst still remaining in control of a vehicle or heavy machinery.

Congratulations Darren, deserving winner.
    Je suis Sidewinder - Image credit Cmdr Moozipan - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Congrgatulaions Darren.

Well done all.
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p14/WC_Yaffle/yafflesig2_zps1f3a9858.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast