Page 1 of 13 1235 Last

Thread: Equipment-hunting: good game play, or horribly bad?

Equipment-hunting: good game play, or horribly bad?

We live in a world where even in Angola, you can order a Mercedes and have it delivered. Not in E: D though. We can't order things; we can't even see what items a station produces, and determine if it's worth going back to look again at a later date. It's a completely random crap-shoot. I've gotten about 3 hours game time in so far in B3, and I spent all 3 hours of it trying to get a reactor, a power distributor and 3 fixed low heat lasers. I still haven't found the weapons. I just keep jumping from station to station to station to station to station... I'm even beginning to rage at the elevator now: the problem isn't the elevator - it's the fact that I keep going up and down the bloody things in station after station after station for 3 hours with nothing to show for it! I'd love the elevator if I was thinking "Oh boy oh boy, Imma get new guns!" but I'm not, am I? I'm thinking "Hurry up bloody thing so I can find out that I flew here for nothing again and that it's time to move on to the next place where I will find nothing." Call me crazy, but I don't think this equipment hunting is good game play.

Earning money for equipment can be fun. You have a goal in sight, and can see how much further you have to go. You got choices of how to do it. It can give you a sense of accomplishment.

Finding the equipment on the other hand is nothing like the above. There's no choice of how to do it (can't order, can't reserve, can't search), you have no idea how long it is going to take, you got no alternative ways to do it, you are basically fumbling in the dark, and I personally start raging long before I get what I need. It's also so incredibly boring that I think I just died a little inside. When I finally get some basic gear together I still don't get a sense of accomplishment; I just feel a sense of relief that I will not have to waste any more time, and that I can finally get back to actually playing the game.

Is anyone actually enjoying this soul-withering part of the game? Personally, I'd pay 1000% of retail price without batting an eye - if I could have the bloody things delivered and not have to deal with this any more. I seriously can't stand the endless, fruitless, random searching.

Hmm would you like to order a part and wait a week or so for it to arrive, would that make you happy ?

System type seems to influence what equipment will be available. An Agricultural system, for example, is a lot less likely to be carrying high-end weapons than a High Tech system. Try Styx out, that's the go-to system for many people.

Agreed on the elevators though, what a colossal waste of time. I can understand not being able to actually buy parts until you're in the hangar, but holy crap at least let me see what's for sale without going through that.

I generally like the random nature of it, and having to try different places to find good equipment. However, at the moment the chances for something to appear at all are, imho, much too low. When you have been at 4 different stations in different High Tech systems and the only thing ever offered are guns, cargo racks and refineries, basically, the excited about whether they have that upgrade you are looking for turns into frustration.

So in principle I find the current system right, just the chances of equipment being in stock should be higher.

Originally Posted by Milky82 View Post (Source)
    Hmm would you like to order a part and wait a week or so for it to arrive, would that make you happy ?
    It takes a ship what? 5 minutes to make a jump? Even a 100ly delivery takes less than an hour... Honestly though, I'd wait 24 hours. I really would. If it meant I didn't have to spend hours trolling through stations, I'd wait 24 hours for a delivery. And pay 1000% market price.

You are trying to compare today's world with a hypothetical world 1,000 years in the future. You are also trying to compare real life to a game. Neither are useful comparisons and neither form a good basis for an argument. Searching for the things you want/need is part of the game design and a big part of its philosophy. That, being that along the lines of reward is commensurate to effort. Maybe it is your philosophy, as I see it here, of instant gratification that needs to evolve.

Oh and yes I am enjoying this part of the game immensely.

I'm down with Commanders being able to sit on their rear ends and wait for deliveries of parts so long as people like me out there in space can pirate these delivery ships and take the parts for myself. Mwwwhahahaha!!!!

I like the idea of different systems having different stocks of various pieces of equipment, but I think we can all agree that the system as is can use some tweaking at the very least. Shunting all the damn refineries to refining systems so I don't have to scroll past a million of them while I look for a sub-class 4 fuel scoop would be a nice start.

My experience with beta 3 has been pretty much the same as the OP. Searching for equipment as currently implemented is very frustrating and not fun at all. It shouldn't be this hard to find basic stuff. It wasn't in beta 2.

Absolutely true! Searching modules is the most frustrating thing in the game!

to be more appropriate may the delivery system work with a fee for a start and only work between faction world.

You can Only deliver part from or to a faction world, only world with enough population etc, could be a good add-on to the game, but with limitation and only to a level, if you want better parts move up your

or there can be a catalog to parts and the system where can find them etc, there's a lot of possibility to counter in a limit the random pop

I think that a nice mechanic would be to allow players to post our own missions. You want a piece of kit and can't find it? Post a mission, and a reward. The funds should go into escrow, and any other player can pick up the job and deliver the item to your station of choice.

Originally Posted by OlFart View Post (Source)
    It takes a ship what? 5 minutes to make a jump? Even a 100ly delivery takes less than an hour... Honestly though, I'd wait 24 hours. I really would. If it meant I didn't have to spend hours trolling through stations, I'd wait 24 hours for a delivery. And pay 1000% market price.
    Thats as maybe but, if today is anything to go buy then future suppliers won't even have the bolts in stock, to to fix your weapons, never mind the weapons in stock, and no machinery is built using parts from one factory its all made at seperate locations and then assembled in a new location.
    This is how engineering works today. Trust me I am one

Explore a bit and make a note of the places that sell the good stuff then head back there when you have the moolah for upgrades. Failing that head out into the black yonder and find the win button.

On a side note I'd quite like a filter tool on the equipment lists to find the bit I want on station.

You actually enjoy jumping through station after station for 3 hours straight without finding what you need? Well, to each their own I guess.

I do however very much object to your view though that I'm looking for instant gratification. Like I said, I rather like working for my equipment. That's the key word though: work. I get a choice of how to work. I can see the end of the tunnel, I can watch my progress. Like I also said, I'd happily work 10 times longer to pay 10 times more. That's hardly "instant gratification" - I'd call it dedication to my craft.

Bouncing from station to station for 3 hours though doesn't take skill. It's not a challenge. There's no excitement. I don't see the fun in it. It's like trading, but without the profit. I want to go bounty hunting, mining, interdict traders and explore the galaxy for fun and profit - not just go from station to station to station with no end in sight. That's the point: Elite should be about choosing your path, doing what you find fun and interesting. This equipment hunt is not optional. It's enforced, and it bores me to tears.

Originally Posted by Infomage View Post (Source)
    I think that a nice mechanic would be to allow players to post our own missions. You want a piece of kit and can't find it? Post a mission, and a reward. The funds should go into escrow, and any other player can pick up the job and deliver the item to your station of choice.
    That seems like a reasonable solution and has the advantage of encouraging player cooperation.

Page 1 of 13 1235 Last