20/11/2014, 6:03 PM
(Edited. 25/11/2014 at 9:58 PM)
Elite Dangerous Crosshair v1.2
Version 1.2 released 11/25/14!
ONLY works in Windowed mode. DOES NOT inject into the game, just draws a SEPARATE transparent click-through window over the game. DOES NOT read any data from the game. This does seem to work with Fullscreenize.
Again, this does NOT inject into the game. It does not add or modify anything to the game process, and it does NOT read any game data, at all. You could easily make a transparent click-through window with any .NET language and manually line it up over the window, or stick a piece of tape on the screen.
New features in 1.2:
- Added 'nubs' (toggleable) to the crosshair
- Color picking for crosshairs (any color)
- Opacity selector for crosshairs (from 0% to 100%)
- All changes now persist across application launches - When you close and restart it, your settings will be persisted!
New features in 1.1:
- Works on any monitor, not just primary
- Refresh rate lowered to reduce FPS drop
- Changed from console application to a form for easier setup
- Slider to change the size of the reticle
- Option to change line thickness of circle between 1 and 10
- Reticle is only visible when either Elite Dangerous or the EliteDangerousCrosshair application are focused.
- Will not work well with TrackIR. I do not detect which direction your view is facing, since that would require reading data from the game which is currently against policy.
- I have one report of a severe framerate loss, even after reducing the refresh rate. I have tested it on three systems of my own (Ultrabook with Intel Graphics, Quad Core workstation with low level workstation card, and 8-Core AMD 3.5GHz with a gaming card + lots of ram) and haven't experienced any slowdowns at all - at worst, a 1-2FPS drop. Going to need to investigate further.
Possible additional planned features:
- Additional crosshairs (possibly custom, choose a GIF/PNG etc)
- Switching from double buffered graphics to XNA/DirectX overlay (still not injecting into the game, simply a transparent window in Windows itself)
I've been using version 1.0 and this add-on is excellent when I want precise approaches. Shaves a little time off SC (thus less interdictions) and makes Boosting in or out of a station easy and dependable (with no traffic in the gateway).
Thanks! Glad to hear it's useful.
If you have any other feedback or requests, I'd love to hear them.
This look interesting, ill defiantly check this out once the game updates. I've used aiming improvements such as this on previous games and it greatly improved my aiming. Appreciate the effort you put in to make this. Hope to see some possible new features later on.
If you have any suggestions beyond what I've listed, they'd be very welcome. Thanks!
23/11/2014, 11:47 AM
(Edited. 23/11/2014 at 11:51 AM)
Love this, use it constantly.
No issues with v1.1, not that I had any with v1.0
How easy is it to be able to set the colour?
Maybe as a text input for R, G & B?
*edit* Oh yeah, works flawlessly with BorderlessGaming, which is what I've been using for full-screening the windowed mode so I can click on my other monitor without crashing ED.
Downloaded, no issues.
Keep it up
04/12/2014, 3:06 PM
(Edited. 04/12/2014 at 3:11 PM)
Glad to hear it!
There isn't that much interest in this, very much a 'niche' product. It was a fun exercise, but I probably won't continue developing it unless there are requests.
When I read the thread title... I thought you meant a real crosshair - taped some thread across the front of your monitor
06/12/2014, 11:58 AM
(Edited. 06/12/2014 at 12:11 PM)
> ...I probably won't continue developing it unless there are requests. <
RobCubed you're doing a great job and offering an useful addition. But like new TV shows they don't always get good ratings in the first season as many don't even know that they exist. Add in the ED Forum where your posts get lost per so many others posted daily and many probably haven't even seen it only clicking on the "new posts" button and you are on page 3. Word of mouth at the office water cooler has made many TV shows a success. There are internet ways to do this but the ED forum is not one of them.
I think you have something good here especially if you came up with an assortment of different crosshairs to give the user a personal touch. Perhaps later adding in the ability for users to add their own gifs or pngs. Your application goes far beyond ED with many games and with the combination of the borderless gaming (BG) app would be a commercially viable product. BG makes a windows mode full screen and eliminates all the issues when using multiple monitors that some games have including ED allowing the game to continue (not blanking out) when you go to a second monitor to surf the web, check the forum, bring up trade data etc. I use both and it is a perfect combination.
You have an inspired idea here. Don't let the lack of replies in this thread prevent you from perusing it. Work your talent, come up with a solid app and then get an agent to represent you.
If you enable "mouse widget" in the controls menu, you get what is essentially the same thing without having to use a third-party program.