Page 99 of 664 FirstFirst ... 94979899100101104 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 9949

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: No Single Player offline Mode then?

  1. #1471
    Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    I've no idea at the moment. We're planning on supporting this game for some time to come.

    Michael
    David Braben mentioned something like 10 years at one point...right?

  2. #1472
    Originally Posted by Michael Brookes View Post (Source)
    To make that happen we'd essentially have to create two games. The servers handle more than just the data, they handle all the key processes for interaction in the game, so trading, mission generation and background simulation to name a few.

    The decision wasn't made this week, we've spend a lot of time and effort trying to come up with a way that would allow us to support offline play - however the answer is no we can't.

    Michael
    Hi Michael

    You were surely aware from as early in development as two years ago that offline mode was an important (and for some, essential) part of the game.

    Why was it not taken into account from that point in every design decision & technical choice that was made, to allow for that? It's completely inexcusable that it wasn't.

    This isn't a last minute request - it's been there as a core from the start, and serious money has changed hands as a result of what has been advertised for the last two years.

    You might have intended for the best way to play being online only, but many people (including me) really do not care about online. They pledged high or bought the game precisely because it promised an offline mode.

    I am trying very hard to be civil & not let my blood boil up again, but it is extremely hard... especially given the way this has been communicated to the backers without even the courtesy of an apology.

    A refund of my 1000 or so would be out of the question I'm sure. I don't want a refund. I want to know why backers were misled when you had no intention of giving them what they pledged for from day one, as evidenced by the technical decisions made & the corner you appear to have painted yourselves into.

    Thank you.

  3. #1473
    Originally Posted by Titus Balls View Post (Source)
    Yes, it's not about me. It's about everyone.

    The point I was making is that if the rugs are pulled from under Frontier now, then they will have ZERO opportunity to try fix this issue. Do you not think now they see how serious this is to people?

    It's possible Monday morning a not-small number of the team will be pulled off releasing the final game to work on this issue, meaning that what is released on the 16th December might be even less than they hoped to put out for the general public.

    But I wonder if they should now because the damage is already done - everyone has thrown their toys out the pram and by demanding refunds and doing chargebacks based on one newsletter and not giving Frontier a right of reply this is EXACTLY what has happened.
    There is no 'fixing' this issue. No offline mode. Full stop. See Michael's recent posts. I don't think any staff will be moved from current duties. Though they might need some forum mods for a few days.

  4. #1474
    Originally Posted by Titus Balls View Post (Source)
    Yes, it's not about me. It's about everyone.

    The point I was making is that if the rugs are pulled from under Frontier now, then they will have ZERO opportunity to try fix this issue. Do you not think now they see how serious this is to people?

    It's possible Monday morning a not-small number of the team will be pulled off releasing the final game to work on this issue, meaning that what is released on the 16th December might be even less than they hoped to put out for the general public.

    But I wonder if they should now because the damage is already done - everyone has thrown their toys out the pram and by demanding refunds and doing chargebacks based on one newsletter and not giving Frontier a right of reply this is EXACTLY what has happened.
    Good morning Titus,

    Michael has confirmed offline is a dead duck pg 96 ish so no they will not be popping some staff on it Monday.

  5. #1475
    Originally Posted by SJT View Post (Source)
    That's fair enough and I agree with you. But the decision was not made this week. Michael Brookes said so a few posts back. I'd like to know when exactly the decision was made and why the information was kept from backers.
    I believe he responded to that by saying that although the decision wasn't made this week - they had to be absolutely convinced that Offline would not be currently possible. Ostensibly because they knew exactly what the result would be, and wanted to be sure that is what they wanted to do. Far better that, than to make the announcement, then 3 days later turn around on that and go "Oh actually, we can do it"... because that would annoy people even more!!

  6. #1476
    Originally Posted by sngerous View Post (Source)
    Satellite
    are you joking
    we have a satellite e-mail client on our platform
    do you know how many 100,s it cost a day to sevice it
    its 85 a day just to have it there before you even use it

  7. #1477
    Originally Posted by Cross View Post (Source)
    Welp, this certainly leaves me dubious of any further purchases from Frontier.
    It does sort of dampen the old trust thing when a developer goes back on their word. You do tend to think 'What next?'

  8. #1478
    Originally Posted by Juniper View Post (Source)
    Hi Michael

    You were surely aware from as early in development as two years ago that offline mode was an important (and for some, essential) part of the game.

    Why was it not taken into account from that point in every design decision & technical choice that was made, to allow for that? It's completely inexcusable that it wasn't.

    This isn't a last minute request - it's been there as a core from the start, and serious money has changed hands as a result of what has been advertised for the last two years.

    You might have intended for the best way to play being online only, but many people (including me) really do not care about online. They pledged high or bought the game precisely because it promised an offline mode.

    I am trying very hard to be civil & not let my blood boil up again, but it is extremely hard... especially given the way this has been communicated to the backers without even the courtesy of an apology.

    A refund of my 1000 or so would be out of the question I'm sure. I don't want a refund. I want to know why backers were misled when you had no intention of giving them what they pledged for from day one.

    Thank you.
    I'd like to know, but I suspect Michael is the messenger coming on a forum because he cares, while unable to give answers to most of what he's being asked. I've been in the same position.

  9. #1479
    This news makes me pretty sad. I was looking so much forward to this game, and the promise of the offline mode was a key selling argument for me (i would have bought is sooner or later, but key argument for supporting it early). With the new information that have come forth, it means i will only be able to play the game during the weekends.

    Reason is that my workplace is very far away from where i live, so i rent a room near my work during the weeks. Problem is, they do not have any internet connection, and refuse to get one, so i wont be able to play any games that require an internet connection 24/7. That leaves me with 2 options, either find another place to rent or just suck it up and only be able to play 1 and a half day a week. First option is more or less out of the question since there really are no other places to rent. I have tried, trust me. That leaves me with option 2, and that really is'nt an option in my book. So as it stands now, ED will more or less end up on the shelf collecting dust until such a time my situation changes (no time soon i am afraid).

    I am sure i am not alone in this situation, or similar situation.

    So thank you FD for geting me hyped on a game i have been looking forward to and then snatching it away on the finish line. You just made me a very sad camper.

  10. #1480
    Originally Posted by Kicks View Post (Source)
    1) The game is still in beta.
    2) This decision affects anyone who has backed the game.
    3) The Beta-Discussion forums isn't closed off to backers-only, it's just as public as General.
    4) My "It's a conspiracy" joke picture is no more or less trolling than accusing Frontier of deceit.
    5) Do you honestly think David Braben is in to deceit?
    6) I mean really?
    7) No, I didn't think so either
    1) Meaningless. People have purchased a retail pre-realease on the basis that there was going be an offline mode. They are entitled to a refund.
    2) Yes it does. What's your point?
    3) People are less likely to visit the beta forum than the general when evaluating whether or not to buy the game.
    4) I'm serious. I'm not trolling.
    5) I can't say whether David Braben is "in to" deceit on a day to day basis or not. I'm not accusing him personally. I'm accusing the organisation he represented in the newsletter.
    6) As above
    7) As above

  11. #1481
    Originally Posted by Granite View Post (Source)
    David Braben mentioned something like 10 years at one point...right?
    As long as they start work on Elite: Galactic Edition about five years in.

  12. #1482
    Originally Posted by stimutacs View Post (Source)
    Hi Michael,

    I don't really want to refund unless I have to.

    Could I ask for some FD input on this thread -

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58838

    regarding whether it is possible to host ED's servers somewhere geographically more convenient for a lot of your international players? I am dependent on a great deal of internet infrastructure to connect to ireland from eastern australia (saving a thought for people in western australia, which will be even worse), which often has heavy loss and latency issues.
    I'm in Western Australia, and I don't have any issues. I'm not sure what your point is, to be honest, as ED clients don't actually do their "flying" based on realtime data from a server. It's peer-to-peer. The server locations don't seem to matter to my gameplay.

    But that's not the point, as this is server stuff is all about Online mode... not the late, lamented Offline mode.

  13. #1483
    In a way the enormity of making single player as rich as online multi which emulates as near as dammit the Milky way was obvious from the start if you think about it with a handful of DVD-ROMs, and would eventually be beyond the scope of a PC because it would outgrow your hard drive eventually wiiith ny new DLC/updates/patches when you DID manage to update it now and again. And even so, you could make the entire single player install - oh I dunno- 20GB in size, but it would always be stuck in aspic, AND conflict with the cloud/server side galaxies' events. It would be like running two parallel universes/galaxies

  14. #1484
    Originally Posted by Dajunka View Post (Source)
    It does sort of dampen the old trust thing when a developer goes back on their word. You do tend to think 'What next?'
    Funny old thing that "trust" business, eh ?
    Built over years, destroyed in seconds.

    And that is the REAL damage potentially done here.

  15. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1485
    Originally Posted by Juniper View Post (Source)
    Hi Michael

    You were surely aware from as early in development as two years ago that offline mode was an important (and for some, essential) part of the game.

    Why was it not taken into account from that point in every design decision & technical choice that was made, to allow for that? It's completely inexcusable that it wasn't.

    This isn't a last minute request - it's been there as a core from the start, and serious money has changed hands as a result of what has been advertised for the last two years.

    You might have intended for the best way to play being online only, but many people (including me) really do not care about online. They pledged high or bought the game precisely because it promised an offline mode.

    I am trying very hard to be civil & not let my blood boil up again, but it is extremely hard... especially given the way this has been communicated to the backers without even the courtesy of an apology.

    A refund of my 1000 or so would be out of the question I'm sure. I don't want a refund. I want to know why backers were misled when you had no intention of giving them what they pledged for from day one, as evidenced by the technical decisions made & the corner you appear to have painted yourselves into.

    Thank you.
    As I've mentioned elsewhere I understand the sentiment. We have put considerable time and effort to try and make this happen, but we've had to make this decision to make the game we set out to do. We would happily support offline play if it were possible for us to do so.

    Michael

Page 99 of 664 FirstFirst ... 94979899100101104 ... LastLast