Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Proof of concept interactive starchart

Proof of concept interactive starchart

Here is a web app that displays nearby systems.

With route calculation in place, this part is not relevant anymore:
    It is still in an early stage, and is quite useless for anything else other than virtual stargazing, but shows that even a 3D map can be displayed in 2D reasonably well. Currently it displays at most 60 stars within a 25 Ly radius. (Seems to work with Mozilla and Chrome) If there are many systems nearby, only the 60 closer ones are shown, to avoid overlap. For example around i Boötis only the stars within a 20.5 Ly radius are shown.

The maps are created using the X and Y coordinates of the stars. Then a simulation is performed, with all visible stars acting like having an electric charge, and pushing each other around until all names are visible.

Special thanks to forum members kfsone, Smacker, Codec and Chromatic for their work and inspiration for my project.

Interesting, nicely done.

Added jump distance calculation, with clock hours showing jumps needed. Use proper eye protection to prevent them from falling out.

Originally Posted by taotoo View Post (Source)
    Interesting, nicely done.
    Thank you!

I can't seem to get it to work in my Firefox, version 32.0.3 (latest one). Tried disabling any and all security and blocking stuff. Seem to get a number of JS errors and warnings. Looks like a neat app.

Added: even tried safe mode, same results.

Nifty. I like the proof of concept, can't wait to see what can be done with it. Course planning?

Originally Posted by Rhaedas View Post (Source)
    I can't seem to get it to work in my Firefox, version 32.0.3 (latest one). Tried disabling any and all security and blocking stuff. Seem to get a number of JS errors and warnings. Looks like a neat app.

Added: even tried safe mode, same results.
    Sorry about that. Unfortunately I am no web developer. The page is really just an SVG wrapped in HTML. I thought it had no JS whatsoever, maybe I can check tomorrow.

Originally Posted by thebullfrog View Post (Source)
    Nifty. I like the proof of concept, can't wait to see what can be done with it. Course planning?
    Yes! I plan to display routes on mouse click, and change the map to the destination only on another click for mobile support. Adding the routes to the SVG is trivial, but making it behave the way I want will take some time for me.

Add some color coding and you have your 3rd dimension.

Blue getting darker for above the plane and red getting darker for below.

Very interesting.

Very clever!

Very bookmarked!!

Now, to get data from Beta 2!

Very interesting. Especially the route planning mechanism planned.

would love this on a tablet tbh

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions.

I don't want to use colors for vertical positions, because I would like to reserve colors only for interactive output (routes). That's why they are represented with vertical lines. They are not that relevant anyway, because the X and Y coordinates shown are not correct anyway.

Comparing the true map around Acihaut to the cleaned up variant shows how much pushing around happens in the first place.

Mobile/tablet support is definitely planned, but this will be the hardest to do for me. Both panning and zooming need to be supported for this map to be of any use, in addition to the actual route planning, which I plan to implement today.

Added simple route planning. First click selects destination, second click changes the view.

Still missing: refuel points are not shown, and text display for route (necessary for off-chart stops, these are represented by a dashed line in the graphic).

Added ship setup section, and route display with refuel information.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast