View Poll Results: Which three Drabbles deserve to be crowned?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 01 T.j - A dilemma in the throne room or Frank earns his Knighthood the hard way.

1 8.33%
  • 02 Commander Iunno - Untitled at the moment

3 25.00%
  • 03 insanephoton - The king is dead, long live the king

4 33.33%
  • 04 psykokow - Frankly My Dear,

1 8.33%
  • 05 MrMogadon - Leroy Elvers: An Alternate Royality

3 25.00%
  • 06 Bleke - King Sanders' first decree

4 33.33%
  • 07 Splendour - The Finest Tips

2 16.67%
  • 08 Ian Phillips - The King

3 25.00%
  • 09 STABB666 - In the name of God

3 25.00%
  • 10 Galactic midden - Sing for your supper

6 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Poll: Royals

Drabble Poll: Royals

Fireworks whizz and explode in miraculous multi-coloured mushrooms, celebrating one man's dream to rid the world of King James. We now have ten majestic tales about ROYALS which will have you reaching for the gunpowder.

Psykokow's chosen topic has brought a new player to our little contest. Welcome on board Commander Iunno. I hope you get as much a kick out of watching your Drabble receive votes as much as I do.

AUDIO VERSION IS HERE

Pick your favourite three of the above. You can find out who has emerged as the victor on Sunday night. Anyone who votes for himself shall be sent to the Tower.

01 T.j - A dilemma in the throne room or Frank earns his Knighthood the hard way.

King Psykokow sat on his golden throne pondering the decision forced upon him.

There was two way's this could unfold.

• Grin and bear it and hope that things would work their way out to a less agonising conclusion.

• Push as hard as he could and hope the result wouldn't be too damaging.

In a brave choice he went for his number two...

The inevitable destruction was catastrophic.

He called for his first Lord of the Privy with a whispered heartfelt plea.

Frank old chap, could you inflate the rubber ring for me? I had porridge again this morning.

02 Commander Iunno - Untitled at the moment

Teeth rattle in his mouth as the Sidewinder fights the planetary pull. The ship is a relic, weathered and scarred from untold battles.

“The Empire will have your head for this.”

He chuckles at the voice in his earpiece, eye on the temperature gauges. Thrusters roar in the background.

“You’re dead. You’re-“

He shuts out the voice, feels the jolt of the Sidewinder breaking atmosphere. The momentary lurch of artificial gravity correcting itself. His displays show the planet vanishing behind him. The Empire can try to chase him. But even royalty has its dominion.

The skies are for the gods.

03 insanephoton - The king is dead, long live the king

The holo-vert at the station entrance might fool you into thinking that Royals was a classy establishment. Once inside you'd realise how wrong you were. The place stank of booze, cheap perfume and stale sweat, while dancers gyrated on stage. Most people came for one reason, but Danny King knew that the stranger was different. He wanted to see the manager. Danny led him to the office and waited . Raised voices inside were followed by shots. The stranger emerged smiling. 'Congratulations kid.'
    'What do you mean?'
    'Your brother disrespected the cartel. So I 'fired' him. You're the new manager.'

04 psykokow - Frankly My Dear,

The sparkling mirror plated shuttle entered the hanger like a posh disco ball, sending pin pricks of reflected light over the docking bays.
    It seemed to glide to its pad with almost regal precision and landed without the usual crunch, just a polite shushing sound.
    A buzzing crowd of excited people gathered around the ship, jostling to see who could get first glimpse of the occupants of such a stunning ship.
    The door slid open, smoke pouring out causing even more anticipation.
    A dishevelled old timer fell out, surrounded by empty janx cans.
    ‘This is one royal hangover’ exclaimed Frank

05 MrMogadon - Leroy Elvers: An Alternate Royality

He remembered little of his early life, save what his mother recounted: Born to a family of the ruling Elite; after an assassination attempt, he was spirited away for his own protection.

She worked tirelessly to protect him and would be out most nights, often until dawn, scouring the bars at the spaceport for information.

Danger was never far away and frequently enemy agents would come to the house to brutally interrogate her for hours.
    He dreaded her screaming and agonised moans and wished she hadn’t made him promise to stay silent in the alleyway .

She must really love him!!!

06 Bleke - King Sanders' first decree

…after his inauguration was that everybody should stay out of everyone else's business. Especially his.
    Then he bought himself an Asp Explorer and went exploring.

Later, at a party thrown in honor of the king, a traveling federation ambassador caused major consternation when he asked how they knew if the king was still alive. After all, eighty years had gone since anyone caught sight of him.

An elderly lord stood up, sending his chair tumbling. "Who are you to question the authority of king Sanders' rule?", he said, leaning across the table. "He's the best king we've ever had!" "Ever!"

07 Splendour - The Finest Tips

In the cockpit of the battered Cobra, Foss activated the viewscreen. After some brief sparking and a swift clout it activated to show the smiling visage of His Eminence, the Crown Prince of Facece.

"Commander! I understand you have triumphed in my little challenge and brought me the first fresh shipment of Andceeth Darjeeling in record time. I must commend you on your most impressive feat of navigation. Your prize awaits at pad three.”

As she came in to land Foss gazed lovingly at the lines of the Imperial Courier. Now all hers. It's good to work with Royal Tea.

08 Ian Phillips - The King

Asteroids spun lazily in the starlight. Ocassionally the cone of interrupted starlight cast a shadow of pure darkness across another companion in the asteroid field.
    One stellar rock rotated into the light, exposing a Cobra parked on its surface. Still, like its namesake from old Earth, basking in the meager warmth of the distant star.
    A burst of light announced a visitor that slowly cruised along the edge of the asteroid field.
    More light, another ship. An assassin hunting the Royal princess. The Cobra stirred to life, rising slowly from its resting place. He was the King of Bounty hunters.

09 STABB666 - In the name of God

It’s been tough these past few years. So many new systems, so many new people, all wanting be a part of something bigger, greater, altogether more than they could ever manage on their own.

Decisions to weigh carefully, and words to be chosen with equal care. How did father manage to keep himself sane?

Ah, that’s right- he didn’t. Poor old dad, what a mess! I think it was the aliens that finally pushed him over the edge. All that religion stuff didn’t hold up too well in the face of little green buggers.

Well, we’ll soon sort that out…

10 Galactic midden - Sing for your supper

Standing behind his shoulder Kroje whispered urgently to his younger brother Djhonni. "Remember, he's called the King for good reason. He's eccentric and more than a bit mad but everyone who works outside the law needs his permission first. Make a mistake and we're fertiliser! Now repeat what I told you"

"I sing him an Elvis song from ancient Earth, he likes it, we get a juicy contract"

Upon a throne with black quiff and white jumpsuit sat the King. Confidently Djhonni stepped up and sang.

"Oliver's army is here to.... aaarggh!!"

Glowering furiously the King lowered his smoking pistol.

Actually a difficult choice to make!
    (Credit for the image goes to Moozipan)
    Commander Reighdar One man. One ship. One galaxy.

Sorry about the delay, but the AUDIO version is UP.... http://thargoidandfer-de-lance.co.uk...bles071114.mp3
    Link added to the poll post, and RSS feed updated.

Website
    http://thargoidandfer-de-lance.co.uk...theme-royalty/
    RSS FEED
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/AbrakaDrabble

Warning : May contain unsuitable language for persons of an innocent nature, non adults and also immature non sweary folks.

Originally Posted by psykokow View Post (Source)
    Warning : May contain unsuitable language for persons of an innocent nature, non adults and also immature non sweary folks.
    Now I'm really curious! And I have to wait a day before I can download....

I hope you remembered your promise!

Wasn't the standard high this week?

On a completely unrelated topic, I missed the contest. I have to be quicker off the mark. Here's what I would've entered..

By Any Other Name

Jenkins' plumb voice stated "He's that walnut-faced man that points his finger at people and tells them they're fired before he gives them a job."

Queen Katharine groaned, "Didn't he make that awful Holo-Dialer thing? How much did he offer?"

"5,000,000 Credits"

She shrugged, "Okay! A Lordship... Now this oik Archman, he's the politician what wrote that 'A Pocketful of Rockets'. Tell him to naff off for anything less than 7,000,000 Credits.

Jenkins paused. "You don't think all this cheapens the value of these titles?"

"How long have you been with us?"

"23 years."

"Arise Sir Jenkins!"

"Thank you Ma'am."

immature non sweary folks.
    *chortle* how contrarily appropriate.

I'm off to listen to the audio. I just wish we could fit in a bigger poll, 10 seems a wee bit stingy. And Frank missed out
    -----
    Edit : I just listened to the drabble audio. An expert reading good sirs!
    Je suis Sidewinder - Image credit Cmdr Moozipan - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

This is interesting.. it hasn't turned out as I expected at all. But there's still time. The good thing is that my drabble is doing better than I expected.

And thank you again for reading, Psykokow and Ian and Ian!

(I'm getting a mental image of a couple of identical twins, both named Ian.)

Well I'm slightly disappointed at the voting turnout. I'm guessing that all the drabblists have voted but that appears to be all the voters There is still time to vote and it's still close enough that a few votes could change the result. Will Galactic Midden reign supreme or can Bleke steal the crown? Go on vote now, you know it makes sense.

Yeah I think the voting limitation is killing us....

Ah, go on then. I have cast a vote!

Edit: oops. You can tell I'm new to this - I only voted for the one!

Yeah I think the voting limitation is killing us....
    I think we need more dancing girls Maybe we are having difficulty keeping the profile of the voting thread up

But nevermind, I still have the lead!!!!! first time ever for me, and unless someone topples me from the throne and throws me under the guillotine I hope to stay there
    Je suis Sidewinder - Image credit Cmdr Moozipan - p.s. have you tried ABRAKA DRABBLE?

Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)

No problem at all, you can vote up to 3 drabbles, so thats fine

A difficult word to weave in I'd imagine. Entertaining stuff, thanks. Votes cast.

Originally Posted by withnail View Post (Source)

Consider it practice for next week

I was half-expecting the ten vote limit to bring in more voters. Fewer Drabbles means that there's less reading involved. <shrug>.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast