Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: David Braben will answer your questions at 4PM GMT/UTC

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #136
    Originally Posted by Kaltern View Post (Source)
    Would you like to explain in some detail why the decision to pull offline mode was only announced a few days ago, and what the reasons for doing so were. Many people are under the impression this was done to enforce DRM and in game advertising.
    Back during the Kickstarter, we were clear about the vision, to make a phenomenal new sequel to Elite in an online world, which we believe we are about to deliver. At the time we believed we could also offer a good single player experience, and base an acceptable offline-only experience off that. As development has progressed, it has become clear that this last assumption is not the case. That experience would be empty at best, and even that would take a lot of extra work.

It is not to enforce DRM or advertising as you suggest. We will be judged on quality, and the quality of that game experience would be poor, and we don't want to deliver a poor game. To make a richer offline single player experience has always been possible (and still is) but would be a separate game with its own story content. A huge slice of separate work. We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all players behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

I don't pretend it was an easy decision, but it was done to benefit the game as a whole. One thing we have looked at carefully is our requirements of the network connection. For the single player game they are pretty light. I myself have played the game fine on the train using a laptop on a tethered connection over my phone. Given that this is a game which is only available online, this was the decision we took. I am sorry that people are so upset about it, but it was the right decision.

Hi David, I registered to post this question. How many star systems do you plan to have on release?
    Will there be different civilizations once we explore the milkeyway?

when did land on planets ?

We we be able to play with our friends in the same server? currently we have to note down which node / ip we are connected to and then disconnect and reconnect until we are on the same one.

Windows 7 Pro x64, NVIDIA Zotac GTX 770 4gb, AMD FX 8350 @4ghz ( Cooled by H40 ), 12GB DDR3 , Asus M5A78L-M/USB3, x2 60gb ssd x1 120gb ssd x1 1tb sshd, TM Warthog, Saitek rudder pedals, TIR5, Trackclip pro, x1 AOC 27" 1920X1080, x2 100w Tactile transducers

HI David, with regards to the P2P model, is this likely to be multi layered? i.e. different data sets due to level of complexity required for human character sets and their interaction with different players?

In future releases , will there be a cobra mark 4 etc :0) and other upgraded ships in the future ?

Mr Braben,

What does the future roadmap for the continued development of ED look like? Can you share any planned features and time frames?

Originally Posted by T.j View Post (Source)
    Again,

Please if a question has already been asked, please don't duplicate it.

Thanks everyone.

On the question of refunds, you can contact the support team on the webstore.
    it would appear it's one particular question that keeps getting duplicated. Maybe a full & frank reply addressing this from David would help?

Hi David

Before any question I would like to congratulate you and the team on producing what so far is an excellent game, unlike some I personally do not care about offline mode. I have been a huge fan since first playing on my BBC Model B back in '84, and have even re-connected with some old friends due to ED (some of whom used to play Elite on my BBC back then )

My question: Will there be specific story drive missions as you gain reputation with the key factions as there was back in the "good 'ol days" ?

I look forward to see you at the Premier Event on Saturday.

Good luck

Mark

Hi David,
    Will we see stellar phenomena like the Eta Carinae outgassing supergiant, or black hole systems like Cygnus X1?
    Thanks again for making this game a reality! We've been waiting for a long time

Will there be an in-game app tie-in? (e.g. iOS/Android)
    It sounded like something was being hinted at.

Originally Posted by David Braben View Post (Source)
    Back during the Kickstarter, we were clear about the vision, to make a phenomenal new sequel to Elite in an online world, which we believe we are about to deliver. At the time we believed we could also offer a good single player experience, and base an acceptable offline-only experience off that. As development has progressed, it has become clear that this last assumption is not the case. That experience would be empty at best, and even that would take a lot of extra work.

It is not to enforce DRM or advertising as you suggest. We will be judged on quality, and the quality of that game experience would be poor, and we don't want to deliver a poor game. To make a richer offline single player experience has always been possible (and still is) but would be a separate game with its own story content. A huge slice of separate work. We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all players behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

I don't pretend it was an easy decision, but it was done to benefit the game as a whole. One thing we have looked at carefully is our requirements of the network connection. For the single player game they are pretty light. I myself have played the game fine on the train using a laptop on a tethered connection over my phone. Given that this is a game which is only available online, this was the decision we took. I am sorry that people are so upset about it, but it was the right decision.
    David, can you start a new KS campaign for offline game? And can we transfer our pledges for offline kickstarter campaign?

Multiple ships

Hi, as a kickstarter backer I am entitled to several different free ships/ starting galaxies. Will you have different character saves (like in World of warcraft)? How will this work please?

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Do you plan on increasing the number of NPC ships around stations in systems that have large populations.
    I would expect to see at least ten, twenty ships flying around and docking in a station in a system that has a population in the billions.
    You would expect these areas to be economic centres busy and bustling..... At the moment they feel plain and empty.

Thanks.

...isn't sure what's going on.
    As David has answered "that" question, could we have some different ones?

Thanks.

Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast