Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Trackir 5

Buying Trackir 5

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I have been watching youtube videos of Trackir 5.

I've ordered a table and chair this week, things are getting serious, no more balancing keyboards and joy sticks off laps or trays anymore for me

So then I was kind of curious how some ED videos pilots where managing to look up through the roof of the cockpit to follow there enemies, and that's when the penny dropped, Trackir.

So first question wheres the cheapest place I can get me hands on one.

Second, lot of mixed reviews about the track clip pro, some say don't get it, to flimsy and others say its better to have on the headset.

since ill be using VA ill be wearing headphones most the time.

My monitor is only 20 mm thick will this be a problem for the camera to sit on ?

Much appreciated any feedback of any users of the Trackir.

TrackIR is good but way over priced for what it is imho. I use to have Trackir 3 which stopped working within 12 months, I'd never buy another one.

While waiting for Oculus Rift Consumer release, I'm just using facetracknoir and a second hand PS3 cam total cost $8 and is good enough with the right lighting.

JR.

Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post (Source)
    Hello everyone,
    Hellooooo

Unless you buy it second hand, I'd say Natural Point (the actual creator of the device) online shop is a good place to go. I have yet to find another place where it's cheaper.

Second, lot of mixed reviews about the track clip pro, some say don't get it, to flimsy and others say its better to have on the headset.
    It is indeed a bit flimsy, but will hold its own perfectly well if you're not too brutal. And yes, if you plan on using a headset, go for the pro clip. Also, it is much more accurate than the standard reflectors.

My monitor is only 20 mm thick will this be a problem for the camera to sit on ?
    Yup, might be. The cam is a tripod, and its legs minimum spread is bigger than 20mm to me. Don(t worry, though, you can always figure out something. Not to mention that it has a slight gimbal freedom, so you can adjust things a bit.

Any Sim be it flight or space will benefit from TrackIR. I also use mine with Arma and DayZ.
    I've had a couple including the 5 that I have now.
    Track clip pro is certainly a benefit if you are going to use it anywhere with high sunlight levels, but that will always reduce the accuracy.
    I agree that it is expensive and a bit fagile (I've converted mine to use with a wireless headset and is a testament to black tape and wire) but once you have used one it's hard to do without. :smilie:

It might be worth considering EDtracker as its is a lot cheaper but I dont know how many other games it works with http://www.edtracker.org.uk/ see this thread too http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15316

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I have been watching youtube videos of Trackir 5.

I've ordered a table and chair this week, things are getting serious, no more balancing keyboards and joy sticks off laps or trays anymore for me

So then I was kind of curious how some ED videos pilots where managing to look up through the roof of the cockpit to follow there enemies, and that's when the penny dropped, Trackir.

since ill be using VA ill be wearing headphones most the time.

Much appreciated any feedback of any users of the Trackir.
    I'm using TrackIR5 now since a few years already... too expensive or not, it's worth and I'm really happy with (wouldn't fly w/o anymore!!!).

At the moment I'm using Oculus Rift DK2.....

Well, the guy who's impressed passing from a screen to TrackIR, will be VERY pleased of, compared to his Screen. Passing from TrackIR to OR DK2, the guy will be VERY pleased of compared to TrackIR :-) :-)

OR DK2 is a tick above TrackIR, as the TrackIR is a tick above a single screen.

if you have the money, get the TrackIR, and wait until OR has a better resolution (DK2 is way better then DK1, but, the resolution even if easly playable, needs improvements.)

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

Defiantly going to go for it.

I've been following DK1, DK2, and one day I will buy it, but for now im happy to wait for 12 months while they sharpen the technology maybe wait for a DK3 if the is one.

I know it seems expensive but you've only gotta buy it once that's it, not like buying a GPU every year.

May I start by saying that I agree with the above posters – TrackIR really adds to the gameplay and is well worth considering (despite the cost!)

The clip that comes with the set is pretty sturdy and I have mine permanently mounted on my headset. Being 64 years old, I can't really see me gaming in a baseball cap (!)

I took a calculated risk when I bought mine from the USA through eBay. It guaranteed that there would be no customs charges, and this proved to be true. Oh, and it came within a week so I've got no complaints about the service.

TL: DR - go for it!

I just bought one off the Trackir site for $204.54 which is about 127 pounds with the clip & delivery :smilie:

All excited

I just bought one off the Trackir site for $204.54 which is about 127 pounds with the clip & delivery :smilie:

All excited
    Ditto

Any ideas on how long it generally takes to ship?

The EDtracker looks like a decent alternative to TrackIR.

One thing to consider is that TrackIR works in 6 axis so if you're in a cockpit you have the freedom to lean into a panel which as far as I can see the EDtracker doesn't do, but then it's a fraction of the TrackIR cost.

It just depends on wether you want the extra axis and how much you want to pay.

I have had my Track pro 3 for nearly 10 years, use it every single day in ED or numerous flight sims so in my book the £150 it cost me originally is good value, especially when I think of some of the GPU's I've bought over the years that have cost me double that and have been out-dated in 6 months.

Guys, I too have been looking at the TIR5 , as currently the OR is a no go because I want to see my keyboard and use it ingame, with my X52pro
    yes yes I have heard all the arguments about not needing to see your joystick or keyboard when using the OR !!! Well I am over 50 and smell of wee, so I do need to see my hardware

Q: has TIR5 got any problems ingame ? especially the UI panels ? I can't recall, but am sure I read something about this ?

ty all for your up and coming replies

p.s. I will be ordering it today

p.p.s I use a triple screen setup, will that matter ?

p.p.p.s bought one from flightstore.co.uk for £139.99 , delivery free(2 or 3 days) but I chose next day(£9.99) , ho hum

Originally Posted by DD_Crash View Post (Source)
    It might be worth considering EDtracker as its is a lot cheaper but I dont know how many other games it works with http://www.edtracker.org.uk/ see this thread too http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15316
    The EDTRacker is great. If Toms Hardware had a "Performance Per Dollar" chart for head trackers the EDTRacker would win hands down.

The fact that the EDTracker was born right here and they are real cottage business are other reasons to pick one up. They are like a real, naturally grown, no GMO, all organic place.

I swear by TrackIR 5, and the TrackClip Pro is great with a headset. It does easily get caught on things and the extra wire can be annoying, but mine hasn't broken yet. The head tracking takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, you really can't go back to coolie hats or padlock views. Plus you'll have a much easier time in dogfights!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast