Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 122125126127
Results 1,891 to 1,899 of 1899

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: No Single Player Offline Mode then? [Part 2]

Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post (Source)
    I get that a promiss is a promiss. And so they will refund the ones that want their money back.
    Just don't like the drama queens that draw up images of a unicorn that just got butchered.
    Stick to the game or get your money back. Whining and crying and calling it a generic MMO...wow, seriously.
    Actually, they're not refunding those that want their money back if they downloaded the alpha/beta, that's one of the problems. Plus, a promise really is a promise. They were looking forward (as I was) to an offline game. That's why you're seeing all the "drama queens" as you put it that are "whining and crying" about it.
    -
    And it is now a generic MMO.
    -
    But, as others have said, we'll wait when something the staunch onliners like gets removed or not implemented, maybe then we can start saying: "It doesn't effect me so I don't care. It was never promised. Get over it. If you don't like it, then...."

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post (Source)
    Actually, they're not refunding those that want their money back if they downloaded the alpha/beta, that's one of the problems. Plus, a promise really is a promise. They were looking forward (as I was) to an offline game. That's why you're seeing all the "drama queens" as you put it that are "whining and crying" about it.
    -
    And it is now a generic MMO.
    -
    But, as others have said. We'll wait when something the staunch onliners like gets removed or not implemented, maybe then we can start saying: "It doesn't effect me so I don't care. It was never promised. Get over it. If you don't like it, then...."
    Words cannot adequately express how much I look forward to that day.

Yes indeed.

But, as others have said, we'll wait when something the staunch onliners like gets removed or not implemented, maybe then we can start saying: "It doesn't effect me so I don't care. It was never promised. Get over it. If you don't like it, then...."
    Originally Posted by Zorro View Post (Source)
    Words cannot adequately express how much I look forward to that day.
    e.g. if "Ironman mode" gets cut.
    "Whatever, its not my problem"

Originally Posted by kwh View Post (Source)
    Build a stand alone offline game using the universe & as many of the high level gameplay mechanics of FFE as are currently implemented in ED (so planetary landings can come later), and use all the digital assets, UI & micro-gameplay of the ED online client to build a stand alone game. The plaster it in ads for the full monte online game, and release it as adware, a freely distributable free download from the Frontier Website. Stick it on mag cover DVDs, hand it out on free ED USB sticks at games conventions, share the URL, but make sure the game reminds you whenever you dock that you could be doing this online in a much bigger universe, with your friends, etc etc... so if you are lucky the adware offline version of ED Lite goes viral, and keeps feeding you new players. And if you are an online only player who wants to get your friends into it so you have somebody to fly with, without expecting them to pony up forty quid without ever having any hands on at all with any version of Elite to have a clue why they might want to) to give the full ED experience a try and decide whether they even enjoy it, you can send them the download link & say 'check this out & buy the full online version if you like the idea of an epic MMO version of this...'.
    Basically this. Call it Elite Dangerous Lite, give it for free as effectively a demo, and just make it occasionally remind you, "Hey, wouldn't this be such more cooler with other players, exploring a dynamic universe with more secrets and special missions? Try Elite Dangerous MMO!"

No need to reject this mode based on "vision" at all, if you market it as being a free version that will understandably be missing features.

Originally Posted by piotrr View Post (Source)
    I've said this before, but I don't want a refund. I also don't want anyone at all to suffer, at all. Like ever. But I do want an offline mode, I want to be able to disconnect and just ... zone. Just me and the "static" game. It's my dream since Frontier First Encounters. I even wrote one or two design documents for a follow-up game while I was at Massive Entertainment for that very reason. Man that was ages ago. Point is: I'm not some wild angry drunk, I'm not out for vengeance, I'm not in this to hurt anybody. I had a dream and that doesn't seem to be happening. I am hurt and sad and a little bit fragile. Other people express those emotions differently. Some even turn paranoid over it. Me, I'm mostly sad and trying to deal with it.
    Same here. For what it's worth, I also have a 40-page draft for what I wanted an Elite 4 (or Elite 2 really, wasn't a fan of the Frontier games) to be, basically sketching out how additional features would work but essentially tacked-on to the original Elite.

That's all I need, and why I still play Oolite.

Originally Posted by Andrew Sayers View Post (Source)
    To be clear: discussing the actions of Frontier Development is understandable and acceptable - whether you believe they lied to get your money or they shot for the stars and only reached the moon. It's part of their job to take criticism, and they don't need any of us defending their honour.

Negative comments about other community members that happen to disagree with you are not acceptable. These things always feel justified when we believe we're in the right, but things always read worse in a text box than in your brain, so now is the time for us all to spell out the love we all have for each other (which I'm encouraged to see starting).
    I've had run-ins with the mods here in the past, but I have to say I respect this stance. While I hesitate to call anyone a liar, at some point everybody has lied for various reasons, and as such everything should be assumed suspect given reasonable doubt. And it's always better to argue against points than against people.

I said this before, but it's relevant again: I believe that Frontier did want to implement offline mode initially. I don't believe that it was removed because of technical difficulties, or because of "vision"; neither stand up to scrutiny in my personal opinion.

just out of interest, I count there are 6,434 (count open to correction, was never that good at Maths) physical copies of the game being sent out round or about the 16 DEC, that's just from kickstarter, was the physical box set ever for sale on the web store? reckon it would be fair to surmise a high % of those we're under the belief they would receive a stand alone version of the game. I'm beging to worry that there is a possibility that quite a few of them don't know what's happened! add to that people who may have thought, can't be bothered with the DVD, "I'll just get the download version" and then play it offline! : (

Eh, I'd rather no more features were cut.

As I've said repeatedly, I bear no ill will whatsoever towards any community members (or mods, or any Frontier employee, or even Brookes and Braben themselves), unless they're professional politicians (a man has to have his principles).

If (when) something similar to this fiasco happens again and affects other people I'll stand by them, if I'm around, and in the worst case tell them "I don't want to say ĞI told you soğ, but I told you so".

Not that I might not get some sick satisfaction from seeing some of the most staunch Frontier apologists on this threads do a one-eighty when they're the affected ones, but that'll just be the primate brain doing its thing, and I won't be proud of it. *shrug*

Originally Posted by Polared View Post (Source)
    just out of interest, I count there are 6,434 (count open to correction, was never that good at Maths) physical copies of the game being sent out round or about the 16 DEC, that's just from kickstarter, was the physical box set ever for sale on the web store? reckon it would be fair to surmise a high % of those we're under the belief they would receive a stand alone version of the game. I'm beging to worry that there is a possibility that quite a few of them don't know what's happened! add to that people who may have thought, can't be bothered with the DVD, "I'll just get the download version" and then play it offline! : (
    Oh, most definitely.

I myself read the newsletter and didn't notice anything, till I saw it on Reddit, and I doubt most backers even bother reading the newsletters, and even less this forums.

Yes, the news have appeared on a lot of places, including the BBC, but with the saturation of news on the internet, and gaming being a rather niche topic, I'm sure there are a not insignificant number of backers that'll get a nasty surprise when they try to play the game for the first time.

Does anyone know why FD after getting £1,578,316 from 25,681 backers stopped weekly updates on Kickstarter? I think some many people are going to be pleasantly surprised in December that the game is not DRM free and playable in off-line mode!

Originally Posted by Polared View Post (Source)

I have canceled my refund request. Beat me if I know why I did that... Maybe because I like Elite so much... Although I won't play it online. I'm complete nostalgic retard.

9. This is the last staff post in this thread. #1899
    Hi all,

After lengthy discussion with the moderation team, we have decided to go ahead and close this discussion thread.

We are not closing this discussion in an attempt to shun out people regarding offline mode, but more or less due to the following list of issues that have arose in this thread.

• Extensive circular discussion.
    • Verbal attacks to employees of Frontier and the volunteer moderators.
    • Harassment and threats, to moderators and employees.
    • Continuous baiting and trolling of one another.
    • Numerous off-topic replies.

We kindly ask that you do not create new threads/discussions about this moderation action or the offline issues at this point in time. Thank you for understanding.

Page 127 of 127 FirstFirst ... 122125126127